Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? (7894 Views)

Sms Portal Creator Taking 5,000 To Update From Joomla 1.5 / Calling For Technical Assistance From Joomla Design Professionals In The House / How To Upgrade From Joomla 1.5 To Joomla 2.5.4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by basking4me: 4:50am On Oct 20, 2010
I am a Developer at King of CMS Consulting, an IT Development & Consulting company in Lagos.

I would like to know other webmasters using CMSs outside of Joomla, reason is that I have come to observe that a lot of webmasters here work with the Joomla CMS than any other type and sincerely hope I am not the only one working with these other CMS.

Take for example, the other day I was chatting on the Plone forum chat and the guys there wouldn't believe I was from Nigeria until they checked out my IP address.

The closest physical support I could get was in South Africa fro my deployments (hardware).

I use different CMSs to develop applications and websites. Some of the CMSs I use include:

E107, WEBSITE-BAKER, JOOMLA, DRUPAL, Textpattern, Plone, Wordpress and Media-Wiki.

So lets know what CMs you are conversant with
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by hostmot(f): 11:04am On Oct 20, 2010
Why learn all CMSes on the market when one or two can suit most of your needs.

An in-house developer we have can build his own custom cms. At our end, we love Wordpress though, and I believe most Nigerians don't look outside of Wordpress and Joomla.

Lanre,
HostMot COO
www.hostmot.com
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by quadrillio(m): 12:13pm On Oct 20, 2010
@walex(basking4me)

I use WORDPRESS, JOOMLA, DRUPAL, and very recently I tried CMS MADE SIMPLE.

plus I've done one myself, which 4 of my sites are running on.

- SAFE.
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by basking4me: 2:36pm On Oct 20, 2010
Nice one Sake (quadrillio),

I want you to have a view of a website-baker CMS website that I did. It will be open for another five hours after which I will change the template. The beautiful thing is that it is very easy to tweak. check it here; www.raptbusinesssolutions.com

you can also view this one, www.ariscomltd.com
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 20, 2010
@Basking, i am rolling on the floor laughing at a marketing strategy you implored in your footer.

Here is the word "The Ogbonge People wey design dis one na we for King of CMS Consulting"

Keep it up dude!
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by yawatide(f): 2:59pm On Oct 20, 2010
Here is the word "The Ogbonge People wey design dis one na we for King of CMS Consulting"

Regardless of whether this was an implicit attempt at being funny or if the client approved, I find this rather unprofessional. If this is some in-house experimental site or the site is legit but hasn't officially launched then I am willing to cut some slack though.
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by DualCore1: 3:14pm On Oct 20, 2010
I was about to say CMS sucks donkey balls. Then I shrugged at the thought of broken bottles on my head so I decided I wasn't going to make any post on this thread. So help me lord. But CMS suc. . . lipsrsealed. No! I'm not saying it! I am bored today. October is turning out to be the month with the highest number clients from hell for me. What's these people's brain juice? Condemned oil?

Ok that footer was way off the line. Depending on how long its been online, Ariscom Construction Limited may have lost some good jobs.

Conference at the Brick House.

Governor: Yea, so who's on for the dualisation of the otokoto road?
Minister of Works: Sir we are considering Ariscom Limited.
Governor: O'really?
Minister of Works: O'brian! Err. . . yes sir I havnt been to their contruction site personally but I think we should just look them up on the net.
***Powers On Projector***
**Goes to ariscoms URL**
**Governor begins to read and gets to that footer**
**Governor looks at Minister, Minister looks at footer then at Governor then at projector then at the footer again then at his phone then at Governor (who at this point has that look on)**

Minister of Works: I'll let Julius Berger know they can get on the Job right away sir.
**motions to the door**

Back to work good peoples, there's no place like localhost  tongue
Meanwhile, I think someone pressed NL's 'reset' button. Err'thing's showing up as New  angry

P.S: I'm not quite sure. What Minister handles road construction? Is there a Minister of Road? Ughrr
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 20, 2010
@Yawatide.

True. Far from that, sites are Global things. A German, who sees that my not understand what the slang "Ogbonge" or all the other words.

Just 1 weeks after i launched my site and started my business as a developer, i got a contact from a French Company to develop their site. Till today i don't know where they got to know me from. Guess it's from Nairaland or Naijavoice. Cause i have never promoted or made adverts.

Bottomline is: Be conscious of whatever you develop and reserve plays for Local Host. The book 97 Things every programmer should know has that among the laws.

