Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,808 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator (42488 Views)

Woman Collapses, Dies In Mile 2, Lagos / Doctor Assaults Senior Nurse In FMC, Owerri / Bayelsa Diagnostic Center At Imgbi, Yenogoa (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Famocious(m): 5:21pm On Jul 27, 2019
EVILFOREST:
I learnt he COLLAPSED outside the hospital and not inside.
He was rather rushed to the HOSPITAL for progressive resuscitation.
And I learnt RESUSCITATION lasted for several hours.
Really UNFORTUNATE.
Could have happened to anyone

The only functional defibrillator in the state is located in the state house ..

So sad.
We got to hear about his story because he's a medical doctor

Hundreds of thousands of Nigerians are dying daily from deaths that are avoidable

3 Likes

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by BruncleZuma: 5:21pm On Jul 27, 2019
Alzirida:
Lol..

That is not the real reason.
How many doctors in Nigeria are trained to use Defibrillator?
Having AED is one thing knowing how to use it is another.

If he actually had a shock in presence of other doctors, good CPR would have save him before getting to level of needing AED.
The moment u call for AED and found out there is none, the colleagues should have put him in Ambulance to another private facility where there is AED.
U guys just wasted time and life of this doctor

For Bayelsa state?
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by planetx: 5:22pm On Jul 27, 2019
People collapse and die in advanced countries hospitals even with defibrillators present. A defibrillators might not necessarily have saved him.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by enemyofprogress: 5:22pm On Jul 27, 2019
SLAP44:

grin grin
everything una go dey blame us village people, una no know sey we too get our constraints?
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Saheed9: 5:23pm On Jul 27, 2019
enemyofprogress:
no be we o do am o. We no see money to even chop not to talk of travelling there to kill him and as we dey raining season now, we no fit fly there because rain must not touch our wings, for now we just dey operate locally inside Abeokuta near seun house
this isn't funny bro
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by enemyofprogress: 5:24pm On Jul 27, 2019
Saheed9:
this isn't funny bro
no be we o do am o. We no see money to even chop not to talk of travelling there to kill him and as we dey raining season now, we no fit fly there because rain must not touch our wings, for now we just dey operate locally inside Abeokuta near seun house
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Comedian2019: 5:24pm On Jul 27, 2019
Alzirida:
Lol..

If he actually had a shock in presence of other doctors, good CPR would have save him before getting to level of needing AED.
The moment u call for AED and found out there is none, the colleagues should have put him in Ambulance to another private facility where there is AED.
Wasting patient's time and lives is the common thing in most public hospitals.
I rather treat myself than going to a general hospital.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by famzynet: 5:25pm On Jul 27, 2019
Really sad.
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by tayo4ng(m): 5:26pm On Jul 27, 2019
If a doctor can die like this, we are in for it in this country.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 27, 2019
Alzirida:
Lol..

Well, we medics are trained in how to use a defibrillator...and if one does not know, one attends a CME programme that offers such training.(some cost some money)

Youtube and the internet help refresh memories

The problem is that defibrillators cost money....and most hospitals in Nigeria cannot afford them. When the National health budget is below N900billion for over 50 odd teaching hospitals, and hundreds of primary and secondary care level hospitals....

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Sannerosm: 5:28pm On Jul 27, 2019
K

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by sulasa07(m): 5:28pm On Jul 27, 2019
EVILFOREST:
I learnt he COLLAPSED outside the hospital and not inside.
He was rather rushed to the HOSPITAL for progressive resuscitation.
And I learnt RESUSCITATION lasted for several hours.
Really UNFORTUNATE.
Could have happened to anyone
"Resuscitation for several hours",Are they trying to bring Satan to Life
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 27, 2019
Having a dfefibrillator might not have saved the doctor's life.

If the doctor 's heart rhythym had not been 'shcokable' (and a good defibrillator should be able to access whether rhytym is shockable or not)....CPR would have to be continued.

On the other hand, most of us doctors don't look after our heath well. (And that includes moi). We work long hours, eat poor diet, don't exercise, and live hard. And then we collapse from a heart attack.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Ugosample(m): 5:32pm On Jul 27, 2019
planetx:
People collapse and die in advanced countries hospitals even with defibrillators present. A defibrillators might not necessarily have saved him.

so many avoidable death happen in NiggerArea

And its wrong
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by myfan: 5:32pm On Jul 27, 2019
RIP Sir.
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by kayusely70(m): 5:33pm On Jul 27, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Are you sure they had an ambulance or defib, in another hospital?

Our health sector is in a state of coma..........
After paying the humougous salary to our politicians little or nothing is left for social amenities, i still maintain it our economy cant sustain the presidential system for long.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 27, 2019
sulasa07:

"Resuscitation for several hours",Are they trying to bring Satan to Life

Rule no 1 of CPR....you do it for as long as possible till the patient's heart starts beating again (and if you are tired, someone takes over from you)

And speaking as a medic...I have assisted in some CPR's,(including one which lasted for about over an hour...and left me with back ache for a week...ouch). Some pateints die, some survive.

Fabrice Muamba, the ex-footballer, surviuved a heart attack partly because of continous, sustained CPR of over 2 hours.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Ugosample(m): 5:33pm On Jul 27, 2019
Naijafull19:
Having a dfefibrillator might not have saved the doctor's life.

If the doctor 's heart rhythym had not been 'shcokable' (and a good defibrillator should be able to access whether rhytym is shockable or not)....CPR would have to be continued.

On the other hand, most of us doctors don't look after our heath well. (And that includes moi). We work long hours, eat poor diet, don't exercise, and live hard. And then we collapse of heart attack.

it's too bad

it goes to show that the welfare of the doctors are not taken care of....

