Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,771 members, 7,827,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval (20507 Views)

Airtel Nigeria Files Application For Listing On NSE / Akin Alabi: My Mum's Driver Thought I Was A Yahoo Boy - Nairabet CEO / Ibeto Cement Firm Set For Listing In US Stock Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by Amarachi1990: 12:15pm On Jul 19, 2019
Businessman/Politician, Akin Alabi has called out Jumia Nigeria for listing his book for sale on their platform without his approval.

Taking to his Twitter page, he wrote: 'Dear @JumiaNigeria. What’s your mode of operation like? I can’t remember listing my book on your platform.'

See more here https://thickmatch.com/akin-alabi-calls-jumia-nigeria-listing-book-sale-platform-without-approval/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by Lawalatm: 12:22pm On Jul 19, 2019
He should be happy.....otherwise pay Jumia for free marketing and advertisement cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by mrtomola(m): 12:36pm On Jul 19, 2019
Lawalatm:
He should be happy.....otherwise pay Jumia for free marketing and advertisement cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

That book is one of the best selling books currently. A copy is sold for 5k. If Jumia claims they are online shopping mall then who supplies them the book if not Akin Alabi.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by Customer80: 12:58pm On Jul 19, 2019
Someone who bought the book in large quantity is reselling it, as a former jumia vendor I know

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by Customer80: 1:00pm On Jul 19, 2019
Customer80:
Someone who bought the book in large quantity is reselling it, as a former jumia vendor I know
I think alibi is ignorant of the fact that jumia doesn't sell anything rather individuals like me are the one's selling on the platform

76 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by Lawalatm: 1:10pm On Jul 19, 2019
That's not his accusation.... I guess Jumia chose to deal directly with authorized sub-suppliers instead of the author.....As long as there is no case of piracy, anyone including Jumia reserves the right to choose who they buy from or sell to...………..just my thought process. undecided undecided undecided undecided

mrtomola:

That book is one of the best selling books currently. A copy is sold for 5k. If Jumia claims they are online shopping mall then who supplies them the book if not Akin Alabi.

38 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by partnerbizz5(f): 3:44pm On Jul 19, 2019
What if sb bought from Akin and is now reselling.

But the price is suspicious...

4 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by iTearHerToto: 3:44pm On Jul 19, 2019
Afonja forgot when he sold dozens of books to a client? cheesy
Why are these people like this

Pukesangry

1 Like

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by ikorodureporta: 3:44pm On Jul 19, 2019
I just dey hear abt d book. Good publicity strategy

10 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by mytime24(f): 3:44pm On Jul 19, 2019
U no won sell Ur market
Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by Neddstark: 3:45pm On Jul 19, 2019
Shut up. You should be happy Jumia is making your book popular. A bookseller who has an account with Jumia listed the book for sale

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by Acidosis(m): 3:45pm On Jul 19, 2019
Always sounding very ignorant.

7 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by columbus007(m): 3:45pm On Jul 19, 2019
Which kind rubbish nook sef,and who have that time to sit down and be reading your junk undecided
Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by shogsman(m): 3:46pm On Jul 19, 2019
Thanks to jumia,I now know he wrote a book.

8 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by nextstep(m): 3:47pm On Jul 19, 2019
Sigh... people, including Mr. Alabi don't seem to understand the concept of "online mall, with 10,000 vendors".

To wit (from Wikipedia, which is also consistent with what I've read elsewhere):

"Jumia is an e-commerce platform for electronics, fashion, and more. The platform consists of a marketplace, which connects sellers with consumers; a logistics service, which enables the shipment and delivery of packages from sellers to consumers; and a payment service, which facilitates transactions among participants active and Jumia's platform in selected markets."

Which means any vendor who wants to sell their products on Jumia is able to without Jumia having to license or even have initial possession of such material in stock. They offer logistics to pick up from seller, then deliver. The same is true of Amazon and (was?) of Konga.

Oh, and the book, I've read it. It was OK and mildly entertaining, but mostly self-aggrandizing, with not a single lesson learned.

Since I know that the guy is smart, I'm sure he already knows, so I imagine this is a good way to invite traffic and free promotion for his book.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 19, 2019
Set an example with them by Sueing the hell out of them and recover every dime they must have made through previous sales.
Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by Aidejay(m): 3:51pm On Jul 19, 2019
Piracy is evil
If d dude hasn't commissioned the book for a retailer using the jumia platform it means somebody has pirated this material and is using jumia as a tool to sell fakes
Modified: also if such arrangement has not been reached this can become an avenue for thieves seeking avenues to rip people off

3 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by sonnie10: 3:53pm On Jul 19, 2019
The question should be, are the books pirates?
Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by nextstep(m): 3:54pm On Jul 19, 2019
Aidejay:
Piracy is evil
If d dude hasn't commissioned the book for a retailer using the jumia platform it means somebody has pirated this material and is using jumia as a tool to sell fakes

Not necessarily. The scenario is: a small retailer bought 10-20 copies of the book from the publisher/distributer. Then they have many means of selling the book: in their own physical store, at an online marketplace, or even at car-park.

