Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,476 members, 7,830,393 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? (4667 Views)

Worsening Economy: If You Have Shame, You Will Shut Up, FG Replies Ekweremadu / All Politicians Have Forgotten This "MUST SEE PHOTO" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by MrWhy1(m): 10:03am On Oct 10, 2011
I have been thinking about this, sometimes I wonder if they are humans.

Let me give you a tale of two scenarios.

When a politician in most western, some Asian, Latin American and even African countries are caught in illegal act or breaches code of ethics. They quickly resign and lay low because their integrity and dignity have been severely damaged. They shy away from Camera and publicly apologize to their country men.

But in Nigeria particularly, the reverse is the case. When a politician is caught, they parade in front of camera's smiling with a huge hip on their shoulder. They try to justify their wrong and go the extent of raping the justice system. They see this as being smart and tough. They go back to their hometowns and villages and are welcome and celebrated as heroes.

Is illegality becoming culturally accepted in our society?
Where is the dignity? Where is the conscience?

I keep wondering.
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by don33310(m): 7:16pm On Oct 10, 2011
NO,They don't have.
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by Gbawe: 7:33pm On Oct 10, 2011
Mr--Why:

I have been thinking about this, sometimes I wonder if they are humans.

Let me give you a tale of two scenarios.

When a politician in most western, some Asian, Latin American and even African countries are caught in illegal act or breaches code of ethics. They quickly resign and lay low because their integrity and dignity have been severely damaged. They shy away from Camera and publicly apologize to their country men.

But in Nigeria particularly, the reverse is the case. When a politician is caught, they parade in front of camera's smiling with a huge hip on their shoulder. They try to justify their wrong and go the extent of Desecrating the justice system. They see this as being smart and tough. They go back to their hometowns and villages and are welcome and celebrated as heroes.

Is illegality becoming culturally accepted in our society?
Where is the dignity? Where is the conscience?

I keep wondering.

This is what any responsible Government , that really wants to transform Nigeria, must genuinely try to overcome. No Government will be perfect but for Nigeria to make progress in reversing the culture of impunity and casual corruption, then the Government of the day must have a high number of members with undoubted integrity. You don't for example make a crook like Aondoakaa the AGF and then expect that there will be a genuine drive to prosecute corruption zealously.
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 10:13am On Oct 11, 2011
untill we all nigerians unite nd become one,then shall we see better days. And for our shameless politicianz,there judgement awaits for them in heaven, [color=Black][/color][b][/b] embarassed
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by omoalayo(m): 10:15am On Oct 11, 2011
I dont tink so, cos there re many of them after bin arrested, And brought 2 the front of camera, U see them smiling like someone who jst got a new bride, I think this is one of the reasons we nid boko haram,
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by daywatcher: 10:25am On Oct 11, 2011
how can we stop them from being welcomed as heroes when they return their hometowns and villages
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by anthony86(m): 10:27am On Oct 11, 2011
thats our naija factor and these so called politicians are used to it,,,they knw that they can get away with anything,,so to them it will be so boring while serving their term without any form of corruption,,its nw a way of serving their fathersland,,,afterall a son is entitled to his fathers inheritance,,,,grin grin grin
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by femmy2010(m): 10:29am On Oct 11, 2011
No
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by SwiftSMS(f): 10:31am On Oct 11, 2011
Do our politicians have shame and conscience?

Laughing my head off that you would even ask.

I seriously doubt it. Did I say doubt?   shocked

Let me rephrase: Hell No, they don't have an iota of shame or conscience.

That doesn't surprise me any longer I think we need a Jerry Rawlings of Nigeria who will not be afraid to rock the boat and turn things around for good.

1 Like

Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by JUO(m): 10:33am On Oct 11, 2011
no
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by omo9ja1(m): 10:37am On Oct 11, 2011
I feel they don't have any conscience, but I know that one day will be one day monkey will go market but will never return

God bless Nigeria
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by MrWhy1(m): 10:41am On Oct 11, 2011
@Gbawe

You are on point. That is the problem. Putting those who have questionable records at the helm of affairs. They contaminate our culture with utter greed by legitimizing bribery and corruption.

