Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

“No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal (24419 Views)

Buhari To Tribunal: I Beat Atiku In His Polling Unit / INEC To Tribunal: Atiku’s Lawyer Not Licensed To Practise In Nigeria / Eleka Rejects Ekiti Election Results, Heads To Tribunal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by Nobody: 7:05pm On Aug 21, 2019
I am not sure if Buhari can read and understand the Constitution of the country that he professes to lead, but for him to say before the Tribunal that, "No law requires me to produce my certificate," is absurd to say the least. If he's smart and intelligent enough to read and comprehend, then he should read Chapter VI, Part 1, Section A-131(d) of the Nigerian Constitution, wherein it states that: A person shall be qualified for election to the office of the President if -(d) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent. So, Mr. President, you're absolutely wrong to make such a preposterous statement. As long as your educational qualification is part of an issue before the Tribunal, the onus is on you to convince the body by production of documentation albeit Certificates to show that you met the section 131(d) requirement and was qualified as at the time you ran for the office. That is what the Judicial process is for...to adjudicate matters that arose and came before it. I am amazed at the thought process of these imbeciles that claim to be the leaders of this country. You need to learn to be judicious with your words and think before you speak.

2 Likes

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by bixton(m): 7:05pm On Aug 21, 2019
Wallade:

In this context, I refer to the lawyers and judges.

If they are learned as you say, our judicial system will not be in the mess it has been since after the war.

1 Like

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by Wallade(m): 7:08pm On Aug 21, 2019
bixton:

If they are learned as you say, our judicial system will not be in the mess it has been since after the war.

Unfortunately, that is the challenge with law. The legal and learned persons interpret and misconstrue the laws to suit their clients or do their bidding sometimes especially where the law is vague, unspecific and not explicit.

The major challenge that the President has in this case is the fact that his filing of documents and filling of form has a caveat in form of an attestation which is also tantamount to an affidavit which he signed on the form.

Hence, any information or document provided by him that is proven to be false, incorrect or misleading can be used in the court of law against him.

1 Like

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by IJEYdiamond(f): 7:16pm On Aug 21, 2019
He has technically confirmed that he doesn't have a cert..

He has been boxed to the corner.... Technically he would have just kept his mouth shut!!...

2 Likes

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by Bluffly: 7:24pm On Aug 21, 2019
AustinX:

Nigeria problem is the constitution, I want to believe that the people who wrote it are either on weed for probably needed to take a bottle of Origin which wasn't present at that time. So I suggest amendment or Revolution [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#770077][/color]
It was written in English which isn't their mother tongue.. How do you expect them to have command it properly
Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 7:26pm On Aug 21, 2019
Very good
Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by bixton(m): 7:28pm On Aug 21, 2019
Wallade:

Unfortunately, that is the challenge with law. The legal and learned persons interpret and misconstrue the laws to suit their clients or do their bidding sometimes especially where the law is vague, unspecific and not explicit.

The major challenge that the President has in this case is the fact that his filing of documents and filling of form has a caveat in form of an attestation which is also tantamount to an affidavit which he signed on the form.

Hence, any information or document provided by him that is proven to be false, incorrect or misleading can be used in the court of law against him.

Well, we are all waiting for the legal persons to show us the falsehood in his documents or whatever forms he must have filed. That will not be difficult to establish by them but we can't do that on social media because of the information floating over the internet.
Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by Wallade(m): 7:31pm On Aug 21, 2019
bixton:

Well, we are all waiting for the legal persons to show us the falsehood in his documents or whatever forms he must have filed. That will not be difficult to establish by them but we can't do that on social media because of the information floating over the internet.

Yes, we will see.

1 Like

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by wirinet(m): 7:35pm On Aug 21, 2019
MaNyEsq:
I am not sure if Buhari can read and understand the Constitution of the country that he professes to lead, but for him to say before the Tribunal that, "No law requires me to produce my certificate," is absurd to say the least. If he's smart and intelligent enough to read and comprehend, then he should read Chapter VI, Part 1, Section A-131(d) of the Nigerian Constitution, wherein it states that: A person shall be qualified for election to the office of the President if -(d) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent. So, Mr. President, you're absolutely wrong to make such a preposterous statement. As long as your educational qualification is part of an issue before the Tribunal, the onus is on you to convince the body by production of documentation albeit Certificates to show that you met the section 131(d) requirement and was qualified as at the time you ran for the office. That is what the Judicial process is for...to adjudicate matters that arose and came before it. I am amazed at the thought process of these imbeciles that claim to be the leaders of this country. You need to learn to be judicious with your words and think before you speak.

