Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,080 members, 7,818,234 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary (39611 Views)

An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? / More Nigerians Applying For FRSC 2018 Recruitment Than Previous Years / 4 Funny Ways To Impress Interviewers At Any Interview And Get The Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by alBHAGDADI: 8:10am On Aug 10, 2019
adecz:
sad

You are teaching a job hunter how
to go and argue with his potential employers abi??

sad

No, oy letting him know his right and how to prevent the employer from asking how he gets his wife pregnant.

It's called privacy.
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by bigerboy200: 8:10am On Aug 10, 2019
Doesn’t work all the time.
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by qanda: 8:11am On Aug 10, 2019
Ace your next Job Interview

When you get a chance to interview for your dream job, you don't want a below par performance to cost you the job....

Don't be like the newbie graduates who recount their family tree and favorite meal when asked, ' tell us about yourself ' or those who suddenly develop sweaty palms and lose their balance when asked behavioural questions like:

- Have you ever made a mistake, how did you handle it?

- Describe a time when you had to handle a very upset customer?

- Tell me a time when you worked effectively under pressure?

Watch free interview prep resources on the video section of Q and A App. Download the App from playstore https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tolu.qanda

Prepare for your next interview now.

Share this information with your loved ones.
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by zcee: 8:12am On Aug 10, 2019
what if they ask you how much do you want to be paid or why did you live your previous company to join theirs...what is the answers to these questions,please drop ur own contributions
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Prideofthelion: 8:13am On Aug 10, 2019
Mmmh...bros b like say ur from a family with huge financial muscle...as nwa naija..u have to be smart. Use the type of brain grandmama's use to pour oil inside food without measuring it to know what to tell them. U can even make researches on the type of salary range peculiar to ur potential job. A simple question how much were u paid....and u begin to dance soapy..mba kwa oo.
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by SEGLIZ: 8:14am On Aug 10, 2019
Davoneskay:
E be like job no deh hungry u. To say u don rust for house after graduation, u for know wetin deh do u.

not everyone is desperate beside that question is for people that are opting from one job to the other for better upgrade not those that are still seeking or seeking employment for the first time.
mind you job interview are always technical the question might be to know how desperate you are, of which you might end up shooting yourself on the leg believing you're being smart. take note nterviewers don't expecting you to divulge discrete info even if they ask you, they believe you will always beat your way round the question.

1 Like

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by RuddyFusion(m): 8:17am On Aug 10, 2019
qanda:
This approach will be for a beginner. Some prospective employers even request for payslips from previous employer. Above response is too dramatic...I strongly discourage it.

I think what is important is for the job seeker to know his/her relative worth and do your homework to know the average salary scale for that Industry or Job role.

Come to think of it, let's say you earned N50,000 at your previous job, and you are aware the role you are interviewing for can pay N200,000. Must you tell the interviewer you earned N50,000

If I am to advice, the appropriate answers to consider are:

1. "I believe you have a rate for this job role"
2. You probe... "How much are you offering for this position"
3. If you have done your homework or know your relative worth, "I have a salary scale between N150,000 - N200000 in mind" or you name the minimum salary you can accept.
4. "I earned N100,000 at my last workplace, and believe I deserve a better compensation, if they paid me more, I may still be with them"

Bottomline is that you should know your stuff. Make sure your are valuable, an asset, resourceful..that is what counts.

Whenever you attend an interview, go there with a mindset that you are there to help the company achieve their goal, they need you as much as you need them. So be composed and confident.

This is a better approach
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by ubcandid(m): 8:17am On Aug 10, 2019
fergie001:

He meant forgery and I think that's the opinion of the house grin grin grin

Lol, so after receiving salary, a slip is given by the coy or you get from the bank?
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Cantonese: 8:17am On Aug 10, 2019
Davoneskay:
E be like job no deh hungry u. To say u don rust for house after graduation, u for know wetin deh do u.

That's why some people will take stupid salaries, just because they sat at home. End up with slave salaries, wicked job conditions and die in those jobs. Employers take advantage of foolish job seekers and try to disrespect employees and so on. Please if you are tired of sitting at home try self employment and have your peace of mind.

1 Like

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by goat22: 8:18am On Aug 10, 2019
The correct thing to do is bring kola nut to the interview inside tea plate. Be chewing it small small then drink water. Water is good o for your system.
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by lagdmark(m): 8:18am On Aug 10, 2019
adecz:
sad

You are teaching a job hunter how
to go and argue with his potential employers abi??

sad
The poster is probably making references to European labour market, certainly not in Nigerian environment.

1 Like

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by 042mafia(m): 8:19am On Aug 10, 2019
Lol.Make nobody follow this advice oo.N.a. "you'll hear from us"n.a. E go follow you ok.
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by qanda: 8:24am On Aug 10, 2019
During my most recent interview, the company MD asked a question about the previous works I have executed successfully, I gave an idea... but he wanted me to mention the exact project titles (has to do with oil and gas industry tendering).