I really feel sorry for doctors
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Flier: 5:34pm On Jul 27, 2019
StrikeBack:
Who should we blame??
The dead doctor Ofcourse because I am sure hundred of his patient have died because of the particular equipment but he didn’t bother to complain or quit the job until it’s provided and now they suddenly remember that they do not have the equipment because it involve the doctor and his life is more precious
Nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by fedora04: 5:36pm On Jul 27, 2019
A lot of this deaths are avoidable. Just the other day a woman collapsed during their secondary school reunion in Benin City. She should have survived if there was a defibrillator nearby.

Now this Doctor.

Just to mention I sell medical equipments and a good AED cost 420000(Four Hundred and Twenty Thousand NAIRA)

This type can be used at home and other public places. The government should make it mandatory for public buildings to have one.

A manual AED cos nothing less than 700k. One now wonders why a hospital cannot boast of one

I pray we wake up to worth really matters

You can send me A message if your company or organisation will like to have one.

My tots

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 27, 2019
Ugosample:

so many avoidable death happen in NiggerArea

And its wrong

No, a defibrillator might not have saved him if his heart rhythym was not shockable

Basically in a situation like this, you have four types of heart rhythym....ventricular fibrillation, pulseless ventricular tachycardia, pulseless electrical activity and asystole. The last two cannot be shocked by a defibrillator...so continous CPR is the only hope (plus some medication).

When one uses a defibrillator...the defibrillator, once attached, asseses for the heart rhtythym...and if it is an asystole or a PEA...the defibrillator is 'useless' so to speak.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 27, 2019
Ugosample:

it's too bad

it goes to show that the welfare of the doctors are not taken care of....

I really feel sorry for doctors

Vote for polticans who would promise to spend 25% of the budget on healthcare. wink
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by penjm: 5:38pm On Jul 27, 2019
I thought is only in film that the thing is useful oh, because na there I deh see am.
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by famzynet: 5:38pm On Jul 27, 2019
Alzirida:
Lol..

Stop displaying ignorance.Even if you are the CMD of that hospital,we are talking about government putting things on ground to prevent avoidable deaths. What if he had Ventricular fibrillation (VF) or AF? The AED or deffibrillator takes precedence over the CPR and would have saved him. In developed countries, strategic places people gather have AED,even some super markets have AED. And a whole FMC Yenagoa does not have one. How do you expect general hospitals to have when teaching hospitals don't have one.

Also , if you don't know how to use defibrillator or AED,talk for your self and don't generalize. A lot of Nigerian doctors have personally funded themselves in ACLS which equip them to use that. You can't tell me that all doctors in that meeting can't use AED if it was available. Nigerian doctors despite harsh conditions are knowledgeable than you think.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 27, 2019
fedora04:
A lot of this deaths are avoidable. Just the other day a woman collapsed during their secondary school reunion in Benin City. She should have survived if there was a defibrillator nearby.

Now this Doctor.

Just to mention I sell medical equipments and a good AED cost 420000(Four Hundred and Twenty Thousand NAIRA)

This type can be used at home and other public places. The government should make it mandatory for public buildings to have one.

A manual AED cos nothing less than 700k. One now wonders why a hospital cannot boast of one

I pray we wake up to worth really matters

You can send me A message if your company or organisation will like to have one.

My tots

1. Budgets for most government hospitals are tight.

2.I won't be surprised if it was paid for..and someone chopped the money

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by fedora04: 5:41pm On Jul 27, 2019
Other AED pix

Contact me for enquiries..

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by bpalace(m): 5:41pm On Jul 27, 2019
Alzirida:
Lol..

ode, u sabi pass all the political doctors at the scene... mtchew

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Lexusgs430: 5:43pm On Jul 27, 2019
kayusely70:
After paying the humougous salary to our politicians little or nothing is left for social amenities, i still maintain it our economy cant sustain the presidential system for long.

All sectors of the economy has been ignored......... The only sector they protected well, was their wages, expenses and benefits...........

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 27, 2019
Ihutomi:
These are avoidable deaths,RIP,but I think NMA in that chapter can tax them selves and get one for the hospital is realistic.

What do you call a doctor who buys consumables and other items for the government hospital he is working for?

Broke.

(I'm not joking).

That's why we have a Health ministry, and a government, and ....

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Yankee101: 5:44pm On Jul 27, 2019
Alot of people that die in Africa need not at the time they did.

An AED costs less than 1m but even big teaching hospitals have no functional ones. But the CMD will ride in a convoy of cars worth more than 20m.

My people perish for lack of wisdom

5 Likes

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Cmanforall: 5:44pm On Jul 27, 2019
kenddys:
Nigeria is gone

A federal medical centre does not have defibrillator but government house clinic has one

There was a country!
What an irony.

sad

Government officials can't give their lives for the people they serve. No more selfless service.
The government officials are to be saved while the masses suffer. What a country!

PS: Contact me for top quality defibrillators and any other accurate heart monitoring devices.

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 27, 2019
Yankee101:
Alot of people that die in Africa need not at the time they did.

An AED costs less than 1m but even bog teaching hospitals have no functional ones. But the CMD will be riding in a convoy of more than 20m.

My people perish for lack of wisdom

Many teaching hospitals in Nigeria might have an AED...but it is usually placed in the ICU or the Theater where it is needed

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Drug Abuse: How It Started Vs The Outcome. Can Youths Ever Say No To Drugs? / Coronavirus Daily Live Updates / Pregnancy Symptoms You Should Never Ignore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.