Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,713 members, 7,809,704 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? (7905 Views)

Muslim Allows Pastor Sleep In A Mosque As Christians Refused Him Accommodation / As Christians, How Should We Relate With Unbelievers? / Hey Christians, How Much Can You Really Say To Defend Your Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by 9jamustchange: 4:09pm On Jul 21, 2019
The most dangerous sin is to refuse God's offer of salvation. This offer is accepted by believing on the Lord Jesus in one's heart and confessing with the mouth. To reject it is to trample upon the precious blood of Jesus and insult the Spirit of Grace!
Christians are expected to overcome sin. Christ gave us the example of living without sin. The apostles lived without sin.

We must reckon ourselves as death to sin. It must not reign over our mortal bodies.
We must live by the spirit.
We must grow to the full stature of Christ by feeding the spirit man with the word of God and obeying the word.
The one who called us is faithful and will see us through!
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by malvisguy212: 4:54pm On Jul 21, 2019
richworth:

Each portion of the scripture is loaded with divine secrets, when you are loaded with the Word it shatters darkness, as you encounter more light from the scriptures. The more you spend time with the word you are also spending more time with the author who is the Holy Spirit , it draws you closer to God keeping you more in His presence , you think more about the word, remember He is the Word.His word begins to work wonders , keeping you protected and defended , engracing you an overcomer , at this point your taste or cravings would have changed ,in the word you discover treasures like " I will put a new spirit within you"
well said.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Olumyco(m): 5:09pm On Jul 21, 2019
Dafemich:
The Lord Jesus Christ said he not that the Father take us away from this world, but he should keep in His own name. So we are still here in this world.

As a Christian, we live a life that after we leave this world, we would make heaven. But in this world that sin is on the high every day, you can't live every minute without encountering huge temptations to sin.

Everyday, the devil is just bring up different types of methods to sin. But I believe there is a way. A way to overcome sin in the flesh.

So I want us Christians to discuss, what is that way?What is the way that Christ lay down to overcome sin?

For a person to stop committing sin, he needs to first pray for salvation. When he gets saved, he needs to press forward to be sanctified and lastly get baptised with the Holy Ghost and Fire.

These three Christian experiences are essential to conquer sin in this world. Salvation takes care of your committed sin. That is, sin as an act. You receive pardon for sin when you get saved. Sanctification takes care of inbred sin. That is, sin as a nature. The root of sin is uprooted. The old man that makes us sin is killed. You receive purity when you get sanctified. Baptism of the Holy Ghost gives you power for service. That is power to endure and work for God

The three Ps

Pardon - Purity - Power

Thanks
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by orisa37: 5:42pm On Jul 21, 2019
Be Born Again.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Dafemich(m): 7:31pm On Jul 21, 2019
Solsix:

Only grace of God can help one overcome sin , mortification and self denial
And this grace in the Lord Jesus Christ. When we apply our believe to what the Lord Jesus Christ has done, then the grace will come to play

1 Like

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Dafemich(m): 7:33pm On Jul 21, 2019
Amitez:

My answer is that we can ONLY escape sin with the help of the HOLY SPIRIT. The Holy Spirit makes the difference. When you have Him in you, you are aware of sinful acts and He offers you ways of escape. If however you still fall into the temptation, you feel the guilt and shame of failure and you will be so convicted that you seek repentance. This is the difference. A sinner feels no remorse. He can commit adultery, fornication, kill, steal, etc and feels no guilt. Because the spirit is not in him/her.

Put simply, to avoid sin, fill your heart with the Word of God. The latter grows the Spirit of God in you. Remember that he that born of the flesh is flesh and does not understand the things of the spirit. However, he that is born of the Spirit overcome the flesh (world).

Shalom!!
Then how does the Holy Spirit comes
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Dafemich(m): 7:43pm On Jul 21, 2019
Georgetlm2:

So what is the faith of Jesus.
The faith of Jesus is believing that he came to this as a human being. And he died and resurrected as a human being
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Dafemich(m): 7:48pm On Jul 21, 2019
CaveAdullam:
Looking unto Jesus Christ our Lord the author and finisher of our faith.

The Lord Jesus Christ conquered sin in the flesh totally on the Cross of Calvary, what you need to do is to ask Him for wisdom and revelation of that same victory both of you shared on the Cross of Calvary over principalities and powers, sin, fleshly desires and all other things contrary to the will of God Almighty.