I told him I don't cram project titles and that I can reference them from my laptop. I went further to tell him that the questions he is asking me is not what demonstrates if I am fit for the job.

He was quite for a moment and asked what questions would demonstrate I am fit for the role. I said, 'I think the question you should ask is, 'what do you do when you receive a tender?', 'what steps do you take while responding to a tender?', the interviewer gave me a nod to answer the questions I suggested, I did and got the job.

I am sharing this to emphasize you need to be confident during interviews (you must be polite too) and know that the employer needs you as much as you need them. Just show them that you know your stuff and that you are the right fit for the job.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by fergie001: 8:24am On Aug 10, 2019
ubcandid:

Lol, so after receiving salary, a slip is given by the coy or you get from the bank?
No...
What it means is that your salary is detailed and attached to your employment letter.
Most oftentimes than not, when interviewing for new jobs you are been asked to present the job slip from your previous company.

That one now is what the House says can be forged grin
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by fergie001: 8:27am On Aug 10, 2019
lagdmark:

The poster is probably making references to European labour market, certainly not in Nigerian environment.
All of you should take this guy's advise ooooo, very very important.

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by chrisxxx(m): 8:30am On Aug 10, 2019
Oando asked me same I bluntly refused. I reminded them of their core values-TRIPPS
T: Teamwork
R: Respect
I: Integrity
P:Passion
P: Professionalism
I keyed onto Respect to my then employer with Integrity and utmost form of Professionalism.
It was intensed. But I held on. At the end there was no compromise.
I was not called back, I called the HR he was nice I must say. Though he said my performance was not up to expectations. However that I could have done myself a favour if I had mentioned my then salary as that could have given them a choice to place me as a trainee.

1 Like

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by lomprico(m): 8:34am On Aug 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:
One thing Nigerian HRs and recruiters need to respect is the privacy of job seekers. It's intrusive to ask or compel a job seeker to state the salary his previous company paid him monthly. They ask this question just so they can know how to price you down below what the vacant role is offering. Or perhaps to know if you will be demanding far more than the role offers.

The best way to beat that stupid question is by telling those who ask tje question that such is confidential, which is why you won't want to disclose it.

If they press further, tell them that the reason why it is confidential is because your previous company kicks against present and ex-employees of theirs revealing their salary structure.

If they press further, tell them it won't be fair on your previous company if you reveal the salary structure just as this prospective company won't like to see an employee or ex-employees of theirs exposing their salary structure to others or on social media. Make sure you say all of these with an innocent face and watch how the nosy people will change subject. smiley

Nonsense. They can't state the amount they want to offer you because they believe it should be private for now, yet they want to know about your previous salary.

you no want the job noni!
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by ubcandid(m): 8:38am On Aug 10, 2019
fergie001:

No...
What it means is that your salary is detailed and attached to your employment letter.
Most oftentimes than not, when interviewing for new jobs you are been asked to present the job slip from your previous company.

That one now is what the House says can be forged grin

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Haven't been under the shell of an employer before. Good to know.
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by qanda: 8:39am On Aug 10, 2019
chrisxxx:
Oando asked me same I bluntly refused. I reminded them of their core values-TRIPPS
I keyed onto Respect to my then employer with Integrity and utmost form of Professionalism.
I was not called back, I called the HR he was nice I must say. Though he said my performance was not up to expectations. However that I could have done myself a favour if I had mentioned my then salary as that could have given them a choice to place me as a trainee.

That's not the best approach. I hope you have read my suggestions on this thread.
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by shogz89: 8:40am On Aug 10, 2019
chrisxxx:
. Sorry about that. Most HR will tell you not to disclose their salary structure but will be the first to ask an interviewee about his current pay.. One just have to be smart about it.. Know your worth.

1 Like

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by airsaylongcon: 8:41am On Aug 10, 2019
ubcandid:

Are you saying that you don't get a payslip that states your earnings and deductions?! shocked
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by eneyoduke(m): 8:43am On Aug 10, 2019
With this reply you will only hear, thank you we will call you.

1 Like

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Humility017(m): 8:47am On Aug 10, 2019
qanda:
During my most recent interview, the company MD asked a question about the previous works I have executed successfully, I gave an idea... but he wanted me to mention the exact project titles (has to do with oil and gas industry tendering).

I told him I don't cram project titles and that I can reference them from my laptop. I went further to tell him that the questions he is asking me is not what demonstrates if I am fit for the job.

He was quite for a moment and asked what questions would demonstrate I am fit for the role. I said, 'I think the question you should ask is, 'what do you do when you receive a tender?', 'what steps do you take while responding to a tender?', the interviewer gave me a nod to answer the questions I suggested, I did and got the job.

I am sharing this to emphasis you need to be confident during interviews (you must be polite too) and know that the employer needs you as much as you need them. Just show them that you know your stuff and that you are the right fit for the job.

awww you're into business development for an oil and gas coy?
I am too but my salary is way low
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by SEGLIZ: 8:49am On Aug 10, 2019
Cantonese:

That's why some people will take stupid salaries, just because they sat at home. End up with slave salaries, wicked job conditions and die in those jobs. Employers take advantage of foolish job seekers and try to disrespect employees and so on. Please if you are tired of sitting at home try self employment and have your peace of mind.

