Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,209 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna (18130 Views)

This Ginger Farm Will Produce Over A Million Naira Worth Of Ginger / Kaduna Dry Port Exports 5 Containers Of Ginger Weekly / FG Procures N646m Farming Equipments For Farmers In SouthEast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Lassbati222(m): 12:07pm On Dec 19, 2022
I come from Kaduna State, southern Kaduna to be precise. A native of Ham chiefdom who are known to be the top Ginger producing communities and that is why Kaduna State top the five Ginger producing states in Nigeria, which includes Bauchi state, Benue State, Gombe State and Nasarawa.

Farming Ginger is not an easy job, due to the fact that everything is done manually. Starting from clearing the land, digging the soil, cutting the seed into smaller pieces, buying of cow dung and spreading on the land, farming (Which require some to be dropping the smaller pieces of the seed, while others will use hoe to cover the seeds), covering the farm land with leaves, weeding (which can be done two or three times before harvest time), fertilizer application (Applied twice or thrice), harvesting (Done by digging and picking each seed) slicing each and drying.
Note that during last farming season, a basin of Ginger seed was going for N12,000 which will only cover a very small portion. Also note that fertilizer which use to cost N8,000 but last farming season, the Local government offered subsidized fertilizer at @ N21,700

Despite this stress, the local dealers are regulating the prices at will, leaving poor farmers helpless.

From October 2021 to October 2022, a bag of Ginger was sold between N30,000 to N34,000 depending on how clean your Ginger is. A bag is usually 41kg. At least it was a little consolation to farmers.

From November local dealers started bringing down the price, knowing farmers have no option, since they have needs. From 30k to 28k, to 21k to 20k to 18k to 15k and now back 20k.

Whereas I have been following the wholesale price of Ginger online. Let's take the price of Ginger as at 17th December, 2022.
It was sold at $3.58 per kg. Each bag is 41kg, assuming $ is N700, it means it was going N102,746 and if we keep $ at N500, then it was going for N73,390 but as at that 17th December, local dealers were buying from famers @N18,000. HABA

HOW DO LOCAL DEALERS GET MONEY TO PURCHASE GINGER IN LARGE QUANTITY?
I only know few dealers who use their personal money to buy ginger, transport to the wholesale market and sell it.
But must of them have bigger dealers within and outside the country who supply them with money to purchase ginger, while trailers keep coming to pack them away to the person that gave out the money.
My issue here is, most times you here that the bigger dealers pay this local dealers between 45k-60k per 41kg bag(Depending on who is providing the money) then this local dealers will inturn exploit the farmers by buying between 18-25 0r 30k-34k as the case of oct last year to oct this year.
This is really unacceptable.

Please if there is anyone who have an idea on ginger market should help and anyone who have ideas on how we can get out of the grip of these local dealers should please help.

Front page please.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Mrsoft3(m): 12:15pm On Dec 19, 2022
Lassbati222:
I come from Kaduna State, southern Kaduna to be precise. A native of Ham chiefdom who are known to be the top Ginger producing communities and that is why Kaduna State top the five Ginger producing states in Nigeria, which includes Bauchi state, Benue State, Gombe State and Nasarawa.

Farming Ginger is not an easy job, due to the fact that everything is done manually. Starting from clearing the land, digging the soil, cutting the seed into smaller pieces, buying of cow dung and spreading on the land, farming (Which require some to be dropping the smaller pieces of the seed, while others will use hoe to cover the seeds), covering the farm land with leaves, weeding (which can be done two or three times before harvest time), fertilizer application (Applied twice or thrice), harvesting (Done by digging and picking each seed) slicing each and drying.
Note that during last farming season, a basin of Ginger seed was going for N12,000 which will only cover a very small portion. Also note that fertilizer which use to cost N8,000 but last farming season, the Local government offered subsidized fertilizer at @ N21,700

Despite this stress, the local dealers are regulating the prices at will, leaving poor farmers helpless.

From October 2021 to October 2022, a bag of Ginger was sold between N30,000 to N34,000 depending on how clean your Ginger is. A bag is usually 41kg. At least it was a little consolation to farmers.

From November local dealers started bringing down the price, knowing farmers have no option, since they have needs. From 30k to 28k, to 21k to 20k to 18k to 15k and now back 20k.

Whereas I have been following the wholesale price of Ginger online. Let's take the price of Ginger as at 17th December, 2022.
It was sold at $3.58 per kg. Each bag is 41kg, assuming $ is N700, it means it was going N102,746 and if we keep $ at N500, then it was going for N73,390 but as at that 17th December, local dealers were buying from famers @N18,000. HABA

I only know few dealers who use their personal money to buy ginger, transport to the wholesale market and sell it.
But must of them have bigger dealers within and outside the country who supply them with money to purchase ginger, while trailers keep coming to pack them away to the person that gave out the money.
My issue here is, most times you here that the bigger dealers pay this local dealers between 45k-60k per 41kg bag(Depending on who is providing the money) then this local dealers will inturn exploit the farmers by buying between 18-25 0r 30k-34k as the case of oct last year to oct this year.

Please if there is anyone who have an idea on ginger market should help and anyone who have ideas on how we can get out of the grip of these local dealers should please help.

Front page please.

The solution to your problem is simple. Let all ginger farmers in southern kaduna have one voice and form a union, dictate price for all and ensure everybody abide by it, proposed a central market this will give you people the power to control price but then again you people in southern kaduna are your own enemies.

116 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Redman44(m): 12:40pm On Dec 19, 2022
Mrsoft3:

The solution to your problem is simple. Let all ginger farmers in southern kaduna have one voice and form a union, dictate price for all and ensure everybody abide by it, proposed a central market this will give you people the power to control price but then again you people in southern kaduna are your own enemies.

