Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,588 members, 7,823,550 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After (44477 Views)

George Iwilade - Afrika / 21 Years After: The Blood Of George Iwilade "AFRIKA" Still Cry For Justice. / Throwback Pics Of Iwilade Afrika, Omoyele Sowore And Lanre Legacy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 10, 2019
femi4:
cults are gradually coming back to OAU. Ife town is known for rituals and cultism. It is impossible to eradicate cultism there
Perhaps outside but not inside. You there there are other students apart from OAU students in ife. During my years there, i never encountered any cultist. But ordinary one visit to OOU, ha my experience on that visit eh, no be here.

6 Likes

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by pacificman: 11:38am On Jul 10, 2019
If others did not die, would you have the freedom to do anything today
Please mind what you say and how you say it.

[quote author=anonimi post=80121640]

well am smarter than you obviously and i dont believe that scam and i repeat die at your own risk and oh why are you still alive

1 Like 1 Share

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by kibraaminase(m): 11:38am On Jul 10, 2019
Oh! I was in JSS class then, I used to read the story inside Alaroye (Yoruba newspaper then)RIP to the Heroes

3 Likes

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by anonimi: 11:39am On Jul 10, 2019
dominique:
I remember the story even though I was still in secondary school at the time. My sister gained admission into OAU two years later, all jambites were made to watch a documentary about the slain students with lots of gory photos. Cultists were the ones running the school before Afrika waged a war against them. Sadly he paid with his life but peace returned to the institution. Very few people will make that kind of sacrifice this day and age.

Continue to RIP Afrika

Do you think that more people would make that kind of sacrifice in a preemptive manner if the documentary is shown regularly, monuments erected in the school after them, streets/buildings named after them etc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by comtem2011: 11:40am On Jul 10, 2019
dejio42:
I watched a yoruba movie about this. 5 years back. Neva knew it was history

RIP Afrika

We are all heros OP
I think the title is Omo University produced by LaLa.

2 Likes

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Flier: 11:40am On Jul 10, 2019
dayoyemi:
I was was in university of Ibadan then. Although I can't remember the details again, but I can tell you that this ugly incident had the hands of certain key figures in the school management according to the reports we got. The killing was sponsored by men in the top echelon of the school management in order to clamp down on the SUG activism
I was one of those that jumped off block 8 Awo hall
It wasn’t sponsored by anybody thou we all believed Omole who happened to be Vc then was a member of confranity
It got a point where you can’t even walk at night on campus,killing here and there so Africa and Legacy successful set up a security team which comprises of heavily huge students
So they successfully apprehended 9 cultist and parades them around the campus unclad
About 4 months later we were attacked around block 8 and 5, africa was sleeping with his girl friends so they were both killed,Legacy wasn’t around
About 5 student lost their life while about 200 injured,it wasn’t a night to remember but if I can remember those cultist came from Unilag to take revenge for their members arrested and paraded unclad 4 months earlier
They killed africa,Yemi,Babatunde,Godfrey and Africa’s girl Friend

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by 2mch(m): 11:40am On Jul 10, 2019
Name the 8 suspects. Thankfully a murder charge does not have statute of limitations. They will still get their day in court.

1 Like

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by femi4: 11:42am On Jul 10, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Perhaps outside but not inside. You there there are other students apart from OAU students in ife. During my years there, i never encountered any cultist. But ordinary one visit to OOU, ha my experience on that visit eh, no be here.
Outside always have a way of influencing inside. The indegenes have their sons and daughters in the campus too
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Rextizz(m): 11:42am On Jul 10, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
My Alma mater.

It's no beans graduating from OAU. Miss the amphitheater shows, night readings, new buka etc
Why are you telling us? abi Nah only you graduate there

2 Likes

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Rextizz(m): 11:42am On Jul 10, 2019
Mehn just like yesterday, I remember everything vividly.

