Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,103 members, 7,811,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:33 PM

What Is Wisdom? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Wisdom? (1636 Views)

Changing Lives Is Wisdom – Pastor Sam Adeyemi / When Wisdom Is Profitable For Nothing / 40 Words Of Wisdom From The Bible!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Wisdom? by budaatum: 5:13pm On Aug 16, 2019
A simple question one might think, but what do we mean when we say a person has wisdom and is wise?

What is wisdom?
Re: What Is Wisdom? by MuttleyLaff: 9:12pm On Aug 16, 2019
budaatum:
A simple question one might think, but what do we mean when we say a person has wisdom and is wise?
A person lacks wisdom or is not being wise, if such person decides to jaywalk across a busy 26-lane highway.

A person is not wise, if such upon seeing a standing policeman, decides to drive his/her car in the bus lane during its enforced operational hours

If intelligence, let's one know that, tomato is a fruit, then it's wisdom, that makes one, not to put tomato in a fruit salad and/or in a fruit bowl.

budaatum:
What is wisdom?
Wisdom is carrying out correct decision making practices, activities and/or right processes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Wisdom? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Aug 16, 2019
budaatum:

What is wisdom?

Practical Applications of accumulated information which produces lasting benefits! Luke 7:35

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Wisdom? by budaatum: 10:45am On Aug 17, 2019
How does one get Wisdom?
Re: What Is Wisdom? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 17, 2019
budaatum:
How does one get Wisdom?

You can only acquire wisdom by walking with wise persons! Proverbs 13:20

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wisdom? by budaatum: 12:47pm On Aug 17, 2019
Maximus69:

I take it that by "walking", you mean "learning"?
Re: What Is Wisdom? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 17, 2019
budaatum:

I take it that by "walking", you mean "learning"?

It simply means carefully watching and examining the activities of wise persons {Deuteronomy 6:6-7} so if those close to you are worshippers of the true God and you refuse to learn about wisdom through their day to day activities, that's unwise on your part! 1Corinthians 15:13

That's why we try to make close friends with only the worshippers of Jehovah! Psalms 1:1-3
Re: What Is Wisdom? by budaatum: 1:17pm On Aug 17, 2019
Maximus69:

It simply means carefully watching and examining the activities of wise persons {Deuteronomy 6:6-7} so if those close to you are worshippers of the true God and you refuse to learn about wisdom through their day to day activities, that's unwise on your part! 1Corinthians 15:13

That's why we try to make close friends with only the worshippers of Jehovah! Psalms 1:1-3
So, serve an apprenticeship? Learn from others?
Re: What Is Wisdom? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 17, 2019
budaatum:

So, serve an apprenticeship? Learn from others?

Learning doesn't just implies serving as an apprentice, it connotes taking note of how they do things and imitating them! Hebrews 13:7 compared to 2Timothy 3:15
Re: What Is Wisdom? by budaatum: 1:30pm On Aug 17, 2019
Maximus69:

Learning doesn't just implies serving as an apprentice, it connotes taking note of how they do things and imitating them! Hebrews 13:7 compared to 2Timothy 3:15
"Taking note of how they do things and imitating them" is precisely the meaning of serving as an apprentice, and is a form of learning, though there are other ways to learn, like studying what learned people have written.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Is Wisdom? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Aug 17, 2019
budaatum:

"Taking note of how they do things and imitating them" is precisely the meaning of serving as an apprentice, and is a form of learning, though they are other ways to learn, like studying what learned people have written.

@bolded

Is the exact learning of writing and reading but in Christianity we learn by examples that's why it took God's organization {Jehovah's Witnesses} almost 200 years to catch-up with the exact system of worship true Christians used in the first century because there is no one we are seeing to imitate!
Re: What Is Wisdom? by budaatum: 7:01pm On Aug 17, 2019
Maximus69:

@bolded

Is the exact learning of writing and reading but in Christianity we learn by examples that's why it took God's organization {Jehovah's Witnesses} almost 200 years to catch-up with the exact system of worship true Christians used in the first century because there is no one we are seeing to imitate!
I don't think I get you. There was always scripture to read and learn from, which even Jesus did and taught from too, and thousands of books have followed from which to learn from. I've attached one for you.

