Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,634 members, 7,958,906 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 07:08 AM

Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator (42712 Views)

Woman Collapses, Dies In Mile 2, Lagos / Doctor Assaults Senior Nurse In FMC, Owerri / Bayelsa Diagnostic Center At Imgbi, Yenogoa (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by mokane28: 7:31pm On Jul 27, 2019
You read my mind dear, I'm sure the deceased doctor is also non chalant about such vital medical equipments being in place in all hospitals
Flier:
The dead doctor Ofcourse because I am sure hundred of his patient have died because of the particular equipment but he didn’t bother to complain or quit the job until it’s provided and now they suddenly remember that they do not have the equipment because it involve the doctor and his life is more precious
Nonsense
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by bryanyaouh581: 7:39pm On Jul 27, 2019
StrikeBack:
Who should we blame??
Government
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by RexTramadol1: 7:51pm On Jul 27, 2019
planetx:
People collapse and die in advanced countries hospitals even with defibrillators present. A defibrillators might not necessarily have saved him.

Yeah but it would have meant all means to save him we're exhausted
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 27, 2019
Flier:
The dead doctor Ofcourse because I am sure hundred of his patient have died because of the particular equipment but he didn’t bother to complain or quit the job until it’s provided and now they suddenly remember that they do not have the equipment because it involve the doctor and his life is more precious
Nonsense

Just noticed your comment.

The thing is...we medical doctors have gone on strike several times over several issues, one of which happens to be lack of adequate equipment in our government hospitals.

The problem is the Press only focuses on the salary aspect.

And every time, the government tells us no money, no money....

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by MarieSucre(f): 8:01pm On Jul 27, 2019
kennedyIheme

CONSTRUCTIVE
WHY did this doctor die at this hospital?

HOW can we set up an effective system that would ensure that no one else has to die in the manner that he did?

DESTRUCTIVE
Why are Nigerians always backward and why are there no good health facilities that are not death trap? It's because it's bout own fault and we are corrupt and our politicians are corrupt and we destroyed ourselves. Full stop... and everybody should do business in empty hospital buildings(lol okay I added that part jokingly).

Okay and?? What next.

Don't be part of the problem.

Be part of the solution.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by jumpmasta(m): 8:33pm On Jul 27, 2019
Alzirida:
Lol..

That is not the real reason.
How many doctors in Nigeria are trained to use Defibrillator?
Having AED is one thing knowing how to use it is another.

If he actually had a shock in presence of other doctors, good CPR would have save him before getting to level of needing AED.
The moment u call for AED and found out there is none, the colleagues should have put him in Ambulance to another private facility where there is AED.
U guys just wasted time and life of this doctor
stop exhibiting your crass ignorance

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by sizer07: 8:36pm On Jul 27, 2019
Enoch07:
doc dying!!
funny tin is, I'll be 30 in two months time but I've never seen dat instrument in my life in any hospital, clinic, pharmacy, health center or any where for dat matter in Nigeria abi na d wrong country I dey?

Hmmmmm bros no be only you oh.I have seen it a countless time on foreign movies. I had never tough for once it been use for cardiac arrest attack, but I know it resuscitate humans back to life,having seen in d movies . But never since it any where above those place you mention in Nigeria. We are finished in this country. That one wake ups to see another day in this country is by divine grace of God.that's why it very important you pray every morning you wake up, thanking God to be alive.a Dr die in hospital due to lack of defibrillator.my first time of coming across this name that I had to quickly Google and see what type of equipment it is. God help us

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by higgs: 8:42pm On Jul 27, 2019
How much is a defibrillator? This country is something else.If You are told how much was allocated to that hospital, you will be amazed.
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by drI: 8:43pm On Jul 27, 2019
Flier:
Nonsense

you are really being insensitive with this statement. how do you know it's never been raised? when Doctors/lecturers go on strike what do you think they are trying to protest for? whether it's a doctors life or not involved, the bottom line is that we, the masses should rise up and challenge the government. This is not time to spread hate and disunity. lets challege the statusquo. lets protest, let's protest for a defibrillator in all hospitals, all public places. Lets unite and get our voice heard.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by dapiluv: 8:55pm On Jul 27, 2019
May his soul Rest In Peace
Na so we see am for Nijia where everything struggle to work.
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by juniorstar(m): 9:03pm On Jul 27, 2019
Berrra pass ur boards and japa. B4 u pai like foul

