Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,902 members, 7,817,674 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

A Geographer's Diary - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Geographer's Diary (1166 Views)

Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts / NECO Geography Questions And Answers 2018 / Forget Everything That Geography Taught You About The Solar System Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 3:25pm On Aug 10, 2019
Hi there,

Welcome to GeoAfrikana Spatial Solutions thread. Here we'll be sharing with you geography tips and facts. These could be anything from maps, to diagrams and infographics other times it could be just plain text.

Kindly follow this thread as it promises to be enlightening and entertaining.

So you might be wondering what GeoAfrikana Spatial Solutions is. At GeoAfrikana Spatial Solutions we make maps, do GIS and remote sensing Analysis, we also create web maps. In summary, we do anything GEO.

You can checkout the signature for a link to our website.

That said, we plead with trolls and spammers to please avoid this thread. The aim of this thread is to share educative geography information.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 3:27pm On Aug 10, 2019
The first thing we'll be sharing is this map of Lagos State that shows all her local governments.

1 Like

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 3:30pm On Aug 10, 2019
You'll be surprised that even some university graduates don't know the cardinal points.

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 3:33pm On Aug 10, 2019
Map of Ilesha, Osun state. The purple ring is 1km radius around the Palace of Adimula of Ilesha.

I prepared this map for a field trip. We were to collect data of households within 1km of the King's palace.

1 Like

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 8:02am On Aug 13, 2019
How Latitude Affects Temperature

Our planet Earth is enveloped in a cloud of gases called the atmosphere.

Sun rays must pass through the atmosphere before reaching the earth surface.

The atmosphere, reflects some of the sun rays back to space. It absorbs some of the rays and even reflects some of the waves. So, only a fraction of the total solar energy actually makes it through the atmosphere. It is this small fraction that we feel as heat from the sun.

The areas close to the centre of the earth receive more heat while the areas close to the poles receive less heat. This is because the rays travel a longer distance in the atmosphere before reaching the poles unlike the equator where it travels only a short distance.

This explains why Africa is generally hotter than Europe and North America. It also explains why Russia is colder than Europe. The more you move away from the equator the colder it gets.

Perhaps this also explains why Kenyans are darker than their Nigerian counterparts. Kenya is on the equator while Nigeria is between 4° and 14° from the equator. So Kenya receives more solar heat than Nigeria.

Thanks for reading.

Re: A Geographer's Diary by christejames(m): 12:52pm On Aug 13, 2019
Nice one Spatio

2 Likes

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 6:53pm On Aug 15, 2019
GeoAfrikana:
How Latitude Affects Temperature

Our planet Earth is enveloped in a cloud of gases called the atmosphere.

Sun rays must pass through the atmosphere before reaching the earth surface.

The atmosphere, reflects some of the sun rays back to space. It absorbs some of the rays and even reflects some of the waves. So, only a fraction of the total solar energy actually makes it through the atmosphere. It is this small fraction that we feel as heat from the sun.

The areas close to the centre of the earth receive more heat while the areas close to the poles receive less heat. This is because the rays travel a longer distance in the atmosphere before reaching the poles unlike the equator where it travels only a short distance.

This explains why Africa is generally hotter than Europe and North America. It also explains why Russia is colder than Europe. The more you move away from the equator the colder it gets.

Perhaps this also explains why Kenyans are darker than their Nigerian counterparts. Kenya is on the equator while Nigeria is between 4° and 14° from the equator. So Kenya receives more solar heat than Nigeria.

Thanks for reading.

One of our Facebook followers asked a good question. About this post. See our answer in the screenshot below.

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 1:48pm On Aug 16, 2019
Today we're sharing a map of Abuja showing its political divisions.

You can contact us on Whatsapp for your maps, geospatial analysis, remote sensing, satellite image processing and tutorials.

09037*8*6*2

Replace the asterisks with eight.

Thank you.

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 5:28pm On Aug 24, 2019
Our map today is related to hydrology.

This is a map of Nigeria showing the FADAMA plains of Sokoto and The Cross River plains.