Those with eyes see the straight line drawn from Moses to Samson to David to the Prophets to Jesus as their examples today.

Re: What Is Wisdom? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 17, 2019
budaatum:

I don't think I get you. There was always scripture to read and learn from, which even Jesus did and taught from too, and thousands of books have followed from which to learn from. I've attached one for you.

Those with eyes see the straight line drawn from Moses to Samson to David to the Prophets to Jesus as their examples today.
Naaaaaaaah!
@bolded

These people are from the same lineage and their nation had the Law that's totally different from all other nations. They're all Jacob's children and that law is preserved in scrolls to be read and reread every Sabbath {Saturday} for all their families to know about God's plans.
But today people from different countries and nationalites are trying to worship that same God NOT according to that same law but according to Jesus who didn't give them laws in a written form!
Jesus lived by his own laws! So for anyone living over two thousand years later after this man, it's going to be extremely difficult to learn from Jesus who didn't give laws as in written code! Jeremiah 31:31-34

Jehovah's Witnesses passed through rigorous processes before we're able to meet up with the standard we're in today, by intensively studying and meditating on what's in the scriptures regarding Jesus' thoughts, words and actions!

So now that the organization is in shape, whoever wants to imitate God's modern day worshipers must be part of us and start observing those who are diligently living by the principles. In that way, you'll become wise like those whose hearts are complete with JEHOVAH! 2chronicles 16:9
Re: What Is Wisdom? by MrPresident1: 8:51pm On Aug 17, 2019
Buda for eartum buda for eartum, how you dey now? grin

budaatum:

What is wisdom?

Wisdom is living in the fear of the one who said this:

Luke 19:27
But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.
Re: What Is Wisdom? by budaatum: 2:14am On Aug 18, 2019
MrPresident1:
Buda for eartum buda for eartum, how you dey now? grin

Wisdom is living in the fear of the one who said this:

But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.
You do know this thread is for you to consider what you might think, right? Is wisdom, for you, living in fear?
Re: What Is Wisdom? by budaatum: 2:19am On Aug 18, 2019
Maximus69:

Jesus lived by his own laws! So for anyone living over two thousand years later after this man, it's going to be extremely difficult to learn from Jesus who didn't give laws as in written code!
Why is it extremely difficult (for you) to learn from Jesus? Are his teachings not clear enough for you?
Re: What Is Wisdom? by HappyPagan: 11:17am On Aug 18, 2019
budaatum:

What is wisdom?

A wise man knows a lot, but never enough. Humble enough to admit mistakes, compassionate enough to show examples to others.

His intelligence has practical applications.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is Wisdom? by MrPresident1: 12:48pm On Aug 18, 2019
budaatum:

You do know this thread is for you to consider what you might think, right? Is wisdom, for you, is living in fear?

You are not against his rulership, are you? That is the opposite of wisdom
Re: What Is Wisdom? by budaatum: 1:03pm On Aug 18, 2019
MrPresident1:

You are not against his rulership, are you? That is the opposite of wisdom
I am under the impression you separate the two or have a juvenile attitude to God.

Grown up very wise Jesus Christ the Messiah never feared the Lord God Almighty so why should one fear the Father in heaven?

