Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,720 members, 7,809,733 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:05 PM

What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? (38075 Views)

Which Direction Is The Bus Going - Photo / “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? / The Bus Oshiomhole Donated To UNIBEN SUG 3 Years Ago (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by AnanseK(m): 7:25pm On Jul 10, 2019

In English there is nothing like “in the bus”Is always on the bus
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by federal9: 7:28pm On Jul 10, 2019
Kylekent59:
In the bus is very wrong

On the bus is the right words to use.

A bus has space and passengers can move around.

When there is space to move around, we use "on"

on the bus, on the train, on a boat,on a plane ....e.t.c. ( when it comes to transportation)
I am on a boat

I am on a bus

On a plane ( a plane has space and there is movement)
We us "in" if the space is confined. there is no movement, you enter and come off.

In a car, In a canoe,in a yatch, ... e.t.c.

I am in the car

I am in a canoe.

The only time you use "in the bus" is when you left an object or material( now it's not about transportation but location)

I left my bag in the bus.

The logic has to do with the space ( if the person is free to move or not)

In a private car, like toyota muscle , you can't walk inside the car)

I think I agree with this.

It has to do with space. tnks.

I get confused on what preposition to use.

In came, on camp, at camp. please explain
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 10, 2019
When you get on to a bus, you are walking on to it, then to your seat. Same with a plane, boat, and train...you're able to walk around in the space. And whereas, when you get into a car, you're getting directly into your seat...no space to move around. In essence, for the larger mode of transportation, we use 'On' like 'On the train', 'On an airplane', 'On a ship' etc. We use 'In' to show that something is enclosed or surrounded. Hope this helps.
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Kylekent59: 7:37pm On Jul 10, 2019
kings59:

You are very correct. I learned something today from your comment.

Please I would like to know when to use in the corner, at the corner, on the corner?

Normally we say, "at the corner"

Example: Where did you leave my book? check at the corner

We us "at" for specification in terms of location.

We use "in " and "on" to be more specific.

"in"

I left the Knife in the corner of the kitchen.

Here the Kitchen is an enclosed space, so we use "in"
Enclosed space + specification in terms of location we use "in"

"on"

On is for open space. To be specific with a location that is not enclosed we use "on"

I was robbed on the corner of Olatunji street.

Open space + specification in terms of location, we use "on"

People were seen playing foot ball on the street of lagos.
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 10, 2019
On a bus - In transit via bus
In a bus - Physical location
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by ujezeez(m): 7:45pm On Jul 10, 2019
Me i like know the difference between in the bed and on the bed...?...
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Kylekent59: 7:46pm On Jul 10, 2019
federal9:

I think I agree with this.

It has to do with space. tnks.

I get confused on what preposition to use.

In came, on camp, at camp. please explain

Normally we us "at" for specification without saying the name of the location.

Example : Food served at camp was so delicious.

Now, when you now tell us the name of the came, e.g Lagos

Food served in Lagos camp was so palatable.

"On "

We can't say "on" camp. Except you are processing your camp details. On camp means you are putting something up for camp.

I am in Lagos camp

I am at camp.

Hope you gat the idea.

Just like saying:

I am in my office. ( My office, there is more specification)

I am at the office. ( Just specific) .
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by toks208: 7:54pm On Jul 10, 2019
briggz09:
"On the bus" means you're in transit in a bus while "in the bus" means you're in the bus and not transiting

English is self conflicting and confusing at the same time...

So I just got on the bus and I'm in the bus right now waiting for it to move...

Then the bus starts moving and you now call someone to say you are on the bus and suddenly there is grid lock and you are static then you call the person and you say you are in the bus....

Confused people.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by judgementyard(m): 7:57pm On Jul 10, 2019
camoncx2019:
When the bus is in motion - on the bus

When the bus is not in motion - in the bus

cry
you not chop your school fees!

Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by sonnie10: 7:57pm On Jul 10, 2019
Think of the conductor and the passenger. While the former is usually on the bus, the latter is for safety and comfort in the bus
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Tolupiz(m): 8:25pm On Jul 10, 2019
Sorry i wont be able to answer this question because i score hiv in english and did not attend english school
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by DammyGbade(m): 8:52pm On Jul 10, 2019
On the bus is used when the bus is in motion grin while in the bus is used when the bus is not moving smiley
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Benwallt(m): 9:31pm On Jul 10, 2019
EXLOVER:
One you're inside the bus.

The other one you're dancing skelewu on top of the bus.
'In goes with 'out' & 'inside' goes with 'outside'. Therefore you can't say you are outside of the bus.
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by boolet: 9:38pm On Jul 10, 2019
camoncx2019:

cry
Wagbayi!
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Tunagee(m): 9:52pm On Jul 10, 2019
camoncx2019:

cry

Seems right
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Butoneday2(m): 10:04pm On Jul 10, 2019
I dey inside bus Shikena? tongue
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Nifemi2512(m): 10:42pm On Jul 10, 2019
The difference is simple;
1)*on the bus*: This implies that the bus is on motion or moving in a particular direction.
2)*in the bus*: Means you are either seated or settled inside the bus,which is NOT MOVING. The bus is STATIC. Its on rest.
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Monday60655(m): 10:58pm On Jul 10, 2019
On the bus means on top of the bus

In the bus means inside the bus
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Antichristus: 1:21am On Jul 11, 2019
WOW? Nigeria is finished. None of the answers given is grammatically correct. People no longer study English grammar.

'On the bus', 'on the train', 'on the flight' all refer to living occupants travelling via these modes of transportation (moving or stationary).
'In the bus', 'in the train', 'in the flight' are used in the context of fatal accidents where occupant(s) sadly passed away, and are described as being 'in the bus', 'in the train', 'in the flight'.

Hope this helps.
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Antichristus: 1:22am On Jul 11, 2019
Nifemi2512:
The difference is simple;
1)*on the bus*: This implies that the bus is on motion or moving in a particular direction.
2)*in the bus*: Means you are either seated or settled inside the bus,which is NOT MOVING. The bus is STATIC. Its on rest.

Lies.
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Antichristus: 1:23am On Jul 11, 2019
DammyGbade:
On the bus is used when the bus is in motion grin while in the bus is used when the bus is not moving smiley

Lies
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Antichristus: 1:24am On Jul 11, 2019
afemaiboy:
On a bus - In transit via bus
In a bus - Physical location

Stop misleading younger people on this site. You're absolutely wrong. People no longer study the rules of grammar these days.
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by mechanics(m): 7:53am On Jul 11, 2019
The bus is on the road, then am in the bus.
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 11, 2019
Antichristus:

Stop misleading younger people on this site. You're absolutely wrong. People no longer study the rules of grammar these days.
Professor AntiChrist, please educate yourself with this, before you fail JAMB for the umpteenth time!

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-correct-%E2%80%9CI-am-in-the-bus%E2%80%9D-or-%E2%80%9CI-am-on-the-bus%E2%80%9D

Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by briggz09(m): 10:28pm On Jul 11, 2019
toks208:

English is self conflicting and confusing at the same time...

So I just got on the bus and I'm in the bus right now waiting for it to move...

Then the bus starts moving and you now call someone to say you are on the bus and suddenly there is grid lock and you are static then you call the person and you say you are in the bus....

Confused people.
Lol
Re: What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jul 11, 2019
on the bus means the bus is begining to start travelling in the bus means inner inside of the bus

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging / Fulani Herdsmen Invade Primary School, Classroom In Edo With Cattle (Photos) / Afe Babalola University In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.