Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,342 members, 7,954,398 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:06 PM

WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! (5496 Views)

Pictures From Tecno Phantom 9 Launch In Lagos / TECNO Phantom 9 Unboxing And Review + Price (photos) / TECNO PHANTOM 9 Wrapped In Aurora-inspired Beauty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jul 15, 2019
fredie107:
Antutu or no Antutu grin

Which should I go for and why?

Redmi note 7
Or
Samsung galaxy A30

Here in Jos, there is a 500 naira difference between them.

Redmi note 7. For every Samsung phone u buy u are paying extra for the brand. Redmi note 7 is the better phone here.
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by DarkJeddi(m): 8:27pm On Jul 15, 2019
greenhulk:

So everybody is a Tecno marketer to u lol. Go check my other messages, I don't do Tecno. I currently use a Galaxy A70. U need to get rid of this mentality of thinking everyone that has a different opinion is a Tecno marketer, it's annoying. Check the image below and still talk about Tecno marketer.

Meanwhile, the display means a lot to every phones. 720p display on a 2019 phone can never be better than 1080p especially when both are amoled. The A40s display is inferior to phantom 9 display. By the way Tecno don't make their own displays, maybe it was probably even made by Samsung so what are we talking. Exynos 7904 has a 14nm chipset clocked at 1.8ghz while Helio P35 has a 12nm chipset clocked at 2.3ghz (if those has any meaning to u then u should already know the more powerful processor).

Now talking about benchmark scores, we have seen phones with the same chipset and different scores. So it all comes down to how the OEM tweak those devices. I have not seen any benchmark scores for the phantom 9, but generally speaking , exynos 7904 scores around 4141 on geekbench multi score while Helio P35 scores 4385. On geekbench single core though exynos 7904 scores around 1318 while P35 scores around 897. But u see all these things don't mean much like real life usage.

Processors aside, Tecno phantom 9 has support for more 4g bands including band 28 for glo 4g which Samsung Galaxy A40s does not support. Like I said, if u put it against the Galaxy A50 then I would tell u point blank that the A50 is a better.
ALL AMOLED displays are NOT made equal,even if they are made by Samsung,

Samsung reserves the BEST for its phones and sells the CHEAP mediocre AMOLED screen to the likes of Tecno..

I'll take a 720P Super AMOLED on a Galaxy A40s to whatever CHAFF Tecno has on their Phantom 9..

The P35 does not show any clear superiority over the 7904 and yet you were quick to condemn the Exynos 7904 of not being a midrange Chipset,compared to competitors?

If that is the case,the Helio P35 does it qualify for a midrange Chipset,compared to the likes of the P60, P70, SD 660 found in other devices of similar price range?

THE Helio P35 built on 12nm may be more power efficient but the A40s has a much bigger battery which you were quick to dismiss,

And yet that should be more than enough to offset whatever advantage the Phantom 9 has on the A40 when it comes to power consumption..

The Phantom 9 may have band 28 but that is not exactly a deal breaker for most Nigerians,glo LTE is NOT available in most parts of the country..

My stand remains that comparing the Phantom 9 to similarly priced devices like the A40s or even the much cheaper A30 is a more apt comparison than to the A50..
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 15, 2019
DarkJeddi:
ALL AMOLED displays are NOT made equal,even if they are made by Samsung,

Samsung reserves the BEST for its phones and sells the CHEAP mediocre AMOLED screen to the likes of Tecno..

I'll take a 720P Super AMOLED on a Galaxy A40s to whatever CHAFF Tecno has on their Phantom 9..

The P35 does not show any clear superiority over the 7904 and yet you were quick to condemn the Exynos 7904 of not being a midrange Chipset,compared to competitors?

If that is the case,the Helio P35 does it qualify for a midrange Chipset,compared to the likes of the P60, P70, SD 660 found in other devices of similar price range?

THE Helio P35 built on 12nm may be more power efficient but the A40s has a much bigger battery which you were quick to dismiss,

And yet that should be more than enough to offset whatever advantage the Phantom 9 has on the A40 when it comes to power consumption..