Would one gain knowledge and wisdom by being afraid? Is a fearful person wise?
Re: What Is Wisdom? by MuttleyLaff: 1:36pm On Aug 18, 2019
budaatum:
How does one get Wisdom?
The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, and you get wisdom from desisting from committing anything evil, anything wrong and/or give thoughts, action or deeds that make deep inroads into your bank of positivity a wide berth

Maximus69:
The comment with the word "only" is incorrect, because you can acquire wisdom, from learning from yourself of taking a choice that turned out tobe unwise. For example, a person that survived a knock when jaywalk crossing a busy 26-lane highway, next time would engage wisdom to use an underground or over head pedestrian walkway. He didnt have to learn that from a wise person

Wisdom is the application of knowledge, information, data etcetera. No wonder investment in knowledge, pays the best interest, besides, there's the saying about: "Prefer knowledge to wealth, as, one is permanent, the other isnt"

The book of proverbs in Proverbs 4:7, says it, like this: "Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! Acquire wisdom; And with all your acquiring, get understanding." I'll augment Proverbs 4:7 with, always question, don't be satisfied with just only knowing, find out the why and how of the knowledge
Re: What Is Wisdom? by budaatum: 1:43pm On Aug 18, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.
It may be the beginning, but I doubt fear is that necessary perhaps because I understand fear to mean, 'be afraid of', and somehow, fear and the wise don't mix in my head.

Why should I be afraid of the Lord God Almighty? Would I teach my child to be afraid of the Lord to gain knowledge and wisdom, or would I teach my child to learn God's ways instead?

Do you teach your children fear, muttley?
Re: What Is Wisdom? by budaatum: 1:56pm On Aug 18, 2019
It is rather funny how some focus on a single verse in a massive book and disregard just about every other related verse in the same book.

Vāde ad formīcam, ō piger, et consīderā viās eius, et disce sapientiam.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wisdom? by MuttleyLaff: 2:14pm On Aug 18, 2019
budaatum:
It may be the beginning, but I doubt fear is that necessary perhaps because I understand fear to mean, 'be afraid of', and somehow, fear and the wise don't mix in my head.
You don begin going off on a tangent again, doing OTT and all that.

Let me ask you, do you fear sharp kitchen knives, hmm? Of course, I know you dont. I know you arent afraid of sharp kitchen knives but that, you do respect them, as much as you do respect your glistening black soft delicate fingers and/or hands.

budaatum:
Why should I be afraid of the Lord God Almighty? Would I teach my child to be afraid of the Lord to gain knowledge and wisdom, or would I teach my child to learn God's ways instead?
Why should you not have a high regard of the Lord God Almighty?
Why would you not teach your child to respect and admire the Lord to gain knowledge and wisdom, or would you not teach your child to learn God's ways with respect instead

budaatum:
Do you teach your children fear, muttley?
God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind or sound judgment. There is no teaching of fear in our household.
Re: What Is Wisdom? by budaatum: 2:27pm On Aug 18, 2019
Please muttley. Speak in English and imagine I am a child.

Why say "fear" if you mean something else?

MuttleyLaff:
You don begin going off on a tangent again, doing OTT and all that.

Let me ask you, do you fear sharp kitchen knives, hmm? Of course, I know you dont. I know you arent afraid of sharp kitchen knives but that, you do respect them, as much as you do respect your glistening black soft delicate fingers and/or hands.

Why should you not have a high regard of the Lord God Almighty?
Why would you not teach your child to respect and admire the Lord to gain knowledge and wisdom, or would you not teach your child to learn God's ways with respect instead

God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind or sound judgment. There is no teaching of fear in our household.
Re: What Is Wisdom? by MuttleyLaff: 2:55pm On Aug 18, 2019
budaatum:
Please muttley. Speak in English and imagine I am a child.

Why say "fear" if you mean something else?
Fyi, it is English bible speak, and the biblical meaning of fear, as in, the fear of God in that context, refers to reverence or a specific sense of respect, awe, and submission to a higher being.
Re: What Is Wisdom? by MrPresident1: 3:21pm On Aug 18, 2019
Ponder on wisdom, buda for eartum

But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

budaatum:

I am under the impression you separate the two or have a juvenile attitude to God.

Grown up very wise Jesus Christ the Messiah never feared the Lord God Almighty so why should one fear the Father in heaven?

