Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,991 members, 7,821,456 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA (14861 Views)

"Thousands Of Doctors Could Be Considering Leaving The UK" - GMC / Mass Resignation Of Doctors In Ondo Over Unpaid Wages / A Nigerian Family Of Doctors Based In The US (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by Kingkun69(m): 8:25am On Jul 19, 2019
ABOUTERICA:
What about 98% unemployed engineers .. and u are there complaining . Just 40% and u are crying ...
i see your a fool right
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by joshepade(m): 8:28am On Jul 19, 2019
As a matter of fact, it's more than 40%, around 60%, and about 30% not gainfully employed.
Plenty Doctors walk aimlessly on nigeria streets, I know of one that didn't see a place for his residency, he is working with a private hospital, earning 40k as salary.
Many are now emergency 'entrepreneurs'.
Nothing works in Nigeria, absolutely nothing!
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by RichBoy247: 8:29am On Jul 19, 2019
Deenjaris:

No wonder,people are dying easily in your family.

My grandma died at 118. WIll anyone in your family live to half that age?
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by Kingkun69(m): 8:31am On Jul 19, 2019
RichBoy247:

Not a whole doctor. It's half doctor. Doctors are professionals just like bankers, engineers, lawyers, e.t.c. The work they do that makes them think they are helping God to maintain the humans the HE created is also being done by secondary school drop outs who are trained by auxiliary nurses in the neighbourhoods.
oga stop playing down the importance of doctors in our community they are very important I am not one but they are the top most important jobs in society behind teachers(GOOD teachers) just because you couldn't get into medical school doesn't mean it's a profession like selling biscuit

3 Likes

Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by mediclife1987(m): 8:31am On Jul 19, 2019
mknigeriagreat:
Not really. Most of them feels they should be the highest paid in the nigerian market and because of the high number of them, demand is lower than supply so when they are offered a job with a payment an accountant will jump at, they walk away. That said.

Click on my signature or profile for the sale of this Foreign used beautiful machine. Peugeot 407 EW12 engine 6 gears. Car runs on 6.5litres for every 100km. Friday bonus.... bring a buyer and get a huge weekend share...

Isn't it better doctors in Nigeria should just jump at any offer an Accountant will jump at? Let the market be decentralized and they shouldn't be any pay disparity at all. An account should jump at what's offered a Secondary School Cert. Holder possibly a gate man, or receive what a Secondary school teacher earns and everyone should just accept what is given them. Let us just dabaru the whole aspect of salary grade level and let's see how that'll turn out.
You want to tell me if I offer you 15k/month to work as an accountant, you go collect am ba? But a doctor must never demand his worth, simply because an Accountant will jump at the offer.
You too should never reject any ridiculous offer, since another category of people will jump at the offer na...

2 Likes

Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by mediclife1987(m): 8:35am On Jul 19, 2019
Jayloy:

Placement for internship as always been this way only that it wasn't this bad. The unemployment he's referring to is post nysc employment and not internship.

Internship placement hasn't always been this way, it has actually turned worst sef...

In my time, most hospitals in the North conduct interview today and everyone starts tomorrow, not minding your score sef. The north always picked everyone. South still had some politics & merits but they also pick most docs too.

Now people are even doing internship for free sef, to keep their licence from expiring...
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by mediclife1987(m): 8:37am On Jul 19, 2019
RichBoy247:

Not a whole doctor. It's half doctor. Doctors are professionals just like bankers, engineers, lawyers, e.t.c. The work they do that makes them think they are helping God to maintain the humans the HE created is also being done by secondary school drop outs who are trained by auxiliary nurses in the neighbourhoods.

Then why continuing to see such proud & haughty sets of professionals, when you can go meet school dropouts that'll charge less & possible do better than the docs?
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by mknigeriagreat: 8:39am On Jul 19, 2019
mediclife1987:

Isn't it better doctors in Nigeria should just jump at any offer an Accountant will jump at? Let the market be decentralized and they shouldn't be any pay disparity at all. An account should jump at what's offered a Secondary School Cert. Holder possibly a gate man, or receive what a Secondary school teacher earns and everyone should just accept what is given them. Let us just dabaru the whole aspect of salary grade level and let's see how that'll turn out.
You want to tell me if I offer you 15k/month to work as an accountant, you go collect am ba? But a doctor must never demand his worth, simply because an Accountant will jump at the offer.
You too should never reject any ridiculous offer, since another category of people will jump at the offer na...