Meanwhile, Mrs Yawatide, have you read that book. Please do if you haven't its Great!
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by DualCore1: 3:35pm On Oct 20, 2010
Why 97 things? Why do programmers always get reserved for incomplete rations? Why wasnt it made 100?

98: Never accept incomplete rations
99: Do you know that. . . umm nevermind, go to the last rule, silly.
100: Never mix coding with babes if you are not certified to do that. (Donpuzo take note, gimme that babes number).

Ok there's a book like that? Never read it. I'll look for it
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by DualCore1: 3:39pm On Oct 20, 2010
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 20, 2010
I have use e107 but i use wordpress often
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 20, 2010
@Dual. You are not serious. So na me you come use do the 100 abi.

Guess you have read the book. I bet you loved it??

Every developer and programmer should read it! Honestly
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by yawatide(f): 4:10pm On Oct 20, 2010
Meanwhile, Mrs Yawatide, have you read that book. Please do if you haven't its Great!

Nope and I don't have to read a book to tell me what is common sense, granted to some people, not all sense is common.
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 20, 2010
yawa-ti-de:

Nope and I don't have to read a book to tell me what is common sense, granted to some people, not all sense is common.

Never implied that you have to read a book to tell you what common sense is undecided undecided

Most times it's not bad adding to once knowledge base that's why i recommended the book.

Though that's basically your choice!
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by basking4me: 4:38pm On Oct 20, 2010
Gentlemen and woman of the webmaster section, Pl dont let us digress from the main issue which is to discuss other CMS outside of Joomla that we have used for development works.

When you see bi-lingual websites, do you actually know what the developers have written as the footers. For Ariscom, I will like you to see it as a biligunal website with English and Pidgin languages used.

I am currently working on a dual language website using English and Yoruba and I am using the E107 CMS, and at the footer, we'll have ''Awon ton gbeseyi kale ni ilese oba-CMS''
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by yawatide(f): 4:49pm On Oct 20, 2010
@Donpuzo no vex o!  I wasn't ranting and raving at you.  I guess I should have used some kind of emoticon to show that I was just kidding cheesy

@basking:  If it is indeed bi-lingual, why not do what I would say is standard by offering the choice via buttons or links? Why mix the 2 up?  Can you imagine visiting say, uefa.com and seeing over 10 languages on the home page, in the name of being "multi-lingual"?  Be consistent and offer the users an option to switch.  Don't force it on them.  That's all I am saying wink

Sorry for digressing by the way. I just couldn't help but notice the flaw.
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 20, 2010
Before Yawa talks, she has thought ahead. So Basking, i advice you give up. grin grin grin

As for the thread. I hardly implore Already Built CMS, what i do is play with codes in my library of codes, and google codes and ideas, when i am stuck.

@Yawa. That kind method of kidding threw and exception which should have been handled with try and catch of emoticons!

Anyway, no wahala, i no vex. You na my Oga in this business and i remain Loyal to a fault!
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 20, 2010
this is the best marketing strategy on nairaland web marketing in a looooong time
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 20, 2010
I think most open source CMS are are heavy especially for Nigerian kind of internet speed. I chose to create my own eg. www.agrosciencejournal.com has ,probably, the most simple cms ever.
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by yawatide(f): 8:06pm On Oct 20, 2010
Eh heh, I just remembered that a buddy of mine also created his own version, Kolejo:
http://www.webjadesolutions.com/kolejo.php
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by mosesonuh: 8:57pm On Oct 20, 2010
i need mine oh
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by basking4me: 10:49pm On Oct 20, 2010
1st time to use my phone on NL. i think 9ja webmasters should begin to think in the line of local content. This way, even abokis and okirika sellers can have online presence websites in pidgin our 2nd lingua franca. Has anyone here used plone cms ?
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by Nobody: 6:34am On Oct 21, 2010
Ahem. . .
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by DualCore1: 7:34am On Oct 21, 2010
No offense but all the sites I have seen here created by personal CMSes all look like . . . i dunno the word. They all look straight. They all have this header>navs>sidebar(s)>content area>footer straight and rigid look. I don't use "CMS" but I know it kills dev time (which is good) but does it also kill creativity?

My idea of a personal CMS: Build a good site, spend the time doing it well (you are getting paid to spend time not to be lazy). Feed all text from the database. Create an admin panel and give the admin the ability to change things.

P.S: this is IMHO so no hating. cool
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by basking4me: 9:14am On Oct 21, 2010
I have read severally in threads in the web section that coding from scratch is like reinventing the wheel. Afterall, someone has done us the favour of ,open source apps, why not use them.