If you focus on yourselve to overcome sin/the flesh on earth you will surely fail, if you set rules, regulations and schedules you will not be able to meet up, no matter how much you try, it will lead you into further depression just like the case of the man in ROMANS CHAPTER 7.

Let the Holy Spirit that indwells you, bring you to the understanding of the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ that you may have the mindset that there is no condemnation in Christ Jesus. Let the whole of your heart be that that seeks the Lord Jesus Christ with all its strength, reins, and passions, and you will see yourself leaping from glory to glory in Christ Jesus, far above trials, temptations and persecutions.

Do not focus on the sin/flesh but pour all your focus on the Lord Jesus Christ, think Christ, speak Christ, desire, Christ, love Christ, dine with Christ and you will surely become like Christ. As He is in the heavenly place so we are in this world.

Thanks.

God bless.
Thank you very much. This was what I was saying. It started with Jesus and end with Jesus
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Dafemich(m): 7:53pm On Jul 21, 2019
Soul47:
By having the word of God in you.
And who is the word of God, Jesus of course. The Lord Jesus Christ is the word of God
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Spain007(m): 8:06pm On Jul 21, 2019
Dafemich:
The Lord Jesus Christ said he not that the Father take us away from this world, but he should keep in His own name. So we are still here in this world.

As a Christian, we live a life that after we leave this world, we would make heaven. But in this world that sin is on the high every day, you can't live every minute without encountering huge temptations to sin.

Everyday, the devil is just bring up different types of methods to sin. But I believe there is a way. A way to overcome sin in the flesh.

So I want us Christians to discuss, what is that way?What is the way that Christ lay down to overcome sin?

Abstinence
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Soul47(m): 8:54pm On Jul 21, 2019
Dafemich:
And who is the word of God, Jesus of course. The Lord Jesus Christ is the word of God

I don't know much about that, but studying the Bible and living your life according to its dictates as much as you can, not willfully going against it is what I mean.

Accept Jesus into one's life is part of it but dosent end there.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Dafemich(m): 8:57pm On Jul 21, 2019
Soul47:

I don't know much about that, but studying the Bible and living your life according to its dictates as much as you can, not willfully going against it is what I mean.

Accept Jesus into one's life is part of it but dosent end there.
So you don't know the Lord Jesus is the word. Read John 1:1. maybe you understand
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Soul47(m): 9:13pm On Jul 21, 2019
Dafemich:
So you don't know the Lord Jesus is the word. Read John 1:1. maybe you understand

It was written.

Am talking about practical ways to overcome sin.
You accept Jesus, and also take heed to the word.

It is also in the scriptures. Saying Jesus is the word and leaving it all at only accepting him is baseless cause all you will have is someone who says he has Jesus in him but... You know the rest.

Belief is subjective and the Bible has many interpretations.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by olawuyirasaq: 1:20pm On Jul 22, 2019
malvisguy212:
If I am saved, why do I still sin? Why do I have such a problem with sin while I am here on earth? Why am I still troubled with impure thoughts? Why do I sometimes do what I know is wrong? Why do I sometimes fail to do what I know is right? Why do I continue to battle with temptations? Why do I
sometimes live and act like an unsaved person ( 1 Cor. 3:3), even though it grieves me and saddens me when I live this way?

the believers has TWO nature , although he is saved, he must beware ( 1 peter 5) once he is saved, what happened to the sinful nature ? When a person is saved, the old nature is not transformed into something good.

"That which is born of the flesh is flesh;
and that which is born of the spirit is
spirit" (John 3:6).

When a person is born again, the flesh does not transform itself into spirit. It remains what it
always was: FLESH. The old nature is not improved and sweetened. It does not undergo a reformation. When a person gets saved, does God transform
his old nature into something that is now good? Not at all.

the new birth is a CREATION and not a TRANSFORMATION . The new birth is the bringing in of a new thing, not the changing of an old. My old nature remains the same. The difference is this:
I now have a new nature created by God.

to OVERCOME sin, we need to grow in wisdom, you see, the different between Jesus and Adam was that, Jesus GREW IN WISDOM, ( Luke 2:52 And Jesus grew in wisdom ...) , thus he overcome the temptation of Satan. Adam was CREATED AS A FULL BLOWN MAN, an innocent creature without WISDOM , thus he was deceived by the serpent. so as I grew in wisdom by His Grace, God crucified my sinful nature.