FADAMA is a Hausa word. It means fertile agricultural land.

Re: A Geographer's Diary by Gbenga238(m): 5:55pm On Aug 24, 2019

1 Like

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 6:18pm On Aug 24, 2019
Gbenga238:
This is great smiley

Thanks so much sir. I'm glad you like it.

Watch out for more.
Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 7:35pm On Sep 19, 2019
Once upon a time, I used to export my maps to Inkscape for advanced design and finishing touches.

But now, I've unlocked advanced styling tricks in QGIS.

Ladies and Gentlemen I present my hurried map of West Africa

Mind the white outline and black shadow

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 10:53pm On Sep 19, 2019
Kindly disregard the previous map of West Africa.

The map isn't accurate. The data I relied on is incorrect. Cape Verse wasn't included in the previous map.

As I shared it on Facebook, the first comment I got is "where is Cape Verde?". The questioner was from Cape Verde so I had to apologize to him and remake the map.

I've created an accurate one based on data from the official Ecowas website.

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 10:06am On Sep 21, 2019
Map of Nigeria Showing her political Divisions.

States and their Capital, and some important cities in each state.

Note that the symbol of state capitals is a white circle with a black dot inside.

While important cities are denoted by a black dot only (without a white circle).

Thanks for viewing.

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 10:10am On Sep 21, 2019
Map of Nigeria showing the 1967 - 1976 political Divisions.

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 12:27pm On Sep 23, 2019
Bar Chart showing West African Countries and their populations.

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 5:39pm On Sep 28, 2019
Map of Africa showing areas of laterite soil.

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 9:52am On Dec 18, 2019
Multivariate map showing two sets of nominal data.

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 9:53am On Dec 18, 2019
A cool top for GIS Analysts

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 10:01am On Dec 18, 2019
QGIS, my most preferred GIS software, uses the letters X and Y to represent coordinates.

Many beginners find it hard to remember that X is for longitude and Y is for latitude.

One of my students was surprised, "how can X be for longitude and Y be for latitude? X is the horizontal axis while Y is the vertical axis. Isn't longitude vertical and latitude horizontal?" She asked.

Her question is brilliant and I believe many of you will have same question.

You see, in geometry and mathematics, you plot horizontal lines on the X axis and you plot vertical lines on the Y axis.

Ask your mathematics teacher or colleague for more info.

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 1:19pm On May 25, 2020
Sometime ago I mentioned in a post https://www.nairaland.com/5863312/how-drones-farmers#89638939 that we can train a computer to identify pixels in an image.

Well, I just created a sample.

This GIF shows a lake that I extracted from a satellite image using a machine learning technique called unsupervised classification.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-4sZLtW2XNYM/Xsu4UMioIXI/AAAAAAAAAfk/OMX_hDvhcpIHb6jj-MiHjhixOno2UzQKACK4BGAsYHg/s320/01.gif[/img]
Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 8:08am On Oct 07, 2020
Wow, I almost forgot that this thread ever existed.

Let's see some of my latest map works.

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 8:13am On Oct 07, 2020
Many people say the capital of Nigeria was moved from Lagos to Abuja for security reasons. According to them, Lagos is a coastal city and it's risky for any country to choose a coastal city as it's capital.

I did a research into this to see how many countries have coastal capitals in the world and how many have hinterland capitals.

I excluded landlocked countries from this comparison.

Here's the output as a map.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 1:46pm On Dec 06, 2020
Road Network map of Apapa, Lagos.

Based on data from OpenStreetMap (OSM).

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 9:13pm On Feb 07, 2021
Topographic map of Igbeti, Oyo State.

Re: A Geographer's Diary by GeoAfrikana(m): 9:08am On Jun 02, 2021
Nigeria Advisory travel. Map of Nigeria showing security level across the 36 states.

(1) (Reply)

UNN Witchcraft Conference: A Catholic Priest Says Opening Prayer / How To Make Slippers At Home Using Birkenstock Footbed / Do You Need Help Writing Your Sop Or Letter Of Recommendation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.