Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years (14014 Views)

Why I Slumped During Ministerial Screening – Balarabe / Ministerial Screening: Lawan Asks Amaechi To “Take A Bow” / Ministerial Screening: Uchechukwu Ogah Screened By Senate, Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by pressmanng: 4:00pm On Jul 28, 2019
The Nigerian Senate had the longest session in the last 20 years of its existance on Friday, the made the sacrifice in order to ensure smooth screening of Ministerial Nominees of the president Buhari.

The Senate was supposed to go on official leave by Thursday because they traditionally hold session from Tueday to Thursday but because of the list of ministerial nominees they received from the president they stayed in order to screen them and extended their working days to Friday and will continue with the Screeening by Monday.

The Senate agreed to give former legislative on the ministerial Nominees list special treatment by not asking them question and allow them to take a bow and go, the special treatment was also extended to female Nominees.

After Friday Session, President of the senate, Ahmad Lawal took to his twitter handle and thanked his colleagues for their sacrifice.

He said "Since my twenty years in the parliament, I have never witnessed such an unusual situation where Senators will seat a day-long to perform their legislative duties, screening ministers. I want to thank my colleagues for the immense sacrifice they made in this regard."

Nigerians have since mocked the senate president for his comments.

One of those who reacted to the tweet, @FFagishtee said, “You people are the most exotic legislators in the world… Give me 1/3 of your salary and I’d work till midnight…”

Another one said he would become a robot and work “40 days and 40 nights” if paid the bogus salary the lawmakers earn.

Lanre, with the handle @Cappy_son, said the lawmakers had not done anything special. “This ain’t no sacrifice, It’s duty call,” he said.

Another Nigerian with the Twitter handle, @alphaolive, said: “I would have suggested that you should gather them (ministerial nominees) in one day and allow them to recite the second stanza of our national anthem and thereafter ask them to take a bow. After all, none of you knows the portfolio they would be deployed. This submissive collaboration will affect Nigeria much.

“Apologies sir, they are overpaid, pampered Nigerians. They should put in a good shift like the butcher in Sabo market, yam seller in Ketu market or vegetable seller in Bodija market. We must stop taking Nigeria for granted. So for 20 years, you have worked half-day for a full days wages,” tweeted Babatolly with the handle @babatolly.

Some, however, commended the lawmakers for their diligence.

Martyns Opuruichei Nsirim with the handle, @MartynsNsirim, said: “Finally, Nigeria have gotten the fit and proper Senate president whose interest is to move the nation forward working in unity with the other arms of govt. This is how democracy works. No arm is totally independent of each other. With this spirit of yours, the future looks bright.”

@Lawman283 said the 9th assembly is the Senate Nigeria has been longing for.

“The Senate we having been longing for…hardworking, synergizing with the executive arm and being firm at the same time for the good of Nigerians. Well done to you SP and also your colleagues,” @lawman283 tweeted.

https://www.pressmanng.com/2019/07/ministerial-nominees-nigerian-senate.html?m=1

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by whela(m): 5:00pm On Jul 28, 2019
So seating for a day is now an achievement... This ppl should fear God ooo.. Compare to ur fat allowee and entitlements... Is Wat u did even screening

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by Lamasta(m): 8:17pm On Jul 28, 2019
Nigerian rubber stamped Senate we hail thee grin

5 Likes

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by LoveJesus87(m): 8:17pm On Jul 28, 2019
This country doesn't look real at times. Almost like a dumb nollywood movie. You are collecting more than 30 million# a month and you are "thanking" them for doing upto one tenth of their job
Just tell me it was a ridiculous movie because IF that is true, then the time for Revolution has COME!
This country needs to be scrapped and everybody go their way. SIMPLE

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by lathrowinger: 8:17pm On Jul 28, 2019
Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by chibike69: 8:18pm On Jul 28, 2019
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by Iamgrey5(m): 8:18pm On Jul 28, 2019
Gatemen do more for less

Police officers stand in the hot sun to collect 50 naira bribe to deliver to their buss

So what is the big deal. ! cheesy

The most unproductive arm of the government appreciating themselves for doing next to nothing.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by kings59: 8:18pm On Jul 28, 2019
Always made sure you read Nairaland rules before commenting grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by Richdad50(m): 8:18pm On Jul 28, 2019
shocked

If you spend your time discussing Nigerian politics, you aren't discussing the behaviour of intelligent people. One reason why I stopped doing it.

Richdad

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by iyallancy84: 8:18pm On Jul 28, 2019
Just sitting asking irrelevant questions becomes an achievement. spat.my dear country!
Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by Thisis2raw(m): 8:19pm On Jul 28, 2019
So Lawan has been in the senate for 20yrs,
Same old crooks
Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by InaNla(f): 8:19pm On Jul 28, 2019
Useless & clueless Sinate.
Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by InaNla(f): 8:20pm On Jul 28, 2019
Richdad50:
cool

Typing gibberish as usual undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by omoadeleye(m): 8:20pm On Jul 28, 2019
I hope you know how much they will be sharing in just one sitting like that? So they would always like to spend their eternal on screening

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by Prex320(m): 8:21pm On Jul 28, 2019
visit joseph smart library for free ebooks [url][/url]www.jslonline.com.ng
Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by blowjohn(m): 8:21pm On Jul 28, 2019
whela:
So seating for a day is now an achievement... This ppl should fear God ooo.. Compare to ur fat allowee and entitlements... Is Wat u did even screening

U didn't echo ur mind.
Let me help u out.
This people are maaad o!
What glorified nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by Richdad50(m): 8:22pm On Jul 28, 2019
Tranny
InaNla:

Typing gibberish as usual undecided
Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by InaNla(f): 8:23pm On Jul 28, 2019
Richdad50:
Tranny

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by Arizonaguy(m): 8:25pm On Jul 28, 2019
pressmanng:
The Nigerian Senate had the longest session in the last 20 years of its existance on Friday, the made the sacrifice in order to ensure smooth screening of Ministerial Nominees of the president Buhari.