1 Like

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Shikena(m): 11:43am On Jul 10, 2019
Amalekki:
May their souls rest in peace. Theirs was a truly bold move. A rare act of bravery to protect the reputation of OAU as one of the few Nigerian universities with minimal cult activities. Ife was never a cultism hotspot. Some of these cultists started making brazen attempts to strengthen their nodes at Ife. They were rebuffed & heroically stopped. The supreme price was paid by these rare individuals.

Omoyele Sowore (The same one) led and fought a similar battle in Unilag several years before the OAU heroes. NTA network news even dedicated a portion of their broadcast to that brutal period. Several established cultists were apprehended and brutalized. It was a bold move if you know the Unilag of that era. While the Akoka campus only witnessed sporadic cult rivalry attacks, it was the national focal point where decisions were made. It was also the safe house for wanted cultists across Nigeria.

The reprisal was brutal. Sowore was left for dead. The rest is history.
The labour of our heroes! Real men & real women!

Please use this day to ask yourself what you stand for? What have you ever boldly & physically agitated for without a promise of personal gains or tribal motivation, which is also personal?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 10, 2019
Rextizz:
Why are you telling us? abi Nah only you graduate there
Simply proud of the school ni.

2 Likes

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Rextizz(m): 11:46am On Jul 10, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Simply proud of the school ni.
That yeye school, abegi. grin
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by anonimi: 11:48am On Jul 10, 2019
dejio42:
I watched a yoruba movie about this. 5 years back. Neva knew it was history

RIP Afrika

We are all heros OP

Thanks for this bit. I just googled it and got this:

The massacre

On the night of 9 July 1999 a number of student groups held a party at Obafemi Awolowo University. The 'Mirror Online' reports: "members of Kegites Club on the campus, Man O’ war members, and various other student leaders— both former and incumbent, gathered at the open ground between Angola and Mozambique Halls." Later in the night many of the party-goers began occupying the cafeteria of Awolowo Hall whilst others returned to their halls of residence to sleep.

At between 3:00 and 3:30 am (now 10 July 1999) a large number of cultists (reported to be between 22 and 40) of the confraternity arrived to carry out a preplanned assault on the university with the intention of carrying out the assassinations of several prominent members of the student union. Allegations that these assassinations were sponsored by the university's vice chancellor, Wale Omole, remain to this day but it is unclear if this is the case. It is said "one of the cultists, Kazeem Bello, aka Kato, confessed that Wale Omole had a hand in their July 10 dastardly operation."

Upon arriving at the university the cultists "drove through the main gate and proceeded to the car park next to the Tennis Courts in the Sports Center. They disembarked there and went on foot along a bush path to Awolowo Hall, where they violently interrupted the gyration, firing guns and also wielding axes and cutlasses."

Although the order of the events that followed vary from account to account (in terms of who was killed in what order) it is clear that following the assault 4 people were left dead, another died from gunshot wounds later, one more survived from a gunshot wound and "Twenty-five others received minor injuries, which were sustained during the stampede out of the Awolowo Hall cafeteria and later on during the attack."

The Mirror Online reports: "The victims, which included the then Students’ Union Secretary General, George Yemi Iwilade, (fondly called Afrika); 400 level medical student, Eviano Ekelemu; a graduating student, Yemi Ajiteru; 100-Level Philosophy student, Babatunde Oke, and Ekpede Godfrey were gunned down by the “marauding beasts” in Blocks 5 and 8, Awolowo Hall." Prof. Roger Makanjuola writes: "Tunde Oke was still alive but died on the operating table. Four others, George Iwilade, Yemi Ajiteru, Efe Ekede and Eviano Ekelemu, were brought in dead. Eviano Ekelemu bled to death from gunshot wounds to the groin and thigh. The other three died from gunshot wounds to the head."

During the attack several accounts state the members were heard to be "shouting, “Legacy, come out!”" referring to the suspended Students’ Union President, Lanre Adeleke. Additional targets of the attacks are described also. Prof. Roger Makanjuola's account states the same and he also writes: "During the course of the incident, the attackers also shouted the names of “Afrika”, George Iwilade, and “Dexter”, the Chief of the Kegites, demanding that they come out."