The Phantom 9 may have band 28 but that is not exactly a deal breaker for most Nigerians,glo LTE is NOT available in most parts of the country..

My stand remains that comparing the Phantom 9 to similarly priced devices like the A40s or even the much cheaper A30 is a more apt comparison than to the A50..

There is no way a 720p amoled display would be better than a 1080p amoled display. Samsung cut cost on the A40s by using a 720p display. Damn 720p display on a phone is so 2014. Nobody does that anymore apart from all those cheap Chinese phones. Amoled is amoled no matter how u try to paint it. There's no such thing as 'chaff amoled'. A 720p display would show more pixels than a 1080p display no matter the OEM.
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by DarkJeddi(m): 9:12pm On Jul 15, 2019
greenhulk:

There is no way a 720p amoled display would be better than a 1080p amoled display. Samsung cut cost on the A40s by using a 720p display. Damn 720p display on a phone is so 2014. Nobody does that anymore apart from all those cheap Chinese phones.
The only CON the A40s display has compared to the Phantom 9 is its lower PPIs..

Apart from that,

The A40s being a Super AMOLED has the better color reproduction,

Higher maximum brightness and lower brightness nit,

And better whites compared to the cold bluish whites of the Phantom..

So,

Yes,the A40s is the all round better display..
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Gptech(m): 9:50pm On Jul 15, 2019
DarkJeddi:

Apart from that,

So,

Bro, a 720p display expecially an Amoled one is unforgivable, I wonder why Samsung chose to cut cost this way, better to sacrifice a little battery juice and leave it at 1080p. You can always calibrate your screen to suite your colour taste even if it's not perfect, but there's no way to reduce the noticeable pixels on a large 720p Amoled screen.
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Gptech(m): 9:50pm On Jul 15, 2019
greenhulk:

There is no way a 720p amoled display would be better than a 1080p amoled display. Samsung cut cost on the A40s by using a 720p display. Damn 720p display on a phone is so 2014. Nobody does that anymore apart from all those cheap Chinese phones. Amoled is amoled no matter how u try to paint it. There's no such thing as 'chaff amoled'. A 720p display would show more pixels than a 1080p display no matter the OEM.
Naxo, totally agree.
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 15, 2019
DarkJeddi:

Apart from that,

So,

Pls can u show ur proofs? Galaxy a40s has the same display as the A40 but it's 720p compared to 1080p on the A40. So can u kindly tell me how the 548 nits of the Galaxy A40s in Max auto brightness better than 600 nits of the phantom 9? Look bro, before u start calling me a Tecno marketer, get ur facts right. I'm done with this.

1 Like

Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 15, 2019
Gptech:

Bro, a 720p display expecially an Amoled one is unforgivable, I wonder why Samsung chose to cut cost this way, better to sacrifice a little battery juice and leave it at 720p. You can always calibrate your screen to suite your colour taste even if it's not perfect, but there's no way to reduce the noticeable pixels on a large 720p Amoled screen.

Thank u very much. Abeg help me tell him. He's just here embarrassing himself. Next thing he will call u a Tecno marketer. If it was Tecno that made that Galaxy A40s I'm sure he won't be saying the rubbish he is saying.
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by DarkJeddi(m): 10:36pm On Jul 15, 2019
greenhulk:

Pls can u show ur proofs? Galaxy a40s has the same display as the A40 but it's 720p compared to 1080p on the A40. So can u kindly tell me how the 548 nits of the Galaxy A40s in Max auto brightness better than 600 nits of the phantom 9? Look bro, before u start calling me a Tecno marketer, get ur facts right. I'm done with this.
Who verified Tecno's claims of 600nits?

NOBODY, shocked

That claim is based on the spec sheet they threw out there..

The 548 nits you mentioned is an independent value measured by Gsmarena..

So the jury is out on that claim until independently verified.. undecided

2 Likes

Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Chiemezueajuzie: 11:54pm On Jul 15, 2019
m not much of a Samsung fan but I prefer phantom 9 to it from the design and the screen

1 Like

Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Nobody: 1:13am On Jul 16, 2019
DarkJeddi:
Who verified Tecno's claims of 600nits?