You got me all wrong. Forget all this news of all doctors are travelling out of the country. Go to NYSC camps and take a statistics of doctor graduates it is alarming. The number is way more than opportunities available one of the reasons why they are offered peanuts as salary. You know how monopoly works but when it is flooded, value drops. Even those in teaching hospitals how much are they paid now and are they even getting their full salaries as at when due? Those are factors you consider. When 20 doctors are desperately applying for a job in a private hospital, don't you know the the management will take advantage of it and give the job to the lowest bidder among them. It happens in all depts.
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by ABOUTERICA(m): 8:47am On Jul 19, 2019
Kingkun69:
i see your a fool right
silent they say is the best answer for aaaaaaaaàaa
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by Nobody: 8:50am On Jul 19, 2019
The NMA is using a false research survey.
There are more doctors in some location than others.Some doctors would not want to work at some locations.
If really u are a good doctor,u shud get a job even if it's a private hospital. This is the effect of opening sub standard medical schools.
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by olutob(m): 8:50am On Jul 19, 2019
Just call: 08155139441

Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by jerflakes(m): 8:51am On Jul 19, 2019
ABOUTERICA:
What about 98% unemployed engineers .. and u are there complaining . Just 40% and u are crying ...

Engineers should be self employed

4 Likes

Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by andiye: 8:54am On Jul 19, 2019
they are most selfishnest profession that`s why
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by Jayloy: 8:54am On Jul 19, 2019
mediclife1987:

Internship placement hasn't always been this way, it has actually turned worst sef...

In my time, most hospitals in the North conduct interview today and everyone starts tomorrow, not minding your score sef. The north always picked everyone. South still had some politics & merits but they also pick most docs too.

Now people are even doing internship for free sef, to keep their licence from expiring...

I agree with you boss

1 Like

Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 19, 2019
Jayloy:
This is gross misinformation. He could have said 40% are underemployed but unemployed is a no no and a big lie. I have never seen a serious unemployed doctor in Nigeria except if he or she is picky about jobs, then salary or disadvantaged about locations if outside the cities i. e Lagos and Co. The reason why I might agree they are underemployed is because they are not being paid their worth in most private hospitals irrespective of the profit the hospital makes and the cause of this is still the doctors, they own the hospital.

You are very correct.
For me I'll say 10% are unemployed, 80% are underemployed.
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by augustab(f): 8:56am On Jul 19, 2019
alphaNomega:

A doctor in Cuba is paid $15 per month
thats what i was telling the guy
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by Kingkun69(m): 8:57am On Jul 19, 2019
ABOUTERICA:
silent they say is the best answer for aaaaaaaaàaa
you now blundered the comeback with absurd English articulation it has been proven you are entirely a fool
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by Damod88: 9:28am On Jul 19, 2019
augustab:
smh.. Are u aware dat cuba is a communist state ravaged with corruption. Nigeria is bad but dont talk aboút cuban doctors they are modern day slaves

Why are they modern day slaves? How much of Cuba history do you know? Despite the corruption in Cuba the country has been able to build understanding infrastructure that Nigeria can only dream of. Cuba is one the few countries with 100% literacy rate. The country also has one of the best health facilities of any developing countries. When their late leader was sick, the treatment was done in Cuba and not in America or Europe. Even Diego Maradona was treated in Cuba when he was sick. Cuba does not have oil and has been under American embargo for almost sixty years yet the country has understanding achievements that Nigeria does not have. Cuban leaders maybe corrupt but they do not siphon their country money to Europe and America.
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by augustab(f): 9:40am On Jul 19, 2019
Damod88:

Why are they modern day slaves? How much of Cuba history do you know? Despite the corruption in Cuba the country has been able to build understanding infrastructure that Nigeria can only dream of. Cuba is one the few countries with 100% literacy rate. The country also has one of the best health facilities of any developing countries. When their late leader was sick, the treatment was done in Cuba and not in America or Europe. Even Diego Maradona was treated in Cuba when he was sick. Cuba does not have oil and has been under American embargo for almost sixty years yet the country has understanding achievements that Nigeria does not have. Cuban leaders maybe corrupt but they do not siphon their country money to Europe and America.
sorry browse their pay.
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by Nobody: 9:43am On Jul 19, 2019
Unemployment everywhere..

