Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,365 members, 7,815,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? (23281 Views)

Do You Still Believe In The Score? Picture / LOCKDOWN: Mark And Score Your Level Of Adherence To Stay At Home Order / Nigerian Defence Academy: List Of Successful Candidates For 69 Regular Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by dyangprof(m): 12:40pm On Jul 29, 2019
Yes

But I will only do it on the condition of adding 1 to every students scores in my class

Note; "Leniency and fairful" is necessary in life
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by AdoredLadyvida: 12:40pm On Jul 29, 2019
added
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by tigerclaws: 12:41pm On Jul 29, 2019
[s]
MachadoPreto:
Depends on the sex
[/s]
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by BrutusOj(m): 12:42pm On Jul 29, 2019
I will add 1 to 39 to let him/her go, but 69 will stand as there is nothing astake.
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by Emusan(m): 12:42pm On Jul 29, 2019
I'll thoroughly go through the paper again

At this time, the mark can drop or even increase...
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by flowx(m): 12:44pm On Jul 29, 2019
If
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by jefy(m): 12:47pm On Jul 29, 2019
But that's what he/she scored!
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by bizhop01: 12:47pm On Jul 29, 2019
Adding free mark is corruption
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by Forevernight: 12:50pm On Jul 29, 2019
Wow!This post reminds me of what happened when our computer teacher in jss 3 gave 2 seniors in SS2 or 3 I think to mark our exams script.All in all I'll have gotten B but she added 1 mark for me�I don't know what made her did that though.
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by Karleb(m): 12:52pm On Jul 29, 2019
I will gladly add without thinking twice.
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by Ajenikoko89: 12:52pm On Jul 29, 2019
H100:
Adding (+1) Mark, The Conscientious Marking Task Teachers Face.

On a very lighter note, as a teacher, would you score your student 69 or add 1 to the score? Ditto for 39!
If no, why?

- Assessment is meant to be an objective process, the human behind the process makes it largely subjective.

Someone said a student that scored 69 is as good as the one that scored 70, really? Also consider the impact of the above on the CGPA of the student:

NB: 60 - 69 is B
70 - 100 is A
39 is F
40 is pass

A teacher could feel 69 can be left without a 1 added, if in truth it doesn’t earn a 1 mark more. This is because of the purpose of assessment. It’s meant to reflect the TRUE ability of a student. It’s important that the student understands that he is a B student, and needs to work harder to become an A, than to dance and rejoice in the euphoria of a grade he didn’t earn, which can make him relax and even score much more less in the next assessment process.

For a 39 score, there can be a lot of subjectivity in place. If the teacher is aware of the efforts the student has put in place to get to that point, there might be a reconsideration. An additional mark to keep the students’ hopes up might be needed, especially for motivation and positive reinforcement. For this option, the teacher needs to clearly know where the student is coming from, and also understand the challenges.

If a student scores a 69, he/she has passed. It's not the same as a 39, for which he/she fails. some teachers may or may not even bother with the 69; However, if the student had had a perfect score up until that point, and that would ruin his/her chances, giving a +1 mark could be highly considered. Again, it depends the individual's(marker) respective values.

Read some other opinions: https://onegoodhead.com/teachers-adding-1-mark-39-69/

I won't do that at all whatever make you get 49 I will add 1 to make it 50
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by maleeks(m): 12:52pm On Jul 29, 2019
I might add one to thirtynine
But I'm ain't never gonna add one to that sex position 69 smiley
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by flowx(m): 12:52pm On Jul 29, 2019
It depend...

Let assume that I am a teacher and is my student.

If he score 90 I will fail him talk less of 39.

Automatically, will repeat class.

No time for nonsense!

2 Likes

Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by bigfish3k: 12:53pm On Jul 29, 2019
i will be humane
i will add the "one" needed to grow ur GP
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by AgreatMan: 12:53pm On Jul 29, 2019
Na so

I will just remove 2 marks to make it 37 or 67. That way the student doesn't see me a bad person cheesy
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by saintkeppy(m): 12:54pm On Jul 29, 2019
Ayoolajumoke:
I will sure add 1 to it, I had cases of having 69, 59 in school and I know how painful it can be and also the damages it can cause to the GP, adding a mark wouldn’t hurt.
Same thing happened to me back then in the university, some courses I had earmarked A, I end up seeing 67,68,69 and it affected my CGPA.

IT the highest credit unit, i end up having 69 after so much efforts. But I walk away with 2:2 which was satisfactory by me cos it wasn't easy. So I will add the +1 mark if given an opportunity to mark any exam script smiley
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by CzarChris(m): 12:54pm On Jul 29, 2019
H100:

On a very lighter note, as a teacher, would you score your student 69 or add 1 to the score? Ditto for 39!
If no, why?

- Assessment is meant to be an objective process, the human behind the process makes it largely subjective.

Someone said a student that scored 69 is as good as the one that scored 70, really? Also consider the impact of the above on the CGPA of the student:

70 - 100 is A
39 is F
40 is pass

A teacher could feel 69 can be left without a 1 added, if in truth it doesn’t earn a 1 mark more. This is because of the purpose of assessment. It’s meant to reflect the TRUE ability of a student. It’s important that the student understands that he is a B student, and needs to work harder to become an A, than to dance and rejoice in the euphoria of a grade he didn’t earn, which can make him relax and even score much more less in the next assessment process.

