Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,081 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan (3199 Views)

BREAKING NEWS: NANS Backs Jonathan’s Second Term / Boko Haram Backs Jonathan For President! / NDYM Backs Jonathan On Subsidy Removal! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 17, 2010
The sort of things you hear on Nairaland at times is very scary.

So if you support Jonathan then you are a purist, if you don't then you are immoral

I thought this kind of ideologies are only promoted in Ahmadenejad's Iran ?

Its shocking folks want to talk about Nigerian politics in these sort of terms.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by houvest: 2:22pm On Oct 17, 2010
marcdunu:

South East is badly in need of an Alex Samond of the Scotish National Party

Someone who know what they are doing who will promote Igbo agenda through democracy and politics not violence.

Someone who can transform the aspiration of Ndigbo into achievable targets like liaising with the Minister For Commerce and Industry to introduce business policies that will safeguard all Nigerians doing business in any part of Nigeria and prevent this culture of bigoted Governors maltreating traders without compensation in the name of regeneration.

Create agencies where Businessmen can go ask questions about the position of the law on their plans on development or expansion of their business. Not peoples livelishoods being destroyed later merely because Business owners were ignorant of the law.

I guess if Ohaneze continues on this part of self re-invention, they will get there sooner than later.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by ChinenyeN(m): 2:29pm On Oct 17, 2010
chyz:

I think they are on a mission to resurrect the Igbo State Union but of course under the name Ohanaeze. Which isn't a bad Idea if handled right. The Igbo State Union was one of the most feared political/socio-cultural organizations in Nigeria. We are at a time where Igbo so-called "leaders" are selling us out for their own interest which is Presidency. To me, Igbos don't need to be focusing on presidency, it is not important at the moment. They need to be focusing on unity such as banding connecting igbo businesses together economically, building a strong political front for the Igbo, protection of all means for the Igbo ,in every part of Nigeria physical protection(arms) and Legal protection, et al. It seems that Ohanaeze is on that path. If they did endorse him it would have been out of Igbo interest and not out of the desperate need of an Igbo president.
If this is the case, then they must let an Igbo socio-political organization do that; not a socio-cultural one. It's out of place.

Andre Uweh:

The Igbo state Union is not dead, it is this same Ohanaeze you hear everyday. Igbo state union was banned by Ironsi regime as well as other cultural associations. But in 1970, Dennis Osadebe and others regrouped and renamed the association Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo.
Oha (Igbo people)--represented by Uwaechue.
Ndieze (the Kings) represented by Obi Chike Edozien.
It is similar to British model of House of the lords and house of the commons.
I do remember ASUU when banned resurfaces as AASU OR ASU etc.
Hmm. . . So, Ohanaeze has since been a political group, masquerading as a socio-cultural organization?
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by AndreUweh(m): 2:45pm On Oct 17, 2010
ChinenyeN:

If this is the case, then they must let an Igbo socio-political organization do that; not a socio-cultural one. It's out of place.
Hmm. . . So, Ohanaeze has since been a political group, masquerading as a socio-cultural organization?
Don't get it wrong Nenye.
Igbo Union cum Ohanaeze have never been a political group and will never be. They do not field candidates for elective posts in Nigeria. They do not have a political party nor a manifesto.
But they are a pressure group.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by houvest: 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Bros the only thing constant in life is change. The Dinosaur knows too well the disadvantages of the contrary. Semantics are what they are - semantics. I actually have nothing wrong with this self re-invention or transition especially if they have discovered that the old order is not working anymore as it did in the times of Justice Eze Ozobu and Prof Nwabueze. What they needed to transit is wide consultation with the Oha and Eze which they said they did. It is the same army that transforms itself from a defensive formation to an offensive one in the blink of an eye. One is only concerned whether the time is now but with respect to the Nigerian project, the question is not if but when. The transition was inevitable.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by marcdunu: 4:35pm On Oct 17, 2010
http://allafrica.com/stories/201010070682.html

Don't Endorse Any Presidential Aspirant, Group Warns Ohanaeze
Tony Ita Etim
7 October 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email|Print|Comment(1)
Share:
Enugu — IGBO Students Association has advised Ohaneze Ndigbo not to endorse any presidential candidate for the 2011 general elections.

The admonition was contained in a press statement signed by Eric Udeh, Emenike Duru, and Uchenna Achike: President, Vice President and Secretary of the student body respectively.

The students warned that any attempt by Ohaneze to endorse any candidate would only polarise Ohaneze and recalled that "Four years ago, the third term agenda almost destroyed both Prof. Joe Irukwu and Ohaneze itself. No endorsement, please."