Section 318(1) defines and provides thus:

“(a) a secondary school Certificate or its equivalent, or Grade II Teacher’s Certificate, The City and Guilds Certificate; or (b) education up to secondary school certificate level; or (c) Primary Six School Leaving Certificate or its equivalent and – (i) service in the public or private sector in the Federation in any capacity acceptable to the Independent National Electoral Commission (“INEC”) for a minimum of ten years, and (ii) attendance at courses and training in such institutions as may be acceptable to the Independent National Electoral Commission for a period totaling up to a minimum of one year, and (iii) the ability to read, write and communicate in the English Language to the satisfaction of the Independent National Electoral Commission; and (d) any other qualification acceptable by the Independent National Electoral Commission;”

It is evident from the above definition section of the Constitution that the meaning of “school leaving certificate or its equivalent”, for the purpose of section 131(d), is a lot more flexible and accommodating than the popular view.

1 Like

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by DevilhimseIf: 7:39pm On Aug 21, 2019
[s]
LordviccoDaGuru:
Very good
[/s]
Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by RTSC2: 7:40pm On Aug 21, 2019
amuwo1980:

Most other Nigerians hate igbos with a passion and cant say why, maybe pangs of fear and envy
Yet they cannot replicate the value igbos create for Nigeria.

What a useless hate.
Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by Masterclass32: 7:57pm On Aug 21, 2019
vertueptime:
Jst from show us ur certificate, na him we de drag for years now, from one court to another, one blame to another, it is well

I tell u. He'd rather recruit SANs and lawyers to defend him in court than produce a piece of paper. Bring this paper make we see. No way. Why is it so elusive?

3 Likes

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by Amah70: 8:00pm On Aug 21, 2019
skyblueking:
The owner of Nigeria has spoken!
If you wan'o argue, DSS are waiting for you!!

The Buharis of north became owners of Nigeria because of the lopsided political structure of 20 states in northern region but only 17 states in two southern regions.

The Buharis can do anything, including abomination, in Nigeria, yet no retributive consequences.

2 Likes

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by Nobody: 8:08pm On Aug 21, 2019
wirinet:

Section 318(1) defines and provides thus:

“(a) a secondary school Certificate or its equivalent, or Grade II Teacher’s Certificate, The City and Guilds Certificate; or (b) education up to secondary school certificate level; or (c) Primary Six School Leaving Certificate or its equivalent and – (i) service in the public or private sector in the Federation in any capacity acceptable to the Independent National Electoral Commission (“INEC”) for a minimum of ten years, and (ii) attendance at courses and training in such institutions as may be acceptable to the Independent National Electoral Commission for a period totaling up to a minimum of one year, and (iii) the ability to read, write and communicate in the English Language to the satisfaction of the Independent National Electoral Commission; and (d) any other qualification acceptable by the Independent National Electoral Commission;”

It is evident from the above definition section of the Constitution that the meaning of “school leaving certificate or its equivalent”, for the purpose of section 131(d), is a lot more flexible and accommodating than the popular view.

You're totally missing the point. The issue is not what suffices for a "school certificate" or its equivalent." The issue here and my article is about Buhari's refusal to produce the documentation that shows he satisfies that section of the "Constitutional Requirement." So, your reference to section 318(1) of the Constitution that states what can substitute for section131(d) is honestly a moot point. The reason being that substitutes for "school certificate" as you enumerated above are not in question or being debated.

1 Like

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by Amah70: 8:12pm On Aug 21, 2019
bewla:
Thank u Mr President for opening my eyes

now I no I can contest for any position

big or small

with my furniture certificate that my oga give me

after all na some thing

what matters is my ability, mentality,and honesty
plus jagaban as my god father
Na lie.

