Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,808 members, 7,810,109 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ (3140 Views)

Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness / Shiites: Iran Calls Nigeria To Stop Crackdown On Group / Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by mbulela: 11:53pm On Oct 17, 2010
| By Sapa-AFP
Okah, the ex-leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), which claimed responsibility for the twin car bombings, was arrested at his home in Johannesburg on October 2, the day after the blasts killed 12 people.

South African police say Okah played a leading role in the attacks, acting under the pseudonym Jomo Gbomo — the name signed to MEND’s statement claiming responsibility for the bombings, and to another statement released Friday saying a fresh attack was imminent.

“That’s ludicrous,” Okah, 45, told AFP by telephone from a Johannesburg prison on Sunday.

“If I was leading militant activities I wouldn’t be here in South Africa, I should be there on the ground with them,” he said.

“You can’t lead operations by phone. It’s impossible. I would have been there with them. But of course I’m not doing that. I’m more like a political leader of our struggle.

“I’m a voice that the people listen to. The real fighters in the Niger Delta listen to my voice.” Okah said he sympathises with those fighting to change the distribution of oil revenue in the Delta, the restive heart of Nigeria’s oil industry.

But he denied involvement in the blasts, saying his arrest on “terrorism” charges was part of a political plot by Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, a native of the Delta, to discredit his opponents ahead of elections next year.

“It is about these elections and the Nigerian government’s belief that I’m working on the side of the opposition,” he said.

Okah says he received a text message from one of Jonathan’s advisors after the blasts asking him to have MEND retract its claim of responsibility for the attacks.

He claims the government planned to place the blame on the president’s political rivals from the country’s predominantly Muslim north.

“The president doesn’t want it to seem that his government is being fought against by people from his place,” he said.

MEND on Friday said Okah was a victim of “witch-hunting” by the Nigerian government, and threatened to carry out a fresh attack that would prove he was not involved.

Speaking two days after the warning, Okah said he did not believe in violence as a means to resolve the conflict in the Delta.

“Nothing is achieved except through dialogue. I don’t see violence as a means towards getting the crisis in the Delta resolved. Those who practice violence I believe are just simply trying to draw attention to themselves,” he said.

Okah said he feared Nigeria’s government could try to have him assassinated in prison. He said he had been refusing food for fear it could be poisoned.

“I fear for my life,” he said.

I’m not eating. I’ve never eaten. Sometimes I don’t eat for like two days, sometimes three days. I eat biscuits when I get them.” Three years ago, Okah was arrested in Angola and transferred to Nigerian custody.

He moved to Johannesburg after being released as part of an amnesty programme offered to militants in the Delta.

Okah has been in South African custody since his arrest. His bail hearing began last week and is set to continue Monday.
http://sadailynews24.com/ex-rebel-leader-calls-nigeria-blasts-case-rsquo-ludicrous-rsquo-times-live-703307.htm
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by jamace(m): 7:18am On Oct 18, 2010
Okah is a first class crook. You take his words at your own peril. If  the below was found in his Diary, who the hell does he want to decieve that he believes in peaceful negotiations and not violence.

The diary entries, read in court, discuss guerrilla fighters, training discipline, the use of explosives, boats and night vision. In an entry dated Sept. 19, 2010, Okah wrote:

"God is with us. We will fight to the end," says an entry dated Sept. 19 — 11 days before the attacks.

Prosecutors said they also found in Okah's home a Sept. 3 invoice from a Chinese company not registered to deal in arms in South Africa showing the price of rocket launchers, rocket-propelled grenades, hand grenades, guns and heavy artillery.
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by hakanai(m): 11:12am On Oct 18, 2010
^^^I hope Mr GEJ will not continue to tell us MEND is not responsible.Forget all this crap.Retired and serving MEND doesn't matter.Declare your stance and lets deal with those still active and causing problems.All this handling of MEND has being over played.Giving credit to bandits and encourage criminals by hyping militants and denial of the intent of this criminals. who choose to retire and go back at there choosing.The LAW is the LAW.An enemy of the state must be an enemy of the state.Those sincerely fighting for the rights of people spend countless days pressing for change not by molesting the people or harasing the systems through violence. angry
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by mbulela: 1:55pm On Oct 18, 2010
Muks, my apologies.
Thanks for the assistance.
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by ud4u: 2:41pm On Oct 18, 2010
There is no truth in this man
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by hackney(m): 3:20pm On Oct 18, 2010
Nigeria should carry its nonsense away from other countries.
That okah or whatever should be bundled back to nigeria (whether its allowed or not) so as
to keep nigerian nonsense within nigeria.

