Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. (10868 Views)

APC Not Responsible For Current Economic Hardship – Akpabio / Chima Okoro, Twitter User Who Predicted Abuja Attacks Deletes Account / "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Princek12(m): 5:48pm On Oct 02, 2010
In my own view, President Jonathan has effectively become the De facto spokesman for MEND. He said earlier that they were not responsible for yesterday's explosions in Abuja. Is this the president you guys want?

Jonathan says MEND not responsible for Abuja attacks
NAN
October 2, 2010 05:17PM
print  email   

President Goodluck Jonathan has said that terrorists were responsible for the bomb blasts that rocked Abuja yesterday contrary to claims that the act was perpetrate by the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND).

Mr. Jonathan made the claim in his opening address at the colloquium, organised today in Abuja by the ECOWAS Parliament, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of some African countries.

``What happened yesterday was a terrorist act and MEND was just used as a straw; MEND is not a terrorist group," the President said.

``The Niger Delta people are aware of the government's noble efforts to assuage the suffering and deprivation in that region.

``I am from the Niger Delta, my father's house is few metres from an oil-well, so nobody can claimto be a Niger Deltan than myself."

MEND, yesterday, claimed responsibility for the attacks. A few minutes before the blasts, the group sent an email to journalists and media companies warning of the impending violence.

"With due respect to all invited guests, dignitaries and attendees of the 50th independence anniversary of Nigeria being held today, Friday, October 1, 2010 at the Eagle Square Abuja, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) is asking everyone to begin immediate evacuation of the entire area within the next 30 minutes. This warning expires after 10.30Hrs," MEND spokesperson Jomo Gbomo said in the mail.

However, Mr. Jonathan has said this was a diversionary tact by the real perpetrators of the crime. He argued that no Niger Delta group would carry out such an act as it would affect the region's chance for development.

``It is erroneous to think that my people who have been agitating for good living will deliberately blow up the opportunity they have now,'' Mr. Jonathan said.

He also said the country's security agencies will be restructured to become proactive to guarantee the safety of lives and property.

``I pray for the souls of those who died to attain peace and fervently pray for those who sustain injuries in the blast to be healed,'' he said.

Back

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5626087-146/jonathan_says_mend_not_responsible_for.csp
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by sbeezy8: 5:57pm On Oct 02, 2010
I dont think he want to be president, anymore lol

It would have been better for him to say no genuine Niger deltan militant would carry out such act-as theyre not terrorist. There are definately MANY militants who are concerned with their own pockets,before the Niger deltan region and if paid millions OF DOLLARS would carry out bombings whether he is president or not.

Hes not even sure at that and commenting

Hes making himself seem small.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by denitro(m): 6:00pm On Oct 02, 2010
The way the bomb was placed, the distance and the place shows that the act was done by Amateurs, selfish people looking for attention.
All this are characteristics of MEND, no BUTs.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Kobojunkie: 6:04pm On Oct 02, 2010
denitro:

The way the bomb was placed, the distance and the place shows that the act was done by[b] Amateurs, selfish people looking for attention[/b].
All this are characteristics of MEND, no BUTs.

I doubt the part in bold. Seemed more like the planters did not want to disrupt or harm any of the politicians. The real targets were civilians,probably to cause commotion but make sure the event continued.

Considering MEND's history of conveniently avoiding actually harming politicians, I would not strike it off the list either.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by asha2: 6:07pm On Oct 02, 2010
The game is on
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Princek12(m): 6:12pm On Oct 02, 2010
Assuming, for argument's sake, that MEND was not responsible for the attacks, it is not Jonathan's business to defend MEND--regardless of whether you call MEND a terrorist organization or a freedom fighter organization. By reason of being from the Niger Delta, he somehow feels obliged to defend MEND. Very soon he will claim that MEND is not responsible for the kidnappings and sabotages to oil pipelines in the region. Give me a break, Mr. President.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Gbawe: 6:14pm On Oct 02, 2010
Haba Oga Jonathan !!! You are making things too easy for your many detractor who posit that you are naive, simple and a poor politician !!! When you are not emotionally joining issues with Raymond Dokpesi  and others , thereby cheapening the office of the Presidency , you are busy deliberately misconstruing what has being stated unequivocally already to heighten the panic and uncertainty permeating the land as we approach a chaotic period - election time. You are not the NSA . If MEND have taken responsibility for the bombing , and unless you prove otherwise beyond doubt, you have no business stating so soon that this is not the work of MEND. This reeks of sheer desperation . it is an indication of how you cynically play politics when you should lead firmly and decisively. You have calculated that it will not favour your electoral chances for many to think that the most prominent militant group from your own region are part of those willing to undermine you because they do not believe you have the ability to bring positive changes !!!!!  Suddenly , MEND is acting like Nairaland's Monkeyleg i.e Niger Deltans who have seen through your leadership mediocrity enough to speak/act against their own.

