Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,790 members, 7,810,054 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:37 PM

4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job (21808 Views)

4 Professional CONTENT WRITERS NEEDED N30k per week / Ten Mistakes You Must Avoid In Your CV / Why Recruiters Are Deleting Your CV On Sight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by H100: 9:45am On Jul 23, 2019
Dear Applicants,

I think it all depends on who is looking at your CV and what he or she believes your CV should look like. My advise is to keep it simple and communicate your strength and achievements.

A good grade out of school will place you on high pedestal such that you don’t need to struggle too much to get some opportunities. Please go for it. If you ask me, I would say after school is school. For the ambitious ones that have put in their best, after school:

(1) look for scholarship opportunities to study abroad

(2) look for job opportunities available for you around

Below are 7 reasons your CV isn’t getting you those interviews you so desperately needed.

This should be a guideline in making your CV professional.

1. Please be mindful of your own address. Unless you stay close enough to the company location, Do not add, If for example, you apply to a company in AA and your address states MN(very far from the company), you just reduced your chances if you add your address. Email and phone number is enough. nevertheless based on personal experience, I’ll simply say that the format you decide to adopt is acceptable to some HR /Recruiter and not acceptable to others. I’ve removed and added my address like 3 or 4 times based on recommendations and feedback. A recruiter once called me to add my address and resend my CV.

2. Date of birth, state of origin, gender, nationality, 1st or last born status – all these may not matter at all.

3. Personal objective, career summary, and all that crap. Watch it, many may never read them. Could just be waste of space. However, some school of thought opined that in a sentence or two, one can “succinctly” state who he/she is, what position he/she wants and how would the firm benefit from him/her. CV is the summary of your career. Not a statement. I also had one on my CV for a long time till I started reviewing CVs myself. No one reads it. If you must hype yourself a bit, please sincerely do all that in a 10 word or less pitch of yourself.

4. Unless expressly stated, remove those references. They don’t add anything to your CV.

read more: https://onegoodhead.com/7-reasons-cv-get-job/

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Dave0116(m): 1:06pm On Jul 23, 2019
My first FTC, I decicate this to all those who lost their lives yesterday fighting for the nigerian course. And also to Nwamaikpe for this vocabular confrontations. grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Emily22(m): 1:06pm On Jul 23, 2019
Hmmm.

And with the proper connection.

Your CV will be sent via phone call

And when u get there,instead of interview ,it ll be a negotiation

#lagoswahala

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Sannisege: 1:06pm On Jul 23, 2019
k
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Abiboss: 1:06pm On Jul 23, 2019
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Lamasta(m): 1:06pm On Jul 23, 2019
This is Nigeria some don't even have CV and they are getting good jobs not because they are qualified but because they have somebody at the top to connects them and also just pray your CV whether designed or not to the taste of the employer just pray your CV receive the favour of the employer or interviewer and You good to go.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by dosage150(m): 1:07pm On Jul 23, 2019
I don't want to mention your name here,
But come and carry this thing here,
E yaff dry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by RDPMAN: 1:07pm On Jul 23, 2019
Okay
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by PrinceKevin01: 1:07pm On Jul 23, 2019
Nice one

Anyway, i will Build a Professional Logo for your Product or Company For 1k. Offer valid today only. See my info below to Chat me up on WhatsApp
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by honest1480(m): 1:07pm On Jul 23, 2019
Nice write up, but when it is your time the structure of your CV won't matter.

8 Likes

Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by johnaruson(m): 1:08pm On Jul 23, 2019
Unless you were seen physically, Nobody will employ you without a clue on your age bracket.

1 Like

Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Babaheekmat: 1:08pm On Jul 23, 2019
Confirm.

All na guess work..

May Allah bless us..

Less trashy CV might even go before the so called advanced resume

3 Likes

Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 23, 2019
There are no jobs. Simple
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 23, 2019
You can have a good cv with empty brain and a bad cv with good brains. Stop placing too much emphasis on CV in today's world no one cares. What can you do and what have you done is key

2 Likes

Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by dayveed1(m): 1:11pm On Jul 23, 2019
Abegiiiiiiiii... Most well arranged cvs dey rott inside house.. No job anywhere.

