Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,216 members, 7,836,051 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? (32325 Views)

Best University In Nigeria To Study Mechanical Engineering / The Best University In Nigeria / The Best University In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by viazi: 8:27pm On Oct 12, 2010
I guess the GUY dt started this thread must be more confused now than before, na wa for Nairalanders.

However the best 5 Universities in Nigeria as below:

University of Ibadan, Unilag, Uni Ife, Great Uniben & ABU Zaria.

Any of them will bring out the best in U.

GREATEST UNIBEN STUDENTS, Great, Great, Great, Great, GREEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
Here u learn EVERYTHING, I REPEAT EVERYTHING,

GREATEST UNIBENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by CrazyMan(m): 8:28pm On Oct 12, 2010
Here's the list of the best schools in Nigeria. happy viewing.  smiley

http://www.4icu.org/ng/

1 Like

Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by eyanpataki: 8:43pm On Oct 12, 2010
check this out and see how Google even support my school university of Ilorin, more power to our elbows

http://www.google.com.ng/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=642&q=best+university+in+Nigeria&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=faff34c3173fcb38
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by oshyno(m): 8:46pm On Oct 12, 2010
@Johnpaul88
Interesting how you're fighting hard to project your skul,but you shouldn't allow your affection for ur skul becloud your sense of judgment.
A portray of your skul as the best in terms of structures is to say the least an intellectual hogwash. A good and sound reasoning  should av being what course is the person interested in ? I asked because Engineering in UNN where you have about 15 Professors( I mean Profs not PHD's) is left for you to articulate the quality of acada there.They have best Library in the whole WA or maybe you are for a grooving skul. UNN is about acada sefini .
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by ebiztutor: 9:06pm On Oct 12, 2010
Is this really OAU, this place make sense die.
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 12, 2010
zionic:

uniMEND, nigerdelta, dats wot i call school of hard knocks!
grin grin grin
you mean these ones?

Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by abialic(m): 9:37pm On Oct 12, 2010
Ever heard of Maritime Academy of Nigeria University(MAN-U)? Formerly Maritime Academy of Nigeria. It's located in the coastal city of Oron, in Akwa Ibom State. M--e--n! the school is simply world class, a sight 2behold, with state of d art facilities & high-tech infrastructures. It is comparable only to its foreign contemporaries in Norway, Egypt, Scotland, US, etc.
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by dayokanu(m): 10:40pm On Oct 12, 2010
oshyno:

I asked because Engineering in UNN where you have about 15 Professors( I mean Profs not PHD's) is left for you to articulate the quality of acada there.They have best Library in the whole WA or maybe you are for a grooving skul. UNN is about acada sefini .

When i left OAU. My department which is in the faculty of Engineering has 5 Profs. There are over 10 departments in the faculty of Technology

That means in that Faculty we would have about 30 Professors
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by owodami: 10:55pm On Oct 12, 2010
COVENANT UNIVERSITY IS THE BEST IN NIGERIA 4 NOW. wink wink wink
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by Arysexy(m): 10:58pm On Oct 12, 2010
The likes of prof Chukuma Soludo, Prof Dora Akunyili, Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Prof Barth Nnaji etc are products of Great UNN, tell me who ur school produced and not the structures and flowers in ur school!
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by biggy4joe(m): 12:37am On Oct 13, 2010
OF THE GREATEST UNIBEN STUDENTS,

GREAAAAAAAAATTTT

Well i respect UI and UNN so much,but UNIBEN still remains the best,
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by ccollins(m): 6:03am On Oct 13, 2010
Incessant strikes at OAU would have have made me finish at UNN 5yrs b4 most of my mates at OAU do so.
@johnpaul,learn to b logical and coherent.let me teach u.when u show good pics of OAU,SHOW THAT OF UNN TOO.what shall a man gain frm he got cert. frm OAU by just looking at fine buildings.oau is some university dat would be local like dis colleges of education if not for d legacies of CHIEF OBAFEMI AWOLOWO. now back to my point,THE ACADEMIC STANDARD AND ACHIEVEMENTS OF UNN CANNOT BE COMPARED TO ANY OTHER UNIVERSITIES.CHECK THEIR HISTORY frm 1960 on UNN.Edu.Ng.
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by oshyno(m): 7:19am On Oct 13, 2010
@ Arysexy
What about Oby Ezekwesili ?

