Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) (16738 Views)

Street Boys Steal SARS Official's Phone During Illegal Search (Video) / Soldiers, Police Officers Killed During Kidnap Attempt In Rivers. Graphic Photos / Inspector Yemisi Makinde Who Was Killed During Offa Bank Robbery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by GistMore3: 5:54am On Aug 07, 2019
The family of an artisan, Tunji Quadri, who was killed during the demolition of illegal structures in the Mile 2 area of Lagos State by the Task Force on Environmental Sanitation and Special Offences (Enforcement) Unit, has demanded justice for him.

PUNCH Metro gathered that during the demolition on Monday, gunshots were indiscriminately fired and a bullet hit the victim, who later died.

Tunji’s boss, who spoke with our correspondent on condition of anonymity, said the task force officials immediately dispersed the crowd that had gathered and took his corpse away.

He added that the family had not been able to retrieve the corpse from the mortuary.

He said, “Tunji worked as an injector repairer. When the task force team came to commence the demolition, I was called and I went to beg their boss to allow the people move their things out, which he obliged. As soon as he left, the operatives said the residents should stop packing their things and denied us access to their boss.

“While we were still begging them, they arrested me and locked me up in their Black Maria alongside one other person. They started shooting indiscriminately and a stray bullet hit Tunji. The task force men immediately dispersed the crowd and took the body away.

“I and the other arrested persons were taken to the task force’s office in Oshodi and detained till around 5pm. We were made to write statements. They told me to write that they fired gunshots because people were throwing stones at them, but I insisted that I would not write that because that was not the true account of what happened. We paid between N50,000 and N60,000 before we were released.

“As soon as I was released, I notified Tunji’s family and we went to Ikorodu, where we learnt that he was taken to check if he was still alive. They then took us to the mortuary, where they kept him, but his corpse has not been released to us. We learnt that he was first taken to hospital but he later died.”

Man arrested for kidnapping, cattle rustling in Katsina
Tunji’s elder brother, Mutiu, said the 28-year-old’s death had thrown the family into mourning, adding that the victim was not a troublemaker.

Mutiu said, “I was called from the village by one of my siblings, who asked me to find out what happened to Tunji. I immediately sent someone to go and check on him. It was that person who confirmed that he was shot and had died.

“They have cheated my family and I seek justice for my brother’s death. He did not do anything and he was not a troublemaker; he was only trying to pack his things when he was shot. The government is not supposed to do this to us. We demand the release of his corpse so that we can bury him in the Islamic way.”

When the spokesman for the task force, Adebayo Taofeek, was contacted, he said the deceased was hit by a bullet fired by protesting miscreants, adding that the agency only tried to save his life.

Taofeek stated, “The Lagos State Government, with the intention of expanding the Lagos-Badagry Expressway, served the owners of illegal shanties, kiosks and containerised shops from Eric Moore to the Trade Fair Complex a seven-day notice to quit. The notice to quit expired two weeks ago and the inter-ministerial agency responsible for the demolition, which comprises the task force, the Lagos State Ministry of Transportation, the state Environmental Sanitation Corps, the Neighbourhood Safety Corps and the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency swung into action.

“By Monday, we got to Mile 2. We had prior information that there was a hotel besides the bridge at Mile 2, which served as an abode for hoodlums, who used to attack motorists and snatch phones and bags. We realised that it was an illegal hotel and it was part of those structures served with the demolition notice.

“We were about to pull down the hotel when a military personnel, identified as Sergeant Okafor, came from the army barracks with his men and attacked the officials of the task force.

“He was trying to force our officials not to demolish the property, because he said it belonged to him. We eventually succeeded in demolishing the property, but the miscreants, who were using it as an abode, came out with guns and started shooting at us.

“We withdrew from the operation found out that somebody had already dropped to the floor. We rescued the person and we moved him to the emergency centre at the Toll Gate, where the doctor attended to him.

