Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,227 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? (10194 Views)

If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious / Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? / Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by unclebros: 10:07pm On Oct 13, 2010
Dont get me wrong, i appreciate good quality music in church, am just wondering when and why do churches have to pay the instrumentalists? we have ushers, choristers, dramatists, children church teachers and so many departments in the church and dont get paid.

Is serving God with one's gift for monetary exchange?
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by manmustwac(m): 10:20pm On Oct 13, 2010
Are you sure church pay thier musicians because to the best of my knowledge church provides all the instruments but dosen't pay them to perform
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by martyns303(m): 10:39pm On Oct 13, 2010
i may not say d words exactly but imma give u clues, u may ask ur pastor bout this: the bible says a labourer is worthy of his wages or sumtin like that, an being a musician means ur of the ''LEVI'' and the levi's are those responsible for music in the temple, and just as the priest they also benefit from the offering brought to the temple. Its from ur offering they pay the pastors, so also the levi's or musicians. Ask ur pastor to verify what i'v just said.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Nairalane: 10:54pm On Oct 13, 2010
Hurray,for those w
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Nairalane: 10:55pm On Oct 13, 2010
Hurray,for those that have desktop/laptop computer or even browsing with modem,do u know that u can browse without modem,all u nid 2 do is 2 dial this number and
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Obelomo: 11:27pm On Oct 13, 2010
I never heard this?
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Oct 13, 2010
martyns303:

i may not say d words exactly but imma give u clues, u may ask your pastor bout this: the bible says a labourer is worthy of his wages or sumtin like that, an being a musician means your of the ''LEVI'' and the levi's are those responsible for music in the temple, and just as the priest they also benefit from the offering brought to the temple. Its from your offering they pay the pastors, so also the levi's or musicians. Ask your pastor to verify what i'v just said.

Well as "levi" (sic) those musicians ought not to work but live 24/7 in the temple right? They shld own no land, no car, no houses, no inheritance as well. you cant just be a levi when it comes to eating from the offering plate. Be a levi all the way!
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by martyns303(m): 6:11am On Oct 14, 2010
@david. First am not sure levi's ain't suppose to own properties, i'll do my home work on that. but if that is true will the church provide the neccessary infrastructure required as a person for them?
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by unclebros: 8:29am On Oct 14, 2010
@martyns303 are we not all workers in His vineyard?

Lets live the pastors here for now, there are so many people that use their God given talents in the church without pay. So I dont think instrumentalists are different. Talking about Levi, Choristers do fall into that category but dont get paid.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by martyns303(m): 10:09am On Oct 14, 2010
unclebros:

@martyns303 are we not all workers in His vineyard?

Lets live the pastors here for now, there are so many people that use their God given talents in the church without pay. So I dont think instrumentalists are different. Talking about Levi, Choristers do fall into that category but dont get paid.

My brother if we should be realistic and address this issue as it is, put all social norms and modesty aside. Yes we are all workers in his vineyard but the musicians play a more important role more than even the priest, controversial statement? U should knw that the levi's brings down the presence of GOD with praises, the levi's go befor or are place in front of the ark of the LORD while the priest follow behind, King David is so favoured becos he's a musician and knws how to priase GOD. It took the levi's to bring down the walls of jericho, as a matter of fact the isrealites dn't go to war without the levi's. Anybody can be ordained a priest if u walk in GOD but the musicians are special people, they have to be decendants of levi(as of then sha'). Prayers offered by priest may fail u but praises offered by levi's (urself) will never fail u, praise is an alternative or last hope when prayer has failed u, why do u think David danced and priase GOD untill his clothes fell of 4rm him, GOD even punished a woman for dispissing David when he was dancing. GOD does not joke with praise/worship. His glory he will share with no one. Don't ur bible tell u that prayers move mountains but praises move GOD?, and who is responsible for praise/worship. Even 2day if the praise/worship session is not tight church service will be a little dull. Its easier for people to fall under anoiting during worship than when ministration is going on. But the levi's are obliged and recognise the priest as the head.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by PastorAIO: 10:49am On Oct 14, 2010
davidylan:

Well as "levi" (sic) those musicians ought not to work but live 24/7 in the temple right? They shld own no land, no car, no houses, no inheritance as well. you cant just be a levi when it comes to eating from the offering plate. Be a levi all the way!

I drove my Chevy to the Levi but the Levi was dry.

Can I be a Levi when it comes to eating American Pie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5AA2S0F4mI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6uEjifqTaI&feature=fvw
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by PastorAIO: 10:50am On Oct 14, 2010
Musicians invoke spirit. They are the priests. They are the Hierophant.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by KunleOshob(m): 10:51am On Oct 14, 2010
martyns303:

Anybody can be ordained a priest if u walk in GOD but the musicians are special people, they have to be decendants of levi(as of then sha').

