Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? (7915 Views)

Muslim Allows Pastor Sleep In A Mosque As Christians Refused Him Accommodation / As Christians, How Should We Relate With Unbelievers? / Hey Christians, How Much Can You Really Say To Defend Your Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by richworth(m): 10:10am On Jul 21, 2019
malvisguy212:
If I am saved, why do I still sin? Why do I have such a problem with sin while I am here on earth? Why am I still troubled with impure thoughts? Why do I sometimes do what I know is wrong? Why do I sometimes fail to do what I know is right? Why do I continue to battle with temptations? Why do I
sometimes live and act like an unsaved person ( 1 Cor. 3:3), even though it grieves me and saddens me when I live this way?

the believers has TWO nature , although he is saved, he must beware ( 1 peter 5) once he is saved, what happened to the sinful nature ? When a person is saved, the old nature is not transformed into something good.

"That which is born of the flesh is flesh;
and that which is born of the spirit is
spirit" (John 3:6).

When a person is born again, the flesh does not transform itself into spirit. It remains what it
always was: FLESH. The old nature is not improved and sweetened. It does not undergo a reformation. When a person gets saved, does God transform
his old nature into something that is now good? Not at all.

the new birth is a CREATION and not a TRANSFORMATION . The new birth is the bringing in of a new thing, not the changing of an old. My old nature remains the same. The difference is this:
I now have a new nature created by God.

to OVERCOME sin, we need to grow in wisdom, you see, the different between Jesus and Adam was that, Jesus GREW IN WISDOM, ( Luke 2:52 And Jesus grew in wisdom ...) , thus he overcome the temptation of Satan. Adam was CREATED AS A FULL BLOWN MAN, an innocent creature without WISDOM , thus he was deceived by the serpent. so as I grew in wisdom by His Grace, God crucified my sinful nature.
Dafemich:
The Lord Jesus Christ said he not that the Father take us away from this world, but he should keep in His own name. So we are still here in this world.

As a Christian, we live a life that after we leave this world, we would make heaven. But in this world that sin is on the high every day, you can't live every minute without encountering huge temptations to sin.

Everyday, the devil is just bring up different types of methods to sin. But I believe there is a way. A way to overcome sin in the flesh.

So I want us Christians to discuss, what is that way?What is the way that Christ lay down to overcome sin?

Each portion of the scripture is loaded with divine secrets, when you are loaded with the Word it shatters darkness, as you encounter more light from the scriptures. The more you spend time with the word you are also spending more time with the author who is the Holy Spirit , it draws you closer to God keeping you more in His presence , you think more about the word, remember He is the Word.His word begins to work wonders , keeping you protected and defended , engracing you an overcomer , at this point your taste or cravings would have changed ,in the word you discover treasures like " I will put a new spirit within you"
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by richworth(m): 10:12am On Jul 21, 2019
Dafemich:
The Lord Jesus Christ said he not that the Father take us away from this world, but he should keep in His own name. So we are still here in this world.

As a Christian, we live a life that after we leave this world, we would make heaven. But in this world that sin is on the high every day, you can't live every minute without encountering huge temptations to sin.

Everyday, the devil is just bring up different types of methods to sin. But I believe there is a way. A way to overcome sin in the flesh.

So I want us Christians to discuss, what is thati way?What is the way that Christ lay down to overcome sin?

Each portion of the scripture is loaded with divine secrets, when you are loaded with the Word it shatters darkness, as you encounter more light from the scriptures. The more you spend time with the word you are also spending more time with the author who is the Holy Spirit , it draws you closer to God keeping you more in His presence , you think more about the word, remember He is the Word.His word begins to work wonders , keeping you protected and defended , engracing you an overcomer , at this point your taste or cravings would have changed ,in the word you discover treasures like " I will put a new spirit within you.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by kayjoasy: 10:22am On Jul 21, 2019
By making God's word a standard of your life
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by NotComplaining: 10:22am On Jul 21, 2019
If you want to avoid sin then you must classify what constitutes sin according to religious texts. Sin is transgression against the Laws of the Most High and to avoid sin, one must go back to the religious texts for the guideline set out by the Lord.

It is not enough to simply ask pastors, the books are for everyone including your pastors. Pastors often omit certain texts to suit their agenda.

The worst of all sins is idol worship, associating a partner with the Most High. So before you address other sins, remove the most important from your list. All christians are guilty of ascribing partners to God.

