Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,554 members, 7,837,120 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

"No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. (2059 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. / Why Are Nigerians Happy That Mend Is Destroying The Country? This Baffles Me! / Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by edoyad(m): 9:55am On Oct 15, 2010
Why we can’t classify MEND as  terrorist group, by EU

THE European Union (EU) commission in  Nigeria on Thursday disclosed why it could  not classify the Movement for the  Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) as a  terrorist organiSation. The EU noted that peace and security topped  its development cooperation with Nigeria as  the 2011  elections draw nearer. Fielding a question as to the possibility of  classifying MEND  as  a terrorist  group it said : “No, we will not brand MEND a terrorist  group. The EU would continue to support the  amnesty programme. Members of MEND have  come out to support the amnesty and  condemned the bombings. That is certainly  not for now, as for our support in the fight  against corruption, we have been behind the  EFCC, strengthening the operational capacity  and we have seen that its investigative  capacity has improved and we can only  strengthen the EFCC, the judiciary and all the  other  anti-corruption agencies. The  government of Nigeria still has the political  responsibility to ensure that best practices  prevail.” The EU has earmarked 56  million euros for  development  in its Country Strategic Paper ( CSP) and National Indicative Programme of  the 10 th European Development Fund (EDF)  and wishes it to be split between the sub- heads of migration as well as the fight  against drug trafficking and organised crime. But ahead of the 2011  general elections in  Nigeria, the EU maintained yesterday that the grants for good governance. . . . . . There is also the focal sector  where we are supporting to harmonise  elections, election assistance and election  observation missions in addition to our  assistance in the area of promotion of good  governance, the fight against terrorism,  tackling drug smuggling and money  laundering, ”. . . . .The content of the former  reflects on the will of most governments of  West Africa and the development packages  include areas of infrastructure. Yes, West  Africa is requesting  further support regarding the EPA development programme but we will  like to start implementing the development  programme first and then if need be, do a  review much later, ”

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26067:why-we-cant-classify-mend-as-terrorist-group-by-eu-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by Nobody: 10:39am On Oct 15, 2010
MEND was not responsible for the bombings. The true 'owners' of MEND have said this. Even Okah admitted he was never the leader of MEND.
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by Olaolufred(m): 12:41pm On Oct 15, 2010
If Okah also denied being Mend leader in court yesterday, nor knowing anything about the oct. 1 bombing,

Then who is behind it? Knowing ealier that Tompolo etal had denied same.

To me GEJ was too forward to have absolved MEND originally, but seems truth is coming closer.

From Okah's denial of the attack, it is clearer that it wasn't MEND who actually carried out the attack.
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by chosen04(f): 4:09pm On Oct 15, 2010
Shame to all those calling MEND a terriorist movement . . . . . . . . .

I love what MEND represents in Nigeria!
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by EzeUche0(m): 4:17pm On Oct 15, 2010
People ridiculed me when I said that Western Nations will not consider MEND a terrorist organization.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist, that MEND is a response to the neglect within the Niger Delta region and the East in general. Oil is present in the East, yet continue to be impoverished. It doesn't make sense!

It is OUR OIL!
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by Beaf: 4:23pm On Oct 15, 2010
EzeUche0:

People rediculed me when I said that Western Nations will not consider MEND a terrorist organization.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist, that MEND is a response to the neglect within the Niger Delta region and the East in general. Oil is present in the East, yet continue to be impoverished. It doesn't make sense!

It is OUR OIL!

You will find that those strange set of people who ridiculed you are the ones who never take time to educate themselves. They believe in rumour mongering, innuendo, beer palour gist and mama Sikira's fresh hot gossip.
You will also find that they are Henry Okahs new lovers and worshippers, because there is nothing consistent about that crew.
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by ochukoccna: 4:28pm On Oct 15, 2010
@ edoyad, How come 'mature' member like you come post like person whey just dey learn to use Internet? angry angry angry angry
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by tpiah: 4:34pm On Oct 15, 2010
[b]Common definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for a religious, political or ideological goal, deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (civilians), and are committed by non-government agencies.

Some definitions also include acts of unlawful violence and war. The history of terrorist organizations suggests that they do not select terrorism for its political effectiveness.[4] Individual terrorists tend to be motivated more by a desire for social solidarity with other members of their organization than by political platforms or strategic objectives, which are often murky and unde[/b]fined

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism

if you fit any of these definitions, then you're a terrorist.

doesnt matter what you say you're fighting for.
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by edoyad(m): 5:39pm On Oct 15, 2010
@ edoyad, How come 'mature' member like  you come post like person whey just dey learn to use Internet?

