Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. (93986 Views)

Driver Fleeing From Attack On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Rams Into Truck, Dies / What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? / BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by gidjah(m): 7:51am On Jul 25, 2019
falopey:
You are talking about a whole continent here. Which citizens of which country in Europe tour more than American citizens? None of course. Americans work the whole year just to spend all their earnings on vacations in summer and the circle continues year in year out.
thats their major problem. How many American citizens actually have 'true savings 'of their own and not some borrowed insurred govt aided funds? It's only very few Nigerians up here that are able to hustle /struggle to save out if harsh economic policies and tax system so as to push out some funds to their fellow Family members in Naija. Very few Americans have true life savings o. They eat it all out as it comes ,one day at a time, trust me got some yankkees as friends, na their way

2 Likes

Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Damfostopper(m): 7:55am On Jul 25, 2019
US is the greatest country of all times.......

ofcourse only a simpleton will disagree.....

but I prefer Canada to US.....
tired of hearing #Black life matters and gangstar ish in US

1 Like

Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Hadampson(m): 7:55am On Jul 25, 2019
InvertedHammer:

/
The greatest country is where your basic requirements are met. To some, America is the dream country. To others, it is a nightmare. As bad as Afghanistan is, some people will not want to leave it for anywhere else.

Beyond the rhetoric, everyone's experience will be different.

/

Word 100%

This is what i was telling them.

One man food is another man's poison. USA is okay, doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Nigerians love to overrate USA too much as if when you get there, you will be picking money on the street.

The country may be the greatest country to many Nigerians but definitely, not to me.

2 Likes

Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by alphaNomega: 7:57am On Jul 25, 2019
DarkJeddi:
You are fixated on the US because of your position of poverty,

Do you think Citizens from Countries with better living indices than the US, like Canada,Australia, Japan and the Scandinavians are in any rush to migrate to US with their overall inferior living standards? shocked

Even in Nigeria, there are people living far comfortable lives than a lot of Americans.

5 Likes

Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by alphaNomega: 7:58am On Jul 25, 2019
salford1:

The Canadian Prairies (usually referred to as simply the Prairies in Canada) is a region in Western Canada. It includes the Canadian portion of the Great Plains and the Prairie Provinces, namely Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. These provinces are partially covered by grasslands, plains, and lowlands, mostly in the southern regions. - Wiki

There are cities/towns/villages which are majorly hours of drive between each other. When you drive outside major cities, the pic below may be what you will see for hours of driving: Native pasture, oil pump jacks and farmlands.
Wages are generally higher in the prairies than other parts of Canada. Could be because of the low population due to much cold and longer winters.

Thank you very much smiley
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Celepope: 7:59am On Jul 25, 2019
Ritchiee:

Thanks Bruv.Thinking of coming to America.What are the best procedures for getting a US green card? Is it true that we have more than 2 million Nigerians in the USA.I saw this and I couldn't believe my eyes.1, 800,000....One million,eight hundred thousand
This is even in the year 2000
The city of Houston alone according to Harris county record has over 130,000 registered Nigerians making it the city with the highest Nigerian community in the US. Btw Those comparing Canada to the US need their head examine. How on earth is Canada or any damn country in Europe or even Australia greater than the United States? I have read the whole thread from the first page to the 15th and i see people misconstruing best place to live with greatest nation. The United States might not be the best place to live because of its security issues and ageing infrastructure but no country comes close to the US when GREATNESS is being talked about. Those arguing for Australia or Canada should come out and state how easy it is to achieve success in these country without having to fight through unimaginable huddles. In America, anyone can attain greatness and become successful be you legal or illegal, educated or uneducated. How many of these countries can offer you these opportunity? Someone was even trying to compare America to Germany. Na wa sef. I repeat if any country in the world should have 1/10 of the illegals swarming into America yearly, that country economy will not last 48 hours before it slide into unredeemable recession.Btw Canada is a very beautiful and peaceful country that prides itself with all calmness anyone can desire in life but they should be careful on how they continuously allow a large influx of headslammers. That might be their undoing in the nearest future. They are now all over Vancouver and Toronto.God Bless America

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by DavidEsq(m): 8:04am On Jul 25, 2019
yaki84:

Visit first ke?
Visit is meant for alaba, ariaria, onitsha ngwa, sokoto or markudi.
A nigerian cant visit newyork, we dey move to newyork!

Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Hadampson(m): 8:05am On Jul 25, 2019
FannySwindler1:
I'm a Nigerian citizen and Nigeria is the greatest country. It is very easy to Swindle Fanny in Nigeria than in any of those countries being mentioned.

Can't people just pass their points across without telling us about their citizenship. Why the showmanship?

Joke of the century grin grin

The only person that can agree with you is pidgin2
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by seanwilliam(m): 8:06am On Jul 25, 2019
Duggedised12:
what is the business of a migrant with military and political?.
i told him each of the countries strenght
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Duggedised12(f): 8:07am On Jul 25, 2019
seanwilliam:
i told him each of the countries strenght
OK, just looking at it from the side of a migrant tho,cos this thread is about migration.
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Hadampson(m): 8:09am On Jul 25, 2019
pansophist:

See eh, I live in the Netherlands. I am so comfortable here that moving to the USA will reduce my quality of life. America has no public healthcare system, and healthcare is the number one reason for bankruptcy in the US, meanwhile here, even if my medical bills cost 100 million dollars, I won't pay a dime. It is completely free. Education is almost free, and as NL is a country of the EU, its citizens are entitled to live anywhere and access quality services like citizens there. Education in the Nordics are completely free, and I will take a course in maybe Sweden or Finland next year, and it will be completely free for me. An American ex that came to my uni for exchange could not believe that it was free for us to study, and she has close to 150k usd in student loan. Imagine starting life as a young adult with that amount owed to a bank, and it grows with interest. Just in case you do not know, student debt is a common cause of suicide in the US among young people.

The US is not safe, with the gun problems, I can't imagine raising a kid there. How about the foods? do I need to remind that the US is the most obese country in the world? Americans are fat because the food there is horrible. GMO in foods without the label. Over here, every foods has a label if its GMO or organic, so I know what I am eating. And I do not like that government spend money bombing other countries, policing the world and destabilizing smaller countries. Also, mobility in EU is so efficient. Go to ryanair.com, wizzair.com, or easyjet.com, you will see cheap flight for as little as 5euros to let's say the UK from Germany. Travelling is cheap, efficient and awesome. It is difficult for me not to travel at least once a month to a different country. In the winter if I need sun, the Spanish island in Africa, or Malta, or somewhere in Italy will do. Like snow? go to Scandinavia, the EU is like a giant, multicultural country, and I love it.

The US taxes its citizens on income they earn abroad. SO if you are an American working in the UK, you pay tax from your salary in the UK to the US. I am trying not to write a long sentence here, but if you wanna know exactly how I feel like a European to move to the US, read this thread on Quora, with European telling you why the US is a bad deal for to move to. I tell you in all honesty, I won't if you gave me an American passport. I can visit, but will never live there.

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-we-have-more-people-from-countries-like-Norway-immigrating-to-America

One million likes smiley cool
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by seanwilliam(m): 8:12am On Jul 25, 2019
Duggedised12:
OK, just looking at it from the side of a migrant tho,cos this thread is about migration.
millitary should be considered too, atleast for safety against external forces
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by willian10: 8:15am On Jul 25, 2019
pansophist:

See eh, I live in the Netherlands. I am so comfortable here that moving to the USA will reduce my quality of life. America has no public healthcare system, and healthcare is the number one reason for bankruptcy in the US, meanwhile here, even if my medical bills cost 100 million dollars, I won't pay a dime. It is completely free. Education is almost free, and as NL is a country of the EU, its citizens are entitled to live anywhere and access quality services like citizens there. Education in the Nordics are completely free, and I will take a course in maybe Sweden or Finland next year, and it will be completely free for me. An American ex that came to my uni for exchange could not believe that it was free for us to study, and she has close to 150k usd in student loan. Imagine starting life as a young adult with that amount owed to a bank, and it grows with interest. Just in case you do not know, student debt is a common cause of suicide in the US among young people.