NOBODY, shocked

That claim is based on the spec sheet they threw out there..

The 548 nits you mentioned is an independent value measured by Gsmarena..

So the jury is out on that claim until independently verified.. undecided

Yes, the 600 nits is based on the specs sheet. Now can u verify the max brightness Samsung claimed the A40s has? None of us has used either phones or carried out the experiment ourselves. We work based on what we see online. So why then did u come here and say Galaxy A40s has better Max brightness than phantom 9? Where did u get that fact or did u just manufacture it from ur a$$? It's the same way u said phantom 9's amoled is chaff amoled even when it is very obvious it's a better display than the A40s that is capped at 720p.
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by shedo4sure: 3:59am On Jul 16, 2019
greenhulk:

Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by DarkJeddi(m): 6:51am On Jul 16, 2019
Gptech:

Bro, a 720p display expecially an Amoled one is unforgivable, I wonder why Samsung chose to cut cost this way, better to sacrifice a little battery juice and leave it at 1080p. You can always calibrate your screen to suite your colour taste even if it's not perfect, but there's no way to reduce the noticeable pixels on a large 720p Amoled screen.
It's not true,you can't ALWAYS calibrate your screen to suit your color tastes..

A screen with poor color reproduction or off whites will NEVER give what it doesn't have and this is one area where Samsung SUPERAMOLEDS excel..

Yes,having a 720P resolution is not ideal but that is not the only qualities to measure a phone display by..
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Nobody: 7:08am On Jul 16, 2019
DarkJeddi:
It's not true,you can't ALWAYS calibrate your screen to suit your color tastes..

A screen with poor color reproduction or off whites will never give what it doesn't have and this is one area where Samsung SUPERAMOLEDS excel..

Yes,having a 720P resolution is not ideal but that is not the only qualities to measure a phone display by..

But u are very quick to call phantom 9 amoled display 'chaff amoled' lol. Even when it is very obvious it has a better display than the Galaxy A40s. I know ur type, ur one of those that would say every Samsung TV has better display than every Hisense tv. Yes the best Samsung TVs are better than the best Hisense TV's YES. But u cannot tell me a 720p Samsung TV has a better display than a 4k UHD Hisense TV. It doesn't work like that.
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by DarkJeddi(m): 7:15am On Jul 16, 2019
greenhulk:

Yes, the 600 nits is based on the specs sheet. Now can u verify the max brightness Samsung claimed the A40s has? None of us has used either phones or carried out the experiment ourselves. We work based on what we see online. So why then did u come here and say Galaxy A40s has better Max brightness than phantom 9? Where did u get that fact or did u just manufacture it from ur a$$? It's the same way u said phantom 9's amoled is chaff amoled even when it is very obvious it's a better display than the A40s that is capped at 720p.
Where did you see Samsung make any outlandish claims about their Maximum brightness?

You,not me extrapolated an INDEPENDENTLY verified Maximum brightness by a REPUTABLE site to an UNVERIFIED claim by a Phone manufacturer..

Go back to my write up and read very carefully,

I said,

The A40s,being..

A SUPERAMOLED display by Samsung for their devices exhibits the better Maximum and minimum brightness than their COMPETITORS the likes of Phantom 9.. shocked

And yes,

I also mentioned the A40s being a Samsung SUPERAMOLED for its Devices have the better COLOR reproduction than their competitors the likes of Tecno and these are INDEPENDENTLY verified and KNOWN facts,if at all you're familiar with phone reviews..
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by DarkJeddi(m): 7:22am On Jul 16, 2019
greenhulk:

But u are very quick to call phantom 9 amoled display 'chaff amoled' lol. Even when it is very obvious it has a better display than the Galaxy A40s. I know ur type, ur one of those that would say every Samsung TV has better display than every Hisense tv. Yes the best Samsung TVs are better than the best Hisense TV's YES. But u cannot tell me a 720p Samsung TV has a better display than a 4k UHD Hisense TV. It doesn't work like that.
What makes it obvious that it has the better display?

Because it is a FHD?