Who is going to talk about percentage of unemployed Physiologist??
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by Ugosample(m): 10:01am On Jul 19, 2019
Jayslicky:
According to Chris Ngige we have more than enough doctors working, the rest should leave Nigeria if they want to, when in reality Nigeria doctors to patient ratio is 1 to 5000.

Nigeria has few hospitals, low annual budget your the health sector so doctors are not highly in demand.

it's a shame
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by mediclife1987(m): 10:18am On Jul 19, 2019
Deenjaris:

No wonder,people are dying easily in your family.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Correct response!!! cheesy
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by mediclife1987(m): 10:19am On Jul 19, 2019
pesinfada:
lol

No b everybody u see with telescope b certified doctor

Telescope
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by Ugosample(m): 10:26am On Jul 19, 2019
joshepade:
As a matter of fact, it's more than 40%, around 60%, and about 30% not gainfully employed.
Plenty Doctors walk aimlessly on nigeria streets, I know of one that didn't see a place for his residency, he is working with a private hospital, earning 40k as salary.
Many are now emergency 'entrepreneurs'.
Nothing works in Nigeria, absolutely nothing!

the country has collapsed totally

2 Likes

Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by Ugosample(m): 10:28am On Jul 19, 2019
Jaqenhghar:
Niggerian shothole logic 1. not enough doctors in facilities 2. Yet there are shitloads of doctors who are unemployed and 3. They should not migrate to countries where they will be employed
SMH
you don see am na

1 Like

Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by kitone: 10:32am On Jul 19, 2019
They are unemployed because one person is doing the work of 10 in other sane countries.sometimes the government officials collects money and claim they have 100 doctors in their hospitals while in reality only 20 are employed.they now share the money almost themselves . That's why corruption is Is destroying our country

gsegun43:

They are unemployed because we haven't ave too many - According to that former minister of labourer

1 Like

Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by mediclife1987(m): 10:33am On Jul 19, 2019
mknigeriagreat:

You got me all wrong. Forget all this news of all doctors are travelling out of the country. Go to NYSC camps and take a statistics of doctor graduates it is alarming. The number is way more than opportunities available one of the reasons why they are offered peanuts as salary. You know how monopoly works but when it is flooded, value drops. Even those in teaching hospitals how much are they paid now and are they even getting their full salaries as at when due? Those are factors you consider. When 20 doctors are desperately applying for a job in a private hospital, don't you know the the management will take advantage of it and give the job to the lowest bidder among them. It happens in all depts.

Where you expecting to see just 1doctor in camp? Most of those doctors are posted to places where they'll be the ONLY doctor servicing a while Local Government, yet you're there deceiving yourself of an aggregate nos of doctors in a camp. I currently work in Taraba state, there are some villages that don't even have a nurse, let alone doctors. Na random people dey wear ward coat, dey do doctor work. Infact where I was posted currently had no single doctor for 5years, the theatre attendant does all the surgeries, even for malaria sef, killing people anyhow but no one to put him in check.

My dear, if you decide to 4get about doctors leaving the country I really sorry for you oh. Cos right now, naina docs no even send if una send them. I finished 2011 and the crate for docs leaving the country wasn't as much as this, not until bad belle people begin downplay our importance. I had the opportunity to leave then, but didn't see the reason for it cos I was well paid. But right now, all those docs you're seeing in camp will be reduced by nothing less than 70% in 2years time, cos every doc in Naija don open eye! You might say fresh ones will still come, bit is that how you want your country's health sector to be? A situation where only young docs will remain in Nigeria is coming cos all those grey haired men you're all looking to are soon gonna die, and then our health sector will become like Arsenal FC under Wenger, whereby young inexperienced guys are recruited only to be scooped by better clubs b4 they even ripen up.

People are talking about Cuba, but I'm sure you know Cuba's health sector is nothing to write home about, cos ppl that are supposed to be nurtured to maturity to be of useful service to their country have been chased away with frustration, leaving inexperience docs who are also biding their time to run away to a serious nation.

If docs aren't so important why did the UK gov relax the Visa ban on health professionals only?

Nigerians will always like to bury their heads in the sand, hoping when they raise it up, everything will be just fine. Wake up and smell the coffee dear, it's not gonna happen!

