Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,876 members, 7,821,051 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem (1713 Views)

"No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. / Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. / Why Are Nigerians Happy That Mend Is Destroying The Country? This Baffles Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by Ibime(m): 6:55pm On Jul 14, 2008
I have sat back and watched as many on Nairaland have offered their opinion on the Niger-Delta issue, even when they have no experience of the place. I have heard that Yar'Adua is sending Warships to the Niger-Delta, and yes, that may solve the problem at the oilfields but it does not solve the problems at the pipelines. Unless Nigeria is willing to have a soldier stationed at every quarter-mile of pipeline, there is no way that Nigeria can solve this Niger-Delta problem by military means.

Being from PH, I have heard about all the kidnappings and it has also affected my friends and relatives. A lot of the boys I grew up with from Town and Borokiri now have their little gun gangs and are all into kidnapping and militancy. Basically, Port-Harcourt is now like Mexico City. Businesses are leaving, taking jobs away. I think the most important thing in the Niger-Delta now is security. Put simply, the place must be policed effectively. We have lost 1/5th of our oil production capacity. If MEND had blown up Bonga, we would have lost a further tenth of our capacity. This situation cannot continue.

As a Rivers man, I know for certain that there is only one force that can effectively police the area and that is MEND. In every political stand-off, it is important that the most organised and forthright local force is included in the solution. The only militant group with a political mission in the Niger-Delta is MEND. Why not bring MEND to the negotiating table, agree a deal for a fairer distribution of wealth and allow MEND police the place so that there are no further disruptions to our oilfields? Even if MEND wants 30% of the oil proceeds for the Niger-Delta, is it not worth it? We have already lost 20% of our capacity due to the unrest. We probably lose another 10% due to bunkering and piracy . . . and we may lose 50% if we continue to pursue this military course of action. I know MEND has been demonised in the media but from what I know, they are the only militant group condcuting themselves in the mould of a true liberation group. The rest of the groups are only after money. MEND has returned many Niger-Delta citizens to their families. Sometimes someone gets kidnapped by a gun gang and MEND issues an ultimatum to the kidnappers to return them or else . . . . and they always get returned. If MEND is given the resources to police the place, I believe we will see an end to these random kidnappings and security issues and oil production will get back to what it once was. . . I am interested to see what you guys have to say.
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by buchio7(m): 7:04pm On Jul 14, 2008
wow, wat a theory, u want to use the same ppl who blow up the pipeline to guard the same pipeline that they actually have been targetting, dat cld work!!!! why dont we also hand over the lifting of crude to them to do and bring the money to the nigerian coffers also cause since they can guard the place they can equally safeguard the transaction of the crude the pipeline is transporting,

i too have lived in p.h. and it pains me a lot to see that beautiful town reduced to a theater of war games but the truth be told mend shd not be involved in securing any oil installation within nigeria, in the long run even in the immediate time it will be a costly mistake
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by bibiking1(m): 7:26pm On Jul 14, 2008
you are an slowpoke,
and more worrisome is the fact that your theory points to a man that would certainly end up being a psychopath killer
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by tpia: 7:47pm On Jul 14, 2008
so many conflicts all over Africa. undecided
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by Ibime(m): 9:15am On Jul 15, 2008
Trust all the idiots to jump in chatting nonsense. Go and ask the Americans how they have managed to stabilise the Iraqi problem - by engaging with the local forces - the same forces who were blowing them up. Go and ask the British how they managed to stabilise Basra whilst the Americans were struggling in Baghdad. They stabilised Basra by making the local militants and warlords a part of their system of government.

It is a well known tactic that the British have employed over the years. Who brought peace to Northern Ireland? Was it not the same Sinn Fein and Loyalist party who were the cause of the conflict in the first place? Do you think the British Government could have brought stability to Northern Ireland by use of arms? I don't know if Nigerian Government play war games - but any war game should produce the same result - a total destruction of our oil facilities. This is not a hare-brained theory. This is a tried and tested formula that has worked in many conflict regions. MEND will police the area if the Nigerian government come to the negotiating table. Simple as.