Is being a FHD vs a HD the ONLY criteria to measure the better display? undecided
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Nobody: 7:33am On Jul 16, 2019
DarkJeddi:
Where did you see Samsung make any outlandish claims about their Maximum brightness?

You,not me extrapolated an INDEPENDENTLY verified Maximum brightness by a REPUTABLE site to an UNVERIFIED claim by a Phone manufacturer..

So since it was proven than A40 (not even A40s, mind u A40 had the better display but let's just assume they are the same thing ) has max brightness of 548 nits and Tecno claims their phantom 9 has 600 nits. How did u conclude that the A40s has better brightness that's my question. Why not wait for someone to verify it and debunk tecno's claims before u hang them? Again ur argument is based on assumptions which is a very crude way to gain cheap points. 600 nits is better than 548 and until someone verifies it and says otherwise, it still remains the phone with the better brightness.

I have played with the phantom 9 and the display is great, in fact almost on per with my Galaxy A70 as I compared them side by side. I just love the A70 better because it has less chin and better color reproduction (but I really will be nitpicking to see it).

Meanwhile Galaxy A40s has an identical display with the A10 and I have handled that phone, though coulors are vibrant which was a way Samsung tries to mask the poor resolution, the display still sucks especially when u increase the brightness, that is where u start seeing pixels that are hurting to the eyes. But the phantom 9, even at Max brightness doesn't hurt ur eyes

1 Like

Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 16, 2019
DarkJeddi:
What makes it obvious that it has the better display?

Because it is a FHD?

Is being a FHD vs a HD the ONLY criteria to measure the better display? undecided

And what makes phantom 9 amoled a 'chaff amoled'? Is it because it's on a tecno phone? And yes a FHD display will always be better than a 720p display provided both are amoled. I would even take a 1080p IPS over a 720p amoled. Have u seen how 720p phones fair at Max brightness? It's hurting to the eyes. U only enjoy it at low-mid brightness.
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by DarkJeddi(m): 7:53am On Jul 16, 2019
greenhulk:

And what makes phantom 9 amoled a 'chaff amoled'? Is it because it's on a tecno phone? And yes a FHD display will always be better than a 720p display provided both are amoled. I would even take a 1080p IPS over a 720p amoled. Have u seen how 720p phones fair at Max brightness? It's hurting to the eyes. U only enjoy it at low-mid brightness.
ALL AMOLEDS are NOT made equal..

FACT,

Samsung makes the BEST AMOLEDS,

FACT.. shocked

And yes I've used 720p AMOLED..

And it's not as terrible as you want to make out..

Come on,

This supposedly Mid range device doesn't even come with a USB type C in this day and age and you're talking about it being a better device? shocked

A phone with an already OUTDATED flaw,you want me to buy and use for the next 2 years? angry
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by DarkJeddi(m): 7:56am On Jul 16, 2019
greenhulk:

So since it was proven than A40 (not even A40s, mind u A40 had the better display but let's just assume they are the same thing ) has max brightness of 548 nits and Tecno claims their phantom 9 has 600 nits. How did u conclude that the A40s has better brightness that's my question. Why not wait for someone to verify it and debunk tecno's claims before u hang them? Again ur argument is based on assumptions which is a very crude way to gain cheap points. 600 nits is better than 548 and until someone verifies it and says otherwise, it still remains the phone with the better brightness.

I have played with the phantom 9 and the display is great, in fact almost on per with my Galaxy A70 as I compared them side by side. I just love the A70 better because it has less chin and better color reproduction (but I really will be nitpicking to see it).

Meanwhile Galaxy A40s has an identical display with the A10 and I have handled that phone, though coulors are vibrant which was a way Samsung tries to mask the poor resolution, the display still sucks especially when u increase the brightness, that is where u start seeing pixels that are hurting to the eyes. But the phantom 9, even at Max brightness doesn't hurt ur eyes
The Galaxy A10 has an LCD screen,so your analogy is flawed ab initio.. undecided
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 16, 2019
DarkJeddi:
The Galaxy A10 has an LCD screen,so your analogy is flawed ab initio.. undecided

My bad. I meant Galaxy A20. Are u happy now?
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 16, 2019
DarkJeddi:
ALL AMOLEDS are NOT made equal..