A certificate is the only thing that can make INEC agree with you that you are educated to required level to contest any relation. Nothing else.

Unless Nigeria's judges now want to use this Buhari's case to kill Western education finally in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by LZAA: 8:17pm On Aug 21, 2019
undecided

1 Like

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by bewla(m): 8:17pm On Aug 21, 2019
Amah70:

Na lie.

A certificate is the only thing that can make INEC agree with you that you are educated to required level to contest any relation. Nothing else.

Unless Nigeria's judges now want to use this Buhari's case to kill Western education finally in Nigeria.
Go and tell Mr President where and when was it maid conpostry he must present One
Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by wirinet(m): 8:34pm On Aug 21, 2019
MaNyEsq:

You're totally missing the point. The issue is not what suffices for a "school certificate" or its equivalent." The issue here and my article is about Buhari's refusal to produce the documentation that shows he satisfies that section of the "Constitutional Requirement." So, your reference to section 318(1) of the Constitution that states what can substitute for section131(d) is honestly a moot point. The reason being that substitutes for "school certificate" as you enumerated above are not in question or being debated.

Believe me, the certificate issue is a non starter and just a waste of judicial time.
If you read between the lines, the constitution makes no provision for any specific educational qualification to be President, it did not even specify the submission of any certificate to qualify for the office of the president. It left the educational qualification to the discretion of INEC with the following;
"(d) any other qualification acceptable by the Independent National Electoral Commission;”

This means once INEC says it is satisfied with any qualification you say you have, case closed.

The school certificate requirements is cleverly worded;
"(d) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent."
What exactly is secondary school certificate level ? Is an adeleke that sat for WAEC and scored F9 educated up to secondary school level? What of someone that finished class 5 or 6 as it is now and never sat for the exams. We are not even talking about the nebulous "or its equivalent" yet, which is solely determined by INEC.

The writers of the constitution did not want to say, the president requires no educational qualification.

1 Like

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by KidsNEXTdoor: 8:35pm On Aug 21, 2019
Jchi9876:

They hate who I love so I hate them back

By the way I am an Igbo man from Orlu

Bloody afonja Muslims everywhere
Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by Educonomist: 8:36pm On Aug 21, 2019
Imagine a country where SSCE certificate is among d least requirements to have for the office of a President...

Nigeria my country

1 Like

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by wirinet(m): 8:45pm On Aug 21, 2019
Educonomist:
Imagine a country where SSCE certificate is among d least requirements to have for the office of a President...

Nigeria my country
SSCE is not the least requirement. You could become president with a Primary Six School Leaving Certificate or its equivalent , you could even become president without even a Primary Six School Leaving Certificate , but with any other qualification acceptable by the Independent National Electoral Commission - maybe carpenter or herders certificate.

3 Likes

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by Amah70: 8:48pm On Aug 21, 2019
bewla:
Go and tell Mr President where and when was it maid conpostry he must present One

Go and tell the judges how they can know how one is educated up to O'Level as required by Law if not by one tendering one's O'Level certificate.

3 Likes

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by IgweBUIKE1(m): 8:55pm On Aug 21, 2019
Jchi9876:

They hate who I love so I hate them back
By the way I am an Igbo man from Orlu
my mama talk say I be ibo

1 Like

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by Teacher1776(m): 8:56pm On Aug 21, 2019
Jayslicky:
On the left side of your brain there is nothing right and on the right side of your brain there is nothing left.
SAVAGE

1 Like

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by IgweBUIKE1(m): 9:02pm On Aug 21, 2019
post=81472611:
Wailers, continue asking for his WAEC certificate......

Brigadier-General Muhammadu Buhari with the Commandant of the United States Army War College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, Major-General DeWitt C. Smith, on completion of his Masters degree in Strategic Studies, class of 1980.

Happy viewing and don't forget to wail as you view biko! tongue

Many of your first borns were not even born when Daddy got his master degree.
See these late 90's kids arguing online.