Before in many Nigeria communities, when you do something shameful, you will be ex-communicated by the community through value consensus, even your family will to some extent bear the brunt of your disgraceful act.

But in this present day Nigeria, you will hear someone proudly say , "If I became a politician, me too go loot my own share". Some even go much further believing that "Money is everything and better than education". Our values are fast eroding and this is a dangerous trend for the future leaders-- the Youth--who make up about 70% of our population.
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by nasty45(m): 10:47am On Oct 11, 2011
in one word. mbanu
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by usbcable(m): 10:52am On Oct 11, 2011
I really wished deeeeeeeep within my heart that they had one or both.
Sadly they dont.
and are far off from wanting one.
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 11, 2011
Sad, they dont. In most cases, it dies when they get there!!
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by profatom: 10:58am On Oct 11, 2011
i think they have but it have been sold to corruption, soo dey no longer control it, wht a pity
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by MrWhy1(m): 11:00am On Oct 11, 2011
I dont tink so, cos there re many of them after bin arrested, And brought 2 the front of camera, U see them smiling like someone who jst got a new bride, I think this is one of the reasons we nid boko haram,

That smile they always showcase is an insult to every Nigerian--born and unborn-- dignity.

If it wasn't the way boko haram went about their operations targeting innocent civilians in between. If they had stick to the obvious right target with a honest secular agenda, they would have won sympathy from many Nigerians.
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by chakula: 11:06am On Oct 11, 2011
Don't need to generalized, however over 83% out of them weren't ashamed of themselves imagine what had happened in I think is either Nassarawa or Plateau state there was paraded of 4 top government officials been charged with embezzlement with government funds you could imagine one accused dude discharging a nice smile while in court, it was published on daily trust front page. Nigeria needs people to re-shape the image of it or else having degradation continuously.
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by pinkrex(m): 11:14am On Oct 11, 2011
They are beasts forged from the pit of hell. Forged to have no conscience or guilt of any form. Why do you think Northern Leaders have been dominantly ruling for decades yet their own political zones and states lag 80% behind in every thing? undecided
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by Imagineers: 11:17am On Oct 11, 2011
A lot of research has shown that our culture is bad.  I got this while listening to Fela's music sometime ago.  

The government is driven by the system; the system is driven by the people; the people are driven by the culture.

If someone in Nigeria lives in a bungalow went out to serve the people and return to the same bungalow he is looked down upon as a fool.  We virtually sent out our leaders to go and steal, the more they steal the more they are celebrated. This is very much African.

This is why it is very difficult to eradicate corruption from our system.  Corruption in Africa is culturally driven!! Anybody who is so much bent in tackling corruption will step on so many traditional rulers and name it. Our society shields people from being punished for corruption!
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by werepeLeri: 11:19am On Oct 11, 2011
OP

Do you have shame and conscience?
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by blacksta(m): 11:31am On Oct 11, 2011
werepeLeri:

OP

WHat kind of dumb response is this - Please be advised, you dont win a prize for increase in posts
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by pinkrex(m): 11:38am On Oct 11, 2011
werepeLeri:

OP

You claim to supersede everyone here with knowledge. . . . . . however, you always display your irrationality to sensitive issues. I have noticed your subjective approaches towards posts on NL and I think its high time you check it man. You always throw out raw comments even when not necessary just to gain attention or gain grounds to bully with ill words. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by werepeLeri: 11:52am On Oct 11, 2011
pinkrex:

You claim to supersede everyone here with knowledge. . . . . . however, you always display your irrationality to sensitive issues. I have noticed your subjective approaches towards posts on NL and I think its high time you check it man. You always throw out raw comments even when not necessary just to gain attention or gain grounds to bully with ill words. undecided undecided undecided undecided

So- I should start crying for this piece you wrote? or what? Gain attention on NairaLand? You are a clown.
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by blacksta(m): 11:56am On Oct 11, 2011
Werepeleri

It is u that is a BIG FAT CLOWN -   What you gain from your backward mentality i dont know.  - Ol boy stick to selling SAT NAV map  grin
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:57am On Oct 11, 2011
@ OP

Shame or conscience?!!