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by BLUEJAYY: 9:06pm On Jul 27, 2019
juniorstar:
Berrra pass ur boards and japa. B4 u pai like foul
Mehhhn!
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by cococandy(f): 9:13pm On Jul 27, 2019
AED is part of basic CPR. What do you mean how many Nigerian doctors are trained to use it?
Which BLS class doesn’t teach how to simply turn on the machine, attach the pads and let the AED prompt on what next to do I.e when to shock or not?

Can’t believe you think this post makes sense.

Also CPR and AED go side by side. There’s no ‘level of AED’ per se. they either need a shock or they don’t. If they don’t need a shock, it’s probably even worse because they might be in asystole AKA flatline or a pulseless electrical activity.

Don’t misinform.

Alzirida:
Lol..

If he actually had a shock in presence of other doctors, good CPR would have save him before getting to level of needing AED.
The moment u call for AED and found out there is none, the colleagues should have put him in Ambulance to another private facility where there is AED.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by cococandy(f): 9:15pm On Jul 27, 2019
I can’t believe she thinks that her post made sense

And 20 ignoramuses liked it. On here you just need to act like you know what you are saying and people will believe you.
HBB1:

I felt like saying something vile, but it's all good.

You however need to know that an idiot can use an AED-- it is AUTOMATED!

Note that Chest compressions can only do so much for a shockable rhythm. Defribillation is the most important index, and the farther away from the cardiac arrest, the less the chance of survival.
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Bimpe29: 9:18pm On Jul 27, 2019
Nigeria needs deliverance, nothing is fairly working.

That was however, saddening.
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Flier: 9:28pm On Jul 27, 2019
drI:

you are really being insensitive with this statement. how do you know it's never been raised? when Doctors/lecturers go on strike what do you think they are trying to protest for? whether it's a doctors life or not involved, the bottom line is that we, the masses should rise up and challenge the government. This is not time to spread hate and disunity. lets challege the statusquo. lets protest, let's protest for a defibrillator in all hospitals, all public places. Lets unite and get our voice heard.
But they know how to go on strike if the air condition isn’t working or they want increment in salary? Ask yourself,why they can’t go on strike because of all these equipment? Why the life of a common man isn’t important? Would you have heard anything if he wasn’t a doctor ? And how come they just remember it now that it involve a doctor? What of hundreds of patient who are dead as result of such equipment?is their life not precious?Just go and think,those doctors are selfish
My sister died because of doctors negligence,she was SC and needed blooded transfusion immediately, you can’t believe those useless doctors says they can’t do anything about it till morning even though the blood banks works 24hrs and there was enough money on us to buy blood
We lost her 2 hours later which was around 2am

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by factwriter(m): 10:08pm On Jul 27, 2019
Alzirida:
Lol..

Are u a medical personnel?
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Insectkiller: 10:09pm On Jul 27, 2019
Naija people with blame game shocked shocked

Na wa oo ; tongue
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by MrEgghead(m): 10:10pm On Jul 27, 2019
udomoh:
Doctor collapses & dies in FMC Yenogoa because of lack of defibrillator…

The late Dr. Stephen Ijeuwe was a resident doctor @ FMC, Abeokuta.

He suffered a cardiac arrest and died in FMC Yenogoa due to lack of defibrillator.

Being a secretary of ARD Abeokuta, he was in FMC Yenogoa for NARD NEC meeting.

Medical doctor and social media influencer Dr. Olufunmilayo left many people shocked after he narrated the story of how a doctor, Dr. Stephen Ijeuwe, died inside a hospital – According to the story, the doctor suffered a heart attack and collapsed but there was defibrillator to resuscitate –

According to reports, the incident occurred in a Federal Medical Center where the deceased went for NARD meeting.

