Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan (3196 Views)

BREAKING NEWS: NANS Backs Jonathan’s Second Term / Boko Haram Backs Jonathan For President! / NDYM Backs Jonathan On Subsidy Removal! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by chyz(m): 6:36am On Oct 16, 2010
[size=18pt]2011: Ohanaeze backs Jonathan[/size]
Published on 16 October 2010 with 0 comments   
LEONARD OKACHIE

APEX Igbo socio-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo has urged the Igbo nation to support en-masse, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan in his 2011 Presidential ambition.

The group in a statement signed by its President-General, Amb. Raph Uwechue, said after wide consultation over several months, among Igbo people at home and abroad, it has endorsed Jonathan, who is a credible new-generation Presidential candidate that has emerged from the South-South geo-political zone.
It positioned that it does not subscribe  to  the  creeping  intensification of the North-South political divide, through a two-way zoning formula, stressing that there is little doubt that such a bi-polar demarcation of our country seriously militates against the desired progressive consolidation of national unity.
Ohanaeze Ndigbo however said that it firmly believes in the reality and absolute equality of the six zones and holds the view that the topmost executive office in the land Prime Minister or President, which has eluded the  two geo-political zones of South-South and South-East since the birth of the nation a century ago, should now go to them in turn in unbroken succession.

The statement partly reads: At independence in 1960, what our founding fathers settled for was a Federal structure with three regions, East-North-West.  Clearly, this decisive colonial concept of two detachable alternate units, North and South, a residual echo of Lord Lugard's Amalgamation of 1914, did not survive into independent Nigerian nation.  A fourth region- the Midwest, was created by regular constitutional amendment in 1963
Consequently, the politically powerful and strategic positions of President and Vice-President, Senate President and Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives and other important national offices, by established federal character convention, always look into appropriate account of the distribution and rotation of offices among the six geo-political zones.

Ohanaeze Ndigbo is strongly committed to this equity-oriented formula, which creates a comfortable sense of belonging for all Nigerians by ensuring fairness in dealing with the interests of our various  ethnic groups, thus reinforcing the needed unity  in diversity and stability of very promising but still fledgling nation

http://www.champion.com.ng/displaycontent.asp?pid=1359
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by chyz(m): 7:03am On Oct 16, 2010
IBB and Atiku can say goodbye to the southern votes if this is true. The south may now be united for GEJ. cool
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 7:08am On Oct 16, 2010
I support the decision of my fathers in Ohanaeze.

Ndigbo, please let us support our leaders. Though we always pride ourselves in being individualistic, there comes a time when one must act together with his kinsmen, for good or ill. There is no way an individual would be always wiser than his entire community.

Umu nna bu ike! cool

So, I hearby drop my support for other candidates.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by excanny: 7:14am On Oct 16, 2010
This is obviously a good decision.

GJ has proven he has a lot of respect for Ndigbo and has also thrown in a couple of surprises. I have a feeling he seems to be melting pot between between the SS and SE zones. He looks more connected to reality than the other aspirants in the race. I wouldn't think he's a bad choice. Methinks.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 16, 2010
Kini big deal ?
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Abagworo(m): 7:40am On Oct 16, 2010
Ohaneze spoke their own decision not mine.I will vote the best candidate.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Nobody: 7:45am On Oct 16, 2010
Don't sell your votes to pdp.Give it to RIBADU !
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by gogo123: 11:14am On Oct 16, 2010
okay my hands are up, gej you get the vote but better be good to us, i swear you better
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Dede1(m): 12:36pm On Oct 16, 2010
If the post that alleged Ohanaeze’s support of GEJ is true, Ndigbo have once again proven they have long distance miles to cover in order to grasp intrigues of politics. I guess Ndigbo should hold the present leadership of Ohanaeze responsible for unforeseen political consequences that will follow.

There is no development without a process and there is no process without a policy. If you watch northern or the western Nigeria closely, you will detect a sign of political continuity. This is a statement that can not be associated with east.

There is no way GEJ shall win 2011 election without northern Nigeria unless through rigging thereby opening the door of chaos.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by jason12345: 12:50pm On Oct 16, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Kini big deal ?
loool!!!
jokes aside, i think ndigbo made the write choice!!! but, that does not mean all igbos would vote for him, its just a group endosement.
even, if afenifere supports GJ that does not mean he will get all yoruba votes
Anyway, thank God. smiley.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by ChinenyeN(m): 1:50pm On Oct 16, 2010
So they're going on ahead to endorse political candidates? Hmph. .
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by chyz(m): 2:40pm On Oct 16, 2010
ChinenyeN:

So they're going on ahead to endorse political candidates? Hmph. .

why the Hmph?
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 16, 2010
Ohaneze Ndigbo should be a succour for all Igbos. Whether you find yourself in PDP or you support APGA or ANPP or PPA or ACN.
Endorsing a particular candidate alienates all her members who do not subscribe to this particular view and so this move for me is bone headed. Ralph Uwuechue as President should shield the organisation from divisive politics.