1 Like

Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by dayveed1(m): 1:12pm On Jul 23, 2019
windofjustice:
There are no jobs. Simple
no mind ham
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Zombiekiller010: 1:12pm On Jul 23, 2019
Yeye, Op your Message is for a Poor man pikin
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Bbbwings: 1:15pm On Jul 23, 2019
Forget that thing
I was fortunate to treat the director in charge of recruitment.
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Imstrong2(m): 1:17pm On Jul 23, 2019
Is it good to correct your employer grammertical error during interview?.. of course yes!! But make sure you check the woman selling akara by next street..

na your CV she go use serve you grin

1 Like

Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by ritux: 1:19pm On Jul 23, 2019
For those of you saying no job anywhere and phone call connections, read the link below for my story. Perseverance and patience matters a lot.

https://www.nairaland.com/5304326/online-job-applications-how-got#80359641
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by sowilli: 1:22pm On Jul 23, 2019
Please gender and nationality is very important. State it clearly on your CV. Some positions are exclusive to male and some to some particular nationality, if you are a Dual National, it may boost your chances.
Please put summary instead of objective. That’s the first way you express your communication and writing skills. Very important.

4 Likes

Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by mixta140: 1:25pm On Jul 23, 2019
Hmmmm....i hear something.

For stubborn STD check my signature.
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jul 23, 2019
U are TALKING RUBBISH
what about the CHIEF JUSTICE OF NIGERIA...??

Without ENGLISH and MATHEMATICS

1 Like

Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Waakanda: 1:48pm On Jul 23, 2019
Hmmn...

Without mincing words, CV writing is environment-dependent.

This is the perfect write-up that detailed the step by step guide to writing an effective CV (with catchy sample) for Nigerians: https://www.nairaland.com/3168032/complete-step-step-guide-writing

Over 42,000 views here on Nairaland and still counting smiley

"Ye shall know the truth... and it'll set you free (from years of wasted efforts) cool

1 Like

Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Jaqenhghar: 1:50pm On Jul 23, 2019
You forgot a 5th reason.

You dont know anybody to help push your CV
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Olalekanharoon(m): 1:53pm On Jul 23, 2019
Please who knows about Sme global concept or revelation properties?
Who else received an Invite from them?
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by tgmservice: 1:53pm On Jul 23, 2019
You are saying objectives does not matter tomorrow another CV guru will say its matters alot.
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Sonnobax15(m): 2:03pm On Jul 23, 2019
Do buhari have a cv??..if yes,how well is it??..and who is he today??...cv or no cv,just have the right connection and you'll be the one running away from job opportunities..
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by H100: 2:23pm On Jul 23, 2019
Waakanda:
Hmmn...

Without mincing words, CV writing is environment-dependent.

This is the perfect write-up that detailed the step by step guide to writing an effective CV (with catchy sample) for Nigerians: https://www.nairaland.com/3168032/complete-step-step-guide-writing

"Ye shall know the truth... and it'll set you free (from years of wasted efforts) cool

Had a good read of the referenced article, Things may have changed over time for quite a number of reasons which include overwhelming amount of resumes for employers, Technological advancement and most annoyingly, the known fact of bad graduates with astonishing "written" resume.

People have copied and pasted so much Waakanda
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Evangkatsoulis: 2:43pm On Jul 23, 2019
Lamasta:
This is Nigeria some don't even have CV and they are getting good jobs not because they are qualified but because they have somebody at the top to connects them and also just pray your CV whether designed or not to the taste of the employer just pray your CV receive the favour of the employer or interviewer and You good to go.

How can someone doing a job not be qualified for it?
Re: 4 Professional Reasons Your CV May Not Get You A Job by Lamasta(m): 2:48pm On Jul 23, 2019
Evangkatsoulis:

How can someone doing a job not be qualified for it?
Ma guy na Nigeria you dey o look at the CJN of Nigeria without English and Maths in his O-level, read Islamic law and his the CJN of Nigeria tell me if You want to read Law today and You don't have English and Maths which university will admit You?
Don't let me go further just know somebody at the top how the appointment letter will come you will not even know cos your own na to resume work and start getting your salary

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Institute Of International Affairs Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / Internship @ Google Nigeria / Jobs In Nigeria Are For Children - If You Have Crossed 30 Move Ahead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.