Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General (9416 Views)

Police VGS QERRS To Tackle Crimes In Nigeria / Newly Inaugurated Benue Security Corps Show How They Would Tackle Crime(pic/vid) / Combat Crime With CCTV Cameras (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Badilstical(m): 2:16pm On Aug 18, 2019
dominique:
And how do they intend to get a database?
You BVN and international passport and national ids
Can run the DNA match
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by anonimi: 2:18pm On Aug 18, 2019
temmypotter:
Drug dealing is not a real crime?

How insightful!

Maybe he worships at the altar of Jagbajantis leader looter of Lagos/Yoruba politics.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1206437_2e8d204456ddaca651c21c258cad334b_jpg2c86cdb1543edff718fbaebc74f4b873

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3089787_capture_jpeg6d0ce43c2e6495dc5ba7597dd3872afd

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Siberry: 2:25pm On Aug 18, 2019
gypsey:
To test them After Arrest, should they not Already has the suspect's DNA? so as to do the testing?

If my DNA is not Already in the system, what would i be tested for?

Na questions i dey ask oo! grin as Ridiculous as they may sound

If my DNA is not Already in the system, what would i be tested for? Good question. I will help you.

IF they have your prints or blood or semen samples from the scene, it's simple. You are the suspect remember and you claim you were not the culprit, like Shaggy, it wasn't you. No problem.

Mr suspect, you alright mate? we would like to get take your blood, fingerprint or seen samples to cross-check with those we obtained from the scene, in order to completely eliminate you as a suspect, so you can quickly go home and be with your family.

You: no problem detective.

Your samples are taken and analysed and used to cross reference with the results from the crime scene samples.

Viola! 99% march will land you in kirikiri or zero match will take you home to be with your maama.

If you are the first customer...They will use your sample and those from the scene to create the first database data.
Next time, similar crime is committed, they will feed the analysis result of the crime secene sample into the database, you might pop up if you are the culprit and they will corner you at MM2 as you are returning from vacation with bae.

Mr A, welcome back to Nigeria. Could you come with us please? You are under arrest for the murder of madam Beatrice, you have fucking right to remain silent as anything you say will be used against in the court of law.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Larrykaysail(m): 2:30pm On Aug 18, 2019
dominique:
i tire o, without having state residence database
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Siberry: 2:34pm On Aug 18, 2019
WriterX:

not necessarily all in abroad, you don't need to have all, small time offenders who don't have permanent charges to their names, institutions and companies may require giving their DNA sample by which over the time, a database can be amassed across various states

You are right! Same thing I told someone up there.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Siberry: 2:35pm On Aug 18, 2019
illitrate:
Another nonsense looting agenda, you have no database with DNA samples, how to u detect criminals via dna?
do u get dna on crime scene and start scanning detained criminals for dna match?

I live in a working society and work as part of such a team. Without a working database this is a joke.

Wrong!

Read what I told your likely minded friend.

If my DNA is not Already in the system, what would i be tested for? Good question. I will help you.

IF they have your prints or blood or semen samples from the scene, it's simple. You are the suspect remember and you claim you were not the culprit, like Shaggy, it wasn't you. No problem.

Mr suspect, you alright mate? we would like to get take your blood, fingerprint or seen samples to cross-check with those we obtained from the scene, in order to completely eliminate you as a suspect, so you can quickly go home and be with your family.

You: no problem detective.

Your samples are taken and analysed and used to cross reference with the results from the crime scene samples.

Viola! 99% march will land you in kirikiri or zero match will take you home to be with your maama.

If you are the first customer...They will use your sample and those from the scene to create the first database data.
Next time, similar crime is committed, they will feed the analysis result of the crime secene sample into the database, you might pop up if you are the culprit and they will corner you at MM2 as you are returning from vacation with bae.

Mr A, welcome back to Nigeria. Could you come with us please? You are under arrest for the murder of madam Beatrice, you have fucking right to remain silent as anything you say will be used against in the court of law.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by yeyeosoronga: 2:40pm On Aug 18, 2019
Great news...
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Originalsly: 2:41pm On Aug 18, 2019
Blue3k:

Tgese guys have bad habit of parroting eachother. Im guessing its the crime show dramas thst give people warped view of how these processes work. I agree the police always need to be watched.

