Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity (7410 Views)

Employee Financial Wellbeing Can Boost Productivity. / Mathias Valon: The French Man With EUR 16m Dollars Turnover Annually / Research Reveals That Being In A Bad Mood Can Improve Your Brain’s Productivity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by eljayson(m): 12:40pm On Aug 21, 2019
A lot of companies lose millions yearly due to a high turnover rate of their staff.

It takes money to replace and train replacements and this is why businesses should endeavour to reduce their staff turnover rate.

Here are some reasons employees keep leaving and what you can do easily to increase staff retention.

1. Consider culture fitness while hiring:

Yes, it is important to hire highly skilled individuals but also pay attention to the detail of culture fit. Does this individual fit well with your company's values?

You can ask questions to test their behavioural responses to scenarios during the hiring process and to even go the extra mile, show them around your business and pay close attention to how they respond to the environment.

Hiring the right people will help reduce the turnover rate and ensure your employees fit in easily.

2. Offer competitive staff benefits and rewards.

More than just their take-home, giving proper staff benefit goes a long way to ensuring the turnover rate in a company is reduced.
Many employees want benefits and may decide to jump ship if they see another company who offers them even slightly less pay than you are, but with greater benefits.
Things like transportation, healthcare, paid vacations and others go a long way to keeping staff happy and reducing the turnover rate.

3. Pay staff on time:

Owed staff are unhappy staff. The bills are waiting at the end of the month whether you like it or not.
Paying staff early or setting up a system to pay staff when due, ensures they put in their best and makes it even less attractive for them to look outside.

4. Recognize hard work and effort with commendations:

For every major stride, positive reinforcement goes a long way to showing staff they are appreciated and makes most of them put in the extra work.
A company that truly appreciates the hard work of its staff sees a reduced turnover rate and boost in productivity more than one that operates seemingly oblivious of the effort they make.

5. Make working hours are flexible:

Before we became workers, we were first human. It is important to be flexible and understanding with working hours as long as the output is kept in focus. Helping your staff find a good work-life balance by making sure they have flexible working hours will not only reduce turnover rate but increase the overall branding of your company as they will definitely share the good news about how flexible their hours are.

6. Onboard properly:

Staff onboarding is something that has to be done right. It might seem like a process that can be skipped but it is well known that those who are on-boarded properly settle in and come up to speed way quicker than those who aren't.

Onboarding bridges the knowledge and culture gap between the old and new staff and ensures everyone is carried along in the direction of the company's vision and goals.

8 Likes

Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by eljayson(m): 1:38pm On Aug 21, 2019
These steps are easy and more companies are using the platform HR360 to ensure their staff are properly incentivized, onboarded and paid on time with the payroll management feature.

The best part is, it's free to access.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by pyro62(m): 2:46pm On Aug 21, 2019
I got a new job, and as a Nigerian still on the hustle level, still looking for more cash to grind and fund my dreams, I wouldn't remain here for long. I'm still looking for job that will pay more, and won't owe me at all.. Its nothing personal Boss, I am only a hustler with big dreams.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by chinavs9ja(m): 2:46pm On Aug 21, 2019
It is well, where is the job now

I am a website designer...check my signature

2 Likes

Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by milkyworld(m): 2:47pm On Aug 21, 2019
Wawu!
Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by Jabioro: 2:49pm On Aug 21, 2019
It doesn't work that way ... grammar and packages..I have my way
Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by mixta140: 2:49pm On Aug 21, 2019
Supper cool.
But wer is d job

For stubborn STI check my signature.

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by mixta140: 2:49pm On Aug 21, 2019
chinavs9ja:
It is well, where is the job now

I am a website designer...check my signature

Abi ooo

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by basic23111: 2:54pm On Aug 21, 2019
the only reason why i av spend 4years with my company is the fact that will attend atlease one course in a year and is paid by d management

3 Likes

Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by obajoey(m): 3:54pm On Aug 21, 2019
Number 1) does the company even have a good culture that anyone will like to fit in. You discover that some company's system and culture are nothing to write home about. No documented way of doing things, treat employees with disrespect and all sort.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by MzWendy: 4:12pm On Aug 21, 2019
Nice write up. Very nice indeed!!!! But how can one prove that they possess high potentials to perform in a job and willing to learn when there are limited opportunities?? Even volunteering to work and have a basic knowledge in a field you have passion for is becoming difficult. Not to talk more of working in an organization that values a talented employee, making sure that his/her needs are taken care of and then taking steps to make sure that all employees are rewarded according to their performance. #itiswell

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by Ugo4hotish(m): 5:36pm On Aug 21, 2019
ALL THOSE FACEBOOK CEOs WON'T COME AND READ THIS ARTICLE ABI

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by CeterisXVII: 5:37pm On Aug 21, 2019
eljayson:
These steps are easy and more companies are using the platform HR360 to ensure their staff are properly incentivized, onboarded and paid on time with the payroll management feature.

The best part is, it's free to access.

7). Treat your staff with respect and courtesy. A lot of Nigerian companies especially SMEs are guilty of treating their staff like crap. sad

The business owners talk down on them, and use uncomplimentary words to describe the actions of their staff. They feel they cannot pass their message across, without including a healthy dose of derision and ridicule. It needs to stop. angry

A worker who is well respected, and whose work is appreciated tends to perform better.

8.). Build good policies and structures within the business, that would aid and promote operational excellence. The business of the company should not be carried out in a haphazard manner, neither should official decisions be executed solely based on the owner's moods. undecided

9). Make training courses and programmes a core part of talent development within the company. Expose your staff to new methods and new ways of learning things, so that their performance can improve. Do not micromanage them. Allow them to use their initiative, to a reasonable extent, without damaging the company's products or services or profits.

obajoey:
Number 1) does the company even have a good culture that anyone will like to fit in. You discover that some company's system and culture are nothing to write home about. No documented way of doing things, treat employees with disrespect and all sort.

Exactly! shocked And SME business owners are the worst culprits in this regard. They often end up building a toxic workplace and then they inculcate a culture of blame in their offices, as they keep looking for who to witch hunt when things go wrong. undecided

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by CeterisXVII: 5:50pm On Aug 21, 2019
pyro62:
I got a new job, and as a Nigerian still on the hustle level, still looking for more cash to grind and fund my dreams, I wouldn't remain here for long. I'm still looking for job that will pay more, and won't owe me at all.. Its nothing personal Boss, I am only a hustler with big dreams.
Instead of looking for higher pay immediately, look for ways to improve your skills, knowledge and aptitude within the company. Search for opportunities to learn new things that would add value to your life, so you can be prepared for the next level.

It is when you improve yourself, that other firms can spot your talents and hire you, because you have something to offer. undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by ArykTECH(m): 6:21pm On Aug 21, 2019
CeterisXVII:

Instead of looking for higher pay immediately, look for ways to improve your skills, knowledge and aptitude within the company. Search for opportunities to learn new things that would add value to your life, so you can be prepared for the next level.

It is when you improve yourself, that other firms can spot your talents and hire you, because you have something to offer. undecided
God bless you for this golden advice. It is surprising how people neglects values in pursuit of money.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by Ajibade123(m): 12:01am On Aug 22, 2019
are you an entrepreneur check out these expansion strategies for your business expansion
https://explicitsuccess.com/expansion-strategies/
Re: 6 Ways Companies Can Reduce Staff Turnover And Boost Productivity by TOPCRUISE(m): 2:18am On Aug 22, 2019
Few comments. Implying everybody is self employed cry

(1) (Reply)

Ask Me Any Question At All And I'll Answer. / ' / Happy New Month Nairalanders (May)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.