“It was after about an hour that the person died. The centre said it didn’t have a mortuary and we had to move him to Ikorodu. We came back to the office hoping to see anybody who could come to identify the body. We recovered Indian hemp and dangerous weapons from the scene of the operation and also made some arrests; the suspects will subsequently be prosecuted.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/artisan-killed-during-illegal-structures-demolition-in-lagos/amp/

1 Share

Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by GistMore3: 5:57am On Aug 07, 2019
Lalasticlala
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by aanuoluwami14(f): 6:01am On Aug 07, 2019
cry

1 Like

Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by Auxtin85(m): 6:30am On Aug 07, 2019
Why did they snap him like that after death too bad
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by skyhighweb(m): 7:04am On Aug 07, 2019
ehya

Fast Rising Afro-Groove Artist “Femibalhard”, also known as the “GROOVESMACHINE” has released his First single of the Year titled “Banku”.

http://www.soundlala.com/track_audio.php?id=896

Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by bamasite(m): 10:21am On Aug 07, 2019
RIP.

Life really is not fair
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 07, 2019
Auxtin85:
Why did they snap him like that after death too bad

Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by Olukologia24592(m): 10:23am On Aug 07, 2019
My hatred for this zoo called country is becoming too much. Death is becoming a daily thing on the news
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by Nwaedeinya(m): 10:23am On Aug 07, 2019
rttyghjouiytcyvgbhnjm
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by fatymore(f): 10:23am On Aug 07, 2019
our police needs orientation on arm shooting. killing innocent people up and down.

My Muslim Brothers and Sisters.

Ileya is coming and I am sure you would like to go home for EID.
Why dont you change your beddings for chikini money?

You can also gift grandma and grandpa as gift. I am sure they would like it.

Price varies but can be as low as 3,000 with pillow cases for bedsheets.

Happy EID Celebration in advance.

1 Like

Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by Xcelinteriors(f): 10:24am On Aug 07, 2019
Shitt hole country. Those animals just murdered a man that is hustling to make ends meet. God will judge them
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by baddosky1: 10:27am On Aug 07, 2019
Happy Next Level
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by Druhgzz(m): 10:29am On Aug 07, 2019
1 plot of land for sale in a fast growing location, Unity Estate Oda road Akure Ondo state.

N1, 500, 000 only.

Call 08135320871
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by BlackfireX: 10:30am On Aug 07, 2019
Lagos a glorified slum...

Argue with the dead artisan
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by jimmyLd101: 10:30am On Aug 07, 2019
'Man arrested for kidnapping, cattle rustling in Katsina'. Waiting this one find enter the story

2 Likes

Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by goldenarrow: 10:32am On Aug 07, 2019
Nigeria, God please have mercy and console his people.

1 Like

Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by segebase(m): 10:34am On Aug 07, 2019
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by Smooyis(m): 10:37am On Aug 07, 2019
Too much wickedness from the law enforcers shocked shocked shocked
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by Angelfrost(m): 10:37am On Aug 07, 2019
Wait a sec... Is it that blank bullets/ammunition are not readily available to our law enforcement especially for use during demonstrations or riots, or the officers simply enjoy taking innocent lives?... These are issues I expect the useless house of assembly to raise and address.

1 Like

Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 07, 2019
Careless talk from our governor

WeChat and Alipay fund available.
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by naijadrivablog: 10:39am On Aug 07, 2019
They have started. They were given deadline.

See: https://www.nairaland.com/5310615/task-force-gives-deadline-illegal
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by ALEXANDER51: 10:42am On Aug 07, 2019
them done kill am
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by GMbuharii: 10:48am On Aug 07, 2019
Olukologia24592:
My hatred for this zoo called country is becoming too much. Death is becoming a daily thing on the news

Olu,but you voted for change nah

grin
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by GMbuharii: 10:50am On Aug 07, 2019
I was there that day....
Awon boys almost mobbed me when I was snapping....I quickly disappeared grin

Rip to the deceased

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by slimfit1(m): 10:57am On Aug 07, 2019
Shedi inner like the suffering carry on RIP to the dead.
Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 11:09am On Aug 07, 2019
GMbuharii:
I was there that day....
Awon boys almost mobbed me when I was snapping....I quickly disappeared grin

Rip to the deceased
what?!! shocked humans live there?

Dammm!! that place will be full with all manners of bacterias and infections. Good idea to Demolish that whole slum.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Artisan Killed During Illegal Structures’ Demolition In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 11:11am On Aug 07, 2019
Why is it that Nigerians do not follow simple instructions? they were given a week notice, and After 2 weeks the were still there sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Rapes 6-year Old Girl / Hartford Man Drives Stolen Car To Court To Face Stolen Car Charge / Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.