Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,066 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

Does My Food Smell - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Does My Food Smell (1302 Views)

My Food Does Not Scent.what Could Be The Cause? / Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? / My Food Tastes Funny - Please Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does My Food Smell by kokoye(m): 6:00pm On Oct 21, 2010
I usually eat my food in my cubicle . . with foreigners all around me. You know how we do it . . rice with stew with egusi soup and stock fish.

I know the smell and am ok with it cos it's my food.

But do you think other may find it offensive cos it is different from what they are used to? but noone has never walked up to me to say something.

Should I just live my life I enjoy my food since no-one has complained. .or eat this kinda food at home alone?
Re: Does My Food Smell by kokoye(m): 6:00pm On Oct 21, 2010
btw, they all eat their own food in their cubicles as well . . .some of them smell too but I dont find them offensive. . .or even care.
Re: Does My Food Smell by cathrinne: 1:16pm On Oct 22, 2010
Okay , you have to preserve your food from external moisture as it will get acquire some unnecessary particles in it and they will spoil your food soon. Freezing and boiling are the best ways of the preservation .
Re: Does My Food Smell by kokoye(m): 2:33pm On Oct 22, 2010
Re: Does My Food Smell by dejonimist(m): 5:08pm On Oct 22, 2010
Fresh Palm Oil/Snail Straight from Village farm for sale in Lagos. Office or Home delivery if required. Call 08085835828, 01-4015937. Limited stock available!
Re: Does My Food Smell by InkedNerd(f): 5:38pm On Oct 22, 2010
kokoye:

btw, they all eat their own food in their cubicles as well . . .some of them smell too but I dont find them offensive. . .or even care.

If they have their food from their own places then why shouldn't you have your own. I understand what your saying though. There are certain things that smell good to us as Nigerians and smell bad to others. I suppose you just need to be mindful of certain dishes. For example, my mom takes jolloff rice and sauteed salmon to work but is at times mindful of other meals that she brings. I remember her once telling me that one time she walked into the eating area of her office to warm some food and she was smelling some Nigerian dishes. She said she didn't mind the smell but that the people who heat up their food should be mindful of how the food smells given the fact that the eating area is a communal area.
Re: Does My Food Smell by kokoye(m): 7:17pm On Oct 22, 2010
Thanks. I'm being mindful about it . . that's why I created this thread.

Like I mentioned, no one has said anything about it, and I think they would if they really had a problem with it.

I have a friend who literarily had to go eat in his car because others around his cubicle went to talk to him . .he went to the breakroom and the people there were frowning as well when he started started stirring his food. cheesy

My own never reach that level.
Re: Does My Food Smell by IbrahimB: 7:23pm On Oct 22, 2010
kokoye:

I have a friend who literarily had to go eat in his car because others around his cubicle went to talk to him . .he went to the breakroom and the people there were frowning as well when he started started stirring his food. cheesy

Or maybe your colleagues are more tolerant! grin
Re: Does My Food Smell by InkedNerd(f): 7:44pm On Oct 22, 2010
kokoye:

Thanks. I'm being mindful about it . . that's why I created this thread.

Like I mentioned, no one has said anything about it, and I think they would if they really had a problem with it.

Well, if they ever complain make sure you point out that they have food that smells as well [not in a rude manner though].

IbrahimB:

Or maybe your colleagues are more tolerant! grin

Hmmm, that could also be a reason as well.
Re: Does My Food Smell by kokoye(m): 8:00pm On Oct 22, 2010
If they can tolerate it, then all well and good.

cos I tolerate theirs too
Re: Does My Food Smell by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 24, 2010
Things like fish can smell. If you're eating it for lunch and you've covered it since morning, when you open the bowl, of course it's going to have an odor. But it shouldn't be anything horrid, unless you've cooked it 10 days beforehand. And when you microwave it, the initial smell that probably wasn't pleasant'll go away. Anyway, unless it smells horrible, which i'm sure it doesn't smiley, i wouldn't worry about it. I find people to be usually accommodating when it comes to different foods. And they know when you're eating something from your country it'll smell different than what they're used to, so i'm sure no one'll said anything disrespectful to you. And if they've to approach you about the smell they won't do it in a belittling way, unless they're idiots. Just enjoy your food and don't worry what others think.  smiley
Re: Does My Food Smell by luap: 5:09pm On Oct 25, 2010
You think your food smells? Try eating Kimchi(fermented cabbage) in the office.
Re: Does My Food Smell by kokoye(m): 6:11pm On Oct 25, 2010
^^^

the name smells already,
Re: Does My Food Smell by InkedNerd(f): 10:56pm On Oct 25, 2010
luap:

You think your food smells? Try eating Kimchi(fermented cabbage) in the office.

Oh my Lord, that thing stinks to high heaven grin.
Re: Does My Food Smell by dolci: 7:48am On Oct 26, 2010
do you eat your food warm or cold? warming usually increases the smell,
if no one has complained then you don't have to do anything about it.
but i guess that instead of asking here in the forum you should ask קייטרינג 1 person at work (someone who will give you an honest answer)
Re: Does My Food Smell by armyofone(m): 1:58pm On Oct 26, 2010
rice and stew ok but stock fish soup in the office lipsrsealed na so u hungry reach grin

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Delicious Plantain Chips / How Much Does Your Average BREAKFAST COST? / Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.