Like I said, you may be able to secure the oil installations but you cannot secure the pipelines. MEND has the peoples ears. They have the local knowledge, the logistics and they have goodwill. If they decree that nobody should touch any oil installation or pipeline, the people will obey.
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by buchio7(m): 9:48am On Jul 15, 2008
what is dis guy talking abt sef? havnt u been following the trends there in iraq? its not working, by d way dat is iraq and this is naija , dont mix up diverse issues,

bunkering is at the heart of issues faciong the niger-delta and a lot of these so-called "liberators" are well known bunkerers and u r proposing to let them guard the pipelines moving crude, ? who is d idiot nw?
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by Ibime(m): 10:28am On Jul 15, 2008
MEND attacked Bonga oil platform - or did they? They did not kill anyone, they released their American hostage unconditionally and they did not blow up the platform - or they would have cut 1/10th of Nigerias capacity right there and then. So any reasonable fellow (unlike yourself) should ask - was it a political statement or a rebel attack? A man has a gun to your head but he refuses to pull the trigger. The message is - we can hurt you if we want but we would rather negotiate. MEND are not barbarians and MEND does not act randomly unlike the other gun gangs roaming Niger-Delta. Unfortunately idiots like yourself cannot tell the difference between an emancipation group and a gun gang because Naija media has brainwashed you to believe that every militant attack is from MEND.

And yes, there are many parallels between Iraq and Naija. It is the same thing - conflict resolution. You resolve conflict by incentivising all interested parties. I believe that the Iraq situation is a lot better now that the local warlords have been co-opted into the government process. The British never had this problem because they did it from the start. The Yankees went in with the attitude of "lets send em all to hell". . . and it took about three years for them to realise that that strategy does not work. It is said that the greatest mistake made by the allies was the disbanding of the Iraqi army. Despite the fact that the army fought against the, the army would have maintained peace after the invasion was complete. Same scenario with MEND.
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by ow11(m): 12:38pm On Jul 15, 2008
@Ibime

While I think you made a good point. I would like to add; what assurance MEND would give us that the criminals are not their boys? Isn't Soboma and others part of MEND? Would using MEND as a vigilante not put power in the arms of a militia and give them legal authority to abuse the power when they finally get it?

I remember when everyone applauded bakassi boys for killing armed robbers until they became thugs for people. Wouldn't MEND become political thugs operating legally?

I would believe that a responsible govt would seek to negotiate with MEND as regards disarmament. Let MEND provide intelligence for the Police and Army to finish off the criminals running loose in the area. Thereafter, try to solve one or two problems in the area. Nigerians don't ask for much just no more corrupt governors and LGA chiarmen.
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by Ibime(m): 12:50pm On Jul 15, 2008
ow11:

@Ibime

While I think you made a good point. I would like to add; what assurance MEND would give us that the criminals are not their boys? Isn't Soboma and others part of MEND? Would using MEND as a vigilante not put power in the arms of a militia and give them legal authority to abuse the power when they finally get it?

I remember when everyone applauded bakassi boys for killing armed robbers until they became thugs for people. Wouldn't MEND become political thugs operating legally?

I would believe that a responsible govt would seek to negotiate with MEND as regards disarmament. Let MEND provide intelligence for the Police and Army to finish off the criminals running loose in the area. Thereafter, try to solve one or two problems in the area. Nigerians don't ask for much just no more corrupt governors and LGA chiarmen.

Yeah . . . . you are right . . . .normally, Nigerian Government would enter talks as regards disarmament. . . .but I don't think Naija-Delta people would accept non-Ijaws policing the place hence I suggested that MEND should be turned into a peace-keeping force. I also do not think that Nigerian soldiers or Police would be sufficiently incentivised to maintain law and order. I am sure you know that there are many Nigerian soldiers participating in oil bunkering as we speak. On top of that, Nigerian soldiers will not be used to the terrain and the locals will not co-operate with them if they are looking for vigilantes. But MEND have all these logistical facilities in place.