Of the targets of the massacre Lanre Adeleke (Legacy) managed to escape by jumping from a balcony after hearing the gunfire. “Dexter”, the Chief of the Kegites, also escaped unharmed. George Iwilade (Afrika), the Secretary-General of the Students’ Union and a Law student was not so lucky. Upon entering his room the "shot him immediately in the head. Then they smashed his head with their axe to make sure he was dead".

It is reported George Iwilade (Afrika) was the only successfully assassinated victim. "Afrika, who was said to have carried out the arrest (relating to the incident on Saturday, 7 March 1999), was mercilessly butchered while the other four were just unfortunate victims"

Prof. Roger Makanjuola gives the order of events as been: "They first entered Room 184, where they shot and killed Efe Ekede, a Part II Psychology student. In Room 230, they shot Charles Ita, a Part II Law student. A group of the attackers then shot Yemi Ajiteru, a Part II Religious Studies student, through the head in the corridor outside the Kegites’ headquarters. In Room 273, they found George Iwilade (Afrika), the Secretary-General of the Students’ Union and a Law student, and shot him through the head, along with another occupant, Tunde Oke, a Part 1 student of Philosophy, who was shot in the abdomen.

When the attackers got to Room 271, the room allocated to the suspended Students’ Union President, Lanre Adeleke (Legacy), they found that he had escaped. Legacy was in his room when he heard the first gun shots..... The band of thugs proceeded to Fajuyi Hall on foot, where they shot and killed one more student. That individual, Eviano Ekelemo, a medical student, was certainly not a student activist, but they shot him anyway.". However, the order in which the victims were killed varies in various testimonies by a number of witnesses.

Prof. Roger Makanjuola's account of the cultist's escape is: "The murderers left Fajuyi Hall on foot and went through the bush path behind the Hall back to their vehicles. They drove to the Students’ Union building, which they ransacked. They returned to their vehicles and drove out of the University through the main gate. The security staff, having heard gunfire, fled for their lives. Thus the exit of the marauding thugs was unchallenged."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obafemi_Awolowo_University_massacre

Cults gone wild! A campus suffers from the rise of cults, and the students suffer from terror and murder. Can the administrators overcome the challenge of the cults?

https://www.nollyland.com/nigerian-movie/Dugbe-Dugbe-Mbo-A/c053b4d536ebe6d429c53eb1a1c45860/31

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by anonimi: 11:49am On Jul 10, 2019
Rextizz:
Mehn just like yesterday, I remember everything vividly.

What exactly do you remember

1 Like

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Nobody: 11:49am On Jul 10, 2019
femi4:
Outside always have a way of influencing inside. The indegenes have their sons and daughters in the campus too
Well, they should keep the fire burning. Aluta continua, Victoria Ascerta grin
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by dejio42(m): 11:50am On Jul 10, 2019
comtem2011:
Yeap. By lala d same student of OAU then
There is another DUGBE DUGBE by bukky wright too
But that of LaLa was acted well

2 Likes

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 10, 2019
Blackfire:

I send you a pm let's talk
Didn't get it
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by femi4: 11:50am On Jul 10, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Well, they should keep the fire burning. Aluta continua, Victoria Ascerta grin
yessoo
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by 2mch(m): 11:50am On Jul 10, 2019
Names of the suspected killers of the OAU Massacre:

The paraded suspedted cultists were Evimori Kester, Dele Aromoloye, Larry Obichie, Uche Obichie, Ikechukwu Mordi, Mayowa Adegoke, Olakanmi Ogundele, Bruno Arinze and Lanre Ajayi.

Wale Omole the VC is rumored to be the sponsor of the killing.

Let us protest to get these people prosecuted.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 10, 2019
Rextizz:
That yeye school, abegi. grin
Which one you go?

1 Like

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Rextizz(m): 11:52am On Jul 10, 2019
anonimi:

What exactly do you remember
I had a cousin in the school then that gisted me everything, he was in 400 level by then.
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by OvaSabi1(f): 11:52am On Jul 10, 2019
shogsman:
I saw a movie that was based on this young Man's struggle, he's one of the good ones.