Dr. Stephen was the Association of Resident Doctors Secretary, Abeokuta branch. Before his death, he was a resident doctor in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Federal Medical Centre, Abeokuta.
It is no news that the state of health facilities in Nigeria is in shambles and the story of how a doctor collapsed and eventually died inside a hospital, only seems to remind people how dangerous the implications of not having proper health care facilities really is.

According to Twitter user @DrOlufunmilayo, a doctor recently died after he suffered a cardiac arrest and died inside the hospital after hospital staff could not provide a defibrillator to shock him back to life.
He wrote: “A doctor collapsed yesterday inside a hospital. And a whole “Federal Medical Centre” did NOT have a defibrillator (a machine that shocks the heart to revive it) They travelled to GovtHouse Clinic to borrow one. By then, the doctor died. See, human life has NO value in Nigeria.

The National Association of Resident Doctors( NARD) statement on the tragic death

“On behalf of NARD NECOMM, NECOUN and entire resident doctors all over the country,the President Of NARD Dr Olusegun Olaopa (PSO) commiserates with Ijeuwe Family ,ARD FMC Abeokuta and NMA Ogun State on the death of *Dr Stephen Ijeuwe*(Secretary ARD FMC Abeokuta)

*He died while participating actively in the ongoing JULY NEC in Yenagoa*

Until his death, he was a registrar in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology FMC Abeokuta.

Your loss has deeply saddened us but be rest assured that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Please accept our heartfelt condolences from NARD and May God rest his soul”. �

Dr Anthony CHUKWUNONSO UDE
Sec Gen NARD

According to Dr.Olunfunmilayo, “a defibrillator is a basic life saving equipment. It should be like paracetamol or cotton wool in any hospital. Here in the UK, petrol stations, cinemas, football stadiums, games arena, train stations, etc all have a defibrillator. But in Nigeria, an FMC doesn’t have it. Shame. I can’t get my head round it”.

“This is a doctor who collapsed IN A HOSPITAL.

Not outside a hospital.

Yet the most important equipment to save his life was nowhere available.

This hospital has patients on their wards- if anyone collapses- that’s the end too. We are in deep shit.

When people collapse outside hospital, the advice we always give is “rush them to the hospital” If a hospital doesn’t even have something as basic as a defibrillator, how is that an hospital?”

“Nigeria treats human lives with levity and watches its citizens die like chickens.

The shameful part is NO investigation or changes will be made to correct this clear madness.

That same FMC in Bayelsa will still NOT get any defibrillator, it would be a lot of “Eya” and “na wa o”, and life continues till the next person dies”.

“This is a disgraceful country.

I sincerely pray God would console and comfort this young doctor’s family IF it was a sane country- that young doctor, just like millions of Nigerians who die avoidable deaths- could have been saved. Nigeria kills people and only brings tears to their families.

It is saddening.” He said.

https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/07/26/doctor-collapses-dies-in-fmc-yenogoa-because-of-lack-of-defibrillator-photo/?amp
We're devastated right now...He inspired me to study Medicine.. I looked up to him. His mum is broken, His Dad is downtrodden... He's the pillar of the Family...This life sha!
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Gudlite: 10:31pm On Jul 27, 2019
What a pity, but people should learn to take. Care of themselves.Everything is not village people.Besides Evil operations,Ignorance, age and lifestyle are the major reason for such death.For more details chat me up on 07017779718
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Yohh: 10:33pm On Jul 27, 2019
Alzirida:
Lol..

U too dey jump, when not a kangaroo.
CPR was on for 2hours.
Besides, are u implying those looking for a defribillator don't know how to use it?
Keeping mute at times is better than commenting.
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by showafrica(m): 10:58pm On Jul 27, 2019
Alzirida:
Lol..

