Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,839 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:48 PM

Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? - Investment (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? (40004 Views)

Nigeria Bonds Rise After Tinubu Subsidy Removal / Free Bnb Miner ( No Deposit Or Investment) / Bonds Investors Hub (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by AreaFada2: 4:47pm On Jul 14, 2019
dominique:

There is a thread about it that was active last year and early this year. You can go through it and make enquiries there

https://www.nairaland.com/4524641/bonds-investors-hub
yep
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by boron10(m): 4:48pm On Jul 14, 2019
cruzydal:

Fixed deposit is never higher . Tbills is even higher and more secured . Even big bank customers that put millions into fixed deposit too . Their account officers negotiate the rate .yet it isn’t up to treasury bill
Well, TB current rate is 12.5% for 364 days. If you have up to 100m naira, you can fix it at 13.5% for 30 days.
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by Tessyy1701: 4:49pm On Jul 14, 2019
cruzydal:
Gov bond is far better it has a high interest rate and is more secure since it’s the government. If u want to invest gov bond is the best, if not treasury bill before considering fixed deposit
Which one is Gov bond And how can I go about it?

Urgent Answer please
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by mira4u: 4:51pm On Jul 14, 2019
Bonds any day anytime. Fixed deposit is waste of time
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 14, 2019
What is the difference between shares and bonds ?
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by naphunlimited(m): 4:57pm On Jul 14, 2019
I think TB is better.
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 14, 2019
@OP
FGN Bond is paying about 13 to 14%
Free subscription fee for Nigerians
You do not have to pay your broker a kobo for buying bond for you.
You are not paying witholding tax on bond?
You can use bond to borrow money from banks
The only cons about bond... The yield is paid quarterly.
It means you have to be financially disciplined in order to reinvest the yield.

Fixed deposit is a financial scam.
You can't get more than 10%
The bank took your money with 90% chance of investing it in government bonds and 10% chance of investing it in Treasury bill.
They charge you 10% witholding tax
You get paid at the end of tenure.
You loose 20% accrued interest if you terminate the fixed deposit b4 end of tenure.

Right now, in Nigeria financial market, I will recommend
An endowment fund by AIICO minimum 6 yrs
And
www.doubble.ng
Minimum 3 years
Both products can double your target by 80% to 100%
Within 5 years.
I subscribed to both products as part of diversification with respect to paper asset.
You can also venture into doubble.ng dollar denominated product which pays over 6% /annum
No bank in US pays that.
Wishing you a good luck in your quest for financial freedom.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by cruzydal(m): 5:00pm On Jul 14, 2019
boron10:

Well, TB current rate is 12.5% for 364 days. If you have up to 100m naira, you can fix it at 13.5% for 30 days.
It’s never possible to get tbills at 30days . The lowest I have seen is 47 days .NOTE the duration and rate changes daily
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by Najyin(m): 5:05pm On Jul 14, 2019
lannre:
Please which is better between shares and fixed deposit. Between how can I retrieve my shareholders account number. Dangote Sugar paid dividend directly into my Zenith account last month. I am wiling to get information about my access and eco bank dividends too.

Please about how much dividend did the Dangote sugar pay you and around how much did you invest on it. Thanks bro.
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by boron10(m): 5:05pm On Jul 14, 2019
cruzydal:

It’s never possible to get tbills at 30days . The lowest I have seen is 47 days .NOTE the duration and rate changes daily

Yeah, read my post well. TB is currently 12.5% for 364 days while you can negotiate FTD at 13.5% if you have up to 100 million naira.
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by Odjirigho: 5:08pm On Jul 14, 2019
BoboKush:
Fixed less than a million is usually below 10%... I don't knw abt bond.... I hope this help

I can give him 13% for 90 days
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by Odjirigho: 5:16pm On Jul 14, 2019
cruzydal:

Fixed deposit is never higher . Tbills is even higher and more secured . Even big bank customers that put millions into fixed deposit too . Their account officers negotiate the rate .yet it isn’t up to treasury bill

Nop! My bank gives up to 13% for fixed between 60 days to 365 days and we do as high as 16% per annum if you want a two years tenure.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by MrBONE2(m): 5:19pm On Jul 14, 2019
handsomeyinka:
Come make I burst your brain..

You have two options to invest your money.

Just rent a room and turn it to a church..(LALASTICLALA BIBILE MINISTRY),just organize two fake miracles and you will HIT the bank every monday to deposit your return.

Another option,just get an internet,a computer,a desk and chair and a reset brain to start a yahoo business..
Don't use GLO NETWORK IF you don't want your magga to swell for you..

Do any of both and thank me later in 6 months.

Church refrence...RETIRED PASTOR ABIODUN FATOYINBO..(COZA)

Yahoo refrence...NAIRA MARLEY...(PRISON RETURNEE).
cheesy

Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by handsomeyinka(m): 5:21pm On Jul 14, 2019
MrBONE2:
cheesy
Lol.
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by LordAdam: 5:23pm On Jul 14, 2019
IamSoProlific:

Sometime last year I was in your shoes.
Do you know what I did?
Being someone that thinks to paper and acts from paper. I brought out a paper and pen.