Nor mind me jare, i was posting from my phone and couldn't edit much. grin      grin                   
if you fit any of these definitions, then you're  a terrorist. doesnt matter what you say you're fighting  for.
Pumpkin take it from me that the MEND position is not a terrorist one. They're kind of similar to the black panthers back then in the US. If not how a kd boy(sic) like me would be giving them full support ?
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 15, 2010
At first I thought this thread was created by becommrich.
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by Onlytruth(m): 6:00pm On Oct 15, 2010
@Ileke-IdI

I need you to translate this Yoruba proverb:

ENI TO BA FI ORI RE FAGBON, KONI BAWON JE NIBE

I was from na2day! yesterday.

Thanks!
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by Nobody: 6:11pm On Oct 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

@Ileke-IdI

I need you to translate this Yoruba proverb:

ENI TO BA FI ORI RE FAGBON, KONI BAWON JE NIBE

I was from na2day! yesterday.

Thanks!

Lol  The person that uses his head to break open a coconut, he won't get to eat out of that coconut. Basically because his head will be broken too.
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by Onlytruth(m): 6:19pm On Oct 15, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Lol  The person that uses his head to break open a coconut, he won't get to eat out of that coconut. Basically because his head will be broken too.

hahaha!  cheesy grin cheesy

He used it to explain why Yoruba's don't fight for what they believe in like Igbos and Ijaws.

He was arguing that Yoruba's should stop thinking like that.

Well, the proverb makes sense only if the coconut is not threatening your life!

It may be a situation of damned if you do, and fkcd if you don't!

The Igbo on the other hand say that "adighi eji mgbagbu aghara ogu" -you should not avoid war because of a chance of being killed in it.  Quite a contrast.

Oh well, it is well.

Thanks for interpreting. Cool ladywink
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

hahaha!  cheesy grin cheesy

He used it to explain why Yoruba's don't fight for what they believe in like Igbos and Ijaws.

He was arguing that Yoruba's should stop thinking like that.

Well, the proverb makes sense only if the coconut is not threatening your life!

It may be a situation of damned if you do, and fkcd if you don't!

The Igbo on the other hand say that "adighi eji mgbagbu aghara ogu" -you should not avoid war because of a chance of being killed in it.  Quite a contrast.

Oh well, it is well.

Thanks for interpreting. Cool ladywink

I doubt yoruba dnt fight for what we believe in. We do that everyday.
Maybe na2day! was smoking sth or maybe he was refering to the method used to fight.

No problem.
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by babapupa: 7:04pm On Oct 15, 2010
I guess EU didn't get the memo or was under the rock when MEND bombed Atlas cove and killed scores of innocent Nigerians. Utter Rubbish. Talk about Oil Politics.
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by peacesak: 10:18pm On Oct 15, 2010
The EU are not bais like most of us nigerians. Lets be honest, most nigerians outside the niger delta have a bais against the niger delta militants because we all feel if the demands of resources control and self determination is implemented, it will be like removing food from our table because we all still solely depend on this oil. That is why you see everyone calling the militant all sort of names in order to discredit them. Since the niger delta is a minority region, people from other regions are able to shout them and their demands down due to the numeric advantage. But lets be careful what we do to our brothers. It is our attitude to our brother at times like this that reveals our true colours and that is what God will use to judge us. When Soaro wiwa was hanged by Abacha, he did it in the name of nigeria. In the name of all of us and true to form, most nigerians are playing the part. Everyone of us is guilty of destroying the niger delta and killing their prophets.
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by EzeUche0(m): 11:01pm On Oct 15, 2010
babapupa:

I guess EU didn't  get the memo or was under the rock when MEND bombed Atlas cove and killed scores of innocent Nigerians. Utter Rubbish. Talk about Oil Politics.

It does not surprise me that you would utter such nonsense. It is their oil. Get your own resource. Go back to growing groundnut. lol
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 16, 2010
EzeUche0:

It does not surprise me that you would utter such nonsense. It is their oil. Get your own resource. Go back to growing groundnut. lol

Does any of them have proof of their forefathers planting oil?

Oil belongs to Nigeria and all Nigerians no matter where it is found in Nigeria. It is a National Resource.

Anybody taking arms fighting the State because of oil is a terrorist. All this kidnapping, criminalities and bombings will stop when we all realise this.
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by Nsiman(m): 4:42pm On Oct 16, 2010
@ krendo, u mustn't be a fool in nigeria. Who is talking of coal, columbite etc that are found in nigeria, no one will go into that because its value is minimal. Oil belongs to the residents it is found in their soil,
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by Beaf: 4:51pm On Oct 16, 2010
krendo:

Does any of them have proof of their forefathers planting oil?

