Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,009 members, 7,953,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:11 AM

Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo (38359 Views)

Things That Can Weaken A Man's Erection By Dr Olufunmilayo / No Exercise Or Drug Can Grow The Penis- Dr Olufunmilayo / ‘No Man Can Shift Your Womb’ - Dr Olufunmilayo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by ImaIma1(f): 5:37pm On Aug 04, 2019
thesicilian:
I personally believe that sleeping on the same bed with your baby is the best way to nuture and nourish them. You can easily hear when the baby is crying, you can breastfeed on demand without having to leave the bed (thus interrupting your sleep too often) and is very protective.
Except of course, those adults who like rolling from Jericho to Jerusalem when sleeping.

It's not the best way jare. You can nurture and nourish them in their own beds. You will always hear them cry. Because it's a struggle to get them to sleep on their own when they are bigger. And it also doesn't give you freedom on the bed and to cuddle with boo.

I made sure mine slept in her own bed from day one. Once in a while when the need arises she sleeps with us. And everyone is comfortable and happy that way

1 Like

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by ImaIma1(f): 5:40pm On Aug 04, 2019
VivaDeAngelo:
A family friend's wife inadvertently suffocated her child while sleeping. The husband never forgave her, we must heed to the advice of this doctor.

Just like one i heard of too. While feeding her baby as they both laid down in bed, she slept off and somehow the child got suffocated..

1 Like

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by ImaIma1(f): 5:42pm On Aug 04, 2019
davodyguy:
I agree with everything, save the part she talked about different bed. My son would cry if the mom's not beside him. It works differently

Depends on how she started. If from day 1 she put him in his bed, he would have been used to it
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by mamajaz(f): 6:24pm On Aug 04, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Sleeping on the same bed with babies is no fun.

From them constantly waking up at night to suck on the same brezz you waited all day for them to sleep so you could suck on.

To them wryly smiling in their sleep when they hear mommy's soft groans as she marks her spousal attendance register.

Aside these, I don't see the risk of a parent killing a newborn sleeping next to them.
Unless the parent accidentally turns over and smothers them or the parent has a terrible body odour.

But the truth be told,
To be afforded the opportunity to sleep on the same bed with your own baby by God is a gift in itself and a priceless experience that should never be traded.
It brings the best meaning to parenthood.

As a young dad then, I always loved to sleep on the same bed with my babies. I'd even place my nose directly to their soft lips so I could get in all the fragrance of their heavenly burps.

Babies are human angels.
Lalasticlala can testify to that.

Abeg, this guy nwa omo epe is loveable in his craze. Thumbs up bro.

2 Likes

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by durasome(m): 7:05pm On Aug 04, 2019
so so true i can relate with the first one,almost killed my baby girl when she was some weeks old,suddenly moved my hand with force in my sleep and it landed on her head thank God she was not harmed.
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by OALandAgents: 7:15pm On Aug 04, 2019
Advice that is very important to heed. I speak from experience.

When our first born was a baby, she sometimes slept between me and my wife;
I once rolled on top of her during deep-sleep suffocating her, it was only because my wife was a light sleeper and felt our baby's waving her arms about, that prevented a tragedy.

My wife is a aware of the baby even during sleep, not all mother's are . So some women may wake up to a dead baby not knowing that they lay on them and accidentally suffucated them whilst asleep. If you must lay with the baby, pull the baby up so his head is level with your own before falling asleep.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by Skmoda360(m): 7:23pm On Aug 04, 2019
drips8:
NwaAmaikpe is mad!
But he has some good points now.

1 Like

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by akeensbussy(m): 7:39pm On Aug 04, 2019
Jayslicky:
The doctors are advising you, you are still adamant. You can always put babies on their on bed but on the same room with you.
I have given birth to 3 kidz....their mother slept on the same bed with them throughout and nothing happen to any of them. The eldest is 7 while the youngest 4 months.

She breastfed them all. no baby food. if she does not sleep beside them, how will she cope with the breastfeeding?
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by 1Sharon(f): 7:43pm On Aug 04, 2019
Kneephy:
God please don't forget the mothers that do not have bed to put their babies. Bless them, provide for their needs and let them be able to eat the fruit of their labor.

Why are they having babies if they can't afford it?
Nonsense.
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by thinkmoney(m): 7:53pm On Aug 04, 2019
seunfly:
Except a very careless parent, I don't think the risk of sleeping on thesame bed with your baby is higher than any other cause of children mortality in Africa.

I sleeps on the same bed with my wife and baby, 80% of our consciousness is about the baby beside us. I don't think any good parent will sleep over and suffocate their own baby. If any parent can be that careless, then their carelessness will still kill the baby in other ways apart from sharing same bed.
my brother, I see reason in the doctors post. its not everybody that can control their movements during sleep. it further gets difficult when one is really tired from the days hustle or one has gotten few more drinks.
however one gets attached and emotional with the baby, balance, compromise and discipline are essential attribute almost in all facets of life.
PREVENTION IS FAR BETTER THAN CURE
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by 4Play(m): 7:54pm On Aug 04, 2019
seunfly:
Except a very careless parent, I don't think the risk of sleeping on thesame bed with your baby is higher than any other cause of children mortality in Africa.