Mr.President, it is worrying that you are hasty to speak incorrectly when , as the Nigerian President , everyone expects you to be more circumspect, more assured and more reliant on actual results Nigerians can see that will inspire confidence in your leadership. Everyday , with every action, Nigerians will surely see that you are not up to the job.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by slap1(m): 6:18pm On Oct 02, 2010
MEND said they did it, GEJ said they didn't, which means he has alternative suspects. Let him come up with names, osiso.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Ehoi: 6:27pm On Oct 02, 2010
GEJ is playing this so smart. He wants to bring MEND to his side.

Those who planted the bombed didn't intend for anybody to die neither did they intend to totally disrupt the occasion. If MEND wanted innocent people to die, why did they give warning about the bomb at all? I am now convinced GEJ is a lot smarter than he looks. grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Nobody: 6:28pm On Oct 02, 2010
AS a president, this man surrounded himself with people who do not know their left from right. Who are his media people? Did they see GEJ's statement before he made it or did GEJ take them by surprise. I don't think this man is fit to b presido
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by tkb417(m): 6:30pm On Oct 02, 2010
MEND said they did, President says na lie

Wahala. Shey GEJ na member of MEND?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Princek12(m): 6:35pm On Oct 02, 2010
tkb417:

MEND said they did, President says na lie

Wahala. Shey GEJ na member of MEND?

Everything don scatter scatter. Who are we to believe?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by slap1(m): 6:41pm On Oct 02, 2010
Ehoi:

Those who planted the bombed didn't intend for anybody to die neither did they intend to totally disrupt the occasion. If MEND wanted innocent people to die, why did they give warning about the bomb at all? I am now convinced GEJ is a lot smarter than he looks. grin
Excuse my ignorance, sir, but I don't get your point. How did GEJ play smart with this statement?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Ehoi: 6:42pm On Oct 02, 2010
Princek12:

Everything don scatter scatter. Who are we to believe?
From what I gleaned from the article, it seems GEJ is MEND were not the original instigator of the whole plan and that  some element of MEND were used as pawns to do it.  GEJ knows if he can win MEND to his side, the niger delta problem will finally be solved.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Gbawe: 6:43pm On Oct 02, 2010
Ehoi:

I don't see anything "smart" about this move. I see sheer desperation that ignores commonsense , protocol and decorum. Jonathan is demeaning the office of the Presidency with this rash statement . A strong President will speak only after facts are established or after culprits are apprehended . We are so used to amateur political shenanigans in Nigeria that we do not even pause to look at how things are handled in civilised climes. MEND have claimed responsibilities for this. When was the last time , in the recent history of the World, have we seen a President going to tell the press , a day after a bombing , that those responsible , even if they have publicy taken reponsibility, are not the culprits? As a President , you must , at the very least be highly circumspect, in letting events play out before you preempt or sabotage investigations involving national security. Can you not see that this move exposes Jonathan as naive, reactionary and easily flustered? Believe me , all those working against Jonathan will be encouraged by the attention this bombing has generated . They will even be more pleased with Jonathan's inept and jittery response .
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by chyz(m): 6:44pm On Oct 02, 2010
His message should have been subliminal. He's a politician he should know this. My conception is that he wanted to let the politians involved know that he was on their trail;however, this wasn't a smart way in doing it.I guess thats why he keeps quiet most of the times. You never know how ignorant a person is until they open their mouth.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by bkbabe97y(m): 6:47pm On Oct 02, 2010
I confessed that I broke into your house, stole your Warhol paintings, smacked your moms in the face, rap*ed your Grandma (violently), killed and ate the family dog in front of your little kids. . . . .

You came home and told the police (even after hearing my confessions) that I wasnt responsible for any of the atrocities. . . .

