Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,361 members, 7,812,024 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others (32868 Views)

Buhari Heads To Senegal Amidst Multiple Terror Attacks / Enugu Raises Alarm Over Illegal Connection Of Establishments' Electricity Line / Demolished Works Layout Property Was Erected Under Electricity Line – ECTDA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by PetroDollax: 5:03pm On Aug 24, 2019
Ghana has excess electricity. It doesn’t need to buy power from any country.
pxjosh:
But Senegal/Ghana are the ones they plan to sell to, not Benin and Mali.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by showafrica(m): 5:11pm On Aug 24, 2019
nicepoker101:
If that is not done
Other countries along the river Niger. Might dam the river and this will worsen the situation in Nigeria.

Are you alright? Let them dam it let us buy from them and have stable electricity. We have been daming it for 60 yrs yet, nothing to show and you want us to continue. Nigeria needs screening, a lot mad people dey here from top to bottom.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by showafrica(m): 5:20pm On Aug 24, 2019
damosade:

Thumbs up to you. Most of these people on nairaland does not even know how electricity business is been run. Do you know how many homes still owing distribution station money not to talk of government and agencies that don't pay at all. Is better to give those countries and get ROI than to distribute locally without and or meagre income. It is also better to feed them than to allow them build on the same river channel as we have. For exampe ,if Niger republic dam river Niger up there, there won't be enough pressure to run turbine at our own dam down here.

God why do we reason like this? You want to continue doing the same thing. ROI my foot, you never chop u dey talk of ROI. Let them dam it let us buy from them and have stable electricity abeg. I am just thinking of a catalyst that can speed of evolution in Nigeria. Our low brains are second to none
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by pacificom: 5:23pm On Aug 24, 2019
Waakanda:
When your own citizens are still suffering from epileptic power supply undecided... Is that not stupidity?

For your CV, Cover Letter, LinkedIn Profile and Statement of Purpose/Motivation Letter (for Masters Degree abroad) Samples/Rewrite, visit: exceptional cv.com

No ! It is not stupidity, its call madness.
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by Yankee101: 5:27pm On Aug 24, 2019
And it's directed at fulani populated areas in West Africa.

Is this paying for something like election rigging and supply of herdsmen?
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by Legendguru: 5:34pm On Aug 24, 2019
hmmm
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by MondayOsunbor(m): 5:34pm On Aug 24, 2019
daddytime:
Lol

See person wey no reach ONE full thing dey beg say make dem divide am into two.

Very funny situation.

Big Brother Naija wan use laff kill person here for this next level...

For more rib cracking jokes text Mohammed Gur Usman' to 131
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by LisTim(m): 5:36pm On Aug 24, 2019
Clueless leader

Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by Nobody: 5:42pm On Aug 24, 2019
DenreleDave:

Pls explain again ma..I'm enjoying u
Local cycle
Genco(dams by private operators ) to TCN(FG) to discos.(private operators?

West africa cycle

Genco(dams) to naimey niger bamako to ghana to burkina faso etc.

Discos reject light because if they get 4m dols worth of light na 3m dols worth dem go see from customers( non payment, illegal tappings etc). So gencos have customers in west africa ( government, mines , etc) that will pay asap. So no blame them
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by Nobody: 5:44pm On Aug 24, 2019
Toks2008:

Insightful.

Thanks
UWC. That is the issue with Nigeria we don't have information to many things but we chose to pass false judgement. The discos should be scrapped as they have failed or are failing. But will most nigerians pay light if given No. Even fuel is more expensive in benin rep than nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by Caseless: 5:51pm On Aug 24, 2019
Tina26:
I worked at kanji during my IT let me explain . Our dam is on river niger, to stop other countries along same river building their dam on same river we have to sell them light . Ivory coast benin ghana etc we sell to pay in dollars and quickly unlike in 9ja where there is billing and payment issues.
brilliant.
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by RTSC2: 5:56pm On Aug 24, 2019
Cutealexio:
You're right Bro, but Hydro power shouldn't be the only way we generate our electricity. We are blessed with so many options for electricity generation but I really don't know what the problem is. 70% of China's electricity generation is from coal which we have in abundant in the Eastern part of Nigeria of about 2 billion metric tons in reserve, we also have gas that is been flared everyday in the South South. No country relies on a single way to generate electricity. How long are we going to rely on river Niger? If any of those countries decides to build their dam today there's nothing Nigeria can do about it and that is the end of Kanji dam
We will go to war with them if they attempt to build a dam.
But it is sad though that Nigeria is not power diversified.
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by windhunter(m): 6:01pm On Aug 24, 2019
We are not generating enough electricity to cater for our needs and the government is talking about giving to other countries. Does that make sense?
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by bigfrancis21: 6:08pm On Aug 24, 2019
daddytime:
Lol

See person wey no reach ONE full thing dey beg say make dem divide am into two.

Very funny situation.

Big Brother Naija wan use laff kill person here for this next level...

Onye na-eluro ofu mbe, o si si bee ya mbe naabo....popular Onitsha saying. Seems you're from Onitsha?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by Emmanuelcann: 6:08pm On Aug 24, 2019
[quote author=PureFace1 post=81557704]Electricity: The Federal Government, Wednesday, disclosed that it was building power transmission line to link up some countries in the West African sub-region.