I sleeps on the same bed with my wife and baby, 80% of our consciousness is about the baby beside us. I don't think any good parent will sleep over and suffocate their own baby. If any parent can be that careless, then their carelessness will still kill the baby in other ways apart from sharing same bed.

You are probably adding to the risk of death though as this advice points out:

"Bed-sharing 'raises cot death risk fivefold'," BBC News reports. The news has featured in much of the media, with headlines based on a large analysis of previous studies into the risk of cot death, or sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), associated with bed-sharing.

Bed-sharing is where babies sleep in the same bed as their parents. It has long been known that bed-sharing with a parent who smokes or has consumed drugs or alcohol increases the risk of SIDS.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/pregnancy-and-child/sharing-a-bed-with-your-baby-ups-risk-of-cot-death/

3 Likes

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by Godmademan(m): 8:07pm On Aug 04, 2019
HisSexcellency:
Somebody will just wake up from sleep to start talking nonsense without facts or any research whatsoever undecided
Look up SIDS and stop disgracing yourself in a public forum.
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by Pat081: 8:25pm On Aug 04, 2019
Na lie jo is bcoz they don't want the baby to hear or see wen daddy or mum is in the mood for sex so that they too will not be doing so
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by TokkyFashion(f): 9:00pm On Aug 04, 2019
Which bed is okay then
To place another bed on our bed or get separate bed for them
Like baby crib
But some babies won't sleep in it .
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by BluntBoy(m): 9:27pm On Aug 04, 2019
ImaIma1:

It's not the best way jare. You can nurture and nourish them in their own beds. You will always hear them cry. Because it's a struggle to get them to sleep on their own when they are bigger. And it also doesn't give you freedom on the bed and to cuddle with boo.

I made sure mine slept in her own bed from day one. Once in a while when the need arises she sleeps with us. And everyone is comfortable and happy that way

You are married shocked
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by ImaIma1(f): 9:56pm On Aug 04, 2019
BluntBoy:

You are married shocked

Lol...yeah
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by addicted268(f): 10:37pm On Aug 04, 2019
Kneephy:
God please don't forget the mothers that do not have bed to put their babies. Bless them, provide for their needs and let them be able to eat the fruit of their labor.

Amen, and also God don't forget women that don't have babies to put in their beds. Amen

1 Like

Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by BluntBoy(m): 10:43pm On Aug 04, 2019
ImaIma1:

Lol...yeah

May God bless your home tremendously.
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by dammyblaze: 10:51pm On Aug 04, 2019
[quote author=Kneephy post=80926936]God please don't forget the mothers that do not have bed to put their babies. Bless them, provide for their needs and let them be able to eat the fruit of their labor.[/uote] Amen
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by bizzibodi(m): 10:54pm On Aug 04, 2019
Sleeping with babies ensures u check on them,attends to their need.....just ensure u place a pillow btw u & them.
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by Pacesetter123(m): 4:29am On Aug 05, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Sleeping on the same bed with babies is no fun.

From them constantly waking up at night to suck on the same brezz you waited all day for them to sleep so you could suck on.

To them wryly smiling in their sleep when they hear mommy's soft groans as she marks her spousal attendance register.

Aside these, I don't see the risk of a parent killing a newborn sleeping next to them.
Unless the parent accidentally turns over and smothers them or the parent has a terrible body odour.

But the truth be told,
To be afforded the opportunity to sleep on the same bed with your own baby by God is a gift in itself and a priceless experience that should never be traded.
It brings the best meaning to parenthood.

As a young dad then, I always loved to sleep on the same bed with my babies. I'd even place my nose directly to their soft lips so I could get in all the fragrance of their heavenly burps.

Babies are human angels.
Lalasticlala can testify to that.
No be small markings of spousal attendance register!! grin grin
Re: Never Sleep On The Same Bed As Babies, It Can Kill Them- Dr Olufunmilayo by Xevioso: 7:16am On Aug 05, 2019
Here in Europe, we have no polio, ultrasound screening, tri-monthly health visits, vaccinations, free healthcare and an infant mortality rate 19.7 times lower than Nigeria (11th worst in the world).

We advise exactly as posted: No Co-sleeping (parents and babies in the same bed), own cot until 6 months, own room after that.

It's very sad to come and see that Nigerians are the reason their children die so often.

If you don't trust Europeans that's fine, but obviously, they are more medically advanced and better educated, so you'd be well advised to follow the advice they give to themselves, even if not that they give to you.

Unless, of course, you believe so strongly in God that you want your kids to meet him as soon as possible.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Went To See A Doctor Today Because Of My Illness And This Happened / Nigeria's Coronavirus Index Patient Discharged After Testing Negative / Hoplite Foundation Holds Hangout For Persons Living With Sickle Cell In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.