Hey, who am I to complain?!?!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Ehoi: 6:49pm On Oct 02, 2010
slap1:

Excuse my ignorance, sir, but I don't get your point. How did GEJ play smart with this statement?
Though many militants took up the amnesty offer, there is no doubt that the problem of the niger delta is far from over because the main militant (MEND) refuse to join the process. And that is a big stumbling block. GEJ knows that fighting MEND will bring no good now or after he becomes president because MEND have the capability to make the life of any president miserable if they start their attacks on the oil equipments. He knows he needs to win the heart of MEND if he is going to succeed as president. And this his statement will go a long way to diffuse any anger within MEND. Besides, MEND never intented to kill anyone that is why I believe they gave a warning about the bomb. They not only gave warning, they gave specifics about where to look for the bombs i.e cars and dusbins.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by MShittu: 6:50pm On Oct 02, 2010
GEJ's moves seem to have been worsening progressively for the past week or two. I think that its a sign of incompetence and indecision, but I might be wrong. I just think that having a leader with any of these traits is bound to be a bit frustrating. And MEND wouldn't have taken the blame for the attack if it didn't carry it out. Its a move that might evoke unnecessary violence upon MEND and its members and ruin its chances of getting its demands fulfilled. Furthermore, I don't think that the SA gov't would've arrested Henry Okah if there wasn't enough evidence to prove MEND's involvement in the attack. I think that all the talk about the attack being politically motivated is just an attempt at making IBB look bad, not that he's good, but its just trying to make him look worse, I think.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Ehoi: 6:54pm On Oct 02, 2010
Ehoi:

From what I gleaned from the article, it seems GEJ is MEND were not the original instigator of the whole plan and that some element of MEND were used as pawns to do it. GEJ knows if he can win MEND to his side, the niger delta problem will finally be solved.
Completely disagree. A wise know chose the fight he gets involved with wisely.
It is a bad idea to get MEND tails up. The people in government know a lot of things you don't know.
One thing is for sure, they know trying fight MEND is like trying to grasp oil. The best option is to win MEND to your side and look into their demands.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Ehoi: 7:01pm On Oct 02, 2010
bk.babe97y:

I confessed that I broke into your house, stole your Warhol paintings, smacked your moms in the face, rap*ed your Grandma (violently), killed and ate the family dog in front of your little kids. . . . .

You came home and told the police (even after hearing my confessions) that I wasnt responsible for any of the atrocities. . . .

Lets put it this way. You are upset with your dad and started acting rudely and being destructive.
You have already assumed the kind of hard response your dad would come up with and you are prepared for it. But instead of calling you a bad son, your dad says you are a good boy and you only just missed your way a bit. Whatever anger that may be boiling inside you would just melt away. The bible says a soft answer melt great wrath.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by sbeezy8: 7:02pm On Oct 02, 2010
no one wants to win MEND ON THEIR SIDE- as far as most Nigerians are concerned mend is a terroritst group. - and Nothing from Jonathan can change the minds of most Nigerians.

Few are sympathetic towards Mend, BUT many are towards Niger deltans.

after federalism is granted which majority of the country wants- I doubt the militancy will stop immediately there will still be kidnappings and such.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by slap1(m): 7:05pm On Oct 02, 2010
Ehoi:

Though many militants took up the amnesty offer, there is no doubt that the problem of the niger delta is far from over because the main militant (MEND) refuse to join the process. And that is a big stumbling block. GEJ knows that fighting MEND will bring no good now or after he becomes president because MEND have the capability to make the life of any president miserable if they start their attacks on the oil equipments. He knows he needs to win the heart of MEND if he is going to succeed as president. And this his statement will go a long way to diffuse any anger within MEND. Besides, MEND never intented to kill anyone that is why I believe they gave a warning about the bomb. They not only gave warning, they gave specifics about where to look for the bombs i.e cars and dusbins.

I assume you're saying that MEND is more powerful than the federal government. I don't think so! GEJ should sit up and do something about his militant kinsmen. And saying he needs MEND by his side to suceed as president amazes me. I think that was a slip of tongue, or finger, on your part.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by MShittu: 7:05pm On Oct 02, 2010
Ehoi:

Lets put it this way. You are upset with your dad and started acting rudely and being destructive.
You have already assumed the kind of hard response your dad would come up with and you are prepared for it. But instead of calling you a bad son, your dad says you are a good boy and you only just missed your way a bit. Whatever anger that may be boiling inside you would just melt away. The bible says a soft answer melt great wrath.

