Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,926 members, 7,821,245 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General (9430 Views)

Police VGS QERRS To Tackle Crimes In Nigeria / Newly Inaugurated Benue Security Corps Show How They Would Tackle Crime(pic/vid) / Combat Crime With CCTV Cameras (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by jaxxy(m): 1:12pm On Aug 18, 2019
Great if the federal can’t start in Lagos and other states can take the initiative. Yes a very secure citizens or residents database will be needed.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Judybash93(m): 1:15pm On Aug 18, 2019
Officialgarri:
Lagos is always developing, what happened to the country's capital?

A good development, but I'd rather do a DNA test (if they also carry out child DNA activities, I mean) in a country where I'm sure the doctors cannot accept bribe.

Especially after I squeezed some Naira notes into an health technician's hand to help change my blood group from AA to SS so that Nkechi can let me go... undecided

You mean blood genotype right?
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by larryking540: 1:16pm On Aug 18, 2019
dominique:
And how do they intend to get a database?
it will actually b easy starting from primary school down to d secondary school, at least we have secured d country or state from criminal activity for certain years to come, becus those kids will definitely become adult, while for d present adult u can use their driving license ,there are so many methods
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by TriggahMan(m): 1:20pm On Aug 18, 2019
Okay na

Una do well

Well done

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Jaqenhghar: 1:25pm On Aug 18, 2019
dominique:
Excellent question
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by SilasNwude: 1:26pm On Aug 18, 2019
[s]
Hotfreezers:
My Ipob brothers won't like this. They would be looking for the SG to beat.
[/s]
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Mcreloaded(m): 1:26pm On Aug 18, 2019
The day i hear that Nigerian police can lift finger print off a crime scene and use it to persecute a criminal in court.

That day i will start to believe in Nigerian. Police force.
No need to dream sha
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Blue3k(m): 1:30pm On Aug 18, 2019
dominique:

You arrest the suspect then collect samples. Why would the government have your DNA samples on hand if you didnt give it to them or get arrested?
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Originalsly: 1:34pm On Aug 18, 2019
Jayslicky:
It's a very good development that will uncover many hidden truths about mysterious deaths and suicides that were really homicides, it will also help in finding out of serial killers.

Lagos State should be the capital of Nigeria they are always miles ahead of other states.

How is that possible without a data base? And how would that be used to check drug use and the use of poisonous substances? .... and Police doing paternity tests?..really?
I always wonder how these guys get the balls to publicly make such declarations.... but then I see how people generally swallow without chewing whatever someone in high position says. A d we wonder why we can't move forward.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by WriterX(m): 1:37pm On Aug 18, 2019
Authority1o1:
Did I hear someone say forensics and toxicology?=-O
You think this would tackle the upsurging insecurity in the country?

I'm not being pessimistic but for that to deliver a topnotch success in fighting crime,a state must have a database of all its citizen's biometrics.

The one they have now would just be useful when you have the criminals in your custody.

But I trust my nigerian police.when one ahmed wey no finish grade six handle am,e go turn from forensics institute to RUGAsic institute.

not necessarily all in abroad, you don't need to have all, small time offenders who don't have permanent charges to their names, institutions and companies may require giving their DNA sample by which over the time, a database can be amassed across various states
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by WriterX(m): 1:39pm On Aug 18, 2019
Blue3k:

You arrest the suspect then collect samples. Why would the government have your DNA samples on hand if you didnt give it to them or get arrested?

by law U.S have the right to also collect DNA samples from stuff you have thrown away or plates you ordered food with in an eatery that could work too

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 18, 2019
Forensic DNA Analysis in Lagos?, grin grin grin grin That means they would have to fingerprint the whole country. This is never ever gonna happen!!

There is nothing wrong with dreams and hopes though.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 18, 2019
Blue3k:

So they would have to Arrest the entire country to get their DNA?
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Blue3k(m): 1:46pm On Aug 18, 2019
Originalsly:

How is that possible without a data base? And how would that be used to check drug use and the use of poisonous substances? .... and Police doing paternity tests?..really?
I always wonder how these guys get the balls to publicly make such declarations.... but then I see how people generally swallow without chewing whatever someone in high position says. A d we wonder why we can't move forward.

