Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,427 members, 7,836,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Suggest Some Reforms For Our Politicians. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Suggest Some Reforms For Our Politicians. (500 Views)

World Bank Gives Kachikwu Thumbs Up On NNPC Reforms / Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? / Are Most Of Our Politicians Really Gay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suggest Some Reforms For Our Politicians. by Viciyke(m): 6:44pm On Oct 18, 2010
Leaders are suppose 2 serve but in Nigeria the opposite is the case since we practically serve our leaders or rather our rulers. I was reading an article some days back and the writer was trying to suggest measures 2 deter the wrong set of politicians from holding office. He made some suggestions which sounds ok 2 me.

After reading it, av come up wit some of my own ideas 4 our politicians which i believe will make only those who wants 2 serve 2 go into politics.

1. All political office holders should b banned 4rm taking flights during the time of there tenure, this will enable them see the hardship road users go tru. (E.g Bad road, Robberies, Kidnapping, Accident, Police wahala, traffic jams) etc. This should be done only within the country and should be applicable more 2 our President and his V.P. Governor and there deputy, the entire National Assembly and State House of Assembly members, Ministers etc. If possible all political office holders. I believe if our so called leaders go through the rigours the common man goes through while travelling from Port Harcourt 2 Lagos or Abuja by road, something would be done urgently about it.

2. All political office holders should receive the same minimum wage salary civil servants receive with little or no differences. e.g. The President and his V.P. would receive a level 15 n above salary, Governors and there Deputies should receive level 12 - 15 salary while members of the National and State houses of assembly should receive level 10 - 12 salaray and so on n so forth. Mayb wit sum additional incentives or allowances etc.

3. Av not seen the benefit of the Youth Service in Nigeria yet so i propose dat all graduates should be sent 2 there respective villages 2 serve, afterall Charity begins at home. Imagine a scenario whereby The President or the Senate President or a Governor's child is posted 2 his village (i.e. if they school in Nigerian Uni) 2 serve wen there is no portable water, good road, light. security and a host of other basic infrastructure. He wud b inclined 2 make sure sumtin is done about it b4 his/her child gets there.

4. All security details attached 2 politicians should be redrawn or reduce cos the masses needs the security more and if they so desire security, they should patronise private security firms 4 themselves.

These ar jus sum suggestion dat came 2 my mind.

Wat do u guys tink and if possible add ur little contributions cos we don't know who might or may be reading it.

Tnks.
Re: Suggest Some Reforms For Our Politicians. by Ikengawo: 6:49pm On Oct 18, 2010
if you notice the pattern on Nairaland, ANYTHING the nigerian government does is bad and the government 'should do something else'

I saw that the FG was distributing helicopters to the eastern states to curb crime.
Nairalanders were against stopping crime cause they wanted 'the money to be used to create jobs' (even though in no functional country is the government expected to create jobs, it's the duty of private citizens that start private businesses)

I saw a thread where the government was building a free trade zone to boost our industrial output (creating jobs lol)
Nairalanders were mad the money was being spent on 'electricity' and 'education'

It boils down to a general and sad ignorance on this site. I can bet you money 90% of the 'reforms' ppl will post here will be ignorant. watch.
Re: Suggest Some Reforms For Our Politicians. by NnamdiN: 7:02pm On Oct 18, 2010
Death penalty to any convicted politician.Either by stoning d dude/chick to death or death by hanging. This should precede other reforms.
Re: Suggest Some Reforms For Our Politicians. by LouisThoru(f): 7:05pm On Oct 18, 2010
Thank you Ikengawo

They want politicians to change but they themselves dont see anything worth changing in themselves.

Anything government initiates, to them, it is an avenue for government to eat money. Anything government plans to do, to them, wise men and women, it is not necessary. When government announced the work on the Abuja Airport road, and the Kubwa road in Abuja, they cried and shouted why is it necessary, even those who havent been on the road to see why work has to be done expanding it, those who dont live around and those who will not even probably use the road shouted it is a waste, they are the wise men.

Our prayer is that may their likes never smell power in Nigeria.

Poster.

You want politicians to be reformed? and the people?
Re: Suggest Some Reforms For Our Politicians. by Viciyke(m): 7:10pm On Oct 18, 2010
We are all saying the same thing. We all want a changed Nigeria whereby everyone whether politicians or not would be reformed. Truly Criticisms has gotten us nowhere, but criticism is part of democracy if not i wonder what wud happen next,

So we should jus focus on getting the country back on the right track.
Re: Suggest Some Reforms For Our Politicians. by Ikengawo: 7:20pm On Oct 18, 2010
Thank you Ikengawo

They want politicians to change but they themselves dont see anything worth changing in themselves.