According the statement, "The Igbo Students Association notes with dismay, the untidy way Igbo leaders are going about campaigning for various presidential aspirants without considering our plight as future leaders.

"Unemployment, insecurity Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), strike and poverty is dealing with the South East heartlessly while some Igbo leaders are busy mortgaging away our future in Abuja."

The group bemoaned lack of coordination of Igbo leaders and observed that while some had endorsed the incumbent President others were locked out in Owerri.

"We ask wither Ndigbo? What is in it for Ndigbo? What promises have our leaders extracted from the man they have endorsed?", queried the students.

Relevant Links
West Africa
Nigeria
They wondered "Do they plan on giving away Igbo support for free? When will they negotiate with Ndigbo? We hope that a rumour of an impending Ohaneze endorsement of a particular candidate is not true. Ohaneze is not a political party, Ohaneze has no business endorsing presidential candidates."

The students demanded that all presidential candidates to negotiate with Igbo leaders what Ndigbo would get in exchange for their support and whether the presidency will come to Ndigbo.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by ChinenyeN(m): 4:42pm On Oct 17, 2010
Oh well, I have my own thoughts and feelings about all of this, but they mean next to nothing. So I guess I'll just have to be on the lookout to see how things end up.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 17, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Oh well, I have my own thoughts and feelings about all of this, but they mean next to nothing. So I guess I'll just have to be on the lookout to see how things end up.
False.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 17, 2010
marcdunu:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201010070682.html

Don't Endorse Any Presidential Aspirant, Group Warns Ohanaeze
Tony Ita Etim
7 October 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email|Print|Comment(1)
Share:
Enugu — IGBO Students Association has advised Ohaneze Ndigbo not to endorse any presidential candidate for the 2011 general elections.

The admonition was contained in a press statement signed by Eric Udeh, Emenike Duru, and Uchenna Achike: President, Vice President and Secretary of the student body respectively.

The students warned that any attempt by Ohaneze to endorse any candidate would only polarise Ohaneze and recalled that "Four years ago, the third term agenda almost destroyed both Prof. Joe Irukwu and Ohaneze itself. No endorsement, please."

According the statement, "The Igbo Students Association notes with dismay, the untidy way Igbo leaders are going about campaigning for various presidential aspirants without considering our plight as future leaders.

"Unemployment, insecurity Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), strike and poverty is dealing with the South East heartlessly while some Igbo leaders are busy mortgaging away our future in Abuja."

The group bemoaned lack of coordination of Igbo leaders and observed that while some had endorsed the incumbent President others were locked out in Owerri.

"We ask wither Ndigbo? What is in it for Ndigbo? What promises have our leaders extracted from the man they have endorsed?", queried the students.

Relevant Links
West Africa
Nigeria
They wondered "Do they plan on giving away Igbo support for free? When will they negotiate with Ndigbo? We hope that a rumour of an impending Ohaneze endorsement of a particular candidate is not true. Ohaneze is not a political party, Ohaneze has no business endorsing presidential candidates."

The students demanded that all presidential candidates to negotiate with Igbo leaders what Ndigbo would get in exchange for their support and whether the presidency will come to Ndigbo.

Sometimes I just think ppl they knw what they want. When someone created the above article topic, a lot of the posters in here supporting Ohaneze actually supported the "do not endorse any presidential candidate". So much for the voice of the youth.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by jason12345: 4:56pm On Oct 17, 2010
My Igbo brothers, having an Igbo president does not mean he would invest in igbo land more.
All what the youths want, whether yoruba, igbo or hausa, is someone that can fix the country in terms of infrastructures, employment, constant electricity.
if we can have someone to do that, i bet you 99.9% of our problems are solved. there will be almost no need for police men because the crime rate will be reduced by almost 90%, brain drain would stop or be reversed,the economy would grow because of our population.
Personally, i don't care where the president comes from as long as he is not a tribalist and he does what i stated above.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by myview: 10:24pm On Oct 17, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Sometimes I just think ppl they knw what they want. When someone created the above article topic, a lot of the posters in here supporting Ohaneze actually supported the "do not endorse any presidential candidate". So much for the voice of the youth.

who are those posters? name them.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by wesley80(m): 10:32pm On Oct 17, 2010
^^^ Seconded. Name and shame! Lol.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by kettykings: 11:09pm On Oct 17, 2010
Ohaneze should have remained non partisan, where is the famed ibo wisdom. What if GEJ does not make it to ASO Rock . Where is your plan A , plan B and plan C.
What happens in 2015 if the country does not slide into a civil war with all the bombings e.t.c
Where is the ibo intelligentia , what cards do they have for nigeria after 2011 , do they have a joker. This might be the last southern pres or the first christian emperror or even the last president of a united Nigeria.

