Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? (20414 Views)

Members Of 1994 Eagles Receive Houses In Abuja (Photos). / Members Of 1994 Super Eagles Receive Houses In Owerri (Photos) / 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by worldclass68(m): 11:52am On Jul 20, 2019
sayisayi:
Ok. It is our singular greatest export globally. In Abidjan, was shopping in Adjame market in 2011, they refused to let me leave after buying goods before they went through their favourite ballers....

2006 in Salvador, Brasil for carnival, at one olodum jam, one guy held my shoulder and almost cried while relating our 90's Olympic win.

Wait, once upriver in Gambia, I was buying fish, these diligent, young girls were hammering mandinka well, well before one shouted... Chineke. I asked her how she knew that word...she said nollywood..

Entertainment rules!

lolzzzz u be AJALA travel all over the world..
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Saheed9: 11:56am On Jul 20, 2019
Jarus:
Footballers, especially 1994-98 set, appear to be Nigeria's biggest ambassadors to the world. Well, maybe apart from 419.

From personal and friends' experience, when you introduce yourself as a Nigerian to most foreigners, the first thing they ask you about are Okocha, Kanu etc.

My Irish-Algerian seat mate couldn't stop talking about Rashidi Yekini and Amokachi on learning I'm a Nigerian, on the 3 hour Istanbul-Madinah flight in 2016.

An Egyptian friend in Saudi Arabia couldn't stop talking about Okocha's football wizardry. I have also met several Egy;tian friends in Dubai and once they know me as a Nigerian, they start asking about Okocha, Rashidi etc, Many other past experiences.

A generation of footballers Nigerian hardly even remember again.

When I posted the above on my Facebook wall, some of my friends shared similar experiences as reproduced below:

Have you experienced similar thing? Share your experience of foreigners taking highly of Nigerian footballers of 1994-1998 set.

Jarus, where have you been ?
Miss your detailed analysis of the super eagles mtches those years u bro

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Ahmeduana(m): 11:57am On Jul 20, 2019
I experience such moment in Saudi Arabia in 2009, we que to buy pizza in ARAHMI mecca, the person ahead of me has already paid he now shifted aside to collect his purchase from the counter while I shifted into his position, but unlucky of him as he stretched his hand to recieve the pizza, his hand Missed the collection while the pizza descending in freefall style, I just stretch my right leg in a ball juggling position in a reflex and the pizza carton landed on my leg without fallen apart, the first word that came from the white guy is which country are you from? I said Nigeria everybody start shouting Okchocha, Rashid Yekini, my head start getting bigger than my should!!!

9 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by blowjohn(m): 11:59am On Jul 20, 2019
sayisayi:
By the way, the level of international footballers in the mid 90s was far higher than today. Those Brazil and Italy teams would wipe the floor with the past 3 teams that won the world cup. The Nigeria, Bulgaria, Romania teams of then would be world champions now.

Check the Brazil team of 94 and compare it with their Copa America winning team now. LOL. Mauro Silva would bodycheck Neymar back to his nursery class.

Wrong bro.
They can't beat this present Portugal team, or German team or even the Croatia team.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by lexy2014: 12:03pm On Jul 20, 2019
Lamasta:

That is the failure of our government to provide security for lives and property

Yes it is but on d other hand, if Siasia was seen as a hero by d Bayelsa people just d way foreigners c him& his colleagues of '94, then they won't kidnap his mother. If he was seen as a national treasure by d Bayelsa people, even kidnappers will fight to prevent any danger coming to his mother

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by lexy2014: 12:07pm On Jul 20, 2019
alfredilly:
He wasn't part of the generation highlighted here so don't bring him in.

Am not saying he is. Am only correcting ur assertion that because he wasn't in d '94 generation, then he wasn't a good goalkeeper hence ur mentioning Peter Rufai& his exploits @ d '94 world cup. Have u forgotten what happened to Rufai in '98? If Enyeama was in d '94 set, am sure he equally would have had his name written in gold also.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jul 20, 2019
godwon01:
Those words were too harsh. He may have good intention. It is not all of them that are scammers. He is only begging .
let him go and work
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by ffo(m): 12:52pm On Jul 20, 2019
I once had a Skype interview with an Amsterdam guy, when I mentioned I'm a Nigerian, he said he likes KANU when he was playing for PSG.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by simpleswazy(m): 12:53pm On Jul 20, 2019
Jarus:
Footballers, especially 1994-98 set, appear to be Nigeria's biggest ambassadors to the world. Well, maybe apart from 419.

From personal and friends' experience, when you introduce yourself as a Nigerian to most foreigners, the first thing they ask you about are Okocha, Kanu etc.

My Irish-Algerian seat mate couldn't stop talking about Rashidi Yekini and Amokachi on learning I'm a Nigerian, on the 3 hour Istanbul-Madinah flight in 2016.