which sin again nah i thought Jesus has already die for our sin.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Kobojunkie: 8:03pm On Apr 26, 2023
Dafemich:
■ The Lord Jesus Christ said he not that the Father take us away from this world, but he should keep in His own name. So we are still here in this world. As a Christian, we live a life that after we leave this world, we would make heaven. But in this world that sin is on the high every day, you can't live every minute without encountering huge temptations to sin. Everyday, the devil is just bring up different types of methods to sin. But I believe there is a way. A way to overcome sin in the flesh. So I want us Christians to discuss, what is that way?What is the way that Christ lay down to overcome sin?
1. Through self-discipline and self-control really we are commanded to live our lives in continuous submission and obedience to the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ , God's Truth and Constitutional Law in the Kingdom of God. And as Jesus Christ made clear it is only by knowing the Truth — living continuously accepting and obeying His Gospel — that we are then set free from slavery to sin by knowing of the Truth, to be eventually transformed into Sons of God. undecided
31 So Jesus said to the Jews who believed in him, “If you continue to accept and obey my teaching, you are really my followers.
32 You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.
33 They answered, “We are Abraham’s descendants. And we have never been slaves. So why do you say that we will be free?”
34 Jesus said, “The truth is, everyone who sins is a slave—a slave to sin.
35 A slave does not stay with a family forever. But a son belongs to the family forever.
36 So if the Son makes you free, you are really free. - John 8 vs 31 - 36
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Kobojunkie: 5:09pm On May 17, 2023
Dafemich:
■ The Lord Jesus Christ said he not that the Father take us away from this world, but he should keep in His own name. So we are still here in this world.As a Christian, we live a life that after we leave this world, we would make heaven. But in this world that sin is on the high every day, you can't live every minute without encountering huge temptations to sin. Everyday, the devil is just bring up different types of methods to sin. But I believe there is a way. A way to overcome sin in the flesh. So I want us Christians to discuss, what is that way?What is the way that Christ lay down to overcome sin?
1. Jesus Christ told you that He is The Way, and for this reason, He instructed you to live your life in continuous submission and obedience to His teachings and commandments — God's Truth and Way— for it is by knowing the Way(Truth) that you are then set free from slavery to sin by the Way(Truth) - John 8 vs 31 - 36. undecided
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Kobojunkie: 8:47pm On May 19, 2023
Georgetlm2:
So what is the faith of Jesus.
According to Jesus Christ, the only way to overcome sin(disobedience) is in fact through the living of one's life in continuous submission and obedience to His teachings and commandments — Faith— by which one comes to a knowledge of the Truth and is eventually set free from slavery to sin by the Truth - John 8 vs 31 - 38. You see, God Himself explained what the word faith means in Genesis 26 vs 5 when He pointed out that the reason why He made a promise to Abraham had to do with the fact that Abraham lived his life in submission and obedience of His, God's, teachings and commandments - Faith. God gave that as the one and only reason why He made Abraham His friend. This offer we observe Jesus Christ makes with all those of His followers who will do as He says - John 15 vs 9 -14 — those who will submit to and obey His teachings and commandments in the Kingdom of God. So, there you have it. Faith refers to living one's life in continuous submission and obedience to God's commandments and teachings, and in our case, in Jesus Christ. This definition is observed as being used in the Old Testament as well as in the New Covenant by Jesus Christ Himself. undecided
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Kobojunkie: 3:22am On May 23, 2023
malvisguy212:
If I am saved, why do I still sin? Why do I have such a problem with sin while I am here on earth? Why am I still troubled with impure thoughts? Why do I sometimes do what I know is wrong? Why do I sometimes fail to do what I know is right? Why do I continue to battle with temptations? Why do I sometimes live and act like an unsaved person even though it grieves me and saddens me when I live this way? the believers has TWO nature , although he is saved, he must beware ( 1 peter 5) once he is saved, what happened to the sinful nature ? When a person is saved, the old nature is not transformed into something good.
A born-again is a sinner who has been issued a passport and given the necessary documents to enter into the Kingdom of God. He remains a sinner even after becoming born-again — born of water( The New Law has become the Fountain of Living Water from which he now drinks) and born of Spirit(of Eternal Life) — and gaining access into the Kingdom of God. He is saved from the condemnation of sin aka the curse of sin but he remains a sinner because he has yet to pay off his sin debt. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Merry Christmas To All Nairalanders / Restitution: Christ's Teaching For The Church Or Old Testament Law? / Testimony Of An Ex-disciple Of A Top American Witch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.