Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,931 members, 7,956,498 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:57 PM

Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo (38363 Views)

Things That Can Weaken A Man's Erection By Dr Olufunmilayo / No Exercise Or Drug Can Grow The Penis- Dr Olufunmilayo / ‘No Man Can Shift Your Womb’ - Dr Olufunmilayo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by udomoh(m): 10:38am On Aug 04, 2019
NEVER sleep in same bed as baby, it is a cause of sudden infant death. Bed sharing with baby is dangerous-Dr. Olufunmilayo

Medical doctor and social media influencer Dr. Olufunmilayo has warned new moms and dads to NEVER sleep in same bed as baby saying its causes sudden infant death, head injuries and falls among other things.

Read his tweets below.. …

As a new mom/dad:

NEVER sleep in same bed as baby.

NEVER lie the baby on its chest.

NEVER smoke around baby.

NEVER over-wrap the baby.

These causes SUDDEN DEATH in babies and children under one year.

Please don’t blame your mother in law. Or village people.

Some people also say that sometimes adults move during sleep leading to the baby being pushed to the floor from bed/sofa and the parent not knowing. The baby could suffer head injuries and die. A baby should sleep face up in its own cot or in a safe Moses basket.

That’s it.

Also putting a baby face down could lead to suffocation and difficulty breathing which could easily lead to death- if this position was to be for a long period of time like a whole night of say 10-12 hours. Again, all babies should lie in their own cot, on their back, facing up.

Because sleeping on the chest can cause difficulties with breathing as the nose presses against the bed. Spending a whole night in that position can kill them before morning.

Smoking (or smokes) around a baby is very dangerous. The lungs of a baby are still immature and inhaling secondhand smoke can easily cause suffocation, very serious damage and severe chest infections like pneumonia that can become life threatening and kill the baby.

Over-wrapping a baby is unsafe because once you overwrap a baby too tightly it makes it difficult for the baby to move. Now if the baby is faced down and suffocating already, inability to turn head and move to breathe will ensure the baby’s death.

Wrap a baby. But don’t overdo.

Finally, as a new parent/guardian, Follow all these advice, Take your baby far from smokers or places with smoke, far from people who randomly kiss/lick babies, far from overzealous people who will overwrap them and far from any unsafe practice.

https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/08/04/never-sleep-in-same-bed-as-baby-dr-olufunmilayo/?amp

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by zykson(m): 10:41am On Aug 04, 2019
Twitter finger doctor

10 Likes

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by NwaAmaikpe: 10:41am On Aug 04, 2019
shocked

Sleeping on the same bed with babies is no fun.

From them constantly waking up at night to suck on the same brezz you waited all day for them to sleep so you could suck on.

To them wryly smiling in their sleep when they hear mommy's soft groans as she marks her spousal attendance register.

Aside these, I don't see the risk of a parent killing a newborn sleeping next to them.
Unless the parent accidentally turns over and smothers them or the parent has a terrible body odour.

But the truth be told,
To be afforded the opportunity to sleep on the same bed with your own baby by God is a gift in itself and a priceless experience that should never be traded.
It brings the best meaning to parenthood.

As a young dad then, I always loved to sleep on the same bed with my babies. I'd even place my nose directly to their soft lips so I could get in all the fragrance of their heavenly burps.

Babies are human angels.
Lalasticlala can testify to that.

236 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by thesicilian: 10:47am On Aug 04, 2019
I personally believe that sleeping on the same bed with your baby is the best way to nuture and nourish them. You can easily hear when the baby is crying, you can breastfeed on demand without having to leave the bed (thus interrupting your sleep too often) and is very protective.
Except of course, those adults who like rolling from Jericho to Jerusalem when sleeping.

62 Likes

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by drips8(m): 10:59am On Aug 04, 2019
NwaAmaikpe is mad!

25 Likes

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by Jayslicky: 11:13am On Aug 04, 2019
thesicilian:
I personally believe that sleeping on the same bed with your baby is the best way to nuture and nourish them. You can easily hear when the baby is crying, you can breastfeed on demand without having to leave the bed (thus interrupting your sleep too often) and is very protective.
Except of course, those adults who like rolling from Jericho to Jerusalem when sleeping.
The doctors are advising you, you are still adamant. You can always put babies on their on bed but on the same room with you.