The US is not safe, with the gun problems, I can't imagine raising a kid there. How about the foods? do I need to remind that the US is the most obese country in the world? Americans are fat because the food there is horrible. GMO in foods without the label. Over here, every foods has a label if its GMO or organic, so I know what I am eating. And I do not like that government spend money bombing other countries, policing the world and destabilizing smaller countries. Also, mobility in EU is so efficient. Go to ryanair.com, wizzair.com, or easyjet.com, you will see cheap flight for as little as 5euros to let's say the UK from Germany. Travelling is cheap, efficient and awesome. It is difficult for me not to travel at least once a month to a different country. In the winter if I need sun, the Spanish island in Africa, or Malta, or somewhere in Italy will do. Like snow? go to Scandinavia, the EU is like a giant, multicultural country, and I love it.

The US taxes its citizens on income they earn abroad. SO if you are an American working in the UK, you pay tax from your salary in the UK to the US. I am trying not to write a long sentence here, but if you wanna know exactly how I feel like a European to move to the US, read this thread on Quora, with European telling you why the US is a bad deal for to move to. I tell you in all honesty, I won't if you gave me an American passport. I can visit, but will never live there.

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-we-have-more-people-from-countries-like-Norway-immigrating-to-America

Did u just say 5 Euro for flight?
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Duggedised12(f): 8:16am On Jul 25, 2019
seanwilliam:
millitary should be considered too, atleast for safety against external forces
Any country that has relatively stable economy and technology has law and oder,they go hand in hand and that is all a migrant needs ,except you want to join the military force of the said country .
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Celepope: 8:16am On Jul 25, 2019
AnthonyAk:

25 per hour is not money bro , atleast its not enough to afford to rent a 1 bedroom flat and still eat in my city. Im not even adding making car payments and saving. To live a decent life in any major north american city one needs atleast 75k annually and thats the bare minimum to rent , pay bills , get a car loan , save and still go out

Dont go and bunch yourself with north american problems because you and an american arent coming from the same place.

So because most north americans are bums dosent mean i have to me.
If you consider one earning 50 thousand dollar per annum as being a bum then i do not know what we will call graduates in Nigeria that earn less than 500 thousand naira per annum. That 50k per annum in some major American cities i.e Baltimore, Houston, and Indianapolis will give that person an average and comfortable lifestyle if the person is single and lives within their means. Thoughts like yours are what drives many into PICKING FRAUD that alot of young Nigerians are engaged in.
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by willian10: 8:17am On Jul 25, 2019
ogbonti:

easier said than done.. do you think u will just marry and then they give u green card?

Once they interview you and your iyawo and something doesnt seem right, even to those who claim fell in love, that happens to them, and your adjustment petition is denied, they will put you on deportation proceedings immediately and the American who petitioned for you will be docked for perjury up to 10 years and or/ $10,000 fine... people i know that have suffered this fate are up to 20 Nigerians... u think visa interview is hard in Lagos? wait until you attend adjustment of status interview-----when those who have experienced it here tell their stories, your legs will freeze inside warm water out of fear

U can actually find a love, not a paid marriage this time

1 Like

Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Nobody: 8:26am On Jul 25, 2019
salford1:

I am a Citizen of Canada, and he is right. USA is indeed the greatest country in the world. grin

I have learnt to seperate patriotism from reality.
don't mind sirmu, the guy is still in Nigeria and he's making comparison.

1 Like

Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by WildChild00(m): 8:28am On Jul 25, 2019
sisipelebe:
don't mind sirmu, the guy is still in Nigeria and he's making comparison.

Sisi

kiss
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by willian10: 8:30am On Jul 25, 2019
franchasng:
Netherlands is far below US to even compare.

The airport looked so old and close to dirty like African airports angry

Netherlands is a small country with small population, so there is no need to compare because Netherlands is like Nevada in US angry

One can use bicycle to circle round Netherlands in one day tongue

Healthcare is costly in US, yes I agree.

Education too is but Americans afford it and end up great and richer than Europeans who attend free eduction and free healthcare, so what's the need

Where is all the money you Europeans saved if at the end we can't find you guys among top billionaires

Only few Europeans are billionaires, while America produces almost 70% of worlds billionaires and richest people, so what's the need for the free education and free healthcare in Europe

US is the greatest country on earth as at now, take or or leave it!