Trying to be original and coding from scratch is like saying you want to have your own programming language or else why would you want to use an existing language to write a new code when you can as well use your newly created programming language to develop your new website.

Abi you still dey code with NOTEPAD, ?, grin the world is revolving and so is web technology and the way we do things generally!

Don't forget that these open source CMS are readily more acceptable and available and will beat any personal CMS given the fact that they are created with group efforts (loads of developers) and support on them is continuous.

CMS dont suck, it only gives you a level playing ground to start with. I have used E107 (an open source CMS) to develop a cargo tracking application that works very fine.

That you are using a CMS does not necessarily mean your work is going to be easy because depending on the work you want to do, this is what will determine how easy your work will be.

I repeat my question: Has anyone here used the Plone CMS to develop a website, ?
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by ilosiwaju: 10:17am On Oct 21, 2010
I use ezPublish, you should tour the stuff. Very very cool CMS.
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by Nobody: 11:19am On Oct 21, 2010
Dual Core:

No offense but all the sites I have seen here created by personal CMSes all look like . . . i dunno the word. They all look straight. They all have this header>navs>sidebar(s)>content area>footer straight and rigid look. I don't use "CMS" but I know it kills dev time (which is good) but does it also kill creativity?

My idea of a personal CMS: Build a good site, spend the time doing it well (you are getting paid to spend time not to be lazy). Feed all text from the database. Create an admin panel and give the admin the ability to change things.

P.S: this is IMHO so no hating. cool

Dont forget that my site is done in joomla. Looking at .net and also www.lasuth.org (purely drupal) and a few more
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by basking4me: 12:16pm On Oct 21, 2010
it is better to be a part of d os cms community. There is nothing in dev you want to start that has not already been done or contemplated. It is better to join the community to provide support, create ur own themes, snippets and modules to work with the existing cms like drupal and wordpress. Better b a big fish in big pond than be a big fish in a small pond. Ezpublish is another good cms. Has anyone tried XOOPS.
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 22, 2010
I tried alot of CMSes, but i discovered that joomla and drupal usually solve the problem easily, and i find it easy to develop their extensions: themes, modules, components etc
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by adeboyemos(m): 6:10pm On Oct 22, 2010
@basking, just a question here:

Is it advisable for one to work with multiple cms? , because i believe sticking with one CMS does better job than you try know everything and you find yourself not good at one,

well i use Joomla proficiently, which i believe is the Mother of all CMS, even GT bank run on Joomla
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by yawatide(f): 7:09pm On Oct 22, 2010
When all you have is a hammer, you tend to think that everything you see is a nail. Yes, it is good to master 1 or 2 CMS tools but it is good to at least know the essentials of others, just in case.

GTBank uses joomla? If true, I think that is a serious mistake on their part. Mission critical apps should always be built from the ground up, IMHO
Re: Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? by WebMonk(m): 9:24pm On Oct 22, 2010
Back in the day, I used exponent-cms, particularly because its templating structure gave me freedom to express myself (CSS styling). However, security was a concern at the time, as a vulnerability that took too long to patch forced me to look elsewhere. In the end, I chose WordPress (flexible structure and small file size). More importantly, the reasons why we choose any of these is what I want to address.

As per Open Source and Personal CMS

Open Source CMS is good, and getting increasingly better. However, in response to their popularity, they grow into a[b] bigger, broader, more complex platform[/b]. Wordpress, Joomla and the rest now have extensions ranging from eCommerce to forums to event planners and so on. As with anything increasingly more complex, there's an associated level of overhead that goes along with managing it. Whether the project's requirements warrant such is another discussion altogether. While this "One size fits all" type of CMS is targeted at the kind of people (front end users) who aren't concerned with a technical know how, there will always be projects that need something 'tailored' to spec. This is where personal CMS (and, of course, their developers/designers) come in.

Sometimes having your own CMS can lead to a solution that is[b] better suited to your needs, is faster, much more lightweight (specific), easily extensible, and much faster to deploy[/b]. Of course, I say this in line with the specifications for the project. You'll know something is amiss if you find a site has joomla installed ONLY to power a contact form.

And lastly, there are still a lot of people who want a site they can simply manage on their own effectively, in the light of the fact that a certain level of tech savvy is required to navigate certain Open Source CMS. Having something really simple and flexible beyond just 'skinning' could go the extra mile in showing you understand their needs as a professional. That's what inspired me to create kolejo, because a website isn't should be easy to use

PS: my opinion on the matter. no hating

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 5 Websites That Pay You To Answer Questions Online / How Do You Verify Your Account On Fiverr? / Anyone Using Alat Dollar Card Without Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.