An Egyptian friend in Saudi Arabia couldn't stop talking about Okocha's football wizardry. I have also met several Egy;tian friends in Dubai and once they know me as a Nigerian, they start asking about Okocha, Rashidi etc, Many other past experiences.

A generation of footballers Nigerian hardly even remember again.

When I posted the above on my Facebook wall, some of my friends shared similar experiences as reproduced below:

Have you experienced similar thing? Share your experience of foreigners taking highly of Nigerian footballers of 1994-1998 set.

same here when i went to Egypt every egpytian I meet called me either kanu or okocha I was surprised they even ask for our naira..
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by okeniti: 12:57pm On Jul 20, 2019
You seem very well travelled, how many countries have you been to may I ask?

sayisayi:
Ok. It is our singular greatest export globally. In Abidjan, was shopping in Adjame market in 2011, they refused to let me leave after buying goods before they went through their favourite ballers....

2006 in Salvador, Brasil for carnival, at one olodum jam, one guy held my shoulder and almost cried while relating our 90's Olympic win.

Wait, once upriver in Gambia, I was buying fish, these diligent, young girls were hammering mandinka well, well before one shouted... Chineke. I asked her how she knew that word...she said nollywood..

Entertainment rules!
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by pauladonis(m): 12:57pm On Jul 20, 2019
There was one female tennis player that came to Nigeria just to see Okocha... She made headlines in all the major Nigerian newspapers around that 2005-07... She outright said she told her father she loved Okocha.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by olajizz01(m): 1:03pm On Jul 20, 2019
TheBeat:
Okocha
Kanu
Rashidi
Rufai
Amokachi
Ikpeba
Oliseh
West
Finidi
Amunike
Uche Okechukwu
You just mention great men of super eagles,not like the crop of useless players we have in our team now aday,imaging a team jittering on pitch whenever they met even Africa small country like Burundi, I could recalled when we played Spain in France 98,those guys you just mention never fear any team throughout the world during their time,it always be the other way round rather.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 20, 2019
wwwmaster:
Funny post.
Yekini cannot be a better brand than Taribo West that was a very strong man in Milan defence, Ikpeba the Prince of Monaco. Kanu Nwankwo is an Arsenal Legend, won champions league with Ajax and also played for Inter.

Amuneke is much better player than Amokachi but he was plagued with injury.

We are talking experience, what we saw, you are talking from your head.

Ikpeba was not a success in national team.

Pick a random football follower on the street of Cairo or Tunis or Harare, and ask them to name Nigerian footballers, they will mention Okocha, Amokachi, Yekini. That is the point.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by baarak66(m): 1:22pm On Jul 20, 2019
I happened to perform my pilgrimage in makkah last year. After concluding the hajj exercise, while still waiting to come back to Nigeria. I joined one early morning Qur'an class with one of the scholars in the Mosque. Since I can speak Arabic language to some extent, it's not something difficult for me to interact.
Meeting with the scholar and introducing myself to him that I'm a Nigerian. The first thing he asked me was.

Do you know Rashid Yekeen.?
He is very good and amazing with football.
I was like.... Rashid Yekeen. .. I never saw that coming.
I just told him I know him.
But actually forgot the country he's from.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by cooljoe(m): 1:22pm On Jul 20, 2019
They were once ranked 4th in the FIFA rankings. That tells u all u need to know.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 20, 2019
ffo:
I once had a Skype interview with an Amsterdam guy, when I mentioned I'm a Nigerian, he said he likes KANU when he was playing for PSG.

For Ajax
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 20, 2019
baarak66:
I happened to perform my pilgrimage in makkah last year. After concluding the hajj exercise, while still waiting to come back to Nigeria. I joined one early morning Qur'an class with one of the scholars in the Mosque. Since I can speak Arabic language to some extent, it's not something difficult for me to interact.
Meeting with the scholar and introducing myself to him that I'm a Nigerian. The first thing he asked me was.

Do you know Rashid Yekeen.?
He is very good and amazing with football.
I was like.... Rashid Yekeen. .. I never saw that coming.
I just told him I know him.
But actually forgot the country he's from.

Similar experience I had in Saudi Arabia 3 years ago.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by sircrabo: 1:49pm On Jul 20, 2019
Looking at their lineup, those men were Old sha. way above 24.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by ffo(m): 2:17pm On Jul 20, 2019
Jarus:

For Ajax
Thanks for the correction. Ajax
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Preciousgirl(f): 2:21pm On Jul 20, 2019
Ivory coast rocks

Fuel Tiehi
Ibrahim camara
Haruna Dindane
Alaine Guqmehn
Didier Drogba
Sheik Tiotte
Emmanuel Eboue
Kolo Toure
Yaya Toure
Jervais Yao Koassi Gervinho
Nicholas Pepe
Serge Aurier
Kader Keita
Arouna Kone
Max Alain Gradel
Didier Zokora
Serey Die
Wilfred Zaha

Pure class
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by MakyavelitheDon(m): 2:25pm On Jul 20, 2019
ahnie:
A prophet z never honoured in his country.....
Glad foreigners acknowledges them for their skills.