You made a lot of sense, your points are real but inapt to what pansophist said.
He proved that living in Netherland as a Nigerian is better than living in the USA, u said their airport looks old... are u going there to take pictures?
There are many billionaires in the USA.. are u going there to become a billionaire?
Good to know u said the school fees are easier to pay for Americans, not an alien.
Try to understand a post before arguing.

1 Like

Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by sayisayi(m): 8:34am On Jul 25, 2019
pDudd:
I know a few illegal immigrants in my neighborhood who are Nigerians. One particular lady introduced my wife to the party life. Now my wife has gone astray and parties every weekend. I have decided to call ICE on her and her family this weekend.

Bros, control your wife na!

3 Likes

Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by TotoNaRubber: 8:38am On Jul 25, 2019

My brother don't bother, there is a lot of mindlessly foolisqh arguments like the one i just read saying , my uncle's sister's wife who works from home earns 90, 000 pounds a year""'. The idiots who say such has never been to yaba and he doesn't know the truth till he gets to cross over.

Enjoy your life jare, no mind them.

Backfornow:
cry everytime I think I've gotten caught up with the comments, there are at least 2 more to read.
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Rubbiish(m): 8:47am On Jul 25, 2019
pDudd:
I know a few illegal immigrants in my neighborhood who are Nigerians. One particular lady introduced my wife to the party life. Now my wife has gone astray and parties every weekend. I have decided to call ICE on her and her family this weekend.
The bold is bad don't do it
Talk to your wife pls

1 Like

Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Hadampson(m): 8:53am On Jul 25, 2019
ogbonti:

every naija who lived in europe, visited the USA and never returned to EUROPE, why Sir?

Nothing other than language barrier sir
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by pansophist(m): 8:58am On Jul 25, 2019
sassysure:

Don't argue with these people.

In this nairaland alone, those living in US tend to show off a lot more than those in other countries. I often wonder why.
Majority of them are uncouth.
I don't know if they see others as inferior to them.

It is generally known that Americans are arrogant, ignorant and believe in their propaganda that the US is the best country in the world. Most don't have a passport, talk more of even leaving their states. Traveling out, to see the larger world is not an American thing, and somehow, they think people are dying to live there. Yes, maybe does from poor, underdeveloped countries, but most Europeans and people from well-off countries are not dying to live in the US. According to the department of homeland security, the country that sent the most immigrant to the US are mostly from poor, underdeveloped world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_the_United_States#Origin

Their need to migrate to the US is due to survival, to select the lesser of two evils, and largely because Europe especially have a tight immigration policy, that as it is now, the only practical way to migrate is if you have a family. Anyone that is updated with how life is in the US and lives in Europe, will consider the US as a bad deal. Also, Europeans are used to being respected, passing through the US immigration system, and the current Trump administration saga will destroy any thread of sanity, and to treated like scum, its a no-no.

Now, this seems personal, I have a distaste for the American culture. Its pure capitalism that is sickened. Everywhere, it is an advertisement to buy something, it is a highly monetized society where my value to other people, the society and the government is how much I have to buy stuff I do not even need. The only place in the US that you go, without feeling like you have to fork out money is the library, and no, not the church, it is highly monetized as well. You better not be broke there, that will be hell on earth. I can understand if the average Nigerians like the US, but hardly you will see those from well-off countries migrate there, never.

6 Likes

Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by SouthHomieMob: 8:59am On Jul 25, 2019
Africa is the ancestral home of all humans. Later humans migrated to Europe where civilisation started. Some Europeans migrated further to America. When Americans migrate to Mars that would be another milestone. Americans you say is the best are logically same Europeans who migrated from Europe. America is not great without the route from Africa to Europe to America
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Hadampson(m): 9:04am On Jul 25, 2019
ogbonti:

Canada is superior to many European countries but INFERIOR to the USA

European countries like Malta, Greece, Slovenia, Ukraine etc
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Hadampson(m): 9:05am On Jul 25, 2019
TSRC:
Germany is highly underrated.

Germany and Japan. The greatest countries in the world in real terms.

God bless you for that.

My two selected countries smiley
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by pansophist(m): 9:08am On Jul 25, 2019
willian10:

You made a lot of sense, your points are real but inapt to what pansophist said.
He proved that living in Netherland as a Nigerian is better than living in the USA, u said their airport looks old... are u going there to take pictures?
There are many billionaires in the USA.. are u going there to become a billionaire?
Good to know u said the school fees are easier to pay for Americans, not an alien.
Try to understand a post before arguing.