5 Likes

Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by mediclife1987(m): 10:41am On Jul 19, 2019
kitone:
They are unemployed because one person is doing the work of 10 in other sane countries.sometimes the government officials collects money and claim they have 100 doctors in their hospitals while in reality only 20 are employed.they now share the money almost themselves . That's why corruption is Is destroying our country

Leave Nigerians to allow their politicians to continue fooling them. The other time one state Gov said on public TV that he pays his docs 600k, and family members not minding the cadre he was talking about started fighting with the docs in their family, saying they've been lying to them all the while. The thing almost caused divorce between spouses oh!
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by mknigeriagreat: 10:46am On Jul 19, 2019
mediclife1987:

Where you expecting to see just 1doctor in camp? Most of those doctors are posted to places where they'll be the ONLY doctor servicing a while Local Government, yet you're there deceiving yourself of an aggregate nos of doctors in a camp. I currently work in Taraba state, there are some villages that don't even have a nurse, let alone doctors. Na random people dey wear ward coat, dey do doctor work. Infact where I was posted currently had no single doctor for 5years, the theatre attendant does all the surgeries, even for malaria sef, killing people anyhow but no one to put him in check.

My dear, if you decide to 4get about doctors leaving the country I really sorry for you oh. Cos right now, naina docs no even send if una send them. I finished 2011 and the crate for docs leaving the country wasn't as much as this, not until bad belle people begin downplay our importance. I had the opportunity to leave then, but didn't see the reason for it cos I was well paid. But right now, all those docs you're seeing in camp will be reduced by nothing less than 70% in 2years time, cos every doc in Naija don open eye! You might say fresh ones will still come, bit is that how you want your country's health sector to be? A situation where only young docs will remain in Nigeria is coming cos all those grey haired men you're all looking to are soon gonna die, and then our health sector will become like Arsenal FC under Wenger, whereby young inexperienced guys are recruited only to be scooped by better clubs b4 they even ripen up.

People are talking about Cuba, but I'm sure you know Cuba's health sector is nothing to write home about, cos ppl that are supposed to be nurtured to maturity to be of useful service to their country have been chased away with frustration, leaving inexperience docs who are also biding their time to run away to a serious nation.

If docs aren't so important why did the UK gov relax the Visa ban on health professionals only?

Nigerians will always like to bury their heads in the sand, hoping when they raise it up, everything will be just fine. Wake up and smell the coffee dear, it's not gonna happen!

Mehn you don't even understand me a bit.

1. You finished in 2011. My question is how many doctors did all the nigerian universities produced in 2011 and how many are being produced now? If doctors are very scarce like you are saying then the demand for them should be on the very high side. Do you know how many universities we have now compared to 2011?

2. Another contributing factor to the massive inflow of doctors into the labour market is easy and fast way of becoming one in countries like Ukraine. Come to the Ukrainian/Russian embassies in Abuja and see a large number of youths dying to get visas. 98% of them are all going to study medicine and more than 70% of them will still come back into this country looking for jobs. YES more than 70%.

3. I am an engineer by training and profession but my wife is a doctor as well and I have an idea of what is going on within that medical system. People will always travel out but how many will be able to travel. Do you know how many of them are being denied visas on daily basis? I have relatives working in both the American embassy and British high commission.

If the number of doctors being pumped out decreases, then they can get better paid. But with the high number out their, forget it. IT is a simple logic within the labour market not only peculiar to the medical line.

If you still don't get me, then I am sorry I can't say more.

1 Like

Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by godwon01(m): 10:47am On Jul 19, 2019
Jayloy:
This is gross misinformation. He could have said 40% are underemployed but unemployed is a no no and a big lie. I have never seen a serious unemployed doctor in Nigeria except if he or she is picky about jobs, then salary or disadvantaged about locations if outside the cities i. e Lagos and Co. The reason why I might agree they are underemployed is because they are not being paid their worth in most private hospitals irrespective of the profit the hospital makes and the cause of this is still the doctors, they own the hospital.
Besides , private hospital is not as lucrative as it was used to be years back. A lot of people don't have money to attend hospital. Herbal medication has also taking over some of the Orthodox treatment's. Internet awareness is also there. If U are suffering from a common headache U just go straight to google and find the answer to the treatment. Aside, quackery is on the increase for cheaper treatment which make it difficult for people to patronize hospital own by doctors. Where is the money to pay them. Don't forget iya Mulika alagbo jedijedi, Alomo bitter, yoyo bitter and ESA ko pe. Paracetamol missed with chloroquine for malaria.