Would one gain knowledge and wisdom by being afraid? Is a fearful person wise?
Re: What Is Wisdom? by budaatum: 3:45pm On Aug 18, 2019
MrPresident1:
Ponder on wisdom, buda for eartum

But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

I don't see why I should ponder on you taking me where I would be slayed. I'm not some child whom you would scare with the boogeyman. And by the way, the name is budaatum. buda, for short.
Re: What Is Wisdom? by Nobody: 3:52am On Aug 19, 2019
budaatum:

Why is it extremely difficult (for you) to learn from Jesus? Are his teachings not clear enough for you?

If it's that clear enough for everyone reading about him, then why all these arguments about his teachings now? cheesy

My little girl! You can't learn DIRECTLY from Jesus who never gave laws in written form but lived his own laws when you're not seeing him practice what he wants you to know while watching him!

That's why he selected 12 out of his followers specifically those following him everywhere to teach others about his thoughts, words and actions!

It became extremely difficult to learn from him now that there are thousands of different religious sects saying contradicting things about this same man!

For instance most people thought Jesus forbids hairdos, makeup, earrings, stylish clothes for women, and many are asserting that Jesus even forbids taking alcoholic beverages whereas the Bible never said all these about the man from Nazareth! embarassed

In an occasion Jesus publicly declared he eats and drinks, and criticts calls him a GLUTTON {because they observed him closely and never for once heard him say "i'm fasting" so he always eat having no special fasting days like his contemporary religious teachers} His followers also don't fast because they don't notice their master do so, therefore people questioned him! Matthew 9:14 compared to Luke 18:12
And a DRUNKARD {because they observed he is not selective of drinks} READ Luke 7:31-35

That's the more reason why it's important for you and i to ask "which of all these religious groups perfectly understood exactly how Jesus lived?"

1 Like

Re: What Is Wisdom? by Nobody: 4:00am On Aug 19, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, and you get wisdom from desisting from committing anything evil, anything wrong and/or give thoughts, action or deeds that make deep inroads into your bank of positivity a wide berth

The comment with the word "only" is incorrect, because you can acquire wisdom, from learning from yourself of taking a choice that turned out tobe unwise. For example, a person that survived a knock when jaywalk crossing a busy 26-lane highway, next time would engage wisdom to use an underground or over head pedestrian walkway. He didnt have to learn that from a wise person

Wisdom is the application of knowledge, information, data etcetera. No wonder investment in knowledge, pays the best interest, besides, there's the saying about: "Prefer knowledge to wealth, as, one is permanent, the other isnt"

The book of proverbs in Proverbs 4:7, says it, like this: "Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! Acquire wisdom; And with all your acquiring, get understanding." I'll augment Proverbs 4:7 with, always question, don't be satisfied with just only knowing, find out the why and how of the knowledge

I don't think buda wants to experience such evil that's why she's asking how she could become wise!

Otherwise she would have expected to learn from her own mistakes which is not a sign of wisdom but FOLLY! wink
Re: What Is Wisdom? by MuttleyLaff: 4:50am On Aug 19, 2019
budaatum:
I don't see why I should ponder on you taking me where I would be slayed. I'm after all not some child whom you would scare with the boogeyman. And by the way, the name is budaatum. buda, for short.
"1In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job.
This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and eschewed evil (i.e. shunned evil).
2And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters.
3His substance also was seven thousand sheep, and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she asses, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the men (i.e. of all the sons) of the East
"
- Job 1:1-3

I recommend you ponder on these verses
Re: What Is Wisdom? by budaatum: 12:01pm On Aug 19, 2019
Maximus69:

My little girl!
Are you trying to get the red of my eye directed at you max, you patronising pig? Please speak for yourself that you need to join a religious group to have your brain drenched in stupidity.

"For God so loved the world that God gave his only begotten Son", says the Word, and not your twisted version that replaces that which God gave with "some religious group". If you lack wisdom, ask God!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Did Yahweh Support Polygamy? / *AGE OF DECEIT* Fallen Angels And The New World Order / Nigerian Church Where Animals Are Offered As Sacrifice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.