Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,179 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country (17811 Views)

Nigerian Students Studying Abroad, Travelers To Pay ₦40,000 For Police Clearance / What You Need To Do If You Get Lost In An Unfamiliar City In Nigeria / Alaska Airlines Surprise Travelers With Sweaters And T-shirts On Christmas Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by Sososo(f): 9:43am On Aug 06, 2019
Mynd44:
Read up on security and danger points.

Always know the fastest route to a safe point.
you are on point
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by YahwehRocks: 10:09am On Aug 06, 2019
@Op, Can any country travelled to first time be familiar?

2 Likes

Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by Jarus(m): 10:34am On Aug 06, 2019
I just go online and read about the city.

1 Like

Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by Jarus(m): 10:35am On Aug 06, 2019
YahwehRocks:

Exactly. Unfamiliar is redundant in that sentence.

1 Like

Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by Dalyjay(m): 10:40am On Aug 06, 2019
I click on this cos I know I will need it soon
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by Choice22(m): 10:44am On Aug 06, 2019
My first time at Istanbul airport, mehn I was very confused, the airport is very large . I was on transit and my connecting flight was in three hours time. I have to sat there waiting though the airport Wi-Fi really helped me cos I was just busy with my phone, I didn't felt much bored. Anytime I will be coming back to Nigeria I will still use Turkish Airline but that will be after Buhari regime

1 Like

Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by uzolexis(f): 11:16am On Aug 06, 2019
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Let me add my own warning to this, DON'T COME BACk....I'm shouting it o, DON'T COME BACK TO THIS SHITHOLE
9jayes:
If you are reading this from outside Nigeria please don't come to Nigeria no matter how many safe tips you read, Nigeria is not safe for her citizens nt to talk of foreigners.
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by haydaymodapk: 11:41am On Aug 06, 2019
There is an exceptional spot in Hay Days, which is the existence cycle of the plants. hay day unlimited diamonds A few plants are gathered multiple times later, and they will shrink. You won't most likely do anything other than can leave a 'Help' table and sit tight for your neighbors to splashes water.
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by Ugosample(m): 12:05pm On Aug 06, 2019
mcafeez:
Don't be unfortunate child of the soil grin grin. If your life is miserable where u at, it doesn't mean the whole Nigeria is bad.

To any traveler who wish to visit Nigeria.... South West of Nigeria is safe pls come and enjoy yourself... but do not go to this mumu idiot guy I quote town oooo... he need to visit nearest mechanic workshop to drink used oil, it will surely heal his illness...

what you typed made zero sense undecided

The whole country is unsafe
SW inclusive

maybe just Lagos (some parts) and other places in naija is safe

But naija in totality? undecided
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by Ugosample(m): 12:06pm On Aug 06, 2019
Choice22:
My first time at Istanbul airport, mehn I was very confused, the airport is very large . I was on transit and my connecting flight was in three hours time. I have to sat there waiting though the airport Wi-Fi really helped me cos I was just busy with my phone, I didn't felt much bored. Anytime I will be coming back to Nigeria I will still use Turkish Airline but that will be after Buhari regime

Ataturk got me like shocked shocked

so I can relate cheesy
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by Ugosample(m): 12:08pm On Aug 06, 2019
LaughButton01:
the loneliness one feels over there is what brings us back. and lack of freedom. over carefulness and junk food. truth is. if you weren't born there, you would always miss Nigeria no matter what

loneliness is true

the freedom enjoyed in NiggerArea is akin to lawlessness

and yes you have to be careful and behave yourself
that is a key ingredient to having a sane and developed country

as for the food lipsrsealed

this is the one most Nigerians in the diaspora miss

2 Likes

Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by jennifer247: 12:27pm On Aug 06, 2019
I really like Traveling most of the time I choose out of state or country for traveling. This article is very informative. network printer troubleshooting First time I read this kind of article. In this article, the author shares some tips for traveling an unfamiliar country.
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by CanadaOrBust: 12:48pm On Aug 06, 2019
Mynd44:
Read up on security and danger points.

Always know the fastest route to a safe point.

I was going to congratulate u on your FTC but then I noticed someone was there b4 u but got deleted
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by CanadaOrBust: 12:56pm On Aug 06, 2019
YahwehRocks:

Smartass
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by CanadaOrBust: 1:00pm On Aug 06, 2019
Jarus:

Exactly. Unfamiliar is redundant in that sentence.