Anything government initiates, to them, it is an avenue for government to eat money. Anything government plans to do, to them, wise men and women, it is not necessary. When government announced the work on the Abuja Airport road, and the Kubwa road in Abuja, they cried and shouted why is it necessary, even those who havent been on the road to see why work has to be done expanding it, those who dont live around and those who will not even probably use the road shouted it is a waste, they are the wise men.

Our prayer is that may their likes never smell power in Nigeria.

Poster.

You want politicians to be reformed? and the people?

I agree, sadly.

I just made a post to celebrate how our civil institutions are becoming stronger then our criminal mafias that have held the country hostage as can be seen in Fayemi's victory in court over a corrupt election.

some responded

"Big deal, the same thing happened an Anambra"

as if I was stupid for thinking it was good that the same GOOD thing happened twice in 1 year.

it's pathetic but even when these politicians change for the better they are still hated and nairalanders want them to change.

In truth nigerians are just complainers. We complain about everything and anything at all times for no reason most of the time with half facts and its unfortunate. They only appreciate things when they're gone

i like how IBB and OBJ are now considered good leaders by a large number of ppl on this site
but when both men were in power the same ppl celebrating them were cursing their every move.

now GEJ is the devil.

When Soludo was in charge of CNB he was satan.
When he was sacked everyone felt he was a victim and Sanusi is now satan although he has proven to be one the the best bank heads in the history of the nation.

I want to form a group of emotionally stable nigerians to discuss nigeria's affairs with, but posting things on here is a sport for those prepared to embrace ignorance.
Re: Suggest Some Reforms For Our Politicians. by Ikengawo: 7:31pm On Oct 18, 2010
the #1 reform would like to see from our politicians is a academic democracy.

one where if you want to be a governor you need a 6 year degree, if you want to the a local government head you need a 4 year degree, if you want to be a president you need a 6 year degree in a list of subjects related to the course of governing or a degree specific to the science of governing.

The reason for this is studies have shown people with higher IQs are drastically less likely to steal, and drastically more likely to perform a job within the set rules, the 2 biggest problems in nigerian governance curbed in one blow

this will also

create a government of experts
create a government run by our best trained to govern
choke off the old order and usher in an era of new civilian leaders (most of the old order won't be qualified if not all of the old order)
create a unique democracy where education is as powerful in the political field as finance and thus cut corruption for the sake of running elections (what's the point of PDP stealing to run it's next election if it has no qualified politicians)

if you need a certificate to drive a car you should need one to govern a country of 150 million people, 1/5 of the black world, 1/4 of the african world, and the worlds 6th largest supplier of oil to the globe
Re: Suggest Some Reforms For Our Politicians. by LouisThoru(f): 9:28pm On Oct 18, 2010
IK.

You are right. When Yar Adua was alive, he was the worst thing to happen to Nigeria, the day he died, he became the best thing that Nigeria ever had.

Double talk people.
Re: Suggest Some Reforms For Our Politicians. by kcjazz(m): 9:51pm On Oct 18, 2010
Viciyke:

Leaders are suppose 2 serve but in Nigeria the opposite is the case since we practically serve our leaders or rather our rulers. I was reading an article some days back and the writer was trying to suggest measures 2 deter the wrong set of politicians from holding office. He made some suggestions which sounds ok 2 me.

After reading it, av come up wit some of my own ideas 4 our politicians which i believe will make only those who wants 2 serve 2 go into politics.

1. All political office holders should b banned 4rm taking flights during the time of there tenure, this will enable them see the hardship road users go tru. (E.g Bad road, Robberies, Kidnapping, Accident, Police wahala, traffic jams) etc. This should be done only within the country and should be applicable more 2 our President and his V.P. Governor and there deputy, the entire National Assembly and State House of Assembly members, Ministers etc. If possible all political office holders. I believe if our so called leaders go through the rigours the common man goes through while travelling from Port Harcourt 2 Lagos or Abuja by road, something would be done urgently about it.

Nice one, except Chachangi and others will be out of business, and then the same masses you are trying to protect will lose there jobs. I don't think there is any politician that doesn't know the plight of our roads. Some states don't have airports, hence a traveling politician will fly to a neighboring state before driving to his own state. The kleptomania in politics is saddening.

(1) (Reply)

Okah’s Brother Charles Meets Other Suspects In Sss Custody / Federal Government Set To Dump 6-3-3-4 Education System / Abuja Explosions: Suspect Sues Sss, Claims N500m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.