Lets start with something more simple like a heart!!

Bode George, stole billions, was tried, convicted and sent to jail, On his release, a CHURCH thanksgiving was held for him, his supporters and politician friends came out enmass to support him and cheer him on. I couldnt even believe that a pastor would let a known crook climb the alter. No apology was rendered, nothing,

Cecilia Ibru, stole, was tried and convicted. Spent a few days in jail and was sent home on medical grounds and placed under house arrest.

Demeji Bankole, Stole our money, was arrested in a mission impossible style arrest. Today he is walking around freely.

Peter Odili, Robbed Rivers State blind for 4 years, Left Rivers State and is currently living in Abuja. He cannot return to Rivers State not even for a visit. But he is still a top member of the PDP board of trustees,

and the list goes on, and on,

What we need is a government who isnt scared of Nobody, Someone who would be elected into office as an INDEPENDENT candidate with no party affiliations whatsoever, Who would in his 4 year tenure handout atleast 20 sentences of atleast 15 year jail term to some of the so-called untouchables walking around today in the corridors of power,

Until we make people scared to steal, the bull will continue
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by werepeLeri: 11:57am On Oct 11, 2011
blacksta:

Werepeleri

It is u that is a BIG FAT CLOWN -   What you gain from your backward mentality i dont know.  - Ol boy stick to selling SAT NAV map  grin

So - i should still cry or what? You are a big fat wedding planner. Keep selling baby wears in the open market.

I asked him that simple question because he is Nigerian. And see the reaction you you and the other gaari shopper had?

No Nigerian, I repeat, No Nigerian, here or abroad has conscience or shame when it comes to public or government issues. None.

So, BlackSta - do you have shame or conscience?

We are often deluded to think the only way Nigeria can be better is to accuse politicians while we shift focus from ourselves as citizens.
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by Otunbakay(m): 12:04pm On Oct 11, 2011
Nigerians 're now more aware of the masive rots in government and 're now more prepared more than ever to engage them in whatever manner possible.
Trust me on this -NIGERIANS 're no longer FOOLS and can no longer be tammed and taking for a ride. WATCH OUT.
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by werepeLeri: 12:07pm On Oct 11, 2011
^^^^

Excuse me. What is going to happen. I want to be a part o. Please elaborate rather than saying watch out.
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by pinkrex(m): 12:10pm On Oct 11, 2011
werepeLeri:

So- I should start crying for this piece you wrote? or what? Gain attention on NairaLand? You are a clown.

Garbage in garbage out undecided undecided

So what do you spend your time doing, asking subjective questions? undecided
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by MrWhy1(m): 12:12pm On Oct 11, 2011
@werepeLeri

OP

If I didn't, I wouldn't come up with the question in the first place.

I am inclined and passionate to seeing the most populous black nation thrive ,prosper and takes it rightful place in the world.
Re: Do Our Politicians Have Shame And Conscience? by werepeLeri: 12:12pm On Oct 11, 2011
pinkrex:

[tt][/tt]

Garbage in garbage out undecided undecided

So what do you spend your time doing, asking subjective questions? undecided

Looks like you saw me in your dream today? Sorry o. I am not the cause of your hunger.

The question I asked is valid. If its not valid to you, gloss over. or go to bed or simple keep shut.

People are Nigerians first before they are politicians. Being politicians doesnt make them shameless and without conscience. The OP himself even agreed to this by his reference to other countries.

So, the question is, why are Nigerians shameless and without conscience. This is my explanation before you start hitting your own head with coke bottle because of a simple question.

(1) (2) (Reply)

[UPDATED] NBC, security operatives hunt Radio Biafra sponsors / President Buhari Invites PDP Member To Help Revive The Economy / “I Never Insulted Buhari, It Is You Journalists That Misquoted Me” Says Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.