You have to make the database. Forensics isn't magic and doesn't mean you skip other aspects of investigations. You still need to find suspects then cross reference then in evidence yiu gathered on scene if crime wheather it be blood, semen, finger prints etc. They can easily start by accessing prisoners at booking and it will help exonerate some inmates.

You find out if drugs and poison were used during autopsy. You can also test for drugs the scene, hospital, or police station assuming you have equipment. The paternity test probably just a way to make extra cash.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by joe4christ(m): 1:46pm On Aug 18, 2019
realstars:
The truth is that, one day all man will be given secret micro numbers to monitor all mans activities

The end time is here, soon the world will be free from all this rubbish we are seeing today.

Its really funny how someone could still hold dare such a primitive belief. It really blows my fvckin mind mehn!
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by busayochic: 1:46pm On Aug 18, 2019
Abeg make una repair roads ooo.... Please leave these white elephant projects and face the ones before u
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Blue3k(m): 1:47pm On Aug 18, 2019
gypsey:
So they would have to Arrest the entire country to get their DNA?

That's a ridiculous question to ask. You arrest the suspects of said crime and test them.

WriterX:

by law U.S have the right to also collect DNA samples from stuff you have thrown away or plates you ordered food with in an eatery that could work too

Cite the law please.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Nobody: 1:48pm On Aug 18, 2019
Another nonsense looting agenda, you have no database with DNA samples, how to u detect criminals via dna?
do u get dna on crime scene and start scanning detained criminals for dna match?

I live in a working society and work as part of such a team. Without a working database this is a joke.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by XYZADIGOR7: 1:49pm On Aug 18, 2019
Onyekachi419:
Tackle crime in Nigeria grin
I hear you

smiles..
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by AmazingELixir: 1:52pm On Aug 18, 2019
cool cool cool
Forensic investigation and detection goes with an authentic and verifiable national bio database.

And as currently constituted all facets of the country's security apparata is under the purview of exclusive list.

For the Lagos state initiative to work the old long state police clamour needs to come on stream else there will constitutional breach since states are not permitted by law to access the sensitive bio data collected by the NIMC , BVN, INEC, GSM Network providers etc.

Even medical records of citizens cannot be accessed by state without a a breach of doctor-patient privacy privileges and its attendant legal implications.

Bottom line our laws need to be tweaked to bring it up to date with current realities not that century old junk the British passed on to Nigeria as constitution
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 18, 2019
Blue3k:

That's a ridiculous question to ask. You arrest the suspects of said crime and test them.
To test them After Arrest, should they not Already has the suspect's DNA? so as to do the testing?

If my DNA is not Already in the system, what would i be tested for?

Na questions i dey ask oo! grin as Ridiculous as they may sound
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 18, 2019
illitrate:
Another nonsense looting agenda, you have no database with DNA samples, how to u detect criminals via dna?
do u get dna on crime scene and start scanning detained criminals for dna match?

I live in a working society and work as part of such a team. Without a working database this is a joke.
I wonder, sad They are just Joking perhaps.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Blue3k(m): 1:55pm On Aug 18, 2019
AmazingELixir:

Forensic investigation and detection goes with an authentic and verifiable national bio database.

And as currently constituted all facets of the country's security apparata is under the purview of exclusive list.

For the Lagos state initiative to work the old long state police clamour needs to come on stream else there will constitutional breach since states are not permitted by law to access the sensitive bio data collected by the NIMC , BVN, INEC, GSM Network providers etc.

Even medical records of citizens cannot be accessed by state without a a breach of doctor-patient privacy privileges and its attendant legal implications. 

No they dont. They just need to arrest suspects and check their DNA. They can also get access with warrant from Nigeria Correctional Service or GSM. Your rights dont need to be violated for them to do their jobs.