The fact is that Ijaws are not looking for a seperate state. Our borders are too porous and we would not be able to defend ourselves. We want to be part of Nigeria but Nigeria must give us our due. I think that MEND should be brought under the government wing and have an official position within government. Then, you will not see any break-off groups causing trouble like Soboma George did because it will be suicidal to do so. The people at the top of MEND are educated and highly organised and most importantly, they have the interest of the locals at heart so I do not think that it will become a powerful militia group abusing its power. It is already a powerful militia group and can abuse its power if it wants. it does not need the Nigerian Governments assistant to help it do that.
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by buchio7(m): 3:58pm On Jul 15, 2008
The problem in the niger delta is resolvable with 2 appraoches,

1) let there be massive development of the area by the govt using the already developed masterplan by the nddc (which is pretty good)

there is no need for a summit to discuss d problems cause it is d most discussed zone in nigeria history,

2) move the military in and weed out all criminal elements within the region, (as of today the military in the true sense of the word have nt been given a green light to move in )

when the ppl see that govt is serious in developing there land there is no way they can support such criminals masquerading as freedom fighters ,

bringing mend into the equation will definitely be counter productive if nt immediately then futuristically, all dis yarn abt parleying mend is sad
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by otokx(m): 5:38pm On Jul 15, 2008
buchio7 is making some sense
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by Ibime(m): 6:41pm On Jul 15, 2008
buchio7:

The problem in the niger delta is resolvable with 2 appraoches,

1) let there be massive development of the area by the govt using the already developed masterplan by the nddc (which is pretty good)

there is no need for a summit to discuss d problems cause it is d most discussed zone in nigeria history,

2) move the military in and weed out all criminal elements within the region, (as of today the military in the true sense of the word have nt been given a green light to move in )

3.) when the people see that govt is serious in developing there land there is no way they can support such criminals masquerading as freedom fighters ,

4.) bringing mend into the equation will definitely be counter productive if nt immediately then futuristically, all this yarn about parleying mend is sad

1.) How long is this development phase?

2.) Oh, so you haven't even started the development and you already want the military to move in? So if the military had been given the green light (despite no development seen), your theory would still hold? The fact is you would love the military to go in right now and exterminate all those Ijaw bastards who are slowing up your country's money - but I'm sorry, any military strategist would hence conclude that you are a fool - Unfortunately, we are holding your oil hostage. (By the way it is OUR oil, not yours under true fiscal federalism). Sorry mate, but if you want a war, your economy has to go on holiday for a few seasons.

3.) OK - so the people will invite you with open arms despite seeing no development abi? At the same time you cannot carry out any development whilst those darn militants are still on the ground. WOW! Very insightful comments by your esteemed self. You seem to be in a bit of a quandry there.

4.) The people ARE MEND

You have no clue.
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by buchio7(m): 6:49pm On Jul 15, 2008
Ibime:

1.) How long is this development phase?

2.) Oh, so you haven't even started the development and you already want the military to move in? So if the military had been given the green light (despite no development seen), your theory would still hold? The fact is you would love the military to go in right now and exterminate all those Ijaw bastards who are slowing up your country's money - but I'm sorry, any military strategist would hence conclude that you are a fool - Unfortunately, we are holding your oil hostage. If you want a war, your economy has to go on holiday for a few seasons.

3.) OK - so the people will invite you with open arms despite seeing no development abi?

4.) The people ARE MEND

Shameless liar! Stop hiding your true intentions. You wish those ragtag Ijaw rebels would stop bringing shame on your country and allow you to keep eating, don't you. You have no clue.

Kai, !!! ur post just proves to me dat d youths of today really need to change d way dey reason, by ur choice of words i believe u shd be either in ur teens or trying to clock 20 in which case i would just assume dat u r just trying to grow out of puberty, wat my bros wld call "youthful exuberance"

the fact still remains dat partnering with mend is a non-issue dat is going to be catastrophic for d region and d nation at large,

my proposal has yet to be discounted by more reasonable minds,

happy 21st birthday in advance Ibime grin grin grin
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by Ibime(m): 7:07pm On Jul 15, 2008
Wow, duck the issue why don't you? I have just shown you how harebrained your proposal is and you have nothing to defend yourself but throw insults.

