Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,358 members, 7,836,463 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! (5536 Views)

David Oyedepo In Akwa-Ibom For Udom's Thanksgiving (Photos) / Ambode, Osinbajo, At Bishop Okonkwo's Birthday Thanksgiving (Photos) / Dont Be Deceived In Church Today Brethren. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Gombs(m): 1:57pm On Nov 12, 2010
chamotex:

What can Arsenal fans be celebrating though . . . . Emirates cup?

why don't you stick to the topic?must you think like you are crude? embarassed angry
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by chamotex(m): 2:05pm On Nov 12, 2010
Gombs:

why don't you stick to the topic?must you think like you are crude? embarassed angry

Oh I hit a raw nerve?
If you were smart enough . . . you will know that my post was 'on-topic'. tongue
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Nobody: 2:11pm On Nov 12, 2010
funny queestion, what is that man doing with a newspaper in a CHURCH?
the mentality of nigerians these days baaffles me, i wonder if they danced like this when enyimba won the league,
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Ranoscky(m): 2:12pm On Nov 12, 2010
Kini big deal ? undecided

Lets put it this way. . .I.e Chelsea wants to play a crucial match, a must win match that would see them lift the trophy after the match. And for me being a true Chelsea fan, I promised God that if Chelsea wins the match, I'll make a thanx givin. Then after the match, Chelsea won and I decided to give thanx givin to God, is there any big deal on it? undecided
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by aparata: 2:16pm On Nov 12, 2010
If i were in that churchi would have done what that man reading paper did,nigerians are going crazy and some unpricipled and aimless fellows are joining the bandwagon effect.People wants to be termed updated thats the misdeed of many nigerians.We try to immitate western culture without asking why the practise such.Which day will an english man join u to celebrate enyimba victor?inferiority complex is our problem.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Ranoscky(m): 2:24pm On Nov 12, 2010
^

Na you get your mouth, you can say all you like.

I hope you do hear about the phrase that says "One can't pls the world" ?
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by jedisco(m): 2:42pm On Nov 12, 2010
Why is everyone ranting? Afterall the bible says "IN ALL THINGS GIVE THANKS"
So if its wrong to thank God about ftball in church then i guess it would also be wrong to watch it outside.
If someone can watch every single match of his club throughout the year then what is wrong in him thanking God for it
I guess is hard for some folks to see that ftball has gone beyond just a mere sport its now a way of life.
Although like every thing on earth it has its negatives but the positives (e.g unity) should be embrased and fostered by the church
Paul said " i became everything to every one that i might by all means win some" - I guess this includes becoming a fan to the footballers and fans so as to win them. Remember that football intrests the average nigerian youth more than the church
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by wale4x35(m): 2:52pm On Nov 12, 2010
This is pure demonstration of confirmed madness  angry angry angry angry angry

And the man reading newspaper and NOT BIBLE in the house of worship 

I rest my case.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by binaflexia: 2:54pm On Nov 12, 2010
End never shall wonders!,  grin
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 12, 2010
debosky:

While it appears shocking at first glance. . . .I don't think they are celebrating Arsenal per se.

What I suspect is happening is that there was some church football tournament and the team that won chose Arsenal as it's colours. I would really be gobsmacked if they were actually celebrating Arsenal FC. What would there be to celebrate when the season is barely a third of the way through?

Again, I think it's some church footie event. . . .while a bit over the top, it might not be completely out of place for the church team to celebrate during the service.

You have a point . . . undecided
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:06pm On Nov 12, 2010
The Church might just be Our Lady of Lourdes Aguda Surulere. I actually saw the start of the procession,, Arsenal, Barca,ManU etc it is just a gimmick to raise money. not something unusual grin
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by enyhss(m): 3:16pm On Nov 12, 2010
Tell me this is not real. what the heck? embarassed
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Irk(m): 3:17pm On Nov 12, 2010
You cant call football an egregious or immoral act. Though I dont concur wit the thanksgiving but its not a bad thing looking at it objectively. Football is the only event or meeting that can bring aged enemies together. See poland and Germany for example,there two countries has never been in good terms since the 2nd world war but just last two years football reunited them. So I wouldn't call it an immoral act rather You should call it lack of Nationalism and patriotism within Nigerians
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Zi: 3:22pm On Nov 12, 2010
This is not exactly new to me. U guys don't understand. It happens in my church too & its great fun. Although not dis way. Once every year, my church like most other churches do their annual thanksgiving. So 2yrs ago, we had a church project & needed a lot of cash. After people had come in families &groups for the thanksgiving, the priest (in d bid to get more money 4 d work) suprising announced, oya if u know u r a chelsea fan, come victorously 4 ur thanksgiving. People out of suprise &excitment sprang up and gave. On and on he announced more clubs. So last year, people esp young people got ready (by wearing jerseys) 4 dat part of harvest. Its been great!
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by bababuff(m): 3:32pm On Nov 12, 2010
Is that man reading newspaper in church? Na wa o! angry
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by jibsyola(f): 3:40pm On Nov 12, 2010
funny
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by kenkruse: 4:28pm On Nov 12, 2010
It is a usual practice in any church to seek for fund from various groups and interest within the church.

In catholic church, especially during bazaar thanksgiving, different groups like catholic men, women, youth, children are called upon to give thankgiving.

Likewise, different interest groups and professionals like town unions, states, ethnic groups, NYSC, Lawyers, Doctors, civil servants,traders, students, choristers, prayer groups etc.