1 Like

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by follock007(m): 10:55am On Jul 21, 2019
sin = sun (son = omomo)

sun = terror

i just saw differently, sin is the one fighting you from inside out but you think you are the one care enough not to commit sin. the terror may choose any habit you may have just learned or saw and operate it as sin... sends criers to ask you to practice abstinence from them or die. my single grandfather died over drinking bear every evening and getting a visit from a particular bbw polytechnic lady. he told me about the crier and sinner tale two years to his death when he noticed his pressure had increase despite medication
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 21, 2019
Dafemich:
Yes, you get faith and increase your faith by hearing the word of God, but hearing the word of God alone doesn't mean we overcome sin. You are saying that I must hear the word of God to be able to overcome sin, which is good. I am not disputing that. but I am saying that what you need to know to overcome sin in the flesh is one thing. Just like the Lord Jesus Christ told Martha, one thing is needful, and that is believing in the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ. Believe because He rose from the dead as a human being, we also can live above sin as a human being. This is what is needful. I cannot know all the Bible verses, because I want to grow my faith. If I can just know this, I am good. This is my point. I don't think there is any need continue arguing on this. if you are not satisfied with this, no problem, but this is my point

Yes, even as a born again, we still have our old properties of sin in us, that come from time to time to act, if your spirit is open, it will freely enter and act, then go back to return again. And it keeps going on and on.But once you are filled with the holy spirit, it will find no space to enter. Feed your soul with the word, and pray all the time, when temptation comes, as sensitive as the spirit of God is, you will rebuke that opposing spirit. Detach yourself from things that breed sin, when provoked, resist that spirit of anger, when dealth with, report to God in prayers. In short, for you to get the kingdom of God on earth, you must detach yourself from the world and its wordiness. What l mean is that, as we live on earth and make use of things made on earth, we shouldn't allow them to rule over us.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by zionism43696: 11:17am On Jul 21, 2019
You Can Overcome Sin Or Temptation By Prayer. D Lord Jesus Said 2 His Disciples 2 Pray So That D Will Nt Fall In2 Temptation. You Are 2 Pray 4 D Grace Nt 2 Yield Any Member Of Your Body As An Instrument Of Unrighteousness, because By Strength, No Man Can Prevail. It Is God Grace That Make A Difference In A Man Life
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by naphunlimited(m): 11:17am On Jul 21, 2019
You can overcome sin by walking in the spirit and mortifying your flesh.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by AngelHoly(m): 11:20am On Jul 21, 2019
By staying indoors till ur death

As far as yuh are in naija.....u must commit

And u come dey for Lagos...i swear,ur own sin go be like Buhari stupidity...as multiplying by seconds

Jst driving with all this Lagos drivers alone will teach yuh dat committing sin is our way of life
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Quality20(m): 11:20am On Jul 21, 2019
I mostly want guys to stop sexual sins and defamations only
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Truefaith: 11:22am On Jul 21, 2019
Check this issue up with your Bible open at www.thetruechristianfaith.com
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Nobody: 11:25am On Jul 21, 2019
toprealman:
Dear Seun,
Why do I have to swear that I will be a Moslem to post a comment on a Muslim related topic but issues bothering on Christianity ieft open.
Just expressing my thought and an observation.
Cheers
don't mind dem
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by follock007(m): 11:31am On Jul 21, 2019
AngelHoly:

And u come dey for Lagos...i swear,ur own sin go be like Buhari stupidity...as multiplying by seconds

Jst driving with all this Lagos drivers alone will teach yuh dat committing sin is our way of life

lol grin
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by tstx(m): 11:34am On Jul 21, 2019
KhaleesiAdaz:
I so much believe that if religion is a good thing, it won't thrive in Africa esp Nigeria.
Nothing good thrives in Africa. Nothing absolutely nothing

Next time be specific... Say sub Saharan Africa.. Or black nation.. Because I've bin to some arab countries in Africa and i can tell you that the only thing that connects us with them is the name Africa
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Truefaith: 11:41am On Jul 21, 2019
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by am4truth(m): 11:56am On Jul 21, 2019
ednut1:
No one can overcome what you guys call sin. It part of life

No friend..don't be deceived.You can overcome sin not by your power but by the power of the Holy Spirit that resides in you if truly you have given your life to Christ. Now the question is...why then do Christian or church leaders sin? The answer they ignore the warning from the Holy Spirit whenever they fall into sin..
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by am4truth(m): 12:00pm On Jul 21, 2019
AngelHoly:

Hmmmm. I disagree with you friend. Don't allow the devil to 'destroy' your life with this lie. This is not an excuse before your maker. You shall surely give an account to the Most High on that great day...