I thought I was the only one that saw that dumb reasoning.
I work with a school paying me 15k even that I my cosmetic and pharmaceutical business thriving gradually been managed by my wife.
I leave home 6am return 5pm at the earliest, no room to seat through the period at the I return home nagging my wife. I did this to add to my stream of income, mind before I left the teaching job the business collapsed. not as a result of mismanagement from my wife but the job I picked.
the woman new I was into such things other than encourage me by demanding for supply to the school she demand we teach her how produce for school use very stingy fellow I may say.
out of frustration I left the job but today I earn twice and half at the least right at my door step teaching kids for two hours daily just 4-6 pm everyday against 13hours without appreciation.
mind you I have the rest hours of the day to make use for other profitable things, controlling my time and all. that man should keep waiting for ready made job that would enslave him - from personal experience.
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by ubcandid(m): 8:50am On Aug 10, 2019
airsaylongcon:

Are you saying that you don't get a payslip that states your earnings and deductions?! shocked

Never worked under someone.
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by airsaylongcon: 8:53am On Aug 10, 2019
ubcandid:

Never worked under someone.

Well that's a good route.

But I'm guessing you employ someone (even that someone is you). You should be on a payroll issuing payslips. It should be a good new addition to your business process as it will greatly assist your accounting

2 Likes

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by qanda: 8:55am On Aug 10, 2019
Humility017:

awww you're into business development for an oil and gas coy?
I am too but my salary is way low
Sorry about the low pay. Be on the lookout for opportunities and leave your current employer as soon as possible.... low is relative though. My assumption is that your pay is below N150,000...if that is correct.. how many years of experience do you have -2 or 3?

Bottomline, the best way to get a pay raise in 9ja is to leave your current employer.
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Angelfrost(m): 8:55am On Aug 10, 2019
qanda:
This approach will be for a beginner. Some prospective employers even request for payslips from previous employer. Above response is too dramatic...I strongly discourage it.

I think what is important is for the job seeker to know his/her relative worth and do your homework to know the average salary scale for that Industry or Job role.

Come to think of it, let's say you earned N50,000 at your previous job, and you are aware the role you are interviewing for can pay N200,000. Must you tell the interviewer you earned N50,000

If I am to advice, the appropriate answers to consider are:

1. "I believe you have a rate for this job role"
2. You probe... "How much are you offering for this position"
3. If you have done your homework or know your relative worth, "I have a salary scale between N150,000 - N200000 in mind" or you name the minimum salary you can accept.
4. "I earned N100,000 at my last workplace, and believe I deserve a better compensation, if they paid me more, I may still be with them"

Bottomline is that you should know your stuff. Make sure you are valuable, an asset, resourceful..that is what counts.

Whenever you attend an interview, go there with a mindset that you are there to help the company achieve their goal, they need you as much as you need them. So be composed and confident.

After all this your write up, you concluded by encouraging job applicants to lie barefacedly... The Op's approach is way better for godly people, and those with integrity. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by steve6: 9:06am On Aug 10, 2019
Nice !
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by AntiWailer: 9:10am On Aug 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:
One thing Nigerian HRs and recruiters need to respect is the privacy of job seekers. It's intrusive to ask or compel a job seeker to state the salary his previous company paid him monthly. They ask this question just so they can know how to price you down below what the vacant role is offering. Or perhaps to know if you will be demanding far more than the role offers.

The best way to beat that stupid question is by telling those who ask tje question that such is confidential, which is why you won't want to disclose it.

If they press further, tell them that the reason why it is confidential is because your previous company kicks against present and ex-employees of theirs revealing their salary structure.

If they press further, tell them it won't be fair on your previous company if you reveal the salary structure just as this prospective company won't like to see an employee or ex-employees of theirs exposing their salary structure to others or on social media. Make sure you say all of these with an innocent face and watch how the nosy people will change subject. smiley

Nonsense. They can't state the amount they want to offer you because they believe it should be private for now, yet they want to know about your previous salary.

All these children.

Where do you people see all these rubbish from ?

Once u give me that response, that is the end of the interview and trust me I hire the smartest dudes in my industry.

If u know ur worth u can be earning 60k currently and make up Ur mind without 250k u are not moving

You make it clear that current is 60k u expect 250k and it is non negotiable.

As for those who will like to lie, Ur 3-6 months pay slip would be asked for before u are given offer. They will see that the potential hire has no integrity and value

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by ubcandid(m): 9:10am On Aug 10, 2019
airsaylongcon:

Well that's a good route.

But I'm guessing you employ someone (even that someone is you). You should be on a payroll issuing payslips. It should be a good new addition to your business process as it will greatly assist your accounting

Cool, would be in that path less than six months from now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance / Nigerian Air Force Ranks And Salary Structure (official) / Nigerian Army Short Service Combatant Recruitment 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.