I remember players like Pius ikedia,Sunday oliseh,Wilson orumah,Garba lawal, Emmanuel amunike,taribo west,Victor ikpeba,Samson siasia,rashidi yekini.

Meanwhile rashidi yekini died a miserable death with grasses,and rodents having convocation in his grave bed.His aged mother z roaming about with no shelter.

No edifices of our past footballers erected..but once they die..you would see government outdoing themselves to sponsor dia funerals and after then ditched their families.

I hate to say....we not dey ever value wetin we get.

This old man�
Why u come dey claim female as ur gender na?
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 20, 2019
Preciousgirl:
Ivory coast rocks

Fuel Tiehi
Ibrahim camara
Haruna Dindane
Alaine Guqmehn
Didier Drogba
Sheik Tiotte
Emmanuel Eboue
Kolo Toure
Yaya Toure
Jervais Yao Koassi Gervinho
Nicholas Pepe
Serge Aurier
Kader Keita
Arouna Kone
Max Alain Gradel
Didier Zokora
Serey Die
Wilfred Zaha

Pure class

This generation did not win AFCON until the big guys retired.

By the way, you forgot Saloman Kalou and Bonaventure Kalou.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Preciousgirl(f): 2:39pm On Jul 20, 2019
Jarus:

This generation did not win AFCON until the big guys retired.

By the way, you forgot Saloman Kalou and Bonaventure Kalou.

Yahaya toure, die, Gradel, gervinho etc were all part of the 2015 squad
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by ahnie: 2:59pm On Jul 20, 2019
Oga...am a mother of 2 kids.

Many thanks!

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by ahnie: 3:00pm On Jul 20, 2019
MakyavelitheDon:

This old man�
Why u come dey claim female as ur gender na?
Oga am a mother of two kids.

Many thanks!
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 20, 2019
Preciousgirl:

Yahaya toure, die, Gradel, gervinho etc were all part of the 2015 squad

Yes, but Drogba, Kader Keita, Arouna Dindane, Aroune Kone etc had all left.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by salford1: 3:08pm On Jul 20, 2019
TheBeat:
Okocha
Kanu
Rashidi
Rufai
Amokachi
Ikpeba
Oliseh
West
Finidi
Amunike
Uche Okechukwu
Kanu and Ikpeba were not part of the generation you listed. They were U-17 in 1993. Orunma was also the star of the U-17 back then not Kanu. Kanu started rising in 1996.
Okocha was probably the youngest player and was mostly used as a substitute in the 94 squad.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by ceejay80s(m): 3:19pm On Jul 20, 2019
When naija tldey wear polo T-shirt instead of Jersey
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by wwwmaster: 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2019
Jarus:

We are talking experience, what we saw, you are talking from your head.

Ikpeba was not a success in national team.

Pick a random football follower on the street of Cairo or Tunis or Harare, and ask them to name Nigerian footballers, they will mention Okocha, Amokachi, Yekini. That is the point.
Amokachi and Yekini cannot be half as popular as Ikpeba in Europe for goodness sake.
Yekini was cast away for Olympiacos ffs and he is not even more successful than Ikpeba for national team.
He won African footballer of the year once and so was Ikpeba.
I really hate arguing with some confused people.
Monaco most successful team had Ikpeba on it, you are comparing footballer popularity in Tunisia to Europe?
While Yekini is being told to walk in mediocre Olympiacos team Ikpeba was the rex of Monaco.
Yekini was popular in Tunisia because of his performance in a tournament hosted there in 1994.

Go to Europe and mention Yekini let's see if anyone knows what you mean.

Amokachi is a good player but talent wise Amuneke was mile ahead. Dude was so unlucky with Injuries.
Could have been succeful in Barcelona if not the injury plague.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by gannod(m): 4:22pm On Jul 20, 2019
salford1:

Kanu and Ikpeba were not part of the generation you listed. They were U-17 in 1993. Orunma was also the star of the U-17 back then not Kanu. Kanu started rising in 1996.
Okocha was probably the youngest player and was mostly used as a substitute in the 94 squad.

Ikpeba was a member of 1989 set of golden eaglet.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Edoblakky(m): 4:32pm On Jul 20, 2019
I met an Ethiopian driver at the George Washington intercontinental airport in Houston who kept on asking why I wasn't as big as Amokachi and Uche Okechukwu because I told him I am a Nigerian.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jarrell Miller Fails Second Drug Test, Fight With Anthony Joshua Off / Busquets Becomes Barcelona New Captain After Lionel Messi's Departure / Ashley Young Returns To Aston Villa On Free Transfer From Internazionale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.