Your proposal would have worked 13 years ago - when Saro-Wiwa was agitating for 'development'. Unfortunately, we have past that stage now. The region is too militarised for that. OBJ has been trying your proposal for the last 8 years and the situation has only gotten worse.
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by buchio7(m): 7:14pm On Jul 15, 2008
U r really amazing, now i am insulting u? kai u really need a reality check,

anyway, where did u get this story dat it had been tried b4? u see u dont even follow news, it has never been tried whereby dere is massive development (i dont mean t.v./radio propaganda)is unleashed in the niger delta, so get dat clear

i repeat (4 ur emphasis) that d niger-delta region unrest can be solved when d govt starts developing d region and con-currently starts using d military to weed out d bunkerers ,kidnappers e.t.c. who go abt claiming to be liberators

by d way who told u i am dodging issues? d fact is dat u havent made a point dat is worthy of a cogent reply, chikena!
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by buchio7(m): 7:17pm On Jul 15, 2008
Ibime:

4.) The people ARE MEND

grin grin grin grin who is harebrained now?
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by Ibime(m): 7:24pm On Jul 15, 2008
Listen oga, no one is against development. But there is no development after war. You are proposing military action and then development - reality check: there will be no money for development after military action because the economy will be brought to its knees by the military action. Thank God we have leaders who are wiser than to implement your proposal. By the time military action is finished, even people in Lagos will be suffering from famine.

My proposal was simple - engage the militants in a productive way, bringing peace to the area, then carry out the development. I pinpointed MEND as the only militant group capable of being engaged by the Government (infact they are the only group BEING engaged) unlike all the other random militant groups. So who is harebrained now?
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by doyin13(m): 7:53pm On Jul 15, 2008
Interesting idea, but ultimately fraught with all kinds of peril.
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by buchio7(m): 9:08am On Jul 16, 2008
Ibime:

Listen oga, no one is against development. But there is no development after war. You are proposing military action and then development - reality check: there will be no money for development after military action because the economy will be brought to its knees by the military action. Thank God we have leaders who are wiser than to implement your proposal. By the time military action is finished, even people in Lagos will be suffering from famine.

My proposal was simple - engage the militants in a productive way, bringing peace to the area, then carry out the development. I pinpointed MEND as the only militant group capable of being engaged by the Government (infact they are the only group BEING engaged) unlike all the other random militant groups. So who is harebrained now?

u dont use a cat to guard a fish against another cat, even though u feed d initial cat with milk, one day he will like to change his diet and the first point of call will be d fish u gave him to guard, dat is wisdom bros not emotions running on testosterone,

and please dont turn on its head wat i said, if u had read my quote (which i seriously doubt) i said developement comes hand in hand with using d military to weed out d criminals masquerading as freedom fighters,
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by otokx(m): 12:55pm On Jul 16, 2008
any government that can successfully dualize the east west road from Lagos up til cross river abi akwa ibom would have reduce the agitation by half. We need development to reduce this millitancy. Right now the government of Rivers state is construction more ring roads are fly over in Port Harcourt but such efforts should be replicated in other towns across the region. The rivers state government is construction and expanding federal roads with its own state allocation hoping against all odds to get a refund from the federal government. That was how the state government loaned money for the reopening of the Port Harcourt Airport which was closed down illegally by OBJ and till today there is no talk of the refund.
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by ow11(m): 1:03pm On Jul 16, 2008
otokx:

That was how the state government loaned money for the reopening of the Port Harcourt Airport which was closed down illegally by OBJ and till today there is no talk of the refund.

Odili had a very big say in closing that airport. If not how do you explain the sudden appearance of arik air immediately after the airport was shut down. Pronto, Odili's plane has monopoly of flights into PH at 2ce the normal fare and half the baggage allowance. You would have to cough out close to 30k to fly into PH.They kept saying NAF base, which kind NAF base. Arik air built their mini airport in 1 year!
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by otokx(m): 1:10pm On Jul 16, 2008
but odili could not have closed down an international airport owned by the federal government without the input of people high up
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by SkyBlue1: 1:10pm On Jul 16, 2008
@Ibime, Ijaw will not allow anyone else, so is Ijaw the only group in the Niger Delta? The premise you suggested was though open to abuse and could be seen as flawed, was initially interesting but as your posts progressed all that began to suffice was yet again tribalism. What message will the federal government be sending to everyone by negotiating with people who have been terrorising their own region? So the message would be what exactly, if you have a grouse to settle turn vigilante and you will get what you want? The irony of the situation is that if oil dissappears tomorrow no one will want to bring any business to the Niger Delta region because of the massive inseucrity that has been publicised around the whole world. Talk about bad marketing, imagine my shock when i saw Niger Delta issue making front page in "the independent" last week. What on earth would make MEND a trustworthy group to make such negotiations with? The word of MEND should just be taken? Personally i don't see any credibility in MEND, i would have if they worked to go after the former state governor in the name of Peter Odili and to seek redress for all he did. However, a group that was flirting with thesame government that robbed its people, stifled development, killed its people, etc, is the group that we should all be taking seriously? What was MEND doing when all this was happening? "Freedom fighters", oh please. I happen to see a better idea in @buchio7's suggestion which was an obvious route anyway if the government was serious. There is no need for another summit. Just do it already.
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by Ibime(m): 2:58am On Jul 17, 2008
Sky Blue:

@Ibime, Ijaw will not allow anyone else, so is Ijaw the only group in the Niger Delta? The premise you suggested was though open to abuse and could be seen as flawed, was initially interesting but as your posts progressed all that began to suffice was yet again tribalism. What message will the federal government be sending to everyone by negotiating with people who have been terrorising their own region? So the message would be what exactly, if you have a grouse to settle turn vigilante and you will get what you want? The irony of the situation is that if oil dissappears tomorrow no one will want to bring any business to the Niger Delta region because of the massive inseucrity that has been publicised around the whole world. Talk about bad marketing, imagine my shock when i saw Niger Delta issue making front page in "the independent" last week. What on earth would make MEND a trustworthy group to make such negotiations with? The word of MEND should just be taken? Personally i don't see any credibility in MEND, i would have if they worked to go after the former state governor in the name of Peter Odili and to seek redress for all he did. However, a group that was flirting with thesame government that robbed its people, stifled development, killed its people, etc, is the group that we should all be taking seriously? What was MEND doing when all this was happening? "Freedom fighters", oh please. I happen to see a better idea in @buchio7's suggestion which was an obvious route anyway if the government was serious. There is no need for another summit. Just do it already.

Guy, you are talking like this situation is in black and white. . . . MEND is corrupt. . . so is every other organisation in Nigeria. . . .the question is which group can get the job done? . . . .you are asking me why MEND did not go after Odili. . . well, Odili is the chief sponsor of Tom Ateke's Niger Delta Vigilante Force (who by the way are the source of 90% of the illegal militant activities attributed to MEND, including the burning down of my village). . . Ow11 mentioned that Soboma George was a member of MEND. . . . that just goes to show you the disinformation in Nigeria because Soboma George is a break-off of NDVF. . . . now, as a MEND strategist, is it in your best interests to get sidetracked by a bloody internal struggle with the NDVF or to concentrate on your main objectives which is the emancipation of your people? . . . . I will let you answer that one. . . .remember that NDVF is a creation of PDP and MEND have no business fighting them when there are more pressing issues.

Secondly, I am not for one moment suggesting that MEND should be given free rein to police the area . . . of course, I expect heavy regulation from the Nigerian Government to keep MEND in check . . . . in the same way that the Americans regulate the Iraqi police. . . Now check this out - there are several Warlords in Iraq (Mahdi army, tribal leaders etc). . . .they are all corrupt, all deadly. . . but the Americans have made alliances with some of them in order to keep the others in check. . . and the Americans regulate their actions. . . . this is the same thing I am suggesting for the Niger Delta.

When I say the people ARE MEND, I am not being tribalistic. My father recieves phone calls from his pals all the time and I tell you that every one of them is behind the MEND movement and they all say the Ijaw people are behind it. Even the Oyinbos know that the Ijaws are fully behind MEND . . . you can read this. . .

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/West_Africa/BehindMask_NigerDelta.html

I do not know about the affiliations of the other ethnic groups in Niger-Delta so do not accuse me of being tribalistic. Ijaw IS MEND. I stated that I wanted Niger Delta to remain part of Nigeria and I stand by that.

Now, you say that Buchio7's suggestion is the best option . . . really?. . . Any economist would tell you that there is no amount of 'development' which would provide an adequate trade-off for a quick N10m gained from a kidnapping job or an oil bunker. Just 4 weeks ago, my friends father was kidnapped and the militants asked for N200m. He bargained it down to N15m and they released his pops on payment of N10m. Unfortunately, the militants have developed a taste for these quick gains and cannot be weaned off it by any level of 'development' that Nigeria has to offer. Even a First-World country would struggle to provide the kind of development that would disincentivise militancy. Devlopment is not the immediate priority but security. There is NO security to be guaranteed from a military invasion of the Niger Delta. That will only lead to insecurity and National poverty. Therefore Buchio7's suggestion is a no-no from the jump. It would have worked 13 years ago during Saro-Wiwas time but not now.