See how confident you sound in the med field... Instead of you to carry ur intelligence and big nyash enter big brother you are wasting it here. Tacha no fine pass you na may be you are a nurse

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by otokx(m): 11:26pm On Jul 27, 2019
Naijafull19:

Whcih department was this by the way? (no ulterior motive...want to know?)

Radiology
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by dochenaj: 1:02am On Jul 28, 2019
Alzirida:
Lol..

Using a defribillator is no big deal, knowing when to use it is the major issue.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by dochenaj: 1:06am On Jul 28, 2019
I think medical doctors must stop running hospitals that don't have basic facilities. A defribillator is very basic and is essential.

How could a tertiary hospital not have a functioning ICU and the medical director is complacent about it?

Things like this are things that doctors should strike about.
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Elouise: 8:01am On Jul 28, 2019
Naijafull19:

Rule no 1 of CPR....you do it for as long as possible till the patient's heart starts beating again (and if you are tired, someone takes over from you)

And speaking as a medic...I have assisted in some CPR's,(including one which lasted for about over an hour...and left me with back ache for a week...ouch). Some pateints die, some survive.

Fabrice Muamba, the ex-footballer, surviuved a heart attack partly because of continous, sustained CPR of over 2 hours.
how long can the brain last without oxygen? BTW, you might assume that all medic know to do CPR but this is false. The programmes to trained health workers on these skills should be done frequently like every other month. In fact, in medical schools too!

1 Like

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by titosantana(m): 8:08am On Jul 28, 2019
Is it possible for a 37 years old man to die of cardiac arrest?
Rip Dr. Stephen.
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Nobody: 8:29am On Jul 28, 2019
Elouise:
how long can the brain last without oxygen? BTW, you might assume that all medic know to do CPR but this is false. The programmes to trained health workers on these skills should be done frequently like every other month. In fact, in medical schools too!

1. Part of the CPR regimen involves someone giving breaths into the lungs through the nose...sometimes via an AMBU bag...(we are taught the protocol...Airway, Breathing, Circulation)

2.We are taught this in university as medical students by the way...and CME's exist. Some hospitals do inhouse training.
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by afrodoc2: 11:30am On Jul 28, 2019
Flier:
But they know how to go on strike if the air condition isn’t working or they want increment in salary? Ask yourself,why they can’t go on strike because of all these equipment? Why the life of a common man isn’t important? Would you have heard anything if he wasn’t a doctor ? And how come they just remember it now that it involve a doctor? What of hundreds of patient who are dead as result of such equipment?is their life not precious?Just go and think,those doctors are selfish
My sister died because of doctors negligence,she was SC and needed blooded transfusion immediately, you can’t believe those useless doctors says they can’t do anything about it till morning even though the blood banks works 24hrs and there was enough money on us to buy blood
We lost her 2 hours later which was around 2am

This is just misdirected and misguided hate.
Doctors have gone on strike several times over both lack of quality equipment/facilities and poor remuneration.
It’s just that the press and the government highlight the remuneration aspect of it.

If you consider the lack of support from the government in terms of training, equipment, and facilities Nigeria-based doctors are generally to be commended.
As long as people like you continue to blame the doctors instead of channeling your anger at the people who are cheating us all i.e the governments and hospital administrations
NOTHING will change.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by OdefaGirl(f): 4:09pm On Jul 28, 2019
The MD there, the Procurement officer, and those concerned should also be blamed not just the country, they won't fail to take their own share of their allowances and salaries, even the side tips that they get/steal yet procuring the equipment must wait for d country... SMH.

And oh yes, they won't still buy it even if it means taking 2% from everyone's salary.
Re: Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator by Ebydarling: 10:19pm On Jul 28, 2019
It's a pity how that young man died. It was a very sad and cold day in our facility. Please lets take care of ourselves and do regular check ups. May his soul find rest.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sorrow As Gallant Mopol Who Survived Many Battles, Dies Suddenly. Photos / Mad Man Drinking Beer In Imo State (Photos) / Coronavirus: Research Reveals Where It Lingers, How To Kill It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.