Oil belongs to Nigeria and all Nigerians no matter where it is found in Nigeria. It is a National Resource.

Anybody taking arms fighting the State because of oil is a terrorist. All this kidnapping, criminalities and bombings will stop when we all realise this.

The antics of a core Northern parasite in the mould of Tanko Yakasai, Ciroma, Kanti Bello, Kaita etc.
We will give you people loudspeakers to continue to broadcast your failure shamelessly. A group of elite who have made their people wandering beggers, while becoming stupendously wealthy personally, after ruling Nigeria for 39 of our 50 years - you are the terrorists.
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by babapupa: 7:16pm On Oct 16, 2010
EzeUche0:

Blowing up innocent people like the blood thirsty mend did in Lagos was a terrorist act. Now about oil, till you form your own separate nation, the oil belongs to Nigeria. To highlight your stupidity and ignorance, do you see local terrorists blowing up and killing people in Saudi arabia, in Mexico, in Libya or any oil producing nation because the oil is theirs? In any oil producing nation, oil belongs to the country, not the local location of the oil.

Not that I expect ignorant olodo like you peope to understand that basic fact.

You are killing innocent people oil over the place for some dumb nonsense while your leaders are having a good time and living large, even Henry okay is sitting on over a million dollars in SA. The only thing the clowns are fighting for is there pockets, and you dummies are sitting here talking rubbish.

Fools,
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by Nobody: 10:46pm On Oct 16, 2010
I had to commend EU for this until babapupa said somtin about oil politics.its a long and they are all fighting for their pockets.
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by Beaf: 11:10pm On Oct 16, 2010
babapupa:

Blowing up innocent people like the blood thirsty mend did in Lagos was a terrorist act. Now about oil, till you form your own separate nation, the oil belongs to Nigeria. To highlight your stupidity and ignorance, do you see local terrorists blowing up and killing people in Saudi arabia, in Mexico, in Libya or any oil producing nation because the oil is theirs? In any oil producing nation, oil belongs to the country, not the local location of the oil.

Not that I expect ignorant olodo like you peope to understand that basic fact.

You are killing innocent people oil over the place for some dumb nonsense while your leaders are having a good time and living large, even Henry okay is sitting on over a million dollars in SA. The only thing the clowns are fighting for is there pockets, and you dummies are sitting here talking rubbish.

Fools,

Why so many abusive words? It just makes you seem like you are covering the fact that you have no point to make.
If the oil is for Nigeria as you say, do all Nigerians share in the cancers, respiratory problems, acid rain etc that plague the people of the Niger Delta? Or is it just that conscienceless Nigerian governments, cheered on by a few equally conscienceless citizens like yourself, have not cared a jot about what happens to the health and wellbeing of the people whose lands and waters were forcefully seized to build the economy from which you benefit?

Nigerians hate each other and the oil problems go a long way to underline it. It really is a sorry state of affairs when foreigners show more respect for Nigerian aspirations than fellow Nigerians would. Another case in mind that shows our depth of hatred for one another (as long as we are from a different ethnic group) is the Jos crisis. The same rabid voice castigating Niger Deltans here, rather than express sympathy, posited that the dead were foolish for going to live in Jos.

To Niger Deltans, aware Nigerians and the EU, MEND is no terrorist group. Live with it. cool
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by bkbabe97y(m): 11:17pm On Oct 16, 2010
tpiah:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism

if you fit any of these definitions, then you're a terrorist.

doesnt matter what you say you're fighting for.

I should propose to Tpiah!
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by bkbabe97y(m): 11:20pm On Oct 16, 2010
EzeUche0:

People ridiculed me when I said that Western Nations will not consider MEND a terrorist organization.
It is OUR OIL!

Is this before or after you kill the Ijaws, chase them from their lands, and "force" a route to the Atlantic on behalf of the Ibos?

P.S: I guarantee you the U.S and Canada will classify them as terrorist if they are proven to have set off those bombs!
Re: "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. by edoyad(m): 1:48am On Oct 17, 2010
Is this before or after you kill the Ijaws, chase them from their lands, and "force" a route to the Atlantic on behalf of the Ibos? P.S: I guarantee you the U.S and Canada will classify them as terrorist if they are proven to have set off those bombs! Posted by: bk.babe97

Care to know whose side the US was during the biafaran war ?

(1) (Reply)

Abuja Prostitutes Find New Haven In Nasarawa / 'I Didn't Want To Be Black. So I Joined The Skinheads' -adewale Akinnuoye-agbaje / Pet For President Jonathan: Your Recommendation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.