As I said, the Nigerian Government IS negotiating with MEND (maybe thanks to US and UK intervention). My brother in-laws friend was a lawyer for Asari-Dokubo and he reported having several meetings with Obasanjo and Odili. So, the Government also believes that there is no solution without negotiation. QED.

I quote from a website: The militants’ cause has also been hijacked by criminal gangs who kidnap the wives and infant children of civilian officials. Being tainted and associated with such elements makes the militants appear like bandits.

This statement applies wholly to MEND. Yes MEND do blow up oil installations, yes they kidnap oil workers - but they do not kidnap civilians - that is press misinformation.

Anyway, like I said, MEND is the only relatively forthright group in the Niger Delta and if the Nigerian Government want to come to a resolution, negotiations with MEND are the best way forward. I know many educated Professionals who are fully behind MEND and who contribute to their cause. A lot of them are friends of my father - and MEND do not take action without consultation with these guys.

So ask yourself this question. Who is causing all this insecurity in Rivers and Bayelsa. Is it:

a.) MEND

b.) NDVF (Illiterate thugs hired to secure Okrika LGA for PDP in 2003 elections)

c.) Unafiliated militant gangs

d.) Nigerian Government aka PDP who sponsored the NDVF

When Soboma George was wreaking havoc in PH last year, they blamed it all on cultists because he is a cultist. What they conveniently failed to mention was that he was a PDP hired gun. They also failed to mention that the whole of Rivers State House of Assembly (all PDP) are Vikings. Unfortunately, people drew the conclusion that MEND was the cause of the problems because it is the only well known militant group. infact, the Nigerian Government contributed wholeheartedly to the rise of militancy and illegal profiteering in the region.

NDVF was created by the Nigerian Government to cause confusion and distract the peoples of the Niger Delta from their cause. We never heard of kidnappings of civilians and violence against our own people till they came on the scene. Like I told you, they burnt down my village simple because of Odilis antipathy toward Rufus Ada-George who is my townsman. They have painted the Niger Delta in a bad light and reduced the place to a hot mess. Many militant groups have sprung up since then due to the rich pickings on offer and everything is blamed on MEND.

Unfortunately, this is not new. In 1995, to distract the Ogoni from their struggle, the Government created an artificial war between the Ogoni and Okrika due to disputes over land rights. Okrika was armed by the Government and easily defeated Ogoni in that war. This is a common tactic of the Nigerian Government - to throw confusion into the mix - just like they did with the NDVF.

That is the last I will say on this matter. I hope you have a better picture of what is really happening because it is easy to label everyboy as ragtag militants and profiteers without knowing the local politics, the interests and intentions of all the political subgroups.
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by SkyBlue1: 6:30am On Jul 17, 2008
@Ibime with the way you speak of MEND you seem to liken it to some government parastatal, unfortunately you still failed to answer my question.

Sky Blue:

Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by buchio7(m): 6:51am On Jul 17, 2008
still running around in circles, no way can mend be a trustworthy security outfit for guarding pipelines cause it has also benefitted from bunkering,

all dese other info is well known "turenchi" which everyone or anyone who has lived in p.h. knows and have known since 2003,

what is needed is nt hanging on to d past bt careful assesment on how to move forward and giving mend power to secure pipelines is nt d way forward
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by Ibime(m): 11:44pm On Jul 17, 2008
Prof Frynas of Middlesen University says that any development to be carried out in the Niger Delta is "too little, too late."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4617658.stm

Quote:

This is supposed to use oil money to improve the region's infrastructure, such as schools and health clinics and to create jobs.

But Prof Frynas says it seems to be "too little, too late".

"A lot of the efforts have been bogged down in corruption and inefficiency. Still very little money has trickled down to the people."

Lemme ask you guys - who is the leader of MEND? Does anyone here know any member of MEND except for Henry Okah?
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by SkyBlue1: 6:46am On Jul 18, 2008
@Ibime, and your point exactly is?
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by otokx(m): 1:57pm On Jul 18, 2008
What he is trying to say is that anything short of a massive infrastructural development within a short duration will not suffice
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by Ibime(m): 3:01pm On Jul 18, 2008
Sky Blue:

@Ibime, and your point exactly is?