Ibos might not seem to fully grasp the GEJ presidency , the interplay of foreign powers and politics and they are just like pawns in the hands of those that control Nigerian destiny.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by princekevo(m): 5:33am On Oct 18, 2010
Please can someone tell me that these same Ohanaze ndi igbo did not Endorse OBJ, yaradua. At the end, where is Nigeria today?I see all these as some people using the brains of some Igbos in the name of Apex igbo cultural group, for their own selfish reasons. I dont think any serious Igbo man will take thes guys serious. Every Nigerian is entitle to their votes not minding some clowns who want to sell the Igbo votes to the highest bider.

Another question is, why can this Ohaneze ndigbo will always reach a consensus in endorsing a candidate from any other Geo-political zone, but can never reach a consensus in chose one candidate from SE to contest for this number 1 seat. Tml they will be the one to start whining abt marginalisation as someone held their hands back from going for seat.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by ChinenyeN(m): 5:55pm On Oct 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

False.
Technically, it would be true. One individual's actions make less than a marginal difference, technically, talk less of thoughts & opinions.

Ileke-IdI:

Exactly what crossed my mind when I read some initial responses to this topic.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 18, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Technically, it would be true. One individual's actions make less than a marginal difference, technically, talk less of thoughts & opinions.
Exactly what crossed my mind when I read some initial responses to this topic.
If you dont voice it, and give it muscles, you might never know how many other people echos your opinion. So yes, YOUR opinion mattersn
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by ChinenyeN(m): 6:17pm On Oct 18, 2010
I guess.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by chyz(m): 6:17pm On Oct 18, 2010
The article many of you all are referring too concerning comments made by the Igbo Students Association and the responses by NLers:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-526484.0.html
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by bkbabe97y(m): 6:37pm On Oct 18, 2010
Hold the Fucnk up! Didnt Ojukwu already endorse the Evil General?

Dont Ibos obey everything their god says?

Whats this world turning into?
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by AndreUweh(m): 9:38pm On Oct 18, 2010
@Maimalari: Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo is not an association of 5,000 people. It is the all encompassing association of over 40 million Igbo people worldwide.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by ChinenyeN(m): 10:06pm On Oct 18, 2010
Andre Uweh:

@Maimalari: Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo is not an association of 5,000 people. It is the all encompassing association of over 40 million Igbo people worldwide.
undecided
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Akanbiedu(m): 10:31am On Oct 19, 2010
Assuming this is true.

If this endorsement is about protecting the interests of the Igbo during the tenure of GEJ, the Ohaneze's decision may be right.

If it is about getting the presidency after GEJ's tenure, they are clearly wrong. This decision only takes care of short term interests.

The ohaneze better back the decision up with prayers that the SW doesn't swing the other way, it will be too bad.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 5:05pm On Oct 19, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

Assuming this is true.

If this endorsement is about protecting the interests of the Igbo during the tenure of GEJ, the Ohaneze's decision may be right.

If it is about getting the presidency after GEJ's tenure, they are clearly wrong. This decision only takes care of short term interests.

The ohaneze better back the decision up with prayers that the SW doesn't swing the other way, it will be too bad.

I wouldn't think that Ohanaeze or Jonathan is really counting seriously on South west votes to win this election.

My educated guess is that Jonathan wants to win South East, South South, and North Central. He would then turn South West into a battle ground where he will get some votes . If he does these, he will win.

The most strategic zone in the forth coming election is the South East.

Again, Jonathan may be in possession of true population figures of Nigeria (not the fake being bandied for years). He may know where the population lies.

So, this endorsement is big deal.

As for Igbo interest in Nigeria, I really think it goes beyond the presidency. For now, we need more states and true federalism with equitable distribution of political offices and federal projects, eg. roads, airports, Niger bridge etc.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by chyz(m): 5:14pm On Oct 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

I wouldn't think that Ohanaeze or Jonathan is really counting seriously on South west votes to win this election.

My educated guess is that Jonathan wants to win South East, South South, and North Central. He would then turn South West into a battle ground where he will get some votes . If he does these, he will win.

The most strategic zone in the forth coming election is the South East.

Again, Jonathan may be in possession of true population figures of Nigeria (not the fake being bandied for years). He may know where the population lies.