Lol... while reading that's exactly what came to mind.... these guys watch too much shows like Forensics and get carried away.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by MiddleDimension: 2:47pm On Aug 18, 2019
udomoh:
Lagos set to tackle crime with Forensic DNA Analysis

The Lagos State Government has disclosed that plans are ongoing to equip its Forensic Centre with Chemistry and Toxicology units to strengthen criminal investigations.

The Solicitor-General / Permanent Secretary in the State Ministry of Justice, Mrs. Funlola Odunlami, who made the disclosure at the 4th Lagos Forensic Symposium at Civic Centre, Victoria Island, Lagos, opined that the unit would commence operations by 2020 to help the government uncover illegal use of controlled substances and drugs in the State.

“The inclusion of the forensic chemistry and toxicology checks will enhance criminal investigations in the State and also speed up the identification and conviction of perpetrators of cases related to intake of poisonous and harmful substances in the body”, Odulami said.

She added that the Lagos State DNA and Forensic Centre located at Odunlami area of Lagos Island has played a significant role in investigating over 100 cases of deaths, identification of exhumed human remains, rape and burglary since the commencement of operations in 2017.
The Lagos State Solicitor-General further noted that the forensic centre has also investigated about 300 cases of paternity and other heredity related issues, stressing that Nigeria has finally joined the international community’s efforts in applying scientific methods to prosecution, defence, law enforcement, criminal investigations, national security and disaster management.
Odunlami explained that the symposium was aimed at providing the public with information on the role of forensic science in criminal investigation and its importance to law enforcement agencies and the judiciary on mass fatalities, sexual assault, and other issues.

Also speaking at the event, Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Zubairu Muazu said the introduction of forensic science has helped in utilising Criminal Speciality Law in investigating criminal identities and exonerate the innocent persons.

Muazu, represented by the Deputy Commissioner of Police Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, CIID, Mrs. Yetunde Alonge, said investment in forensic investigation shows the visionary leadership of the Lagos State Government and urged the participants to tap into the wealth of knowledge of the professionals at the symposium.
In his remarks, the Director, Lagos State DNA & Forensic Centre, Dr. Richard Somiari, disclosed that Lagos State DNA and Forensic Laboratory is the only one accredited for Forensic DNA analysis in

Nigeria, adding that the database accelerates the process of identifying victims of crimes, linking crimes to one another and also identifying serial offenders.

While commending the Lagos Police Command for its collaborative efforts with the State Forensic Centre, Somiari said forensic services are also available to NGOs, law enforcement agencies, prosecutors and other members of the public.

Participants at the 4th Forensic Symposium included Judges, Magistrates, Lawyers, Legislators, Police, Immigration, Customs, Investigators, Forensic Pathologists/Scientists, Medical practitioners, Emergency Responders, Fire Brigade, Investigative Journalists, Students and the Press.
Recall that the Forensic Centre was established by the Lagos State government in 2017 to aid criminal investigation through DNA analysis.

https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/08/15/lagos-to-tackle-crime-with-forensic-dna-analysis-solicitor-general/?amp

nowhere in the country has this capability
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Ugwumagala: 2:56pm On Aug 18, 2019
BrokenCock:
Lagos is always ahead of the entire Nigeria! Everytime a western man rules the country, we also see a difference unlike these ancient Fulani men

6 Shares

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by kernel001: 3:08pm On Aug 18, 2019
dominique:

That was the first thing that came into my mind. I guess a lot of people don't know without data base all these all stories. Just like many times the FG has invested on CCTV on various streets, how can you identify who you don't have his identity?
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by grandstar(m): 3:18pm On Aug 18, 2019
Siberry:

You don't need a database in place before starting forensic analysis.

DNA can be used to confirm a suspect has indeed committed the crime. How? Get samples from the scene ( which is not feasible in Naija now) and then get sample from the suspect, run the DNA analysis of both and compare.

Database is generated gradually....as they collect samples from scene and suspects.

Meanwhile, this is an old post! How did it suddenly turn up on the front page and how far with the facility though?

I marvel at how beneficial DNA has become.

In America, it is possible for most abandoned babies when grown up to track their birth parents, siblings and blood relations down.

I watch a lot of these very touching reunions.

There was a very touching one where a 5 day old baby was abandoned in a church, sought of a manger. It made headlines in America.

The white baby was eventually adopted by and brought up in a loving home.

He however wanted to know his roots as it left a big hole in his life. He hired a DNA detective who tracked down an uncle and then a half sibling. The detective asked the half sibling what church the mother attends and she mentioned the church where the boy was abandoned. His search was over. He was to learn his birth mum died 2 years earlier.