You de mind am? His post was laden with sentimentality, emotionally motivated, as opposed to verifiable fact. His love for the US, which coincide with his distaste for the UK, reveal his biases. The day you have to go for a medical surgery that cost Hundreds of thousands, and thousands further for post medication, then you will appreciate a system with free medical healthcare. America my foot. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Hadampson(m): 9:20am On Jul 25, 2019
franchasng:
I cannot live in UK even if they appoint me that their Queen errand boy they call Prime Minister. I rather relocate to Maiduguri Nigeria than live permanently in UK, cos if I dare live in UK, I will kill many British people with my bare hands angry

UK is a dying nation living on past glory, give them another 50yrs and Italy/Greece will be better than UK.

Laugh wan kill me die oh grin grin
Boss, take am easy, your hatred for UK won't change anything. If you have the opportunity to go there, move without thinking twice cos UK is not the same level with zoogeria tongue
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by timesup234: 9:22am On Jul 25, 2019
falopey:
$7 is what you have on the book. It’s actually $12 in some places and $15 in some other places. But in actual fact. No one is being paid $7. For the most part. Even people taking orders in restaurant go home with more than $12. Even dish washers in hotels are not paid $7. No one will take up a job that pays $7. Not now when employers are scrambling to retain their employees . I assisted a Nigerian that just came to the US with getting a dish washing job operating industrial dish washing machine in a hotel without paper to start with so he could pay his bills. He’s being paid $9.5 per hour with $12 for overtime. That’s with no paper o and for the fact that the hotel was taking advantage of his situation .

Meanwhile another African American coworker that is operating the same machine with him is being paid $15 per hour washing the same dish
The honest truth is that if they ask you a question in the citizenship test what is the US. hourly pay, the simple answer to pass that examination is $7.25. I know very much about the reasons you gave concerning other states paying as much as $15 but that is also applicable to places like Australia. People are also being paid above minimum wage there
Re: Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. by Rollitout: 9:24am On Jul 25, 2019
Originalsly:
I write from my New York City perspective. This is more for those who are planning on living here illegally. Do not do it... don't jump out of the frying pan and into the fire. Not discouragement.... but enlightenment. Don't count on people to help you...it is a dog eat dog situation. Sooo many opportunities would not be available to you.... for jobs... for housing... for transportation and for certain medical attention... you will have to pay out of pocket.
Today ICE is making sweeps to arrest illegal immigrants. The thing is... wherever they swoop down... they will drag not only their target... but everyone else around to check their status ...then off to the overcrowded detention centers.
Continued...actually...I did not even know I posted the above!

The fear I see while doing my rounds is alarming. People are soooo az fraid of ICE.... they been opening their doors for me at first knock...but now I have to convince them that I am who Insaid I am. If someone wants to host you.... their fear would be what if ICE raids and have them hauled in for harbouring an illegal? The situation is tense here. I know it is worse in other States where the residents are generally supportive of kicking out illegals. It is not surprising that we no longer hear much from those who always advise to stay away from Black areas... settle in White areas. Since Trump.... those people have been silent.
All the above... is just about fear.... fear because one is not legal.

It's a pity that those who are stuck here ... trapped... do not share their experiences... nor tell others of their pitfalls. Somehow... I have the feeling that misery loves company.

On vacation I'm not....status changed. For me.... to begin with... I was pressured to come by family members resident here. Feeding...clothing... housing... all transportation.... going to interviews... etc..... I had tremendous support. ...but that was my circumstances ...I didn't even have to look... my landing was well prepared.... all I needed to do was leap. What is your circumstances?...is your landing prepared? That's what this is all about.
My advice to anyone...visit first... before making a decision. You will see things from a wider perspective ... and be in a position to make good decisions.

Can I have your permission to repost this elsewhere as well as on FB ?
Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (25) (Reply)

To All Japa Gang. It's Not Easy Anywhere (pics) / 30 Creepiest Places On Earth You Didn't Know Exist / Last Moment Of Chika Ernest, The Pilot Of Helicopter That Crashed In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.