Great Lions and Lionesses , hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by dayokanu(m): 8:06am On Oct 13, 2010
The only Nobel Laureate we have in Nigeria bagged his award while at OAU.

That cancels anything Soludo, Ezekwesili or Nnaji could have achieved until any of them bags a nobel in his field

Akinwande Oluwole "Wole" Soyinka (born 13 July 1934) is a Nigerian writer, poet and playwright. He won the Nobel Prize in Literature[1] in 1986,[2] the first African to be so honoured

He became a Professor of Comparative Literature at the then University of Ife ). He is currently an Emeritus Professor at the same university.
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by denony(m): 8:35am On Oct 13, 2010
@ BLUETOOTH
are you the first guy from left ?
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by drered(m): 8:42am On Oct 13, 2010
The criteria for ranking universities by d website sum dude posted is d numbah of WEB HITS the school websyt gets, Its not academics,structure,lecturers, etc
@dayokanu, The only nobel laureate 'prof. Wole soyinka' finished/waz moulded from/by the University of Ibadan,

I dont think they will ever be a comprehensive list unless the criterias are given, Am a student of the University of Ibadan and i am not biased in saying it is one of d best in nigeria and the first established!, U.I has produced more proffesors than any other university in Nigeria,

U.I unargueably has d best medical school in Nigeria 'UCH', This is furtha shown by d massive influx of OAU students in2 d u.ibadan 2 study M.B.B.S
It has d first hall(student) in west africa, Its admission process is 'near flawless', and academically i believe it is d most rigorous in nigeria, U.I won d zain african challenge a copl yrs ago, Nd a competition d8 ll bring 250+ prof's to our school<stil sketchy wif d details,
That is nt 2 say u.i doesnt come wif its faults has Social life is almost Zero! The only way u unwind iz goin 2 d t.v room,sports pavillion or 2 d mini-stadium 2 watch live matches,

Science related courses can be said 2 be for da 'gifted' cuz once u dont meet certain grade points, Ur either 'tsunamised' or 'erosion' carries u 2 a 'lower' course,

U can hardly cheat in u.i, Mst lecturers r comfortable so w8 cn u offer?, 100 level take 'german' exams in chemistry,zoo,botany, Nd d 1's with objectives are paper types like JAMB, So in u.i its either u Serious or Ur not.! There's no intahmedi8!

If u spend a day in da halls(hostels), U'll hear phrases like 'baba to ka iwe juu' u'll never hear 'baba to jaiye ju', lol, There's wireless connectivity in our ICT and most departments, Nd extension 2 d whole of u.i is on its way!! ,
So anyway u see it! U.I is a force 2 reckon with!
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by veraponpo(m): 8:58am On Oct 13, 2010
@ Poster:
This is a relative arguement depending on your view,exposure and background. The only thing you can talk of is the level of consistency over time and in all areas:
1 ACADEMICS;

2 DISCIPLINE;

3 AESTHETICS;

4 SPORTS;

5 RELEVANCE IN EVERY AREA;

6 SUPPORT FOR THE STUDENTS.

I think in all these, schools can see how they rank, I think OAU will be seen as the best, eg it s the cheapest in terms of cost, fees,etc ,it has an outstanding academic standard, good sport records, beautiful architectural masterpiece,inernational records. GREAT IFE.
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by familyman(m): 9:23am On Oct 13, 2010
I believe there r some good schools for diif category of academic endeavours.
I finished from Ife and sincerely i cant imagine myself having schooled anywer else in this country.
Academic content,drill social life mix n condusive enviroment.I ve been to quite a no of unis in naija but d scenery in Ife is somtin else.
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by Bamsyle2(m): 9:42am On Oct 13, 2010
[b]O[/b]ba [b]A[/b]won [b]U[/b]niversity
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by Kennyblues(m): 10:19am On Oct 13, 2010
~Bluetooth:

grin grin grin
you mean these ones?
shocked shocked shocked

Try Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU); case closed
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 13, 2010
drered:

The criteria for ranking universities by d website sum dude posted is d numbah of WEB HITS the school websyt gets,  Its not academics,structure,lecturers, etc
@dayokanu,  The only nobel laureate 'prof. Wole soyinka' finished/waz moulded from/by the University of Ibadan,

I dont think they will ever be a comprehensive list unless the criterias are given,  Am a student of the University of Ibadan and i am not biased in saying it is one of d best in nigeria and the first established!,  U.I has produced more proffesors than any other university in Nigeria, 

U.I unargueably has d best medical school in Nigeria 'UCH',  This is furtha shown by d massive influx of OAU students in2 d u.ibadan 2 study M.B.B.S
It has d first hall(student) in west africa,  Its admission process is 'near flawless',  and academically i believe it is d most rigorous in nigeria,  U.I won d zain african challenge a copl yrs ago,  Nd a competition  d8 ll bring 250+ prof's to our school<stil sketchy wif d details,
That is nt 2 say u.i doesnt come wif its faults has Social life is almost Zero! The only way u unwind iz goin 2 d t.v room,sports pavillion or 2 d mini-stadium 2 watch live matches,

Science related courses can be said 2 be for da 'gifted' cuz once u dont meet certain grade points,  your either 'tsunamised' or 'erosion' carries u 2 a 'lower' course,

U can hardly cheat in u.i,  Mst lecturers r comfortable so w8 cn u offer?,  100 level take 'german' exams in chemistry,zoo,botany,  Nd d 1's with objectives are paper types like JAMB,  So in u.i its either u Serious or your not.! There's no intahmedi8!

If u spend a day in da halls(hostels),  U'll hear phrases like 'baba to ka iwe juu' u'll never hear 'baba to jaiye ju', lol,  There's wireless connectivity in our ICT and most departments,  Nd extension 2 d whole of u.i is on its way!! , 
So anyway u see it! U.I is a force 2 reckon with!
OAUTH was the first teaching hospital in Nigeria to SUCCESSFULLY carryout a kidney transplant and they recently collaborated with university of maidguri teaching hospital to do their first. Do u now see, it is ridiculous for u to make that unfounded assertion . Perhaps it is those who failed to meet the necessary requirement that found your school of medicine as a safe haven.
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by maxtop(m): 11:48am On Oct 13, 2010
Try UNAAB and your life will never remain the same again !!!
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by opokonwa(m): 3:58pm On Oct 13, 2010
I wonder why this argument appeals to a lot of you.

Truth is most people will defend and advertise their Alma Mater. I schooled in UNN but I'm not even prepared to defend UNN on the basis of passing through it.

The bottom line for me is what one makes with his/her life with the little exposure one gets in life. That is, whether you were in OAU, UNN, a Polytechnic or even not a graduate, impact your world positively. This is the ultimate measure of progress.

No Nigerian school is even in the world Top 100. So let's stop glorifying mediocrity and warring over local champions.

2 Likes

Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by davidand: 4:48pm On Oct 13, 2010
the best university in nigeria is (OAU) you will be teach well and have more understanding there pending you can read had.
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by gididi: 6:17pm On Oct 13, 2010
FIVE BEST --UNN
UI
UNILAG
COVENANT
OAU
END OF DISCUSSION.
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Oct 13, 2010
Nigerian Post secondary schools are nothing but Local champions.
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by Babosa: 6:29pm On Oct 13, 2010
Check the internet. There is an international survey of all the universities in the world. I think Uniben, OAU, UI made the top 1000 ranking. Google it up.
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by JahMan1: 7:50pm On Oct 13, 2010
I am sure the poster achieved little of his intentions,I suppose.
1.The first 'seeming' intention, to get info on the school to attend or possibly send his/her ward.
2.Maybe unknown to Nairalanders is that (s)he might just be plain mischievous and want to generate quarrels,that will not only end in fighting about schools that are better but tribal sentiments.

My observation:NLs from the West seem to enjoy turning every topic in NL into sectional or tribal arguments.That is sad.
At a get-together in Accenture(Andersen Consulting) in 1999/2000,a time came for introductions.
My friends went brandishing what they have again, starting from Kindergatten thru to Univ.
International School,St Saviours,FGC,Univ Sec Sch, UI,UNILAG,Ife,etc.
One guy stood up(not me) and went thus, "I did not attend the best kindergatten,primary,secondary or tertiary institution like you guys,but the only thing common amongst us is this, 'We are all here in Accenture'".There was an applause.