No country deserves the constant nonsense generated by nigeria.
monkeys
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by chuqudy(m): 3:31pm On Oct 18, 2010
That Okah of a man is stupid.
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by Libra38: 3:41pm On Oct 18, 2010
@hackney

I advise you come to Nigeria and apply for hackney permitt (license). Believe me you are a big material in Ajegunle, that kind of hair in your picture's profile is what Ajeguleans used in haulling about 30 tons marijuana from Ojuelegba daily.
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by alldone(m): 4:08pm On Oct 18, 2010
He does have a case to answer.
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by LouisThoru(f): 4:09pm On Oct 18, 2010
hackney:

Nigeria should carry its nonsense away from other countries.
That okah or whatever should be bundled back to nigeria (whether its allowed or not) so as
to keep nigerian nonsense within nigeria.

No country deserves the constant nonsense generated by nigeria.
monkeys

Only monkeys know monkeys, that is a fact. LOL
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by 5columnist: 4:14pm On Oct 18, 2010
OKAH says one thing today and another tomorrow. OKAH does not believe in violence yet he is a gun runner. What a pathological liar! tongue
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by crackhouse(m): 4:18pm On Oct 18, 2010
that man named Okah is a stock-fish, his head will surely be good for pepper soup.
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by chosen04(f): 4:21pm On Oct 18, 2010
OKAH has my vote any day!!!!!!!!!!

For fighting our evil govt fire for fire!!!!!!
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by bisiaet: 4:30pm On Oct 18, 2010

Are you serious

I'am hearing this kind of view for the first time in relation to this so called Okah of a thing, anyway you are entitle to your own opinion it is a free world.
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by Nobody: 4:34pm On Oct 18, 2010
Libra38:

@hackney

I advise you come to Nigeria and apply for hackney permitt (license). Believe me you are a big material in Ajegunle, that kind of hair in your picture's profile is what Ajeguleans used in haulling about 30 tons marijuana from Ojuelegba daily.

ROTFL. . .LWKMD. . Lol
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by chosen04(f): 4:42pm On Oct 18, 2010
bisiaet:

Are you serious

100% dead serious . . . . . . . . . .

bisiaet:

I'am hearing this kind of view for the first time in relation to this so called Okah of a thing, anyway you are entitle to your own opinion it is a free world.

The GOOFERICAL! government that Wastes the billions of =N= she doesnt have to celebrate the failures she doesn't need deserves ''some speacial visitations'' . . . . . . . . . . .

So whoever is used for that purpose. May he remain Blessed!!!!!
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by gididi: 4:47pm On Oct 18, 2010
There is no more mend. GEJ was totally correct in his statement.  Mend is equal to Okah &  Brothers Ltd. Henry Okah is not fighting for niger delta people rather for his blood money.
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by Blesyn014(m): 6:42pm On Oct 18, 2010
i definately think they are trying to play with dis case, wel, my suggestion is dat dey bring okah back to nigeria not him being in a south africa prison voicing out rubbishhhhhhhhhhhhhh,
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by geerufus(m): 7:50pm On Oct 18, 2010
Wot is the big deal about all of u condemning Okah?
There are lots u peolpe don't know. Dis politicians have a deal with MEND which they will not disclose. it is anytime there is a breach dat MEND usually strikes.
I support the blast (my only apologies to families of dos wu lost their lives in it). Let the international commuinity know dat everything is not o.k in nigeria as govt is brandishing it b4 the world. A lot of people are aggrieved. Negotiations for better live don't work here, the only language dis bastards understand is chaos and violence. Very soon dis bombs wud hit the TARGET.
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by Yorisb: 8:55pm On Oct 18, 2010
[size=1pt].[/size]
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by expert1(m): 9:38pm On Oct 18, 2010
Okah is a real man, GEJ is a Fluke, We all know that his time will soon run out!
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by toorich: 11:09pm On Oct 18, 2010
expert1:

Okah is a real man, GEJ is a Fluke, We all know that his time will soon run out!

this is the voice of a militant!!! embrace amnesty and live, you rebel.
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by Nobody: 11:59pm On Oct 18, 2010
The God of truth will surely review the truth in this case, I wonder why many people don't know that it's inevitable for them to always be good at all time, because time and pen of history never get tired of recording, I wish someone will educate them some they will understand.
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by Libra38: 7:07am On Oct 19, 2010
alldone:

He does have a case to answer.
LouisThoru:

Only monkeys know monkeys, that is a fact. LOL

TUMP UP!!
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by jamace(m): 9:06am On Oct 19, 2010
this is the voice of a militant!!! embrace amnesty and live, you rebel.

LOL
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by tkb417(m): 9:17am On Oct 19, 2010
chosen04:

OKAH has my vote any day!!!!!!!!!!

point out the evil the govt has done and weigh it to Okahs evil

abi we need a dictionary to translate what evil is

ure disappointing me big time
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by blackchief(m): 9:29am On Oct 19, 2010
A BAD MAN AND NOT ASHAME TO SAY IT

This terrorist, was held in prison in Jos and we played polities of Amnesty and set him free, the man went to SA to stay in his mansion, organised a bomb blast, killing innocent persons (mostly persons that went out to look for their daily bread) and we are playing polities of tribe and region with it. At the rate we are going,we will give birth to another Idi-ami and Hitler in Nigeria.

some times, I wonder how some people go to bed and sleep well at night.
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 19, 2010
blackchief:

A BAD MAN AND NOT ASHAME TO SAY IT

This terrorist, was held in prison in Jos and we played polities of Amnesty and set him free, the man went to SA to stay in his mansion, organised a bomb blast, killing innocent persons (mostly persons that went out to look for their daily bread) and we are playing polities of tribe and region with it. At the rate we are going,we will give birth to another Idi-ami and Hitler in Nigeria.

some times, I wonder how some people go to bed and sleep well at night.

This is the shiot we experience in Nigeria.the problems in the ND have always been tribalized and that is why the region will continue to be a shiothole.
The same ND that were crying when ALAMS stole,ruin bayelsa and was arrested.The same ND that cried when Asari and Okah were arrested  ? Same Okah played a fast one on the government and is now causing more trouble for NIGERIA.
NIGERIA is bigger than niger delta ! All these rubbish must stop !those days people hardly identify with armed robber but these days the reverse is the case
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by obyann(f): 10:02am On Oct 19, 2010
Libra38:

@hackney

You dey mind that guy
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by bjcisse: 10:37am On Oct 19, 2010
If the government allow this guy to strike a deal with them, then he will go and strategize and probably start to recruit people who will start to initiate this attack and distance himself but sponsor them.

I think he is learning, he is still a minor terrorist. If not, look at all evidence the prosecuting lawyer 'shaun' have against him but still denied with cheap liars.

The Nigerian Government still have power at this stage to put all of this under-control. One man is not bigger than the whole nation. one man cannot just put the whole 150million people in problems here and there. there are some people that are meant to be behind bars without even thinking about it.

i trust the US, once you are cut associating with terrorist group, you are dead man

Please Vote Nuhu Ribadu 2011
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by UmarSanda: 1:42pm On Oct 19, 2010
The president is obviously tryin 2 force himself in2 office by silencing his opponents. How can he exonerate MEND when dey are actually claiming responsibility.
Re: Ex-rebel Leader Calls Nigeria Blasts Case ’ludicrous’ by zionic(m): 2:28pm On Oct 19, 2010
the nigeria bomb blast case is "shaba ranks" grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan To Build $20 Billion Of Fertilizer & Petrochemical Plants / Breaking News: Kano Protesters Make Covenant Among Xtians And Muslims / Femi Fani Kayode Live On Channels TV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.