For a 39 score, there can be a lot of subjectivity in place. If the teacher is aware of the efforts the student has put in place to get to that point, there might be a reconsideration. An additional mark to keep the students’ hopes up might be needed, especially for motivation and positive reinforcement. For this option, the teacher needs to clearly know where the student is coming from, and also understand the challenges.

If a student scores a 69, he/she has passed. It's not the same as a 39, for which he/she fails. some teachers may or may not even bother with the 69; However, if the student had had a perfect score up until that point, and that would ruin his/her chances, giving a +1 mark could be highly considered. Again, it depends the individual's(marker) respective values.

flowx:
If
I'm in the academia, and I can autoritatively tell you that I have given my student 39¾ , you want me toadd mark, where do you expect me to get the mark I am going to add? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 29, 2019
pocohantas:

Why would you HATE your student?

Nigerian lecturers/civil servants , especially those in backwater towns, are some of the most bitter and jealous people to put in positions of power over students

i went to unilorin, and my dad was always about do not show off, do not stand out etc. and i understand why. i did fine boy and i guess i got singled out for it. working in the labour force in lagos, you are expected to do fine boy/gal. you are expected to stand out.

but stand out in a place of frustrated bad belle lecturers, and they will endeavor to make your life miserable

2 Likes

Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by virgintoto(m): 12:56pm On Jul 29, 2019
MachadoPreto:
Depends on the sex

Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by ultimateprof: 12:57pm On Jul 29, 2019
If he or she is obedient and responsible I will, if not, I will not.
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by victorazyvictor(m): 12:59pm On Jul 29, 2019
Lovelyn451:
I won't add shimgbai

Wicket soul spotted

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by Mysticluv(f): 12:59pm On Jul 29, 2019
I will add if the student is hardworking, punctual and serious with his/her studies, otherwise I won't cos he/she may not defend that grade when the time comes which might bring embarrassment to the school.

1 Like

Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by abimbola74(m): 1:03pm On Jul 29, 2019
H100:

If no, why?

70 - 100 is A
39 is F
40 is pass

Had 2 69 in two 3 units courses during my 200level days while in school. Me will gladly add the mark.
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by Ibegtodiffer: 1:03pm On Jul 29, 2019
1. A punctual student will be upped.
2. A student who attended classes and wrote CA will be upped.
3. A respectful spill over student and/or pregnant or nursing mother will be upped.
4. Others may remain at 39 and await the decisions of Departmental or College Board.
That's all.
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by deltateam: 1:03pm On Jul 29, 2019
H100:

If no, why?

70 - 100 is A
39 is F
40 is pass

You are a ipocrite. In the school I attended you rarely see 69 as its rounded up to 70.

Op you go stingy walai.
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 29, 2019
What happens to fairness? If 1 mark is added for someone to pass, that same mark should be added to other students except the mark is irrelevant to others
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by StarbozzMedia: 1:04pm On Jul 29, 2019
My mum is a teacher and those days I was younger and we use to help her mark scripts, I can dash mark for Africa. Well if I like the name and I like the students hand writing I will dash mark. But there are ways the student writes carelessly even that one mark I will not add because I know the persons didn't know what they were writing.
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by Opexzy: 1:06pm On Jul 29, 2019
I mark strictly following the marking scheme while i have it at the back of my mind that i will always add one mark to everybody's score... So it's where ur luck comes into place... If you have scored 69 or 39 or any other niners... Congratulations... But if u scored 68 or 38 or be expecting 69 or 39 respectively....
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by deltateam: 1:07pm On Jul 29, 2019
flowx:
It depend...

Let assume that I'm a teacher and is my student.

If he score 90 I'll fail him talk less of 39.

Automatically, will repeat class.

No time for nonsense!

Shebi na barbecue full him head? tongue
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by shogz89: 1:08pm On Jul 29, 2019
Huw:
ACCA gives 49 a lot of times for an Exam that has a pass score of 50.
If you ask me...I think its jst plain wickedness.
Moraf^ckers!!

Lol even ICAN, but you wont blame them. its because different lecturer marks each question and non of them will know that you need 1 mark to pass until it gets to the collation point and you know those ones cant add mark to questions that have been awarded and registered.

1 Like

Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by Lovelyn451(f): 1:08pm On Jul 29, 2019
T
Re: Would You Score Your Students 39 And 69 Or Would You Add 1 To The Score? by Kennydoc(m): 1:08pm On Jul 29, 2019
ObaIgwe1:
Only sadist lecturers derive joy in giving a student 39,49,59,69 marks...especially 39 mark giving someone a carryover cos of 1 mark

But it depends on the nature of the exam. If it is objective or MCQs, there may be no justification for adding marks, but if it's a theory kind of exam, it's a lot more subjective, therefore there can be room for that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence / Nigerian Law School Bar II 2016/2017 / Please I Need Help In Balancing These Equations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.