Champion Newspaper belongs to Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu. We know that Iwuanyanwu, Ezeife and may be lately Ralph Uwuechue supports Jonathan. They are well in their rights to do so. But to present this view as the general view of Ohanaeze Ndigbo is very dangerous for the organisation because some Igbos may prefer to listen to the likes of Dr Alex Ekwueme, Prof Chukwuma Soludo and Sen Ken Nnamani who hold  a contrary view.

Are these other Igbos no longer Igbos? or are they no longer legitimate members of Ohaneze Ndigbo?.

It is my hope for the sake of the organisation that this is a rushed statement that will be retracted.  Ohaneze is an organisation of people with common language, tribe, culture, traditions . . . . . but not necessarily common political persuation. So I don't see the point of endorsing a single political candidate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Beaf: 3:18pm On Oct 16, 2010
Igbo Kwenu! Now lets press extremly hard for everything we want in common, especially true federalism, education and empowering economic policies. Kwenu!
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by asha80(m): 3:31pm On Oct 16, 2010
chyz:

why the Hmph?

mikeansy:

Ohaneze Ndigbo should be a succour for all Igbos. Whether you find yourself in PDP or you support APGA or ANPP or PPA or ACN.
Endorsing a particular candidate alienates all her members who do not subscribe to this particular view and so this move for me is bone headed. Ralph Uwuechue as President should shield the organisation from divisive politics.

Champion Newspaper belongs to Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu. We know that Iwuanyanwu, Ezeife and may be lately Ralph Uwuechue supports Jonathan. They are well in their rights to do so. But to present this view as the general view of Ohanaeze Ndigbo is very dangerous for the organisation because some Igbos may prefer to listen to the likes of Dr Alex Ekwueme, Prof Chukwuma Soludo and Sen Ken Nnamani who hold a contrary view.

Are these other Igbos no longer Igbos? or are they no longer legitimate members of Ohaneze Ndigbo?.

It is my hope for the sake of the organisation that this is a rushed statement that will be retracted. Ohaneze is an organisation of people with common language, tribe, culture, traditions . . . . . but not necessarily common political persuation. So I don't see the point of endorsing a single political candidate.

Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by chyz(m): 3:36pm On Oct 16, 2010
The news is only found on 1 newspaper site so im kind of skeptical. The story may not be true. Let's keep our eyes open.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Gbawe: 4:16pm On Oct 16, 2010
chyz:

The news is only found on 1 newspaper site so im kind of skeptical. The story may not be true. Let's keep our eyes open.

A few months ago , rushing to "endorse" jonathan was the new craze in town because some Nigerians who over-estimated Jonathan's sagacity thought that the power of incumbency is enough to sweep everyone aside . Now, with every development , the "endorsement" noise is becoming less pronounced because folks are now hesitating to back what is increasingly appearing a doomed/failing ambition. Jonathan , in the past few weeks, will have lost the support of many with his inept leadership. Seasoned political analyst will posit that team GEJ , whatever it says, may have been damaged beyond reprieve by Jonathan's poor decision making that has been glaringly exposed lately.

If Ohanaeze back Jonathan , I think they have acted in haste because the action has only just begun. Jonathan's support base is shrinking fast and those who "endorsed" him prematurely (like the SW PDP Governors) may yet regret their hasty decision.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by chyz(m): 4:57pm On Oct 16, 2010
Gbawe:

A few months ago , rushing to "endorse" jonathan was the new craze in town because some Nigerians who over-estimated Jonathan's sagacity thought that the power of incumbency is enough to sweep everyone aside . Now, with every development , the "endorsement" noise is becoming less pronounced because folks are now hesitating to back what is increasingly appearing a doomed/failing ambition. Jonathan , in the past few weeks, will have lost the support of many with his inept leadership. Seasoned political analyst will posit that team GEJ , whatever it says, may have been damaged beyond reprieve by Jonathan's poor decision making that has been glaringly exposed lately.

If Ohanaeze back Jonathan , I think they have acted in haste because the action has only just begun. Jonathan's support base is shrinking fast and those who "endorsed" him prematurely (like the SW PDP Governors) may yet regret their hasty decision.