If they need access to medical records they can either warrant. They can test you or access it from hospital. There's needs to be centralized data base to host identities in the country though.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by executive12: 1:57pm On Aug 18, 2019
Officialgarri:
Lagos is always developing, what happened to the country's capital?

A good development, but I'd rather do a DNA test (if they also carry out child DNA activities, I mean) in a country where I'm sure the doctors cannot accept bribe.

Especially after I squeezed some Naira notes into an health technician's hand to help change my blood group from AA to SS so that Nkechi can let me go... undecided

Are you serious that you got them to change your test result from AA to SS? I hope you are kidding.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 18, 2019
gypsey:
I wonder, sad They are just Joking perhaps.

In a working society during national id card documentation, You record biometric and things like dna in your database so as to take samples on crime scenes and scan for a match when a crime is committed. In a country of 200m people, no database means a jungle.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Blue3k(m): 2:01pm On Aug 18, 2019
gypsey:
To test them After Arrest, should they not Already has the suspect's DNA? so as to do the testing?

If my DNA is not Already in the system, what would i be tested for?

Na questions i dey ask oo! grin as Ridiculous as they may sound

I say its ridiculous because the whole country wont be a suspect in a crime. DNA test isnt magic you still need to conduct other aspects of police investigations. Its just one of many tools. Lets assume a rape happened do you expect polie to have sample of semen, blood or saliva on hand. No they still have to talk to victim gets suspects and then test.

They dont need to have databases of everyone. They will naturally have database of prisoners in booking with fingerprints. They also collect with need be.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Originalsly: 2:06pm On Aug 18, 2019
Blue3k:

You have to make the database. Forensics isn't magic and doesn't mean you skip other aspects of investigations. You still need to find suspects then cross reference then in evidence yiu gathered on scene if crime wheather it be blood, semen, finger prints etc. They can easily start by accessing prisoners at booking and it will help exonerate some inmates.

You find out if drugs and poison were used during autopsy. You can also test for drugs the scene, hospital, or police station assuming you have equipment. The paternity test probably just a way to make extra cash.

Bro... he is talking as if forensics is magic! Personally..... they need to begin by cleaning up corruption in the PD .... get whatever forensic equipment... it will be misused.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by anonimi: 2:10pm On Aug 18, 2019
dominique:

See correct question that you are asking.
Do you think that our leaders and majority of our fellow citizens bother with such
The whites will sort everything out for us while we continue to be dominated by them.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4916463_img1217_jpegf36bc6f0e3954883e8b3b5a692deed65

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by anonimi: 2:14pm On Aug 18, 2019
Jayslicky:
It's a very good development that will uncover many hidden truths about mysterious deaths and suicides that were really homicides, it will also help in finding out of serial killers.

Lagos State should be the capital of Nigeria they are always miles ahead of other states.

Capital of extreme poverty riddled country?
Impotent men dragging over who get longest preek. Their foolishness no be for here.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Siberry: 2:14pm On Aug 18, 2019
Angelfrost:

Good question... That's supposed to be the first thing... Will they collect the DNA and the machine will magically conjure up the offender?...

Another white elephant project to steal taxpayers' money. tongue

You don't need a database in place before starting forensic analysis.

DNA can be used to confirm a suspect has indeed committed the crime. How? Get samples from the scene ( which is not feasible in Naija now) and then get sample from the suspect, run the DNA analysis of both and compare.

Database is generated gradually....as they collect samples from scene and suspects.

Meanwhile, this is an old post! How did it suddenly turn up on the front page and how far with the facility though?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Blue3k(m): 2:16pm On Aug 18, 2019
Originalsly:

Bro... he is talking as if forensics is magic! Personally..... they need to begin by cleaning up corruption in the PD .... get whatever forensic equipment... it will be misused.

These guys have bad habit of parroting eachother. Im guessing its the crime show dramas that give people warped view of how these processes work. I agree the police always need to be watched.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kano Police Arrest Man Over Colleague’s Death / Stella Oduah, Jonathan New Aviation Minister Is A Fraud / Rev King's Death Sentence Appeal Suffers Setback

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.