I desire a position somewhere now,if taking my degree from my prestigious university(name withheld) and giving me from a not-so-fantastic university(if there is any like that)will help,please I am willing to do it.

I rest my case.
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by folakeojo(f): 8:01pm On Oct 13, 2010
I'm so happy dat a student frm oau 1forall is very honest abt d condiitns of d skul unlyk d odas. I'm a final year studnt of oau nd while i must say dat oau is prestigious bt i mst also say dats all dat is left of the skl, its prestige. oau is a skul dat if ur lukn 4 anytn u'll get it, academics, spirituality, clubbn anytn bt one thing i bet it can offer morw dan any oda skul is frustratn, if its nt strike, it wil b bad result or terrible lecturers. Imagin a lecturer confidently sayn in class dat ' grade A is 4 god, B is for me and C is for the very serious students' we have so many of them dat wil tell u outright dat their course is nt an A course. Imagine havn classes for 6.30 am. Plus numerous assignments under less dan conducive environments, fine oau is cheap bt accomodatn is an issue. A rum 4 5pple can house 10. if i wil advice d op, if ur lukn 4 a skl dat u will b stressd enuf to withstand any thing wen outside in d world, a skl dat its name alone will give u leverage amng peers den oau is d place for u. Imagine pple talkn abt grass and trees in skul. Mscheeww. Utter rubbish!
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by ccollins(m): 8:21pm On Oct 13, 2010
I notice most OAU graduates are jobless n have decided to come online to waste tyme saying OAU BI DIS n OAU B DAT.Why do many students not choose OAU in jamb DEspite being an overrated skool.I HAVE SEEN A HIGHER RATIO OF JOBLESS LAZY OAU GRADUANDS THAN DAT OF UNN.
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 13, 2010
folakeojo:

I'm so happy dat a student frm oau 1forall is very honest abt d condiitns of d skul unlyk d odas. I'm a final year studnt of oau nd while i must say dat oau is prestigious bt i mst also say dats all dat is left of the skl, its prestige. oau is a skul dat if your lukn 4 anytn u'll get it, academics, spirituality, clubbn anytn bt one thing i bet it can offer morw dan any oda skul is frustratn, if its nt strike, it wil b bad result or terrible lecturers. Imagin a lecturer confidently sayn in class dat ' grade A is 4 god, B is for me and C is for the very serious students' we have so many of them dat wil tell u outright dat their course is nt an A course. Imagine havn classes for 6.30 am. Plus numerous assignments under less dan conducive environments, fine oau is cheap bt accomodatn is an issue. A rum 4 5pple can house 10. if i wil advice d op, if your lukn 4 a skl dat u will b stressd enuf to withstand any thing wen outside in d world, a skl dat its name alone will give u leverage amng peers den oau is d place for u. Imagine pple talkn abt grass and trees in skul. Mscheeww. Utter rubbish!
You talk with so much rancour and bitterness. If u are this fustrated, then i will advice to follow road 1. It will definitely do u so much good. If the accommodation is as bad as u want to make us believe, then i think u had better look the way, off campus. Everybody must not live within campus. If u had challenges making ur A's and B's, look inward or simply move to UNILAG where they are not too hard to come by. Do not heap the blames at the doorsteps of the lecturers. OAU remains second to none.
Re: Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? by omosetanR(m): 8:28pm On Oct 13, 2010
@CCOLINS
U sure are beefing OAU as a skool, and its graduates (half baked or otherwise)
Education in Nigeria is a joke, OAU isnt overrated, and can you provide us with your data source that INFORMED you of which skools in 9ja has what number of unemployed graduates,
Or is it just a case of another of 9ja's many armchair authority speaking?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FUTO Vs UNIZIK Trending On Twitter; See Funny Tweets / Community Secondary School, Ikot Essien Akwa Ibom In Bad State / 2015/2016 UNIZIK Admission On Official JAMB Cut Off Mark And Departmental Marks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.