The Senate was supposed to go on official leave by Thursday because they traditionally hold session from Tueday to Thursday but because of the list of ministerial nominees they received from the president they stayed in order to screen them and extended their working days to Friday and will continue with the Screeening by Monday.

The Senate agreed to give former legislative on the ministerial Nominees list special treatment by not asking them question and allow them to take a bow and go, the special treatment was also extended to female Nominees.

After Friday Session, President of the senate, Ahmad Lawal took to his twitter handle and thanked his colleagues for their sacrifice.

He said "Since my twenty years in the parliament, I have never witnessed such an unusual situation where Senators will seat a day-long to perform their legislative duties, screening ministers. I want to thank my colleagues for the immense sacrifice they made in this regard."

Nigerians have since mocked the senate president for his comments.

One of those who reacted to the tweet, @FFagishtee said, “You people are the most exotic legislators in the world… Give me 1/3 of your salary and I’d work till midnight…”

Another one said he would become a robot and work “40 days and 40 nights” if paid the bogus salary the lawmakers earn.

Lanre, with the handle @Cappy_son, said the lawmakers had not done anything special. “This ain’t no sacrifice, It’s duty call,” he said.

Another Nigerian with the Twitter handle, @alphaolive, said: “I would have suggested that you should gather them (ministerial nominees) in one day and allow them to recite the second stanza of our national anthem and thereafter ask them to take a bow. After all, none of you knows the portfolio they would be deployed. This submissive collaboration will affect Nigeria much.

“Apologies sir, they are overpaid, pampered Nigerians. They should put in a good shift like the butcher in Sabo market, yam seller in Ketu market or vegetable seller in Bodija market. We must stop taking Nigeria for granted. So for 20 years, you have worked half-day for a full days wages,” tweeted Babatolly with the handle @babatolly.

Some, however, commended the lawmakers for their diligence.

Martyns Opuruichei Nsirim with the handle, @MartynsNsirim, said: “Finally, Nigeria have gotten the fit and proper Senate president whose interest is to move the nation forward working in unity with the other arms of govt. This is how democracy works. No arm is totally independent of each other. With this spirit of yours, the future looks bright.”

@Lawman283 said the 9th assembly is the Senate Nigeria has been longing for.

“The Senate we having been longing for…hardworking, synergizing with the executive arm and being firm at the same time for the good of Nigerians. Well done to you SP and also your colleagues,” @lawman283 tweeted.

https://www.pressmanng.com/2019/07/ministerial-nominees-nigerian-senate.html?m=1

Too bad...this ain't the senate we need to move our country forward
This senate is nothing but a crop of charlatans championing and celebrating mediocrity

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by macarson2k(m): 8:29pm On Jul 28, 2019
whela:

As if they are not paid for it.
Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by unityresource: 8:33pm On Jul 28, 2019
Why the screening, when we all new you can't reject any of them.

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by Flier: 8:34pm On Jul 28, 2019
macarson2k:

As if they are not paid for it.
i think we should commend them for doing the right thing for once
No one can stop them if they decided to go on recess and come back in September to screen the ministers. Beside,you guys should stop comparing these ministers to your lazy self, they are hero in their various fields

3 Likes

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by unityresource: 8:34pm On Jul 28, 2019
Why the screening, when we all knew you can't reject any of them.

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by ABCthings: 8:36pm On Jul 28, 2019
Booked
Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by Seun360(m): 8:39pm On Jul 28, 2019
Wait o, this man don spend 20yrs for Senate?
Na only em dey for em Senatorial District ni?
Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by Angelfrost(m): 8:51pm On Jul 28, 2019
So, we should do what exactly? Clap for them?...

Who pushed this to Fp?... You guys can sha test one's tolerance. undecided
Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by Abeyjide: 8:53pm On Jul 28, 2019
when there was nothing like seriousness
Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by oluwasegun007(m): 8:54pm On Jul 28, 2019
You are stressing yourself because you have to complete the process before baba leave the country..

So you want us to clap for you..
Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by flowx(m): 8:55pm On Jul 28, 2019
Lamasta:
Nigerian rubber stamped Senate we hail thee grin
We're yet to hear from since yesterday. Hope there's no problem?

2 Likes

Re: Ministerial Screening: Nigerian Senate Had The Longest Session In 20 Years by whela(m): 8:57pm On Jul 28, 2019
blowjohn:

U didn't echo ur mind.
Let me help u out.
This people are maaad o!
What glorified nonsense!

It's you that say so oooo.. My hand no Dey oooo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atiku Abandoned Us When Lagos LG Allocation Was Seized – Tinubu / Reps Move To Take Over Edo House Of Assembly / General Buratai: We Will Shame, Disgrace Terrorists In 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.