Wetin Musa no go see for gate!
is so disheartening to see a grown man washing his dirty linen outside ....bro no offence buh you need a brain format...so the garbage in the brain can be flush out ....I wonder if it's loyalty or you're just living in delusion

2 Likes

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 21, 2019
wirinet:

Believe me, the certificate issue is a non starter and just a waste of judicial time.
If you read between the lines, the constitution makes no provision for any specific educational qualification to be President, it did not even specify the submission of any certificate to qualify for the office of the president. It left the educational qualification to the discretion of INEC with the following;
"(d) any other qualification acceptable by the Independent National Electoral Commission;”

This means once INEC says it is satisfied with any qualification you say you have, case closed.

"(d) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent."
What exactly is secondary school certificate level ? Is an adeleke that sat for WAEC and scored F9 educated up to secondary school level? What of someone that finished class 5 or 6 as it is now and never sat for the exams. We are not even talking about the nebulous "or its equivalent" yet, which is solely determined by INEC.

The writers of the constitution did not want to say, the president requires no educational qualification.

I still do not see your point of contention. The Nigerian Constitution states the requirements to be met for any person running for President. Assuming arguendo, that of two candidates running for the office, one is alleged to not have met all of the requirements -ie not satisfying the educational requirement to be precise. Then the candidates go before a Tribunal that has to make a decision on the outcome of the election. And the candidate who did not meet the educational requirements tells the Tribunal that the Constitution does not require him to produce any evidence to show that he satisfied the requirements. That is the question before the Tribunal and nothing more. Based on what the Constitution stipulates and as a Law Scholar who is well versed in reading and interpreting statutes, Buhari MUST show that he fulfilled the requirement as at the time he ran for president albeit with a certificate or anything including things that falls within section 318(1). Whether the evidence that he presents is enough to satisfy section 318(1) is another issue. But first and foremost, he must show that that section131(d) of the requirement is checked off before you get to the next question if any...no ifs or buts about it. So, for him to say that the Constitution does not require him to produce his certificate or something that satisfies that requirement is false.

2 Likes

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by degamemaster(m): 9:14pm On Aug 21, 2019
aolawale025:
He's really disconnected with reality

Buhari has completely run mad

1 Like

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by OlawaleBammie: 9:21pm On Aug 21, 2019
bewla:
Thank u Mr President for opening my eyes

now I no I can contest for any position
big or small

with my furniture certificate that my oga give me
after all na some thing
what matters is my ability, mentality,and honesty plus jagaban as my god father
grin abeg no kill me for here oo

2 Likes

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by Amah70: 9:30pm On Aug 21, 2019
wirinet:

You said any other qualification accepted by INEC.

A basic O Level certificate is required before any other superior certificate is adjudged valid.

Any other education adjudged to be equivalent to O Level must have a certificate to convince the Judges that the owner of the certificate truly got the required education before the certificate.

1 Like

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by delishpot: 9:32pm On Aug 21, 2019
grin grin grin

I love Nigeria
Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by tuniski: 9:47pm On Aug 21, 2019
post=81472611:
Wailers, continue asking for his WAEC certificate......

Brigadier-General Muhammadu Buhari with the Commandant of the United States Army War College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, Major-General DeWitt C. Smith, on completion of his Masters degree in Strategic Studies, class of 1980.

Happy viewing and don't forget to wail as you view biko! tongue

Many of your first borns were not even born when Daddy got his master degree.
See these late 90's kids arguing online.

Wetin Musa no go see for gate!
Only buharideens reason like this. Weldone, so where is the master degree. Cert?

2 Likes

Re: “No Law Requires Me To Produce My Certificate” - Buhari To Tribunal by tuniski: 9:49pm On Aug 21, 2019
Amah70:

You said any other qualification accepted by INEC.

A basic O Level certificate is required before any other superior certificate is adjudged valid.

Any other certificate adjudged to be equivalent to O Level must have a certificate to convince the Judges that the owner of the certificate truly got the required education before the certificate.
Buhari never claimed any other equivalent. Qualification neither did he attach prove of such.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Court Restrains DSS, Malami From Arresting Sunday Igboho / 2023: Nigeria Is Not For Sale - Osinbajo Support Group To Tinubu / Ken Nnamani Picks N100m Nomination Forms For President (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.