Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,359 members, 7,836,463 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

UAE Court Rules Men Can Beat Wives - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / UAE Court Rules Men Can Beat Wives (1679 Views)

Shamma AlMazrui Appointed As Youth Minister In The UAE (photo) / Zuma And Wives / Xenophobia: Nigerian Men Are Snatching Our Wives – South African Politician (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UAE Court Rules Men Can Beat Wives by AloyEmeka5: 7:37pm On Oct 19, 2010
[size=14pt]UAE court rules men can beat wives[/size]

The Federal Supreme Court in the United Arab Emirates has ruled that a man can beat his wife and young children as long as no marks are left, The National newspaper reports.

The court ruled that "a man has the right to discipline his wife and children provided he does not leave physical marks", the Abu Dhabi-owned newspaper reported in its online edition on Monday.

"Although the (law) permits the husband to use his right (to discipline), he has to abide by the limits of this right," it quoted Chief Justice Falah al-Hajeri as having written in a ruling released in a court document on Sunday.The court ruled that a man who "slapped and kicked his daughter and slapped his wife" violated his "right" under sharia, or Islamic law, to discipline his wife and children, as he beat his wife too severely and his daughter, aged 23, was too old for such discipline, the newspaper said.

The UAE is less conservative than some Gulf countries such as Saudi Arabia, where women cannot drive and need a male guardian's permission to travel.

But Islamic religious law remains a part of the legal framework in the UAE, which also has secular laws.http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8108339
Re: UAE Court Rules Men Can Beat Wives by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 19, 2010
allahu akbar
Re: UAE Court Rules Men Can Beat Wives by montelik(m): 12:52pm On Oct 20, 2010
I guess this means we will see an increase in d number of Nigerian husbands (wife beaters) applying for UAE visas grin.
Re: UAE Court Rules Men Can Beat Wives by AloyEmeka5: 2:25pm On Oct 20, 2010
I still baffle at Islamic laws sometimes. What if a man is married to a woman older than him, should he discipline her too?. Does that mean that women and children are the only ones who make mistakes and nit men?. Why this emphasis on men disciplining women?
Re: UAE Court Rules Men Can Beat Wives by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 20, 2010
that isnt new, beating ones wife is "supposedly" allowed by many muslims:

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl8g8S6F3do?fs=1&hl=en_US"[/flash]

or

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp3Eam5FX58?fs=1&hl=en_US"[/flash]

as the arab proverb goes:" beat your wife once a day, if you dont know why, she will"
Re: UAE Court Rules Men Can Beat Wives by Nobody: 9:13pm On Oct 20, 2010
montelik:

I guess this means we will see an increase in d number of Nigerian husbands (wife beaters) applying for UAE visas grin.
. grin
Re: UAE Court Rules Men Can Beat Wives by manmustwac(m): 7:02am On Oct 22, 2010
And so what? Don't christian men rapê thier daughters talkless of beating thier own wives without even getting permission from thier pastor.
Re: UAE Court Rules Men Can Beat Wives by ElRazur: 8:36am On Oct 22, 2010
manmustwac:

And so what? Don't christian men rapê thier daughters talkless of beating thier own wives without even getting permission from thier pastor.

You are a freaking dicccck head. I guess your mama got whacked by your papa? This is not a matter of "so what" and this aint about another religion. Deal with the issue at hand at stop passing the blame. This is nothing but domestic violence and it is depressing it to see it supported by religion.

If you wanna talk about other religion doing something similar, make another thread and I will gladly join you. In the mean time, efffing focus on the matter at hand. Ode oshi. undecided
Re: UAE Court Rules Men Can Beat Wives by vedaxcool(m): 10:47am On Nov 01, 2010
Yes, it is allowed but note that the court did warn about excessive beating, Like I have read, the husband is suppose to use a brush to beat his wive lightly, and there is a gradual process for before
beating the first is to warn your wife, the next is to banish her from your bed and the third is to beat her lightly, I know a lot of those who responded to this thread imagine scenes from nolly wood and
think that is the kind of scenes the Law appeals to, but I beg to differ, I think the court must be able to set a punishment for wife battering.
Re: UAE Court Rules Men Can Beat Wives by Blazay(m): 7:48am On Nov 08, 2010
It is up to the women in the UAE to fight for themselves.
If they decide to keep marrying men who have the right to beat them and their daughters as this implies,
they should not expect the world to come to their rescues.

I think it is time for the women in the UAE and other parts of the world fight for their rights.

(1) (Reply)

West Undermining African Self-determination – Mbeki / Trump Caught Selling Pardons / Joe Biden:u.s May Declare War Against Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.