Not necessarily. I’m VERY familiar with Ghana through my brother who lives there but I’m totally unfamiliar with Japan

1 Like

Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by CanadaOrBust: 1:07pm On Aug 06, 2019
uzolexis:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Let me add my own warning to this, DON'T COME BACk....I'm shouting it o, DON'T COME BACK TO THIS SHITHOLE

Per your signature, u think something that leads to creation of another human being can be overrated?
Also some people were horrible, terrible people till they met Lord Jesus
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by Forreellinc: 1:11pm On Aug 06, 2019
grin ask for where you can find oloshos
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by pacespot(m): 1:47pm On Aug 06, 2019
Useful info
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by uzolexis(f): 2:54pm On Aug 06, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Per your signature, u think something that leads to creation of another human being can be overrated?
Also some people were horrible, terrible people till they met Lord Jesus

Yes,I think sex is overrated and I'm happy for those who became better because they met Jesus but there are also pple who become terrible due to religion. It goes both ways.
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by Jagaban880: 3:24pm On Aug 06, 2019
bulletproofmonk:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/9974932_cassiegallegos1268205unsplash_jpega2d520c2d2db5320f58484661da926e0

TIPS FOR FIRST TIME TRAVELERS TO AN UNFAMILIAR COUNTRY

Traveling to a country that you are not familiar with can be both exciting and frightening. The thrill that comes with doing something for the first time is totally unmatched. At the same time, not knowing what to expect upon arrival can also make you feel anxious. In order to lessen your worries, here are tips for first time travelers to an unfamiliar country.

PREPARE EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR YOUR TRAVEL

• Make sure that you bring all your travel documents with you. Be familiar with the immigration laws to avoid problems upon arrival. Book your travel ticket months ahead of the trip and reserve local transportation as well. Of course, don’t forget to look for a comfortable place to stay.

• Pack appropriate clothes. Research about the type of clothing that people in the place usually wear. Avoid wearing clothes that are deemed as impolite in that country.

• Bring extra snacks with you. Place some in your luggage and the others in your hand carry bag. You might get very hungry during the trip especially if it is a long one. The snacks can also sustain you until such time when you can find a local restaurant that you are comfortable with.

• Be familiar with the restrictions in certain countries. When traveling to Thailand for instance, you are not allowed to bring Buddha images with you. In some Arabic countries, bringing non-Islamic religious items is not allowed.

• Learn the local languages. Just learn the basics such as saying, “Thank You” or “I am sorry.” It is also important to know how to say the correct words especially if you have food restrictions that might be included in your order.

• Bring cash and credit cards. In some instances, credit cards would help a lot. However, in some countries where credit cards are not accepted in several stores, be ready to have cash with you.

WHAT TO DO UPON ARRIVAL

Look for a reliable money changer. It is advisable to change money to the country where you are going to rather than in your home country as the rate might be different. Money changes in your home country might also not have the currency that you need. In terms of rates, you need to know the exchange rate for the day to avoid being fooled by money changers.

• Do not give your luggage to anyone who offers help or just take a local taxi service if you don’t think they can be trusted enough. In some countries, cases of stolen bags are very rampant since some tourists think those who took their bags were porters. Others have also experienced taking a taxi that charged them twice the original amount or exorbitant fees.

• Look for a local telecom shop. Find out how you can easily communicate back to your home country or to the person you are with in case you get lost or something is wrong. Inquire about internet access inside and outside your hotel.

ENJOY THE ACTUAL TRIP

• Try out some street foods or local cuisines. It won’t kill you to give them a try. As long as you see how the food is being prepared and you buy only fresh meals, it is fine.

• Interact with the locals. Have small chit chats to learn more about their culture. If you can’t understand them, just smile and nod.

• Be polite. From the way you talk to the way you dress up, you need to move in accordance to the customs and traditions of the country. If you can try out their local costumes or have fun with their street performances, go ahead and do it.

• Don’t miss landmarks. If the country has a special landmark or an interesting activity that you must go to, you really should. You might not be back to the country again so you have to make the most out of your trip.

With these tips, traveling to an unfamiliar country for the first time is not that terrifying at all.

https://www.daytranslations.com/blog/2014/01/tips-for-first-time-travelers-to-an-unfamiliar-country-3744/
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by CanadaOrBust: 3:32pm On Aug 06, 2019
uzolexis:

Yes,I think sex is overrated and I'm happy for those who became better because they met Jesus but there are also pple who become terrible due to religion. It goes both ways.

Well u think wrong. U should say: “sex can be overrated”. People don’t fall in love with same sex unless gay. Sexual attraction. It is also sex that produces babies.