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by Kneephy(m): 12:14pm On Aug 04, 2019
God please don't forget the mothers that do not have bed to put their babies. Bless them, provide for their needs and let them be able to eat the fruit of their labor.

128 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by checkedout: 3:38pm On Aug 04, 2019
Nothing man no go hear

4 Likes

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by VivaDeAngelo(m): 3:38pm On Aug 04, 2019
A family friend's wife inadvertently suffocated her child while sleeping. The husband never forgave her, we must heed to the advice of this doctor.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by Kendumazy(m): 3:39pm On Aug 04, 2019
Lol. Nothing man no go hear.
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by ADRIAN88(m): 3:40pm On Aug 04, 2019
To all my exes still calling me baby.... This is for you..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by SoftP(m): 3:40pm On Aug 04, 2019
Do they need to be told'

1 Like

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by Sellfish(m): 3:41pm On Aug 04, 2019
It is well

Pls buy my perfectly working lenovo thinkpad x1 carbon laptop... Check my profile for details... Price crashed to 70k...money needed urgently

1 Like

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by Amuocha: 3:41pm On Aug 04, 2019
Seen
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by pointstores(m): 3:41pm On Aug 04, 2019
Kkkk
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by HisSexcellency(m): 3:41pm On Aug 04, 2019
Somebody will just wake up from sleep to start talking nonsense without facts or any research whatsoever undecided

5 Likes

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by imitateMe(m): 3:41pm On Aug 04, 2019
Jayslicky:
The doctors are advising you, you are still adamant. You can always put babies on their on bed but on the same room with you.
That one doesn't sound like a doctor to me

3 Likes

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by GeoAfrikana(m): 3:41pm On Aug 04, 2019
True
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by davodyguy: 3:43pm On Aug 04, 2019
I agree with everything, save the part she talked about different bed. My son would cry if the mom's not beside him. It works differently

2 Likes

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by seunfly: 3:44pm On Aug 04, 2019
Except a very careless parent, I don't think the risk of sleeping on thesame bed with your baby is higher than any other cause of children mortality in Africa.

I sleeps on the same bed with my wife and baby, 80% of our consciousness is about the baby beside us. I don't think any good parent will sleep over and suffocate their own baby. If any parent can be that careless, then their carelessness will still kill the baby in other ways apart from sharing same bed.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by Olujoe1(m): 3:44pm On Aug 04, 2019
Ask her if her mum did not nurtured her that way.
Five of my mum children were nurtured that same way none died. So the news is harmless

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by gaby(m): 3:45pm On Aug 04, 2019
In fact, na for ground I for pick my own up last night.

Her mum had snored away from stressing out most of the day...na so I begin feel something for my ankle region.

Thank God I didn't kick in fright to knock off whatever i thought it coulda been....

When I opened my eyes, behold aunty Sage had rolled over to the foot of the bed inches away from landing on the hard floor.

It's truly quite risky sharing a bed with babies...

21 Likes

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by GeoAfrikana(m): 3:45pm On Aug 04, 2019
ADRIAN88:
To all my exes still calling me baby.... This is for you..

shocked sad undecided
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by feelgoodstuffs(m): 3:46pm On Aug 04, 2019
Not completely true
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by davodyguy: 3:46pm On Aug 04, 2019
thesicilian:
You've spoken my mind.

I have a one year old who would never sleep except he touches either of us and when he turns, he needs to lean on the mum or myself. Parents just needs to be cautious and conscious, that's all, so as not to sleep on the baby

9 Likes

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by ssogundele(m): 3:46pm On Aug 04, 2019
Things are changing o. Modern day with its do and don't! This is a joy of all mothers and only marginally in the regions of 0.0005 of such mortality occurs in 10,000,000 of child death!

2 Likes

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by J4JUVENTUS(m): 3:47pm On Aug 04, 2019
imitateMe:

That one doesn't sound like a doctor to me
grin More like a native doctor,right

3 Likes

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by MobilityExpress: 3:47pm On Aug 04, 2019
Tell dem oh. Some people are like tractor when they sleep, they will be rolling up and down like they want to cultivate the farmland on their bed grin.

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria's Coronavirus Index Patient Discharged After Testing Negative / Hoplite Foundation Holds Hangout For Persons Living With Sickle Cell In Abuja / Three Sisters With Werewolf Syndrome Fear They'll Never Get Married

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.