Arrangements were made for his 4 half siblings to meet him in his house. At 44years of age, he had physical contact with blood relations for the first time in his life by hugging his siblings. He asked them who he looked like and they said he looked a lot like an uncle's.

They now sat down and he opened up about his past and how he was found in a church when he was barely 5 days old. This news overwhelmed his 3 sisters and they were in tears. They hadn't known and never knew why their mum did so.

I currently have a cousin who was adopted. She's about 20 year now and senses she might have been adopted. She was told her mum died when she was young and that her brother who lives in London is her father.

I wish I could help her when the time is ripe to track her real parents down but there's no DNA database to work with.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Kiezodumah(m): 3:29pm On Aug 18, 2019
[quote author=dominique post=81363796]And how do they intend to get a database? [/quote

U have said it all..I no need comment further
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by delishpot: 3:53pm On Aug 18, 2019
And this is news? When real humans are looking to establish a colony in Mars, lagos is planning to use DNA in forensics. The person wey do us this thing...... God dey o.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by baratech: 4:11pm On Aug 18, 2019
Una welldone
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by baratech: 4:11pm On Aug 18, 2019
delishpot:
And this is news? When real humans are looking to establish a colony in Mars, lagos is planning to use DNA in forensics. The person wey do us this thing...... God dey o.

Lolzzz
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by naijajobx: 4:35pm On Aug 18, 2019
Oh
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 18, 2019
illitrate:

In a working society during national id card documentation, You record biometric and things like dna in your database so as to take samples on crime scenes and scan for a match when a crime is committed. In a country of 200m people, no database means a jungle.
Absolutely! correct.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by liverpudian9(m): 7:52pm On Aug 18, 2019
dominique:
NIMC
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by WriterX(m): 8:21pm On Aug 18, 2019
Blue3k:

That's a ridiculous question to ask. You arrest the suspects of said crime and test them.

Cite the law please.

I watch and study crimes for fun and writing purposes, I don't make stuff up for the fun of it.

please refer to the link below

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/15/nyregion/nypd-dna-database.html
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by WriterX(m): 8:24pm On Aug 18, 2019
gypsey:
Absolutely! correct.

but not possible, do you have any idea how DNA profiling , the work, the time it takes which could go a month or months or weeks, the funds, the expertise needed , even a simple thing as a head count for census is a problem in the U. S. A even with technology and all.
the most and effective viable means is to start profiling offenders who have been caught first.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 18, 2019
WriterX:

but not possible, do you have any idea how DNA profiling , the work, the time it takes which could go a month or months or weeks, the funds, the expertise needed , even a simple thing as a head count for census is a problem in the U. S. A even with technology and all.
the most and effective viable means is to start profiling offenders who have been caught first.

And what if the offenders caught are not the culprits? I would have thought that to profile or fingerprint an offender, Their DNA or print would already has been obtained and stored previously.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by WriterX(m): 10:03pm On Aug 18, 2019
gypsey:
And what if the offenders caught are not the culprits? I would have thought that to profile or fingerprint an offender, Their DNA or print would already has been obtained and stored previously.

such person can file a case for the withdrawal of his DNA from the police database there have been cases as such BTW finger printing or latent printing vary from DNA profiling
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Blue3k(m): 4:25am On Aug 19, 2019
WriterX:

I watch and study crimes for fun and writing purposes, I don't make stuff up for the fun of it.

please refer to the link below

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/15/nyregion/nypd-dna-database.html

That's all well and good but you're still subject to scrutiny. I read the article its New York city not New State or federal government. It seems like either steal DNA via intimidation tactics or regular means via investigation.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by WriterX(m): 6:47am On Aug 19, 2019
Blue3k:

That's all well and good but you're still subject to scrutiny. I read the article its New York city not New State or federal government. It seems like either steal DNA via intimidation tactics or regular means via investigation.

steal and intimidation isn't the word I would use , this is the civil world where you can refuse to be questioned and ask for a lawyer though and not just NY alone it covers most states in the U. S , have read on such cases where suspects cigarettes after been smoked and thrown away are picked up and taken back to the lab.

it is simply assumed that what you throw away or do not use anymore can be deemed usable by government officials hence law enforcement agencies.
though just like this case scenario at NY each state has its own rulling by which this style of obtaining DNA is done.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kano Police Arrest Man Over Colleague’s Death / Armed Men Abduct Final Year UNN Student / Hard Drugs, Street Names And Effects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.