The move that hurt GJ the most was the exoneration of MEND. It was a premature move that both intellects and illiterates read the same way.Regional affiliation. Most of us politically conscious nigerians remember are reminded of the time GJ lashed out on Yaradua for going against a position dealing with the ND that jonathan found as unfavorable to him. Many of us see this as a thumb screw to jonathan, a president should never show what his weekness(s) is. By his premature utterance and the handling of MEND and Okah matters, jonathan has just entered Niger Delta politics. At least thats how many see it. If I were a political strategist now that I've found his weakness, I would beef up a conspiracy of jonathan/niger delta regionalism. This would definitely bring his name down to the dirt.

As for Ohanaeze, I'm beginning to doubt that they actually endorsed jonathan. Reason being, they did not announce a meeting like they stated they would when it was time to make a decision. As for the SW PDP governors, they are playing politics.They know whatever announcement that was months ago after the meeting with OBJ will be accredited to him. At least that's what I think. And with GJ's blunder it give them an extra excuse to terminate their "endorsement".
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Dede1(m): 5:13pm On Oct 16, 2010
chyz:

[size=18pt]2011: Ohanaeze backs Jonathan[/size]
Published on 16 October 2010 with 0 comments   
LEONARD OKACHIE

APEX Igbo socio-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo has urged the Igbo nation to support en-masse, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan in his 2011 Presidential ambition.

The group in a statement signed by its President-General, Amb. Raph Uwechue, said after wide consultation over several months, among Igbo people at home and abroad, it has endorsed Jonathan, who is a credible new-generation Presidential candidate that has emerged from the South-South geo-political zone.
It positioned that it does not subscribe  to  the  creeping  intensification of the North-South political divide, through a two-way zoning formula, stressing that there is little doubt that such a bi-polar demarcation of our country seriously militates against the desired progressive consolidation of national unity.
Ohanaeze Ndigbo however said that it firmly believes in the reality and absolute equality of the six zones and holds the view that the topmost executive office in the land Prime Minister or President, which has eluded the  two geo-political zones of South-South and South-East since the birth of the nation a century ago, should now go to them in turn in unbroken succession.

The statement partly reads: At independence in 1960, what our founding fathers settled for was a Federal structure with three regions, East-North-West.  Clearly, this decisive colonial concept of two detachable alternate units, North and South, a residual echo of Lord Lugard's Amalgamation of 1914, did not survive into independent Nigerian nation.  A fourth region- the Midwest, was created by regular constitutional amendment in 1963
Consequently, the politically powerful and strategic positions of President and Vice-President, Senate President and Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives and other important national offices, by established federal character convention, always look into appropriate account of the distribution and rotation of offices among the six geo-political zones.

Ohanaeze Ndigbo is strongly committed to this equity-oriented formula, which creates a comfortable sense of belonging for all Nigerians by ensuring fairness in dealing with the interests of our various  ethnic groups, thus reinforcing the needed unity  in diversity and stability of very promising but still fledgling nation

http://www.champion.com.ng/displaycontent.asp?pid=1359

What is written in the bold does not support the alleged action the group in its alleged support for GEJ. Federal character reference in the Nigerian constitution does not deal with competitive positions unless the political parties agree on a certain formula to archive such tall order.

The PDP pursued such principle by enacting section 7-2C in its constitution yet the candidate this organization has been alleged to support flouted such formula. If PDP wins the control of National Assembly, there will be absolutely no room for zoning the positions come 2011 because it will be either straight majority or agreement between zones.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by maimalari: 5:46pm On Oct 16, 2010
Ohaneze ndigbo is a socio-cultural organisation with less than 5000 persons as members. "This issue of northern forum endorse, ohaneze ndigbo endorse, oduduwa association endorse" is all nonsense, these social clubs are not the populace. All these presidential aspirants should tell us what they can offer, and they should also tell us how(practically) they intend achieving the offer within budget. They should stop wasting their money on these social clubs. They should meet with the masses who are the majority of the electorate, "OR MAY BE OUR VOTE WON'T COUNT".
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by wesley80(m): 6:02pm On Oct 16, 2010
@Chyz, Could you please stop saying GEJ exonerated MEND? if you say both illiterates and intellectuals interpreted it the same way then i also maintain that the only one's that saw his statement as an exoneration were ignorant illiterates and senile intellectuals and i hate to think u belong to either of those groups.
@topic , if this turns out to be true then its credit to ohaneze for showing they've got progressives in their fold that are willing to lead the rest of their people into the new nigeria thats on the horizon.
@onlytruth, welcome on board and just right about time!
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by asha80(m): 6:11pm On Oct 16, 2010
maimalari:

Ohaneze ndigbo is a socio-cultural organisation with less than 5000 persons as members. "This issue of northern forum endorse, ohaneze ndigbo endorse, oduduwa association endorse" is all nonsense, these social clubs are not the populace. All these presidential aspirants should tell us what they can offer, and they should also tell us how(practically) they intend achieving the offer within budget. They should stop wasting their money on these social clubs. They should meet with the masses who are the majority of the electorate, "OR MAY BE OUR VOTE WON'T COUNT".