FACT,

Samsung makes the BEST AMOLEDS,

FACT.. shocked

And yes I've used 720p AMOLED..

And it's not as terrible as you want to make out..

Come on,

This supposedly Mid range device doesn't even come with a USB type C in this day and age and you're talking about it being a better device? shocked

A phone with an already OUTDATED flaw,you want me to buy and use for the next 2 years? angry

Samsung makes the best amoleds FACT. But they use their best amoleds for the best phones, not Galaxy A40s. Just like LG makes the best OLED TV's, does that mean every LG OLED panel is better than the rest? In fact lest leave TV's, in fact forget TV's, talking about mobile phones. Do u know OnePlus 7 pro has the best display in the market right now? Yes better than the S10 plus which is the flagship Samsung phone. So u think because Samsung makes the best amoled displays it means their phones will always have the best display?

About the micro USB on phantom 9, I bashed tecno for that on miss techie's review of the phone. That is a let down.
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Gwandana: 6:57pm On Jul 17, 2019
I strongly prefer Tecno phantom 9 to the Samsung
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by drjprince: 8:18pm On Jul 17, 2019
Gwandana:
you are still smoking that thing I told you not to smoke abi? grin grin

3 Likes

Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by ityP(m): 5:04pm On Jul 19, 2019
Una dey mad o... Comparing a40s to the nonsense tecno phantom 9?

2 Likes

Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by donblazer10(m): 7:11pm On Jul 19, 2019
Gwandana:
this one is obviously not normal

2 Likes

Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by drjprince: 7:43pm On Jul 19, 2019
donblazer10:
he is mad for sure grin

3 Likes

Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 8:26pm On Jul 19, 2019
greenhulk:

Samsung makes the best amoleds FACT. But they use their best amoleds for the best phones, not Galaxy A40s. Just like LG makes the best OLED TV's, does that mean every LG OLED panel is better than the rest? In fact lest leave TV's, in fact forget TV's, talking about mobile phones. Do u know OnePlus 7 pro has the best display in the market right now? Yes better than the S10 plus which is the flagship Samsung phone. So u think because Samsung makes the best amoled displays it means their phones will always have the best display?

About the micro USB on phantom 9, I bashed tecno for that on miss techie's review of the phone. That is a let down.
What do you mean by OnePlus 7 pro having the best display
Just say it has a better refresh rate!!
S10 still trumps it in brightness, picture quality and pixel density!!
Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 19, 2019
PhenomenalMorgan:

What do you mean by OnePlus 7 pro having the best display
Just say it has a better refresh rate!!
S10 still trumps it in brightness, picture quality and pixel density!!

Having a better refresh rate is part of the display. OnePlus 7 pro display is the best when scrolling because of the 90HZ refresh rate. OnePlus 7 pro display is more accurate, the only area where the s10 trumps it is in brightness.

How can u bring pixel density into this? For ur information pixel density is a direct factor of screen size provided they both have the same screen resolution. Both the S10+ and OnePlus 7 pro have the same resolution, S10+ has a slightly higher PPI because it has a smaller screen (6.4 inch vs 6.67 inch). OnePlus 7 pro has 516 ppi vs 522 on the s10 plus, in this case the difference is negligible. If u think the samsung is better because of PPI then it is safe to say S10 has a better display than s10 -plus? It has 550 PPI and that is just because it has a smaller display.

1 Like

Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by MrBONE2(m): 10:21pm On Jul 19, 2019
Gwandana:

grin

Re: WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s! by scarycuteface(m): 3:15pm On Jul 20, 2019
donblazer10:
he is not talk about the tecno phantom 9 screen finger print, and the camera. we all have different stuff that we love in phone. but this tecno phantom 9 is hot

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Best Durable Tested And Trusted Power Banks Models You Should Go For In 2015 / What If Google Starts Charging 4 Every Search?See D Top 5 Things That Wud Happen / ZTE NUBIA Z5 Mini(the Mini Beast Frm China)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.