Well said. Nigeria also needs its own wholesale b2b website like Alibaba or India Mart. Buyers in Europe, Asia, other parts of Africa etc can then buy directly from Nigerian farmers through this website.

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by TheWordM: 9:27am On Dec 20, 2022
Understood.
Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Ladiesdoctor(m): 9:28am On Dec 20, 2022
That's it
Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by DONFRANSKID(m): 9:28am On Dec 20, 2022
There is money in agriculture

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by bestman09(m): 9:29am On Dec 20, 2022
sad
Seems like buying and selling ginger is a very lucrative business. @op, thanks for this business idea. I'm interested in joining the dealers.
Let me do more research on it, thank you

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Aboguede(m): 9:31am On Dec 20, 2022
Ginger ke. I think say na food sef grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Yusufisraelj(m): 9:31am On Dec 20, 2022
DONFRANSKID:
There is money in agriculture

Absolutely, provided you know what you're doing (understanding the value chain)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Triangles1(m): 9:31am On Dec 20, 2022
Innocent souls on the beat.
Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Godfullsam(m): 9:32am On Dec 20, 2022
I wanted to buy 20 bags of ginger and store but I was told a bag is now 28k - 30k / bag.

It used to be less than that, especially in nov/December.

I was told to still buy it because the harvest was poor this yr and the price may double next year.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by obedience4(m): 9:32am On Dec 20, 2022
Nairaland has been kind of dull this week

3 Likes

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Indelibleage: 9:33am On Dec 20, 2022
May all the sincere farmers in Nigeria not labour for the wind or labour in vain.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Teeroyzimma: 9:33am On Dec 20, 2022
Bandits and Agberos have really taken over the country. Just 2 months ago 3 Agberos attempted to kidnap me in Lagos, they chased me in the dark alleyways of Ikeja but they didn’t know that I was usain bolt’s cousin, so they weren’t able to catch up. Unfortunately I lost my phone to the bastards.

All I can say is It will not be well with anybody that votes for Tinubu or APC, our country must be better by force. Peter Obi is the only one that can save our dear nation.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by money121(m): 9:33am On Dec 20, 2022
Ok
Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Cantonese: 9:34am On Dec 20, 2022
Good write up.
Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Stanley4E(m): 9:35am On Dec 20, 2022
How can we partner?
Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by sonnie10: 9:35am On Dec 20, 2022
See how you calculated it like the ginger would disappear and appear in foreign countries to be sold at #100k equivalent.

Air cargo alone is about $3 per kg. That means a 41kg bag would cost $123 just to transport outside.

If you go the sea freight route which takes forever, you would still have to pay about $1 per kg. That is $41 for a bag just for shipping.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by kilisi(m): 9:35am On Dec 20, 2022
The problem with farming in Nigeria especially for subsistence farmers is that most of the gain goes to the middle men. I mean those who go into the interior villages to buy buy from farmers and sell to traders. They make double or even triple their investments for every purchase.

I was into Cucumber farming around 2016 and 2017 and you need to see how they buy from farmers at a very ridiculous price.

The problem is that they are aware that farm produce are more often than not perishable goods, so you can't afford to keep them for a lo g period of time. They use that opportunity to buy from farmer who are desperate to avoid loss at a ridiculously low price.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Kutunban: 9:36am On Dec 20, 2022
Southern Kaduna Ginger farmers know their problem. Sadly, they don't have the capacity for Unity both business wise and politically.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Johnrake69: 9:37am On Dec 20, 2022
Our business practices are directly responsible for pool of 133 million Nigerians living in multi dimensional poverty.

This is were government comes in. Infact, the farmers are not supposed to have any business with dealers.

Government should offer them reasonable contracts to buy out whatever they produce. That's what happens in places like America and Europe. This helps the farmers to focus on productivity.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Jeromejnr(m): 9:38am On Dec 20, 2022
Lassbati222:

Front page please.

So OP, you are from my side. Also a Ham native. My folks do ginger also.
Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Ayomipoe(m): 9:39am On Dec 20, 2022
I don’t know much about farming, the person above that suggested unionizing naught be right. Although that might meet stiff resistance and there will always be sell outs.
A possible approach will be attempting to modernize the process. Reducing the manual bits and improving the cleaning and storing process. This will allow farmers to bypass the local dealers and sell directly to foreign buyers.
I am not naive to think that it will be possible without a huge capital, but if you are looking for capital and support, you need to already know how much you want and the risks.

Lassbati222:

Front page please.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Heroicvic(m): 9:40am On Dec 20, 2022
Try to link up with the foreigners yourself
Find a way, there has to be and try to resist the local buyer with one voice..

Your problem is not the local buyer rather being illiterate, we wouldn't have known if no one brought this to nairaland

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Callmemike(m): 9:41am On Dec 20, 2022
Can you form a Ginger Farmers Producer and Marketing Society? If you can, it will solve your problems. Firstly, as a Cooperative, you enjoy the economies of large scale production. Also you can control the local ginger market when you sell as a unit. Look at it from this angle and you won't go wrong.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by LOVEGINO(m): 9:42am On Dec 20, 2022
Lassbati222:

Front page please.
its a cool biz oo.
Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Ventura1: 9:42am On Dec 20, 2022
It is basically lack of education on the part of the farmers. The unfortunate aspect is that they also often talk down on education.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by naturefellow(m): 9:42am On Dec 20, 2022
Well done! Happy to know that the plight is not related to the seemingly endless insecurity situation in the state.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by Fjord: 9:43am On Dec 20, 2022
cry
Re: The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna by akanbiaa(m): 9:44am On Dec 20, 2022
Hmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA / I Want To Start A Poultry After I Graduate / My New Cucumber Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.