What's the name of the movie?
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by anonimi: 11:54am On Jul 10, 2019
Rextizz:
I had a cousin in the school then that gisted me everything, he was in 400 level by then.

You should share what you remember from your cousin's gist.
Datsall.

1 Like

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Nobody: 11:54am On Jul 10, 2019
Amalekki:
May their souls rest in peace. Theirs was a truly bold move. A rare act of bravery to protect the reputation of OAU as one of the few Nigerian universities with minimal cult activities. Ife was never a cultism hotspot. Some of these cultists started making brazen attempts to strengthen their nodes at Ife. They were rebuffed & heroically stopped. The supreme price was paid by these rare individuals.

Omoyele Sowore (The same one) fought a similar battle in Unilag several years before the OAU heroes. NTA network news even dedicated a portion of their broadcast to that brutal period. Several established cultists were apprehended and brutalized. It was a bold move if you know the Unilag of that era. While the Akoka campus only witnessed sporadic cult rivalry attacks, it was the national focal point where decisions were made. It was also the safe house for wanted cultists across Nigeria.

The reprisal was brutal. Sowore was left for dead. The rest is history.

Sowore was beaten up and then injected with 'an unknown substance'

Have respected the guy since that time. Took guts to stand up to such people

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Rextizz(m): 11:57am On Jul 10, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Which one you go?
I didn't school in Nigeria, my parents wanted me in OAU but I told them it can never happen, I had a cousin that attended OAU during Afrika's time and he told me how tough the school was, about cultism and all that back then, that's why I got discouraged. I hate anything cultism.
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by dejio42(m): 11:58am On Jul 10, 2019
comtem2011:
I watched omo university too. Just forgot the title.
It was then I knew Lala was an OAU student at that time
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Rextizz(m): 12:01pm On Jul 10, 2019
anonimi:

You should share what you remember from your cousin's gist. Datsall.
It's still the same story you are reading online..

1 Like

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by 2mch(m): 12:03pm On Jul 10, 2019
There is a Larry Obichie who is a Manager with PWC in Cyprus. He looks like he will be the same age as these boys 20yrs later. PWC should be notified if he’s the one. His LinkedIn picture is online.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Jaymaxxy(m): 12:03pm On Jul 10, 2019
Flier:
I was one of those that jumped off block 8 Awo hall
It wasn’t sponsored by anybody thou we all believed Omole who happened to be Vc then was a member of confranity
It got a point where you can’t even walk at night on campus,killing here and there so Africa and Legacy successful set up a security team which comprises of heavily huge students
So they successfully apprehended 9 cultist and parades them around the campus unclad
About 4 months later we were attacked around block 8 and 5, africa was sleeping with his girl friends so they were both killed,Legacy wasn’t around
About 5 student lost their life while about 200 injured,it wasn’t a night to remember but if I can remember those cultist came from Unilag to take revenge for their members arrested and paraded unclad 4 months earlier
They killed africa,Yemi,Babatunde,Godfrey and Africa’s girl Friend

Brother, please don't say what you don't know. No lady was killed in the attack. The victims were all guys. And please don't tell us the school management knows nothing about it. The guys apprehended stated categorically that Prof. Wale Omole sent them. The VC was forced to resign after. You can check YouTube for Lanre Legacy's interview with Sahara Reporters. Please, be guided.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jul 10, 2019
Rextizz:
I didn't school in Nigeria, my parents wanted me in OAU but I told them it can never happen, I had a cousin that attended OAU during Afrika's time and he told me how tough the school was, about cultism and all that back then, that's why I got discouraged. I hate anything cultism.
Odinma. Thanks for the telling me grin

1 Like

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by 2mch(m): 12:09pm On Jul 10, 2019
Olakanmi Ogundele works with Sujimoto. He must be Sujimoto’s relative. They have the same surname

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hot Cake Courses Every Student Wants To Study In Nigeria Universities / Webometrics Ranking Of Nigerian Universities (2020) / Viral Video Of Adamawa SUG President And His Orderlies (pics/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.