Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Monthly Payment Of Rent - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Monthly Payment Of Rent (10415 Views)

Latest For All Kinds Of Apartment Available & All Rent Rate Of Rent In Ikorodu / Rate Of Rent In Ikorodu For All Kinds Of Apartment Available & All A Year Rent / Cost Of Rent In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Monthly Payment Of Rent by AVISENNA: 2:00pm On Oct 20, 2010
This might sound funny but is there anywhere you could actually pay rent monthly in Lagos
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by liftedone(f): 2:25pm On Oct 20, 2010
Yes, sadly only in the really expensive short let apartments and the really poor slummy areas and temporary shacks. This is the reality.

What you need to understand is that many landlords struggle to raise money to build their houses, there's no assistance from banks or government or cooperative societies except in very few organisations. The average landlord after building his house wants to try and recoup some of his investments, hence the demand mostly for two years rent and more recently some are lenient enough to collect one year's rent. I don't see this changing any time soon. The Lagos state government tried enacting a law with regards to this and it did go very far with a lot of noise made about it and expectations from the hapless Lagos tenant. But I've not heard anything for sometime.
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by Ranoscky(m): 6:28pm On Oct 21, 2010
In Lagos ?.?.? undecided

Anh anh ? Wella nau !!!

So many 'face me i face u' landlord do collect monthly, while some collect six to one year rent !!!
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by xammy(m): 6:31pm On Oct 21, 2010
it's possible but only in home video grin
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by RICHIEBOI1(m): 6:53pm On Oct 21, 2010
its quite common in those densely populated suburbs.
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by aieromon(m): 7:26pm On Oct 21, 2010
Which way mortgage system?My dad came to Lagos and became a landlord by winning one of the flats in Festac.Paid off the shyt in 30years.Here I am begging a landlord for a year and a half rent.Bring back the mortgage system,build low cost houses and people will be forced to collect monthly rents.

1 Like

Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by Fhemmmy: 7:36pm On Oct 21, 2010
I think we need to blame the renters as well for this problem.

Give an apartment to someone and allow a monthly rent, then, you would have to take them to court to collect you rent, and i think that is why the landlords collects 2 years in advance, at least they wont have to worry about rents for another 2 years, and i have heard of too many stories of where people wont wanna pay rent after the 2 years.

However, i think the govt could do something about the rate at which the rents are always going so much up.
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by Fhemmmy: 7:42pm On Oct 21, 2010
aieromon:

Which way mortgage system?My dad came to Lagos and became a landlord by winning one of the flats in Festac.Paid off the shyt in 30years.Here I am begging a landlord for a year and a half rent.Bring back the mortgage system,build low cost houses and people will be forced to collect monthly rents.

No matter how many low cost housing is built that will not stop the landlords from asking for yearly rents and that is for the fact that we have no reliable govt and the areas where they can afford to build those kinda homes will be so far from where businesses are, that the effect will NOT BE FELT.
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by lomolink(m): 8:00pm On Oct 21, 2010
As Fhemmy said, the renting system will only work when there is trust. Even in the UK and USA, the Law still favours the tenant and we can only imagine how many smart Nigerian tenants will not want to pay  cry
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by Piro4rl(m): 8:11pm On Oct 21, 2010
The government should intervene!!
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by Fhemmmy: 8:19pm On Oct 21, 2010
lomolink:

As Fhemmy said, the renting system will only work when there is trust. Even in the UK and USA, the Law still favours the tenant and we can only imagine how many smart Nigerian tenants will not want to pay  cry

Chief, in Nigeria people think they are only smart when they are doing something that is against the norm or the law.
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 21, 2010
Why would anyone want to pay 1 month rent. Except the apartment is a guest apartment ?

Heard its possible on the other side of the atlantic, but I dont fancy it. Some motherf()ucker will be knocking on your door every 30 days.

1 Like

Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by jidemac4: 8:30pm On Oct 21, 2010
i pay my rent monthy wie i live (in bauchi), grin
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by apoti(m): 8:45pm On Oct 21, 2010
xammy:

it's possible but only in home video grin

lol grin grin
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by buzugee(m): 9:18pm On Oct 21, 2010
paying 2 years rent is very risky. if i pay someone 2 years rent i will have to own a few guns. why ? whats to stop the person from killing you 2 months into the 2 year term so he can quickly put another person in and collect another 2 year rent ? then he will kill that person too in a month and then collect another 2 years rent , in a years time he will have like 12 years rent in his pocket. whats to stop someone from doing this ? not like they do forensic investigations in naija. one day when you are out he can sneak in your apt and drop poison in your soup of efo riro
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by Pilotman(m): 9:31pm On Oct 21, 2010
@ buzugee: pls u need deliverance. How can u think of such a thing, let alone posting it.
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by buzugee(m): 10:36pm On Oct 21, 2010
Pilotman:

@ buzugee: pls u need deliverance. How can u think of such a thing, let alone posting it.
i am paranoid grin
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by kabukabu50(m): 11:56pm On Oct 21, 2010
buzugee:

paying 2 years rent is very risky. if i pay someone 2 years rent i will have to own a few guns. why ? whats to stop the person from killing you 2 months into the 2 year term so he can quickly put another person in and collect another 2 year rent ? then he will kill that person too in a month and then collect another 2 years rent , in a years time he will have like 12 years rent in his pocket. whats to stop someone from doing this ? not like they do forensic investigations in naija. one day when you are out he can sneak in your apt and drop poison in your soup of efo riro

That was funny. cool cool cool cool coolbut true

Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by Nobody: 1:01am On Oct 22, 2010
Don't really know how the housing situation is in Lagos

but I do know some people (like my dad's tenants) who collect monthly rent albeit by connections or trust

it all stems from defaulting tenants hence landlords charge tenancy for up to 2 years while some are just plainly selfish
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by buzugee(m): 2:08am On Oct 22, 2010
kabukabu50:

That was funny. cool cool cool cool coolbut true

right right lol grin the picture of that cat is traumatizing me. geezzzz whats with the human teeth ? grin
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by mrofficial(m): 3:50am On Oct 22, 2010
How many years i go pay landlord? "Owo odun marun." shocked shocked shocked lol.
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by Nobody: 5:40am On Oct 22, 2010
---
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by shanda(m): 7:20am On Oct 22, 2010
If landlords can get mortgage facilities to build houses, the government can enact law forcing them to collect monthly rent. My dad has a house where the tenants pay monthly, there are people living there that have not paid the old man for almost eight months now. If he takes them to court, they will only tell him to give them three months, and if they fail to pay within that period, they should pack out. At the end of the day, he ends up making a loss. How will you now convince such a man not to collect yearly rent. The least he collects now is six months and he doesn't go beyond one year.
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by gamesb: 9:45am On Oct 22, 2010
monthly rent is not a good idea to me because u will be under pressure every month on how to pay ur rent.
also it no every month that u have or make alot of money . the best is to pay 2years in advance or if u somuchly like the house , environment , prize & ur co-tenents u just pay like 3 years & have rest of mind for a while.
as for the monthly rent pay what of u don't have money @ the end of the & the landlord comes which story u going to tell him? its there u have problems with him.
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by mrofficial(m): 9:59am On Oct 22, 2010
gamesb:

monthly rent is not a good idea to me because u will be under pressure every month on how to pay your rent.
also it no every month that u have or make alot of money . the best is to pay 2years in advance or if u somuchly like the house , environment , prize & your co-tenents u just pay like 3 years & have rest of mind for a while.
as for the monthly rent pay what of u don't have money @ the end of the & the landlord comes which story u going to tell him? its there u have problems with him.

Ok, we don hear. Which one come be agent and agreement fee? The agreement fee annoys me so much angry

1 Like

Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by Goddex: 10:05am On Oct 22, 2010
@Poster
Yes, in brothels . . . even, you pay daily.
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by RICHIEBOI1(m): 11:24am On Oct 22, 2010
Goddex:

@Poster

thats a good one. hahahah! grin
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by estatemark(m): 11:49am On Oct 22, 2010
monthly rent is not impossible but the govrt of the day should be very honest with project of this nature. it not just saying it that matters. let the gov. provide a condusive environ. and the market forces will take care of the rest.
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by snthesis(m): 11:49am On Oct 22, 2010
Goddex:

@Poster
hw u take knw? shocked tongue
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 22, 2010
Why will it not be, when our government officials are now into real estate.They believe it is the best way of syphoning money. Check out most of the malls in the country today, its their works!.

What about our hungry landlords, who relies heavily on rent to survive; drink beer and peppersoup, carry their tenant wives and smoke weeds embarassed

Worst case is the face-me-i-face habitat. You see them collect rent for two years, agency & legal fee at 5% or 10% (even those tools are not even used in the deal), security deposit,electricity outstanding even when you are not in yet among other anomalies.

Especially in the Lagos,they feed fat for one month, smoke garri thereafter and begin to set new rules for tenants such as no loud music, no christain or moslem choruses, no cooking after seven o'clock, no parking on the dance floor, couples should not have quarrels and no coming in after ten o'clock. All in a bid to sack erring members and sign on new players. I am really disappointed that no government can solve this social welfarism cry
Re: Monthly Payment Of Rent by motunrayo2: 3:22pm On Oct 22, 2010
I want you to believe me that my landlord collect her rent monthly (3 bedroom flat) and very good and conducive environment with water though the road is bad

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Built 43,125 Houses In Four Years – Minister / Types Of Gutter And Cost / Hotel On A Full Plot Of Land For Sales.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.