Speaking in Abuja at the 2019 participants/key stakeholders interactive forum organised by the Market Operator, the Managing Director of Transmission Company of Nigeria, TCN, Mr. Mohammed Gur Usman, stated that the project will take a 330KV electricity transmission line right from Nigeria up to Senegal.

He said, “In the whole of West Africa we are the only one that has the experience of 330KV but now 330 KV will run from Nigeria unto Senegal.

“Let me be precise, we are going to have a 330KV that will run from Shiroro to, to Parakou, Parakou to Northern Togo, Northern Ghana to Cote deviore.

“Another one will come from Northern Ghana to Senegal to Guinea-Bissau, to Mali to Burkina Faso and it will join Ghana. This is the study that we have launched.”

To this ends, Usman charged the major stakeholders in the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry, NESI, especially, the Market Operator, MO, to be ready to assume the task of regional player in the sector.

He said, “As the Chairman of West Africa Pool, WAP, I made the WAP to draft, the directives which was approved on the 22nd of May and 22nd of December, 2018.

“That is the written of ECOWAS Head of State and Government of 22nf of December 2018. They approved that three directives and what are those directives that we forwarded to ECOWAS for approval are:

“First, All utilities in West Africa must have their revenue requirement. The second directive is that countries that elect not to give the requirement, they should budget for it in a transparent manner.

“This means that if the utilities do not have their course reflective tariff then the countries should budget for it in a transparent manner that is they should provide for it in their national budget.

“We did not stop there, we said that all utilities in west Africa should conduct themselves in such a way that they should do their procurement in a transparent manner- meaning they should adapt competitive procurement of their services and their goods because if we have the budget and we have the money and we apply it in an inefficient manner, it means that cost of energy will soon go up.

“In reality, if it is truly a market is driven by rules and regulation and people have to comply with the rules and there has to be sanction for performance and there has to be a reward of non-performance and a reward for extraordinary performance.

“If a market is existing in such a way that everybody does not performance and can get away with it, there is no way that that market can grow or perform.”

According to him, “TCN may probably cease to exist very soon and then you will have TSP and ISO, ISO will be the one that will be operating the market operator under ISO and everything that I have to do for that transition to take place, I have been doing it daily. Every day I have been doing those things that would lead to those organizations to separate.

“Because we have not applied the market position in our market tenders, in solar, you cannot say that Nigeria has comparative advantage but, in terms of normal generation that would be done by gas and hydro.

“Nigeria still has comparative advantage across West Africa. Which means there is a demand for electricity from here to the rest of West Africa? What we are doing is to enable that happen. To enable that happen, we are going to build a transition line across West Africa so that we can export energy from here to the rest of Africa.

“I am happy to tell you that the design consultancy and the environmental study for the medium backbone were launched

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2019/08/fg-to-extend-electricity-line-to-senegal-ghana-others/amp/

[/ grin grin grin]
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by YahwehRocks: 6:11pm On Aug 24, 2019
This is what prompts protests and revolution calls.

Your citizens lack electricity, yet you sell it to other countries, share and pocket the proceeds at the detriment national growth and inconvenience of the people. Absolute disregard for the citizenry.

Grand thievery
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by omohlexy: 6:21pm On Aug 24, 2019
Nice move! We need to generate revenue from all angles. We can't keep depending on oil. We are indeed the giant of Africa.
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by Chijiokeken: 6:22pm On Aug 24, 2019
PureFace1:
Electricity: The Federal Government, Wednesday, disclosed that it was building power transmission line to link up some countries in the West African sub-region.

Speaking in Abuja at the 2019 participants/key stakeholders interactive forum organised by the Market Operator, the Managing Director of Transmission Company of Nigeria, TCN, Mr. Mohammed Gur Usman, stated that the project will take a 330KV electricity transmission line right from Nigeria up to Senegal.

He said, “In the whole of West Africa we are the only one that has the experience of 330KV but now 330 KV will run from Nigeria unto Senegal.

“Let me be precise, we are going to have a 330KV that will run from Shiroro to, to Parakou, Parakou to Northern Togo, Northern Ghana to Cote deviore.

“Another one will come from Northern Ghana to Senegal to Guinea-Bissau, to Mali to Burkina Faso and it will join Ghana. This is the study that we have launched.”

To this ends, Usman charged the major stakeholders in the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry, NESI, especially, the Market Operator, MO, to be ready to assume the task of regional player in the sector.

He said, “As the Chairman of West Africa Pool, WAP, I made the WAP to draft, the directives which was approved on the 22nd of May and 22nd of December, 2018.

“That is the written of ECOWAS Head of State and Government of 22nf of December 2018. They approved that three directives and what are those directives that we forwarded to ECOWAS for approval are:

“First, All utilities in West Africa must have their revenue requirement. The second directive is that countries that elect not to give the requirement, they should budget for it in a transparent manner.

“This means that if the utilities do not have their course reflective tariff then the countries should budget for it in a transparent manner that is they should provide for it in their national budget.