I wrote down how much to be invested, thought about occurrences that may make me need the money urgently and how reliable is my current financial support.

In your own case, how much do you want to invest and is it something you may not be needing regardless how urgently you may need money.

Zenith tbills doesn't do less than a million, if you can't have patient with bond longevity, then go for tbills if the money is over half a million, since banks like GTbank do accept that.

In my own case because I really hate waiting and I can't deal with bond since our government policies can affect it and the country is not really stable and most shares due to same government policies are volatile. I split the money into four places, invested on fd,tbills respectively, then for the remaining two I bought two cars, one for e-hailing services and the other for outright higher purchase. I was using the both dividends to reinvest on fd and tbills and they did- still doing tremendously well as we speak.

If the money is over 5-10mill then go for bond, knowing fully well you have the patience and can stand the risk- yes I said RISK, because that's what it is in all ramifications. Thinking about government ill policies and what if the country ends up parking up/splitting up.

My two cents tho.

From a strictly technical POV, T-Bills, Bonds, and Fixed Deposits are primarily to save money in an ultra-low risk instrument that beats annual inflation. This is why the inflation rate and t-bills/bond rates sit within the same band.

In Nigeria with inflation in the double digits, it's no surprise t-bills/bonds are in the double-digits. In much of the Western world where it's mostly 1.5% +/- 1% or less; bond rates hover around 1% +/- 1%.

As such to be clear, you're certainly losing money if you save in the bank (due to inflation), but t-bills/bonds/fixed deposits and similar instruments aren't really investments that'd move the financial needle substantially. For that, you have to invest in a business.

It may be direct like when you buy or start a local business in full or in part, or indirectly via shares. With the latter, you do not only have to concern yourself with the share price performance, but dividend yield. Both are riskier than government or private bonds (or FD/CD); but they can rapidly increase your wealth if you strike gold.

To put this in an analogy you may better understand; consider your own plan. Invest in FD + T-Bills + e-Hailing + Car Resale. e-Hailing and Car Resale would yield better returns than FD and T-Bills all things being equal. They are businesses. However, they're riskier.

It doesn't make economic sense to channel all of your business returns (net profit) into FD/T-Bills/Bonds. Some of it, sure, as a matter of financial prudence. But most of it should be channeled to expanding the businesses you run, starting others, or investing in other well-run businesses you know. Unless of course, you're completely satisfied with your current financial standing, are very risk-averse, or have too much on your plate already.

Growing and managing wealth is almost never as simplistic as the advice shared by most on threads of this nature. I usually ignore, but decided to give my 2 cents on your plan, since it is not hypothetical.

Folks should read more on investing, how money works, and preferably talk to licensed financial advisors before taking financial decisions of note.

-Lord

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by Treasure17(m): 5:26pm On Jul 14, 2019
Chimaokigwe:

Not all lives are fruitful, some lives are barren and some are low-yielding.
So, why should he sow into your life?
Wow..Interesting response

Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by iamwalexab(m): 5:39pm On Jul 14, 2019
cruzydal:
Gov bond is far better it has a high interest rate and is more secure since it’s the government. If u want to invest gov bond is the best, if not treasury bill before considering fixed deposit
please I want you to enlighten me on how to invest in government bond, minimum amount and what’s the % of the interest
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by ozome15(m): 5:42pm On Jul 14, 2019
boron10:

What if I have say like 1m
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by brodalikeme(m): 5:42pm On Jul 14, 2019
cruzydal:
I will NEVER fix my money in any Nigerian bank. They dont support SMEs and their interest rate is crazy. If Nigerian commercial banks were kind towards SMEs and start up, China will have nothing on us. The microfinance banks that should have fixed this problem has no structure and credibility. Hence small business and in coma or in the hands of sherlock undertakers also known as money lenders.
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jul 14, 2019
dejolly:

Shares is better if you can get a good broker that can analyse the market knowing when to buy or sell but not reliable for because of economic downturn. But fixed deposit is more safer but very ridiculous interest rate. For the dividend you will have to go to your broker fill a transfer form on access and eco. All your dividend will be paid directly to your account.

You can consider this

OxfordGold integrated Limited is an investment company a subsidiaries of Oxford Commercial Services limited which is an real Estate company with over 15 real Estate within Lagos, Ogun and OYO State. 

