Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,314 members, 7,954,260 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:37 PM

Missing Catalytic Converters - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Missing Catalytic Converters (1519 Views)

Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car / Let's Discuss Catalyst Or Car Catalytic Converters! / Car Guzzling Fuel? You Might Need Replacing Your Car Catalytic Converter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Missing Catalytic Converters by Hotspotaccess: 7:02am On Jul 15, 2019
Good day house. I have a friend who imported some cars from Canada. Unfortunately two of the vehicles (a Tundra and a Rav4) had their catalytic converters stolen at the ports before shipping.

Please must we replace the catalytic converters or can we just fabricate pipes in the missing positions to link the exhaust pipe.

I read that the catalytic converters are for reduction of emission gasses. I don't know if they also help to save fuel or have other advantages.

Please car gurus should come to my aid.
Re: Missing Catalytic Converters by DelTel(m): 7:26am On Jul 15, 2019
Hotspotaccess:
Good day house. I have a friend who imported some cars from Canada. Unfortunately two of the vehicles (a Tundra and a Rav4) had their catalytic converters stolen at the ports before shipping.

Sorry for the loss.
However, the bolded statement is quite shocking (and unbelievable). Pilfering ain't norm at foreign ports but I can't say that for naija.

Were the vehicles containerized or RoRo?
Can you confirm if the welding around it are fresh or not?

More questions would come up after answering both above.

Car repair guru - Gazzuzz, radauto, nurey etc will provide answers to you.
Re: Missing Catalytic Converters by autofixng: 7:27am On Jul 15, 2019
The best option is to replace it. Don't fabricate pipe. Thou it may be expensive.
Re: Missing Catalytic Converters by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:31am On Jul 15, 2019
Hotspotaccess:

Please must we replace the catalytic converters or can we just fabricate pipes in the missing positions to link the exhaust pipe.

I read that the catalytic converters are for reduction of emission gasses. I don't know if they also help to save fuel or have other advantages.

Please car gurus should come to my aid.

They no longer steal catalysts in the port. If the mileage of the cars are in the region of 200k, the most likely burnt out (they don't last forever)
Re: Missing Catalytic Converters by Hotspotaccess: 8:11am On Jul 15, 2019
DelTel:

Sorry for the loss.
However, the bolded statement is quite shocking (and unbelievable). Pilfering ain't norm at foreign ports but I can't say that for naija.

Were the vehicles containerized or RoRo?
Can you confirm if the welding around it are fresh or not?

More questions would come up after answering both above.

Car repair guru - Gazzuzz, radauto, nurey etc will provide answers to you.

Thank you boss. Yes its shocking that such could happen in Canada of all places. I was told it's some blacks and Indians that do that cos the place is like a warehouse where vehicles are parked before they are moved to port for shipping.

He shipped the vehicles in a container. The catalytic converters were cut with an implement like a saw. It was done neatly. They cut the exhaust pipes from both ends
Re: Missing Catalytic Converters by Hotspotaccess: 8:12am On Jul 15, 2019
autofixng:
The best option is to replace it. Don't fabricate pipe. Thou it may be expensive.

Sir does it have any side effect on the vehicle if a pipe is fabricated on it?
Re: Missing Catalytic Converters by Hotspotaccess: 8:13am On Jul 15, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

They no longer steal catalysts in the port. If the mileage of the cars are in the region of 200k, the most likely burnt out (they don't last forever)

The Rav4 is pretty new with mileage just above 100k but the tundra has well over 200k.

Any idea how much the catalytic converters cost?
Re: Missing Catalytic Converters by homeboy205: 9:28am On Jul 15, 2019
Just buy another one put, it burnt out like gazzuzz said

Hotspotaccess:

The Rav4 is pretty new with mileage just above 100k but the tundra has well over 200k.

Any idea how much the catalytic converters cost?
Re: Missing Catalytic Converters by DelTel(m): 12:07pm On Jul 15, 2019
Hotspotaccess:

Thank you boss. Yes its shocking that such could happen in Canada of all places. I was told it's some blacks and Indians that do that cos the place is like a warehouse where vehicles are parked before they are moved to port for shipping.

He shipped the vehicles in a container. The catalytic converters were cut with an implement like a saw. It was done neatly. They cut the exhaust pipes from both ends

I get the drift now, only way to curb is to use reliable shipper who won't park cars arbitrarily but in a paid storage facility before loading the container.

It happens in USA too for RoRo, another reason to use reliable shipper that won't park vehicles at storage but straight to port from wherever vehicle is purchased.

The culprits know the vehicles are heading out of Canada. Also these stolen catalyst converters and other items are shipped to Lagos (more often also in containers bringing in the vehicles).
Re: Missing Catalytic Converters by Hotspotaccess: 6:58pm On Jul 15, 2019
DelTel:

I get the drift now, only way to curb is to use reliable shipper who won't park cars arbitrarily but in a paid storage facility before loading the container.

It happens in USA too for RoRo, another reason to use reliable shipper that won't park vehicles at storage but straight to port from wherever vehicle is purchased.

The culprits know the vehicles are heading out of Canada. Also these stolen catalyst converters and other items are shipped to Lagos (more often also in containers bringing in the vehicles).

It is so disappointing that these stolen parts can be bought in the open markets in Nigeria.

Any idea of how much it cost?

(1) (Reply)

1998 Toyota Camry V6 And 2001 Honda Accord 4 Plugs - Which Will U Choose? / Has My Tires Expired **** Sad / Camry 2.2 For Sale 700k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.