8 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by ednut1(m): 3:54pm On Jul 19, 2019
They also sell fake jersies on their site . If i be lawyer i for just hola the clubs lets sue them
Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by holuphisayor(m): 3:54pm On Jul 19, 2019
Just like Lenovo calling out eBay on twitter. 'hey, eBay. I didn't remember listing my PC on your platform'

Alabi, why are you like this na. grin

14 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by Delson25: 3:59pm On Jul 19, 2019
Don't mind the man he knows what is doing because by saying this is another marketing strategy to make the book known to the world.

7 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by DIKEnaWAR: 4:03pm On Jul 19, 2019
He should give the books away as constituency project. Not that Nigerian youths will read anyways. They prefer dash to learning and earning.

2 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by pcicero(m): 4:06pm On Jul 19, 2019
Akin doesn't know it all after all or maybe a deliberate ploy to market the book.

3 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by emmykk(m): 4:08pm On Jul 19, 2019
Akin just ask that question to make his book sell more,anything other than that shows that he is very ignorance of how online ecommerce work

2 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by Lexusgs430: 4:16pm On Jul 19, 2019
Good marketing strategy for him...... What he should do afterwards, is buy a copy to confirm authenticity..... If genuine, let the 3rd party seller go on soun.......

3 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by Jobminister: 4:18pm On Jul 19, 2019
emmykk:
Akin just ask that question to make his book sell more,anything other than that shows that he is very ignorance of how online ecommerce work

@thesecondbold is not necessary because you and I knows that as a young and wise business man/politician like Akin knows how ecommerce business operate.

You have already made a valid point in the first bold statement which stands to be right.

He has a good marketing/publicity strategy.

2 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by justmi1: 4:18pm On Jul 19, 2019
I see most people here don't understand business and copyright and also publicity.
I got a copy of the book recently and you can't get the book anywhere less than 4,500 and I don't think the author is selling to distributors less than 3,000. So how would someone sell at 2,850.
The author can't say he is not aware his book is on jumia, just that the price got to him and he is contemplating a probable piracy.
If someone is pirating his work, he won't make money cos no one would buy the real book for 5k again.
So, he is simply protecting his work and by extension marketing as more people now know about the book.

5 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by justmi1: 4:22pm On Jul 19, 2019
Jobminister:

@thesecondbold is not necessary because you and I knows that as a young and wise business man/politician like Akin knows how ecommerce business operate.

You have already made a valid point in the first bold statement which stands to be right.

He has a good marketing/publicity strategy.
Good publicity ?yes, mere question? No
That's a strong "allegation" against a big online store, and that must be done with proper facts.
Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by Kendumazy(m): 4:29pm On Jul 19, 2019
Marketing strategy 101.

Beautiful India Kurtis gown JOINT GROUP IMPORTATION. CHECK my signature below for more details.
Re: Akin Alabi Calls Out Jumia For Listing His Book For Sale Without His Approval by AgreatMan: 4:32pm On Jul 19, 2019
nextstep:
Sigh... people, including Mr. Alabi don't seem to understand the concept of "online mall, with 10,000 vendors".

To wit (from Wikipedia, which is also consistent with what I've read elsewhere):

"Jumia is an e-commerce platform for electronics, fashion, and more. The platform consists of a marketplace, which connects sellers with consumers; a logistics service, which enables the shipment and delivery of packages from sellers to consumers; and a payment service, which facilitates transactions among participants active and Jumia's platform in selected markets."

Which means any vendor who wants to sell their products on Jumia is able to without Jumia having to license or even have initial possession of such material in stock. They offer logistics to pick up from seller, then deliver. The same is true of Amazon and (was?) of Konga.

Oh, and the book, I've read it. It was OK and mildly entertaining, but mostly self-aggrandizing, with not a single lesson learned.

Since I know that the guy is smart, I'm sure he already knows, so I imagine this is a good way to invite traffic and free promotion for his book.

cheesy thanks for the quick summary boss. No need for me to read am

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dangote Refinery To Cut Ghana’s Fuel Imports And Reduce Pump Price / Buy At Alaba International Wholesale Price / These 7 Freelancing Skills Can Make You A Millionaire On Fiverr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.