Our investment plan are as follows :

3 months plan Gold Booster 

Minimum is N50,000
Maximum is N500,000
Return on investment (ROI) is 10% and 12%

6 months plan Gold Classic

Minimum is N600,000
Maximum is N5,000,000
Return on investment (ROI) is 15% and 18%

1 year plan Gold master 

Minimum N100,000
Maximum N50,000,000
Return on investment (ROI) is 25% and 35%

N2,000,000 worth of investment gives you 25% ROI and a half plot of Land at Grandeville Estate Mowe or Agbowa Ikorodu 

N3,000,000 worth of investment gives you 25% ROI and a full plot of Land at Grandeville Estate Mowe or Agbowa Ikorodu 

Office Address 
Oxford Gold Integrated Int'l Ltd.
House 168B, 111Rd, C close, Gowon Estate, Egbeda

Ask for Tunde 
Investment Manager 
www.oxfordgroupng.com

AND AT THE END OF THE TENURE, THE INVESTMENT MANAGER WILL DISAPPEAR....
MR. TUNDE NUMBER WILL BE UNREACHABLE
THE OFFICE IS NOW VACANT
STORY THAT TOUCH THE HEART....
YOU ARE SO CONFIDENT OF YOUR DEEDS, DESPITE KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE UP TO..

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by Just2endowed2(m): 5:43pm On Jul 14, 2019
anyimontana:
T-bills is bae
Stupid banks will gather all ur fixed money at 6% and invest it in tbills for 13-14%..making double on ur illiterate ass

TB is the best for now, rate are 100% higher Than fixed deposit

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by Kolping: 5:47pm On Jul 14, 2019
Federal Government of Nigeria Savings Bond

https://www.nairaland.com/3658395/fgn-savings-bond

iamwalexab:
please I want you to enlighten me on how to invest in government bond, minimum amount and what’s the % of the interest
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by ccollins(m): 5:55pm On Jul 14, 2019
Gentlewarrior1:

I currently use fixed deposit at 8.5 interest rate. I honestly think its not so bad considering its short term.

Mine is every month
please which financial institution gave you this rate and at what capital unit will they give that return rate
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by boron10(m): 5:57pm On Jul 14, 2019
ozome15:

What if I have say like 1m
It will be better invested in TB cos you won't get more than 10% interest on FTD
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by Samsonklin(m): 6:09pm On Jul 14, 2019
dejolly:

Shares is better if you can get a good broker that can analyse the market knowing when to buy or sell but not reliable for because of economic downturn. But fixed deposit is more safer but very ridiculous interest rate. For the dividend you will have to go to your broker fill a transfer form on access and eco. All your dividend will be paid directly to your account.

You can consider this

OxfordGold integrated Limited is an investment company a subsidiaries of Oxford Commercial Services limited which is an real Estate company with over 15 real Estate within Lagos, Ogun and OYO State. 

Our investment plan are as follows :

3 months plan Gold Booster 

Minimum is N50,000
Maximum is N500,000
Return on investment (ROI) is 10% and 12%

6 months plan Gold Classic

Minimum is N600,000
Maximum is N5,000,000
Return on investment (ROI) is 15% and 18%

1 year plan Gold master 

Minimum N100,000
Maximum N50,000,000
Return on investment (ROI) is 25% and 35%

N2,000,000 worth of investment gives you 25% ROI and a half plot of Land at Grandeville Estate Mowe or Agbowa Ikorodu 

N3,000,000 worth of investment gives you 25% ROI and a full plot of Land at Grandeville Estate Mowe or Agbowa Ikorodu 

Office Address 
Oxford Gold Integrated Int'l Ltd.
House 168B, 111Rd, C close, Gowon Estate, Egbeda

Ask for Tunde 
Investment Manager 
www.oxfordgroupng.com
YouDonMeanIt. Is that so?
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by coruso(m): 6:12pm On Jul 14, 2019
duality:
All these investment and shares sef..

That was how they pressures us to invest through AMYN investment abi na AYIC investment owned by one Hauwa Audu... I don't even know if the organization still exist or the small money don enter voice mail.

I really don't take all these shares things seriously. People are just looking for how to collect you money either legitimately or illegitimately.
I am in the same shoes.....brought some share through AMYN investment back then,transferring the share now look like impossible having lost the recipient I got from share purchase with them. The good side is am collecting dividends of like worth around 10% yearly.
From my little knowledge Bonds or TBills is better.
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by Gforce2019: 6:15pm On Jul 14, 2019
philip0906:
Fraudsters and beggers have crept in like bees hunting for honey...

See this one

I'm not a beggar I'm your prophet on nairaland.

I can see your future.... Hmmm!
I'm in spirit
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by Gforce2019: 6:17pm On Jul 14, 2019
udomma1005:

We go soon catch u......... �‍♂️

It's not me. It your family group SARS will catch.
Infact, they are coming for you soon.
See your self spending 6years in kirikiri.
See you yourself rotten in kirikiri
Re: Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? by charlsecy(m): 6:18pm On Jul 14, 2019
iCauseTrouble:
this is still the best. It has stood the test of time since the days of Ado Bayero, Awolowo and Azikwe
Piggybank will be hard hit by inflation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Abuja Pastor Organises Prayers For MMM Victims (Photo) / These Are The 3 Safest Investments In Nigeria Today. / What To Do With 2.5 Million Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.