So what is wrong if football fans decide to thank God for the clubs they support. I think God will be more pleased because they do it joyfully. The church did not impose it on them, they do it with cheerful mind inorder to contribute to the church.

Again, this kind of thanksgiving is after the mass so it doesnt interrupt the church service. That's why you see somebody reading newspaper.

The folks that claim to be holier than thou, dont judge so that you will not be judged. lipsrsealed
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by kobikwelu(m): 4:35pm On Nov 12, 2010
loll

when my colleague at the office told me that a catholic church in his area, now does thanksgiving for clubs, i was shocked.

looking at it, it is not a bad idea to do, after the mass has ended

all na part of fund raising, by the way, ull be shocked that more people would identify with this and give freely in comparison to bible quoting and reharshing over-flogged religious cliches

and all u self - righteous 1s, abegggggii
what of other means by which the pentecostals extort people of funds
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by dayokanu(m): 4:45pm On Nov 12, 2010
Since Arsenal fans are the most mor0nic fans in the world, this should not be a surprise.

They were the ones involved in stabbing, They were the one who organised a prty for Fabregas winning Euro cup as a substitute, They were the one who painted a cow in Arsenal colour to celebrate 5 yrs of trophylessness.

The Arsenal fanbase is usually a gathering of retards.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by tablo: 5:44pm On Nov 12, 2010
For the sake of GOd whom we will all account to this is bad CAN should look into this
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by baby4u2(f): 6:00pm On Nov 12, 2010
they are acting a drama.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by codjileo07(m): 6:03pm On Nov 12, 2010
We nt under CAN & CAN on Her own shuld deal wit Her Issues!.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by tlops(m): 6:04pm On Nov 12, 2010
did u guys not see a man reading newspaper shocked shocked is that still in the church,
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Cr8inme: 6:09pm On Nov 12, 2010
Intrepid et all supporters, una never see anything yet oo. This one na small. That na my church sef, nothing spoil. When we don finish pray and meditate, it is time for some form of social activity just for the purpurse of raising funds amongst us. Very interesting and relaxing while in the presence of God. Nothing dey haps.
I wanna invite all of you to my church to witness this first hand. Let me first find out when the next episode of this kind of drama will unfold. Trust me! grin
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Ranoscky(m): 6:14pm On Nov 12, 2010
^^

My sista, if you find out make u remind me abeg, i go com. Who no like am, make em go wait me for outside.

@Jedisco, Preach on broda, I dey feel you.

@Kobikwelu, help me ask them O.

@Kenkruse, thank you broda, you talk well.

If it's some football players that went to church to give thanksgivin I doubt if some responses here would be dsame. Why not rant when football players pray before playin a match?. .If so, what has God got to do with football? Or do you guys think thanksgivin is only when one wins a contract of millions of dollars, or, when someone comes out of a collapsed buildin unhurt that's when they'r to go for thanksgivin? Well, if you guys don't know, even travellin from one state to another is worth thanksgivin cos not so many peeps are opportuned to see the end of such trip.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by kenkruse: 6:19pm On Nov 12, 2010
Thanks too,
somebody has already pointed it out that in all things, give thanks to God, may be they dont know
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by 49cents(m): 7:48pm On Nov 12, 2010
have you ever prayed that the super eagles or your club to win especially when its crucial; i mean juxt a whiser or interiorly? i believe everything must be done with decorum without it over riding the substance of the purpose which should be the worship of God. did it ocuur to ou that a non churh attending chelsea fan can be in church and subsequent gain the religious part of the service becos other chelsea fans will be there?

did you surmise that the guy reading a newspaper maybe rading a religiuous one?
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by oshyno(m): 9:34pm On Nov 12, 2010
You got a job,your friends trouped out for thanksgiving.Someones club is giving him joy,he goes for thanksgiving and you peeps r having headache.
I tire oo.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Nobody: 9:53pm On Nov 12, 2010
I choose to stand out of agreeing with most comments/opinions expressed above. If the bible says in all. things, we should be thankful, then they may be right. Unless if it was stated in the bible the kind of celebration that should be done in the Tabernacle
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by JeSoul(f): 10:06pm On Nov 12, 2010
"In all things give thanks to God"  the most quoted scripture on this thread.

I wonder . . .
- if a pastor uses trickery to get the church to give money - should he give thanks to God?
- if I play a game of cards with some friends and win - can I give thanks to God?
- if a man should divorce his wife and marry a younger woman - can he go ahead and give thanks?
- if a thief steals and becomes rich - can he still give thanks?
- if someone cheats on an exam and passes - are thanks to God appropriate?
- if the Celtics go ahead and win another basketball championship - should I give thanks to God?

here's the scripture in proper context: 1 Thess 5 "Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else. Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."

Paul is telling the Thessalonians that even in the midst of the hard times and struggles, and that no matter what condition or circumstance they find themselves - they should always give thanks to God. Please let us use scripture in their proper context, and not apply them whenever it might seem to fit in so as to justify what should not be justifiable. And before someone comes and accuses me of being over-righteous - I did not say churches cannot have fun and participate in competitive banter - but there must be a time and place for everything. Just me 2kobo.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by debosky(m): 10:09pm On Nov 12, 2010
^^

If you belonged to a church and you won a basketball tournament as the 'church celtics' would you celebrate in church in the same way?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can a Christian go to The Mosque? / How Did Judas Iscariot Actually Die? / Looking Into Buddhism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.