The above statement is FALSE, only levites could be ordained as priests  and not just anybody as it is being done today. Also all tempe workrs including musicians had to be levites.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by KunleOshob(m): 11:01am On Oct 14, 2010
It is only in commercialized pentecostal churches that this practise of paying instrumentalist goes on, you won't find it happening in the more decent churches. I once overheard a pastor complain about the high cost of paying instrumentalist in churches theses days, i was shocked cos prior to then i had though they did it as a voluntary service to glorify God. I asked him why he had to pay instrumentalist, his response was that if you don't pay them well another chrch like House on the rock[Paul Adefarasin] would snatch all your good instrumentalist by attracting them with better wages. And when you don't have good entertainment music in the church you would loose your members to other churches who can provide the members with better quality music. It then occured to me that it was just a strategic business practise, its just about providing quality customer service to their customers to retain their patronage and enusre the revenue keeps streming in, its all about competition amongst competing businesses churches.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by PastorAIO: 11:06am On Oct 14, 2010
KunleOshob:

It is only in commercialized pentecostal churches that this practise of paying instrumentalist goes on, you won't find it happening in the more decent churches. I once overheard a pastor complain about the high cost of paying instrumentalist in churches theses days, i was shocked cos prior to then i had though they did it as a voluntary service to glorify God. I asked him why he had to pay instrumentalist, his response was that if you don't pay them well another chrch like House on the rock[Paul Adefarasin] would snatch all your good instrumentalist by attracting them with better wages. And when you don't have good entertainment music in the church you would loose your members to other churches who can provide the members with better quality music. It then occured to me that it was just a strategic business practise, its just about providing quality customer service to their customers to retain their patronage and enusre the revenue keeps streming in, its all about competition amongst competing businesses churches.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin

It is called Market Forces. cool
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Image123(m): 11:11am On Oct 14, 2010
So ushers, cell leaders, counselors and co are from the tribe of Zebulun or which one?
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Kx: 11:12am On Oct 14, 2010
For churches that do not have in house organists or organists that are church members, they pay walk-in organists to play and teach church members to play the instrument.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by PastorAIO: 11:16am On Oct 14, 2010
Bach took up a post as a court musician in the chapel of Duke Johann Ernst in Weimar, . . . . .

In August 1703, he accepted the post of organist at that church, with light duties, a relatively generous salary,   . . . .

He was offered a more lucrative post as organist at St. Blasius's in Mühlhausen, a large and important city to the north. The following year, he took up this senior post with significantly improved pay and conditions, including a good choir.    . . . .
  Bach left, to become the court organist and concertmaster at the ducal court in Weimar, a far cry from his earlier position there as 'lackey'. The munificent salary on offer at the court and the prospect of working entirely with a large, well-funded contingent of professional musicians may have prompted the move. . . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Sebastian_Bach
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by martyns303(m): 11:19am On Oct 14, 2010
For Christ sake these people are workers and deserve reward, my music director back then is paid largely, its his job, its what he does for a living.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Ganjaseed: 11:40am On Oct 14, 2010
If the pastor is getting fat pay why not the entertainers that make things happen? Its fair to pay them its all business.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by alexleo(m): 1:03pm On Oct 14, 2010
music is a profession that some of these musicians spend money and time to learn. They learn it as a profession that they want to use to fend for their living. Ushering and the other ones you are talking about are not in this category. Does the electrician, the mechanic, the capenter, the medical personel, the painter, the plumber, the ICT personel etc. render their professional duties free for churches. If one is moved to do that its not bad but not by compulson. And if these skilled workers get paid when they render their services to churches, I see no reason why a musician should not be paid except if the person decides to do it free.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by unclebros: 1:50pm On Oct 14, 2010
You all need to see the attitude of these instrumentalists brethren, for most of them, they dont bother about where they worship , they only bother on the pay.
Most of them hop from one church to another, not properly discipled as a Christian. When you chat with them, For those of you that kept referring to them as the Levites, you discovered they dont have ministry on their mind. All they know is pay me now or i get out of your church.

Now i blame the pastors that started this movement. The money has lured these guys from the rudiments of the ministry and the Word!
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by PastorAIO: 5:51pm On Oct 14, 2010
unclebros:

You all need to see the attitude of these instrumentalists brethren, for most of them, they dont bother about where they worship , they only bother on the pay.
Most of them hop from one church to another, not properly discipled as a Christian. When you chat with them, For those of you that kept referring to them as the Levites, you discovered they dont have ministry on their mind. All they know is pay me now or i get out of your church.

Now i blame the pastors that started this movement. The money has lured these guys from the rudiments of the ministry and the Word!

I know many muslims that play the music in church, especially the talking drummers. Most of those Ayans are traditionally muslims anyway.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by kokoye(m): 8:53pm On Oct 14, 2010
unclebros:

How many times do you want to be told that playing instruments is their source of livelihood? If you do not pay them, how are they going to survive??

If you want them at your beck n call 24hours a day, yes you should pay them.

Why are you comparing them to ushers who have other regular jobs?

Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Image123(m): 9:08pm On Oct 14, 2010
Personally, i don't think being paid or otherwise in church is what takes us to Heaven or debars us from it. But the truth is that we can't make vague excuses for instrumentalists and call them levites. Nothing biblical qualifies their being paid without including ALL other workers. They're all God's labourers in God's sight.
alexleo:

music is a profession that some of these musicians spend money and time to learn. They learn it as a profession that they want to use to fend for their living. Ushering and the other ones you are talking about are not in this category. Does the electrician, the mechanic, the capenter, the medical personel, the painter, the plumber, the ICT personel etc. render their professional duties free for churches. If one is moved to do that its not bad but not by compulson. And if these skilled workers get paid when they render their services to churches, I see no reason why a musician should not be paid except if the person decides to do it free.
Music is a profession ko. I think we should copy good things, not wrong things. Any worker who's not full time should go and work with his/her hands. Are they the first people to sing? This is what brings God's work to disrepute. There are ways to make music a profession. Are they more skilled than king David, skilled ko. How much are you paying him for his psalms. They should go and produce albums and sell jare if they truly desire music careers.lazy,spoilt set of believers. Sorry o
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by unclebros: 9:32pm On Oct 14, 2010
@image123

Spot on!
God bless
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Image123(m): 10:43pm On Oct 14, 2010
Wait a minute, before i sleep, lemme say this. At least this is internet. I think these instrumentalists and their sympathisers should just read about the too much Fanny Crosby and then Horatio Spafford(for a start) on wikipedia and get challenged. Then they should cover themselves in shame and sackcloth, and their computers in ashes. Skilled ko. Lazy, spoilt set of believers. Sorry o.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Oct 14, 2010
martyns303:

@david. First am not sure levi's ain't suppose to own properties, i'll do my home work on that. but if that is true will the church provide the neccessary infrastructure required as a person for them?

you dont know who a levite is and YET you claim musicians shld be payed based on being "levites"? Kunleoshob said it . . . ALL temple workers in the old testament were levites, that included ushers, gatekeepers, cleaners e.t.c and they were all PAYED and catered for as levites. Now why do churches pay musicians and not ushers? Because like Kunle said . . . its all about business. Churches know that the quality of entertainment worship is directly proportional to the church population.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by YoungBrain: 1:11pm On Oct 15, 2010
As has been said before music is a profession and not
all instrumentalist that play in a church are necessarily
members of that church or even christains in the first place.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Exponental(m): 1:14pm On Oct 15, 2010
Most Instrumentalists have their different jobs.
[size=20pt]To have a good worship service, u need good instrument been synchronised with the song[/size]
others can be improvised but if u are not good with the instrument, u are not good.
so, to appreciate the service, ENCOURAGE those who are good.
the money is to encourage them to come for service at anytime of the day they might be called upon.

[i][b]imagine u want a birthday service on a wednesday and no instrument is played cos the instrumentalists couldnt make it, then the church would like a burial ground at night.[/[/b]i]
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by alexleo(m): 1:50pm On Oct 15, 2010
image123,
you are getting it wrong here and your sorry is not necessary. Do you know that the people who study music in the university pay the same school fees as those that study engineering, medicine and any other course? No university or school of music does their music teaching free of charge because somebody is going to use it to play in the church. The way some churches do it like my church is that we run a music school where people are taught this things free of charge and strictly for playing in our church and I can tell you that before you even enroll in the music school you must have spent some time in the church and we are sure you are truly born again. Even when you are learning it, if we discover that your life style is inconsistent with the word of God we sack you. If churches want free instrumentalists, they should invest in it and train them free. Not when somebody pays to learn it to earn a living you want him to play for free by force. It is not a thing of force. It is something that the person will do out of a willing heart so stop your condemnation. Churches pay pastors and bishops, they pay engineers and other skilled workers when they need their services and here you are condemning someone who pays his way through to learn music just like any other profession. YOU ARE WRONG PLS. Allow people to do something for God out of freewill and not by FORCE. At the same time I do not support churches who employ this musicians irrespective of their dirty life style. They should make sure that it is born again musicians that are playing for them. God is holy and we must worship him in holiness. Not anyhow. God bless you dear.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by donclemo(m): 2:22pm On Oct 15, 2010
Guy nice Question I am an instrumentalist i have played for different church i still remember back when i was in Nigeria when a keyboardist sold a cd he must have probably downloaded for free for 2500 naira{that guy na thief oh } i didnt go to any music school but i know i have spent money, time and resources to learn this instrument. As an instrumentalist you are expected to be in church every Sunday and on time. @poster what happens when u cant be in church on Sunday because you are broke or u can go to church early because instead of taking a Taxi to church u wait for a bus or molue because it is cheaper. We all know that when there is no good music in the church the music is dull of u want to experiment that. try recording urself in ur phone or tape recorder singing a worship song and play only that record for a whole week.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Insecurity: Statement By Rev. Stephen Baba Panya, ECWA President / The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion / Plagiarism In The Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.