+1

as if all these cultural groups' endorsements means that they ethnic or sectoinal group they 'represent' will automatically vote for who the endorse
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by EzeUche0(m): 6:12pm On Oct 16, 2010
If Ohanaeze says so, then their will shall be done.

Goodluck Jonathan is our man! cool
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 6:20pm On Oct 16, 2010
I must say at this stage that I would not be surprised by an Ohanaeze endorsement of Jonathan. They would do so for a number of reasons, and I have personally noticed those reasons. You need to read between the lines whenever a northern politician is interviewed in depth on zoning.

Here is the main point about Ohanaezes endorsement:

Ohanaeze Ndigbo however said that it firmly believes in the reality and absolute equality of the six zones and holds the view that the topmost executive office in the land Prime Minister or President, which has eluded the  two geo-political zones of South-South and South-East since the birth of the nation a century ago, should now go to them in turn in unbroken succession.

I completely agree with the bolded. I have not seen any signs from the north that they would accept such arrangement. So, in effect, Nigeria is coming to a head about justice and equity in the management of power at the center.
Ohanaeze is not a body of kids.

The recent Anambra visit by Jonathan featured all the governors of the East including delta and Edo states. The import of that is not lost to close observers.

You can all see that my support of Ohanaeze here is for a solid reason.

We cannot understand Nigerian politics more than these guys.

And yes, they are our (Igbo) fathers.  cool
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by wesley80(m): 6:24pm On Oct 16, 2010
@Aisha,maimalari,
Never underestimate the effect or such an endorsement. Its effect is not only on the uneducated who are usually driven by the 'bandwagon' effect but also on the educated no matter how driven they are by some sense of ideology-take for instance 'Onlytruth' a staunch anti gej campaigner, all it took for him to throw away ideology was an 'unverified ohaneze statement! (lol) u see?
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 6:26pm On Oct 16, 2010
Onlytruth:

I support the decision of my fathers in Ohanaeze.

Ndigbo, please let us support our leaders. Though we always pride ourselves in being individualistic, there comes a time when one must act together with his kinsmen, for good or ill. There is no way an individual would be always wiser than his entire community.

Umu nna bu ike! cool

So, I hearby drop my support for other candidates.

These Nairaland ibo warriors na wa for una ooo!!! ROFLMAO

One minute, Ojukwu, who many claim to be their ibo father endorses IBB and all proclaim he has done well for Ibos. The next, another group claiming, yet again, to speak for all Ibos tells Ojukwu not to speak on behalf of all Ibos but itself jumps to endorse Goodluck, and you all proclaim they have also done well. Which one is it ooo!!!
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 6:27pm On Oct 16, 2010
wesley80:

@Aisha,maimalari,
Never underestimate the effect or such an endorsement.[size=13pt] Its effect is not only on the uneducated who are usually driven by the 'bandwagon' effect but also on the educated no matter how driven they are by some sense of ideology-take for instance 'Onlytruth' a staunch anti gej campaigner, all it took for him to throw away ideology was an 'unverified ohaneze statement![/size] (lol) u see?

^^ SPOT ON!
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 6:30pm On Oct 16, 2010
More than ever, I see a solid reason to support Jonathan. He is our best practical hope for justice and equity in Nigeria.

Ohanaeze is right this time.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 6:36pm On Oct 16, 2010
roflmao!!
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by chyz(m): 6:44pm On Oct 16, 2010
Kobojunkie:

roflmao!!

I'm beginning to think your a clown. A goofy female is really unattractive. Spot on. wink

Anyways back on topic, I think that we should not jump the gun so quick. The story may be untrue. It is yet to be supported by any other newspaper so i suggest we keep our eyes open and if anybody sees another news article to support it then they should paste it.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 6:51pm On Oct 16, 2010
chyz:

I'm beginning to think your a clown. A goofy female is really unattractive. Spot on. wink

Anyways back on topic, I think that we should not jump the gun so quick. The story may be untrue. It is yet to be supported by any other newspaper so i suggest we keep our eyes open and if anybody sees another news article to support it then they should paste it.

Keep thinking . . . just don't hurt your head, okay?   . . . ROFLMAO!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

President Jonathan Missed The Point On The Missing N30 Trillion - Soludo / Ex-minister Had Approached Me With An Offer To Return $250 Million- El Rufai / NIGERIANS Are Hypocrites...why Are We Praying For PARIS-FRANCE?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.