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9298&Itemid=0

Quote:

HE is a militant leader with a difference; he does not believe in hostage taking , rather, he specializes in bombing oil pipelines to grind the economy to a halt, and he had no apologies for the countless oil installations he and his possessed men have blown up in the Niger-Delta over the years. Welcome to the trigger-pulling planet of Victor Ben, who is known in the militant world as General Boyloaf.

The Joint Task Force (JTF) on the Niger-Delta with headquarters at David Ejoor Barracks, Effurun, Delta State, in a classified report, last year, to the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), said he (Victor Ben) comes into sight as the “most organized militant boss in Bayelsa State and also the only militant boss in the state with solid credentials of being accredited to the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger-Delta (MEND).”

So like I said, you do not know any member of MEND. How can you judge what you do not know? No member of MEND has terrified local citizens of PH. All they are concerned with is the Niger Delta struggle. All the people wreaking havoc in the state are NOT members of MEND. Soboma George and Tom Ateke are NOT members of MEND. Asari-Dokubo claims to be a member of MEND but this has not been confirmed. Henry Okah and Victor Ben are the only known members of MEND - and when was the last time you heard that they attacked Nigerian citizens or heard their name connected to any internal disturbance in Rivers or Bayelsa? Yet, everytime you hear or an explosion of an oil installation, it is ALWAYS carried out by MEND. So who is the 'freedom fighter' and who is the 'profiteer'. MEND does not concern itself with PDP politics and feudalistic thuggery, rather the focus of their operations is strictly focused on foreign oil companies. They are a very highly organised underground group. My fathers friend, a Professor is their chief advisor, although I will not reveal his name. These are people who have a respect for their people and who are solely concerned with the struggle and their leaders are university graduates (including Victor Ben), not illiterate thugs.

What you guys do not know is that the Nigerian Government have already suggested my proposal ot MEND but they flatly refused because the proposal did not include a fairer deal for the Niger Delta people and they refused to be used as a tool of oppression against their own people. Their message is: Yes we will guard the pipelines but only after our people have a fairer deal.

Further Quotes:

He did not spare some of his colleagues for betraying the struggle. He castigated those who woke up overnight in the region because of nothing to do, and opened militant camps to make money, saying that it is those people that gave the struggle a bad name. He contended that the plan by the Federal Government to hire militants to protect oil pipelines in the region would end in disaster, as the life of any militant that acquiesced to such an arrangement is not safe. In all, Boyloaf came across to Sunday Vanguard, during our three-hour stay in his base, as an activist with a sense of reason and bearing in his self- chosen deadly assignment.
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by Orikinla(m): 3:07pm On Jul 18, 2008
So only MEND can mend the Niger Delta?

The fact is the Niger Delta crisis can end within a month.

The people responsible for the Niger Delta crisis are not more than 500.
I can name them all.
They are still at work and they are getting richer while their victims are getting poorer.

They are both serving and retired senior military officers and their civilian partners in crime since 1979 to date.
They have been engaged in illegal oil bunkering and shared our oil blocks among themselves and they also shared the oil contracts.
Then they invested their billions in the top Nigerian banks.
Many of them are the largest shareholders in the banks.

[size=14pt]All we need is a Jerry Rawlings kind of revolutionary executioner to arrest these criminals and prosecute them. Then  confisticate all the local and foreign accounts and properties of those found guilty and give them a life sentence. [/size]

A simple probe of all the government contracts and allocation of oil blocs and largest shareholders in the banks will show us these crooks and rogues.

These criminals know themselves.
Re: Mend Is The Only Peaceful Solution To The Niger-delta Problem by Orikinla(m): 3:14pm On Jul 18, 2008
I have noticed the absence of female members from this topic and many of them do not discuss these important issues. But call the topic romance or sex in the Niger Delta and hundreds of them will rush to comment.
Bur most of them are beneficiaries of these plutocrats directly and indirectly.

I will start a thread on SEX IN THE NIGER DELTA and you will see what I mean.

(1) (2) (Reply)

24 Nigerians Were Deported From Equatorial Guinea . / Lagos State Moves Against Landlords / Jonathan Presents 4.5tr Budget To Assembly Next Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.