Peace....I have said mine.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by optm(m): 12:12pm On Jul 21, 2019
Through building your relationship with God by the holyspirit. The closer ur relationship with God is, the more u loose interest in sin. 'Walk in the spirit and you will not fulfil the lust of the flesh'. the problem is engaging in those things that would build your relationship with God and take u closer to him.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by OmoOshodi(m): 1:01pm On Jul 21, 2019
First we need to know what is SIN

Scriptures say "all unrighteousness are sins" . 1. We need Holy Spirit "without Holy Spirit we can't please God" says the bible

2."Flee"

grin
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by akdjr(m): 1:17pm On Jul 21, 2019
The only way is to love your fellow human and don't believe those lies written in the Bible such as the flood that happened in Noah's village covered the entire earth and only him and his families including the animals he put inside the ark survived. Meanwhile Africans where living here without their knowledge and never experienced such flood that wipe out everything here.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 21, 2019
Dafemich:

So I want us Christians to discuss, what is that way?What is the way that Christ lay down to overcome sin?

My answer is that we can ONLY escape sin with the help of the HOLY SPIRIT. The Holy Spirit makes the difference. When you have Him in you, you are aware of sinful acts and He offers you ways of escape. If however you still fall into the temptation, you feel the guilt and shame of failure and you will be so convicted that you seek repentance. This is the difference. A sinner feels no remorse. He can commit adultery, fornication, kill, steal, etc and feels no guilt. Because the spirit is not in him/her.

Put simply, to avoid sin, fill your heart with the Word of God. The latter grows the Spirit of God in you. Remember that he that born of the flesh is flesh and does not understand the things of the spirit. However, he that is born of the Spirit overcome the flesh (world).

Shalom!!

1 Like

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by maxiuc(m): 1:48pm On Jul 21, 2019
If we say we have no sin in us we make God a liar

Hmmmmmm

God's word sometimes eeeeeeeeh

Las Las Heaven go shock some people
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by AngelHoly(m): 1:50pm On Jul 21, 2019
am4truth:

Hmmmm. I disagree with you friend. Don't allow the devil to 'destroy' your life with this lie. This is not an excuse before your maker. You shall surely give an account to the Most High on that great day...

Peace....I have said mine.

Bro I understand ur point but its NT working again bro
Tell yourself dey truth.....some people's job in this country is to help others commit I swear

Jst come Lagos....u will knw the meaning of anger....
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by APOSTLECHUMA: 1:52pm On Jul 21, 2019
AS LONG AS WE CONTINUE TO CONFUSE REPENTANCE WIT BEING BORN AGAIN, WE WIL CONTINUE TO HEAR THAT THIS CERTAIN PASTOR OR REVEREND FATHER WAS CAUGHT IN ADULTERY.YET THE WORLD SEE THEM AS BORN AGAIN. REPENTANCE DOESNT MEAN BEING BORN AGAIN AS THAT IS JUST THE BEGINNING OF THE WHOLE PROCESS. HE THAT IS BORN AGAIN OR BORN OF GOD,DOES NOT SIN ( 1 JOHN 3-9) BUT DAILY WE HEAR OF THE TERRIBLE SINS THOSE WE SEE AS BORN AGAIN COMMIT. SOMETHING IS WRONG AND IT IS BECAUSE WE CONFUSE REPENTANCE WIT BEING BORN AGAIN. A MAN CAN BE A PASTOR ETC AND EVEN DIE AND BE BURIED AS ONE BUT BEFORE GOD WASNT BORN AGAIN. MANY ALSO CONFUSE HAVING THE GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT WITH HAVING THE H.SPIRIT.ONE DOESNT NEED TO BE BORN AGAIN TO HAVE THE GIFTS AS THEY ARE WITHOUT REPENTANCE.SO MILLIONS OF PASTORS AND GENERAL OVERSEERS WILL AFTER PARADING GREAT GIFTS ON EARTH , END UP IN HELL BECAUSE THEY MERELY HAD THE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT WHICH ARE WITHOUT REPENTANCE BUT DIDNT WALK UP THE THIRD STAGE OF THE LADAR IN THE 3 STAGES OF THE WORK OF GRACE TO BE BAPTISED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT NOT JUST HAVE THE GIFTS OF THE H.SPIRIT. NO MAN NOT EVEN THE POPE CAN LIVE ABOVE SIN WITHOUT BEING BAPTISED BY THE H.SPIRIT AS THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO OVERCOME SIN AND OUTSIDE IT,HUMANITY IS POWERLESS BEFORE. SIN. UNBELIEVERS,DONT COMMIT SIN BUT LIVE IN SIN AND THEIR CASE IS DIFFERENT,THAT WAS WHY I WENT THE ANGEL I WENT. TO OVERCOME SIN, UNBELIEVERS NEED TO TAKE THE FIRST STEP OF FAITH TOWARDS BEING BORN AGAIN AND THAT IS REPENTANCE AND BEGIN THE PROCESS WHILE ALL WHO ARE CLAIMING TO BE BORN AGAIN HAVE TO BE SINCERE WITH GOD AND TRUELY REPENT AND WALK UP THE 2ND STAGE AND THE 3RD AND BE FILLED WIT THE H.SPIRIT AND DIE TO SIN AND EVERY DESIRE OF IT. 07054142412
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by xtgozie(m): 2:08pm On Jul 21, 2019
Dafemich:

Jesus has already overcame sin
1 Corinthians 15:55-57 King James Version (KJV)

55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

There is no sin for you to overcome any more.....

The only thing that will judge the world of sin is unbelief

John 16:8-9 New King James Version (NKJV)

8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me;

For me I believe his word that sin is finished and that's my faith ...Romans 4:2-8 New International Version (NIV)

2 If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3 What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”[a]

4 Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. 5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness. 6 David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

7 “Blessed are those
whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered.
8 Blessed is the one
whose sin the Lord will never count against them.”
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by xtgozie(m): 2:24pm On Jul 21, 2019
ednut1:
No one can overcome what you guys call sin. It part of life

So true.... What we did and didn't do wasn't what made us sinners....... Let's say lie for instance, Father Abraham lied that Sarah isn't his wife, yet he was called a friend of God... Tamar Seduced Judah her father in-law to impregnate her, and she was declared righteous for that act. Jacob swindled his brother lied to his father yet, he is the man that had the promise, and so on. Sin is not the nature(greed, hate, strife, funication, murder, etc) of man.

Sin is unbelief John 16:9 New International Version (NIV)

9 about sin, because people do not believe in me;

Romans 14:22 New International Version (NIV)

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by EkpoOgbongi: 2:38pm On Jul 21, 2019
This is the Bible definition of sin.

Romans 4:23 Good News Translation

But if they have doubts about what they eat, God condemns them when they eat it, because their action is not based on faith. And anything that is not based on faith is sin

1 Like

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Solsix(m): 2:58pm On Jul 21, 2019
Dafemich:

Only grace of God can help one overcome sin , mortification and self denial
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by kernniejay(m): 3:23pm On Jul 21, 2019
Let's start from the root source of sin, God told Adam and Eve that the day they disobey Him, they shall surely die (Gen 2:17). However, in Gen 3:6, devil successful deceived woman and her man to disobey God, any disobedience to God's instruction is sin, that is why SIN is described as Simple Instruction Neglected. It is also written in Romans 6:23 that the wages of sin is death. Note that Adam and Eve were meant to live forever, but the day they sinned, they signed their own death warrant. As a result of Adam and Eve's disobedience, all human being that comes to this world has inherited sin from our first parents. Even a new baby that is just being given birth to today has inherited sin and become a sinner. (Psalm 51:5), nobody that comes to this world can escape that passage of sin (Hebrews 3:23). Now, because God loves man very much and He does not wish man to die forever, He does not want His masterplan for man to live forever fail, He therefore made a provision to forgive man so that sin can be erased and man can live forever with Him. To bring forgiveness, blood is required. Therefore God sent His only son Jesus in the form of flesh to die so that His blood can be used to wash away man's sins. Anyone that has accepted Jesus and obey Him will not die forever, such a person will resurrect on the last day to reign with God forever in His Kingdom. To overcome sin, one has to first believe in Jesus as true son of God, accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, develop a personal relationship with God by studying His Word which is the Bible, communicate with God everyday through prayer, identify and join a good church where children of God worship Him, ask God to give you His Holy Spirit and the Spirit of God will empower you to be able to avoid sin and overcome temptation that the devil might bring your way. Man cannot avoid sin by his own efforts as long as man still lives in this flesh, but a man that is filled with the Holy Spirit will be given power to avoid sin. For more details, please read Romance 3:23-26, Romance 6:1-23, Hebrews 10:26-29.
Thank you.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Image123(m): 3:26pm On Jul 21, 2019
Romans 12:1,2 helps. You must also HATE sin.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Testimony Of An Ex-disciple Of A Top American Witch / Wapgospel.com - Download Gospel Musics; Hymns, Acapella E.t.c / Armed Biker Gang Plans Open-carry “draw Mohammed” Contest Outside Phoenix Mosque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.