But the thing is Goodluck didn't do that. He just went all out and said 'They didn't do it'. It would have been better if he had said 'We will discuss this matter with them and punish the individuals responsible for this atrocity'. But he gave them the green light and now they have virtually been given permission to go around bombing everywhere they feel like just because they know GEJ wont react positively.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Gbawe: 7:05pm On Oct 02, 2010
bk.babe97y:

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by ReachRich(m): 7:07pm On Oct 02, 2010
Oga Jona knows something we dont know.He is probably keeping mum because of the caliber of people involved in d bombing.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Ehoi: 7:07pm On Oct 02, 2010
sbeezy8:

no one wants to win MEND ON THEIR SIDE- as far as most Nigerians are concerned mend is a terroritst group. - and Nothing from Jonathan can change the minds of most Nigerians.

Few are sympathetic towards Mend, BUT many are towards Niger deltans.

after federalism is granted which majority of the country wants- I doubt the militancy will stop immediately there will still be kidnappings and such.
One man's terrorist group is another man's freedom fighter. Most people in the niger delta see them as freedom fighter and most people outside the niger delta see them as terrorist. It is quit obvious why. But know one thing, an ant will never be found innocent ( even if it is) in the gathering of chicken because if they do so, they won't have food for breakfast. GEJ is brave to come out and tell everyone MEND is not a terrorsit group. Wow, I know this will send the shivers down the spines of many people. With that statement alone, he has endered MEND to himself. What a smart move.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by slap1(m): 7:13pm On Oct 02, 2010
Ehoi:

I assume you take MEND as a group of obdurant kindargaten kids or some enraged village youths. I regret to say that these guys think ahead of the government and are out to deal with it. So if you believe some childish pranks will get to them then, sorry, get ready for suprizes.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by slap1(m): 7:18pm On Oct 02, 2010
Ehoi:

One man's terrorist group is another man's freedom fighter. Most people in the niger delta see them as freedom fighter and most people outside the niger delta see them as terrorist. It is quit obvious why. But know one thing, an ant will never be found innocent ( even if it is) in the gathering of chicken because if they do so, they won't have food for breakfast. GEJ is brave to come out and tell everyone MEND is not a terrorsit group. Wow, I know this will send the shivers down the spines of many people. With that statement alone, he has endered MEND to himself. What a smart move.
Mr. Ima Niboro, you're beginning to irritate me. What the hell does he gain by endearing MEND to himself?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by tkb417(m): 7:29pm On Oct 02, 2010
So what is gonna be the Presidents gain by endearing criminals to himself. Are they the untouchables now?

Na wa oh. Maybe I go need visa to travel to obodo oyinbo cos I don't wanna be bombed while walking down ma street
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Gbawe: 7:35pm On Oct 02, 2010
slap1:

Mr. Ima Niboro, you're beginning to irritate me. What the hell does he gain by endearing MEND to himself?

Indeed . Already , by holding brief for MEND , Jonathan is playing into the hands of political opponent who will be keen to highlight that Mr.President is a partisan leader who is wilfully eager to perjure himself , because he sees politics and region ahead of Nigeria,  by trying to exonerate MEND of wrongdoing when the group itself is happy to be held responsible for its own action. We saw how Jonathan acted partisanly in the Ogun State impeachment imbroglio recently and an image is forming , in the minds of Nigerians,  of a man who will play politics and gives in to bias when he should do what is best for Nigeria. Some response here is an indication of how poor the leaders and the led are in Nigeria. Jonathan , as a leader, performs this poorly yet those he leads still makes excuses for his inept action rather than understand that it will spell disaster for Nigeria !!!! Na wa OOOOOO !!! A politically desperate pronouncement is proclaimed as "smart" shocked shocked Mr.President should simply prove his mettle . If IBB, Gusau, Atiku or any other prominent politician is behind this then bring them to book promptly and spare us  the usual noise that is never matched with action !! You are the C in C of the Nigerian armed forces !!! Act like it and 'parade' suspects rather than make politically expedient noise and insinuation that makes it appear as if you are scared of certain people.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 02, 2010
What proof other than sentiments does he have to be opening mouth like this? undecided

tkb417:

So what is gonna be the Presidents gain by endearing criminals to himself. Are they the untouchables now?

Na wa oh. Maybe I go need visa to travel to obodo oyinbo cos I don't wanna be bombed while walking down ma street

Remain there o. According to some people innocent people must die for a new Nigeria. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari might not Win The Just Concluded Elections - Unbiased Analysis / PDP Convention: I’m Prepared To Work With Our New Officers – Jonathan / Ikpeazu To Give ₦1m For Information On Gunmen That Attacked Policemen In Aba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.