1 Like

Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by tosinosam(m): 10:52am On Jul 19, 2019
wizkidblogger:
they better port to other hustles else....
Other hustles It ain't easy as u say except if u're jokin. Other hustle? grin
Re: 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA by mediclife1987(m): 11:12am On Jul 19, 2019
mknigeriagreat:

Mehn you don't even understand me a bit.

1. You finished in 2011. My question is how many doctors did all the nigerian universities produced in 2011 and how many are being produced now? If doctors are very scarce like you are saying then the demand for them should be on the very high side. Do you know how many universities we have now compared to 2011?

2. Another contributing factor to the massive inflow of doctors into the labour market is easy and fast way of becoming one in countries like Ukraine. Come to the Ukrainian/Russian embassies in Abuja and see a large number of youths dying to get visas. 98% of them are all going to study medicine and more than 70% of them will still come back into this country looking for jobs. YES more than 70%.

3. I am an engineer by training and profession but my wife is a doctor as well and I have an idea of what is going on within that medical system. People will always travel out but how many will be able to travel. Do you know how many of them are being denied visas on daily basis? I have relatives working in both the American embassy and British high commission.

If the number of doctors being pumped out decreases, then they can get better paid. But with the high number out their, forget it. IT is a simple logic within the labour market not only peculiar to the medical line.

If you still don't get me, then I am sorry I can't say more.

My set finished with 232 docs in 2011, of all the nos of universities being opened how many have a licence to offer Medicine as a course? Even the mighty Uniben once had their licence withdrawn and you're talking about new universities. Even Unis like Igbinedion & Babcock go out affiliate teaching hospitals to teach their students. The minister has received you into thinking we have much doctors, but what we really have is a reduction in the nos of doctors being employed. In my time as a House Officer, we had 1s, 2nd & even 3rd batch occasionally with a total nos of about 300docs being enrolled for Internship, now most hospitals barely employ 50 for such positions, does that mean we have surplus doctors Even with the influx of docs going to Ukraine to study, how many of them are getting licences to practice in Nigeria? Ask your wife of the nos of them that pass. The last time, there was an uproar cos only about 30% of them passed the licensing exams in Nigeria. If I'm in a interview filled with Ukraine trained docs, I'll be jumping on my feet, cos I know I'll floor them easily. Your gov is trying to fool you into thinking there are surplus docs but now you have a doc doing the job of 10.

My dear I'm not trying to convince you so as not to appear self serving cos I really don't need your acceptance of my speech. The fact right now is even if the Gov raise our salaries to #1million/month, I assure you docs will still run away, cos we've never had it this bad b4. We've never had this amount of brazen hatred b4. Docs are now like an endangered specie here.

About docs not having the wherewithal to travel out, that's a blatant lie, if it were so, the nos of people writing PLAB wont have tripled in the last 2years. About docs not getting VISAs, there are docs that don't write their applications properly, I know of some of them. There's even a very popular Indian with a blog concerning docs that want to leave the shores of the country, he also applied and failed but he was given at the 2nd time. There's no doc I know that has been denied Visa twice. Not even now that I told you already that Visa stress has been relaxed for us by the former prime minister.

The reason why we are still shouting with people is the love for our country. I was earning 245k in 2014, but now I only earn 150k due to gimmicks the government has created called scarcity of jobs. The surplus you are referring to is very artificial and bogus. Infact most private hospitals now train school dropouts and put them on night duty to pose as doctors, hence creating the unemployment, not as if the no of Medical graduates has created or somerhing.

In my time, the no of docs leaving where fewer compared to those being churned out, now it has equaled, but I trust Nigerians, we always like to call others bluff, we'll wait till the nos of those leaving surpasses those being churned out b4 we do something about it.

Go to mist FMCs they're looking badly for resident doctors, even a Consultant told me very soon there'll be no more resident docs cos even those in the system are running away. LUTH CMD was furious around last year cos ALL the newly employed residents in a particular dept had absconded, leaving them to go through the stress of employing new ones who'll also run away after 6months of employment cheesy

I guess you like that pattern...

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Importance Of Kandikrush Herbal Capsule and Where To Buy / Lagos State Begins Mass Fumigation Of Public Places Against LASSA Fever (list) / Weird; Man Invents Pill To Make Farts Smell Like Chocolate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.