So, this endorsement is big deal.

As for Igbo interest in Nigeria, I really think it goes beyond the presidency. For now, we need more states and true federalism with equitable distribution of political offices and federal projects, eg. roads, airports, Niger bridge etc.

Lets not forget the millions of igbos that live in the north thats even more votes for GJ. You are very correct about the population. Do you have any idea when the next census is suppose to take place?
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 5:20pm On Oct 19, 2010
chyz:

Lets not forget the millions of igbos that live in the north thats even more votes for GJ. You are very correct about the population. Do you have any idea when the next census is suppose to take place?

Exactly!

The funny thing is that he does not even need to win the extreme northern states. All he needs is to win 25% in each of those states (which is possible in that context).
I don't know when the next census will be, but he already has things like national identity card data captured during the last exercise. He can make all the necessary deductions and projections from there.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by asha80(m): 5:23pm On Oct 19, 2010
Onlytruth and chyz abeg correct me but i have this feeling that population in south east might not be as big as we expect because of our migratory nature. undecided
I am not too sure about thick poluation in the south east undecided
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by chyz(m): 5:30pm On Oct 19, 2010
asha 80:

Onlytruth and chyz abeg correct me but i have this feeling that population in south east might not be as big as we expect because of our migratory nature.  undecided
I am not too sure about thick poluation in the south east  undecided

We we say Igbo votes we are not just talking about votes from SE but votes from millions of Igbos in the North and West. Also the population in the east is still thick we are the largest single tribe in nigeria so those millions that live out side of Igboland is just a portion.Our population in the southeast is still dense without them.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 5:33pm On Oct 19, 2010
asha 80:

Onlytruth and chyz abeg correct me but i have this feeling that population in south east might not be as big as we expect because of our migratory nature.  undecided
I am not too sure about thick poluation in the south east  undecided

You have some points there.
The population in Igboland may not be that thick, but we are talking about winning the elections nationally. Remember that he needs to get the majority of the total votes cast and get 25% in 2/3rd of the nation.

Getting the single largest votes cast is a national thing. That is why I talked about SE/SS/NC and hopefully a good chunk of SW. He would then need to get that 25% in other northern states (which is possible).
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by chyz(m): 5:34pm On Oct 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

Exactly!

The funny thing is that he does not even need to win the extreme northern states. All he needs is to win 25% in each of those states (which is possible in that context).
I don't know when the next census will be, but he already has things like national identity card data captured during the last exercise. He can make all the necessary deductions and projections from there.

Census is what we need to checkmate as a major priority.Its way more important than worrying about an Igbo president at 2015. Also bored security to prevent these northerners from bring in their brothers from niger,chad, and cameroon to come and vote. i believe the best time to have the census is around christmas times because thats wen all igbos go home.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 5:39pm On Oct 19, 2010
chyz:

Census is what we need to checkmate as a major priority.Its way more important than worrying about an Igbo president at 2015. Also bored security to prevent these northerners from bring in their brothers from niger,chad, and cameroon to come and vote. i believe the best time to have the census is around christmas times because thats wen all igbos go home.

I would agree, and add that proper national "information and truth gathering" is what Jonathan should concentrate on if he wins. There has been too many lies told for 50 years. If we know the truth, solving Nigeria's problems will become a breeze.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by chyz(m): 5:46pm On Oct 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

I would agree, and add that proper national "information and truth gathering" is what Jonathan should concentrate on if he wins. There has been too many lies told for 50 years. If we know the truth, solving Nigeria's problems will become a breeze.

Yes, obasanjo refused to allow the census to be based on tribe so that the igbo will not come out on top. If it is based on tribe then it will be no need to have the census taken on christmas.However, border tighting must be checked be for census at least a year before. If we get this checked cone 2015 we can come with full force with are consensus Igbo presidential aspirant.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Backs Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 5:57pm On Oct 19, 2010
chyz:

Yes, obasanjo refused to allow the census to be based on tribe so that the igbo will not come out on top. If it is based on tribe then it will be no need to have the census taken on christmas.However, border tighting must be checked be for census at least a year before. If we get this checked cone 2015 we can come with full force with are consensus Igbo presidential aspirant.

Something tells me that a Jonathan presidency will bring about a permanent shift in the politics of Nigeria.
So much lies have been told in Nigeria since the end of the war. We have a real chance to rediscover Nigeria in new ways.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aliens Working With Us Government? / Abia State : The Military Haven Of The Southeast / Root Causes Of The Biafra Struggle By Femi Aribisala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.