Well here is your signature: “With or without religion good people are good and bad people are bad.”
But you have now conceded that religion can make bad people good and vise versa. So, change your signature. smiley

* That your malaria self-test thread deserved to make front page. Makes no sense it didn’t.

1 Like

Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by Plainx16646xx: 3:53pm On Aug 06, 2019
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by DREagon(m): 4:17am On Aug 07, 2019
LaughButton01:
the loneliness one feels over there is what brings us back. and lack of freedom. over carefulness and junk food. truth is. if you weren't born there, you would always miss Nigeria no matter what

No be lie
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by greenalwaz: 4:48am On Aug 09, 2019
bulletproofmonk:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/9974932_cassiegallegos1268205unsplash_jpega2d520c2d2db5320f58484661da926e0

TIPS FOR FIRST TIME TRAVELERS TO AN UNFAMILIAR COUNTRY

Traveling to a country that you are not familiar with can be both exciting and frightening. The thrill that comes with doing something for the first time is totally unmatched. At the same time, not knowing what to expect upon arrival can also make you feel anxious. In order to lessen your worries, here are tips for first time travelers to an unfamiliar country.

PREPARE EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR YOUR TRAVEL

• Make sure that you bring all your travel documents with you. Be familiar with the immigration laws to avoid problems upon arrival. Book your travel ticket months ahead of the trip and reserve local transportation as well. Of course, don’t forget to look for a comfortable place to stay.

• Pack appropriate clothes. Research about the type of clothing that people in the place usually wear. Avoid wearing clothes that are deemed as impolite in that country.

• Bring extra snacks with you. Place some in your luggage and the others in your hand carry bag. You might get very hungry during the trip especially if it is a long one. The snacks can also sustain you until such time when you can find a local restaurant that you are comfortable with.

• Be familiar with the restrictions in certain countries. When traveling to Thailand for instance, you are not allowed to bring Buddha images with you. In some Arabic countries, bringing non-Islamic religious items is not allowed.

• Learn the local languages. Just learn the basics such as saying, “Thank You” or “I am sorry.” It is also important to know how to say the correct words especially if you have food restrictions that might be included in your order.

• Bring cash and credit cards. In some instances, credit cards would help a lot. However, in some countries where credit cards are not accepted in several stores, be ready to have cash with you.

WHAT TO DO UPON ARRIVAL

Look for a reliable money changer. It is advisable to change money to the country where you are going to rather than in your home country as the rate might be different. Money changes in your home country might also not have the currency that you need. In terms of rates, you need to know the exchange rate for the day to avoid being fooled by money changers.

• Do not give your luggage to anyone who offers help or just take a local taxi service if you don’t think they can be trusted enough. In some countries, cases of stolen bags are very rampant since some tourists think those who took their bags were porters. Others have also experienced taking a taxi that charged them twice the original amount or exorbitant fees.

• Look for a local telecom shop. Find out how you can easily communicate back to your home country or to the person you are with in case you get lost or something is wrong. Inquire about internet access inside and outside your hotel.

ENJOY THE ACTUAL TRIP

• Try out some street foods or local cuisines. It won’t kill you to give them a try. As long as you see how the food is being prepared and you buy only fresh meals, it is fine.

• Interact with the locals. Have small chit chats to learn more about their culture. If you can’t understand them, just smile and nod.

• Be polite. From the way you talk to the way you dress up, you need to move in accordance to the customs and traditions of the country. If you can try out their local costumes or have fun with their street performances, go ahead and do it.

• Don’t miss landmarks. If the country has a special landmark or an interesting activity that you must go to, you really should. You might not be back to the country again so you have to make the most out of your trip.

With these tips, traveling to an unfamiliar country for the first time is not that terrifying at all.

https://www.daytranslations.com/blog/2014/01/tips-for-first-time-travelers-to-an-unfamiliar-country-3744/
Good
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by kunalaren: 2:04pm On Aug 30, 2019
he Bowmasters mod apk is not some how-to game that will teach you how to use a bow. This game is about 41 crazy characters from different ..
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by jennifer247: 6:37am On Nov 01, 2019
Re: Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country by Rexnegro(m): 1:42am On Nov 03, 2019
LaughButton01:
no wahala let person go first to experience the lovely loneliness , bro as you see me so ehn loneliness is my surname make i just go first

(1) (2) (Reply)

COVID-19: 160 Nigerians Return From USA / Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? / Trailer Kills Yabatech Student In Abule Egba Due To Brake Failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.