“We did not stop there, we said that all utilities in west Africa should conduct themselves in such a way that they should do their procurement in a transparent manner- meaning they should adapt competitive procurement of their services and their goods because if we have the budget and we have the money and we apply it in an inefficient manner, it means that cost of energy will soon go up.

“In reality, if it is truly a market is driven by rules and regulation and people have to comply with the rules and there has to be sanction for performance and there has to be a reward of non-performance and a reward for extraordinary performance.

“If a market is existing in such a way that everybody does not performance and can get away with it, there is no way that that market can grow or perform.”

According to him, “TCN may probably cease to exist very soon and then you will have TSP and ISO, ISO will be the one that will be operating the market operator under ISO and everything that I have to do for that transition to take place, I have been doing it daily. Every day I have been doing those things that would lead to those organizations to separate.

“Because we have not applied the market position in our market tenders, in solar, you cannot say that Nigeria has comparative advantage but, in terms of normal generation that would be done by gas and hydro.

“Nigeria still has comparative advantage across West Africa. Which means there is a demand for electricity from here to the rest of West Africa? What we are doing is to enable that happen. To enable that happen, we are going to build a transition line across West Africa so that we can export energy from here to the rest of Africa.

“I am happy to tell you that the design consultancy and the environmental study for the medium backbone were launched

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2019/08/fg-to-extend-electricity-line-to-senegal-ghana-others/amp/

Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by Mazigabriel(m): 6:28pm On Aug 24, 2019
Nobodyperson:
This government absolutely confused.
How can we be helping other countries with electricity when Nigeria Is ranked the 2nd worse country in terms of power supply.

Misplaced priorities
Our country is very wonderful.starting from weather to citizens to government
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by Duggedised12(f): 6:29pm On Aug 24, 2019
For two straight weeks now we have not had light in my area. undecided
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by speaktome(m): 6:35pm On Aug 24, 2019
This is very pathetic
PureWhite:

You will be surprise that they have it but just being wicked

I was to run a printing job in PH and in the course of my discussion with the receptionist she told me that they will use PHEDC power because whenever they have plenty job they will call the PHEDC office and they will supply them light but that they will pay for it specially, whereas the area is always without power.
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by bizhop01: 6:35pm On Aug 24, 2019
Don't be surprise about what's will happen later, remember nigeria drill crude oil, sale it out and buy it back after refined.
I love nigeria government so much the can generate over 15000MW of power, sale it out and advise citizens to go charge phone for Ghana and Senegal.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by mojounited(m): 6:36pm On Aug 24, 2019
Few insightful posts from knowledgeable folks, many emotional outbursts due to frustrations and insincerity from those at the helm of affairs.

Our Discos with their old facilities (achiac distribution lines and substations) are unable to fully handle and distibute, at full capacity, the total Total Power Output generated by Gencos and Transmitted by TCN (Heck, I'm not even sure if our Transmission Lines are capable of handling up to 8GW = 8,000MW of Power).

Also, due to debts, theft, vandalism, etc Discos are unable to buy the lot of power generated by Gencos (a company set up / acquired to make profit), so these Gencos have to source for other customers to consume what is generated since such power can't be stored but only wasted.

Solution:

1. Determine the full and total capacity of power generated

2. Ensure to expand our transmission lines and make it robust enough to handle and transmit 95% of power generated in order to curb wastage.

3a. Invest massively on Distribution Infrastructure; Build more substations and revamp the 33KV/11KV/415V lines where necessary, ensure transformers designated to streets/localities are capable to handle loads at peak period. Power theft is possible at distribution level (415/220V), so do more to distribute prepared meters to curb debts/thefts. Create awareness and offer incentives for those who install prepaid meters (free meters, free installation and maybe 5,000 naira worth of units for new customers - just like you have for mobile network operators). It may not be enough, but I'm sure some points here will help

Engage bright minds in R&grin and I'm sure more practicable solutions will pop up.

The FG needs to compel these Gencos to do more but it's tough when you do business and not wreck in profits
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by uchennaq(m): 7:13pm On Aug 24, 2019
Tina26:
I worked at kanji during my IT let me explain . Our dam is on river niger, to stop other countries along same river building their dam on same river we have to sell them light . Ivory coast benin ghana etc we sell to pay in dollars and quickly unlike in 9ja where there is billing and payment issues.
People that are liking this need to receive sense. We know about this your lecture, the ultimate question is what has you govt done to improve electricity here

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by Saxifrage12(m): 7:30pm On Aug 24, 2019
For your website/hosting

Call/WhatsApp 08134366408
@affordable price
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by Jossibest(m): 7:40pm On Aug 24, 2019
You cant not feed yours self talkless of another person
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by baldwin84(m): 7:41pm On Aug 24, 2019
Tina26:

God bless u for d simple explanation u just gave about Nigeria giving light to other west African countries. I always thought nija dey craze for giving wetin dem no get....
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by ken6488(m): 7:54pm On Aug 24, 2019
angry I just weak
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by ChineduPeters(m): 8:16pm On Aug 24, 2019
Yabashi......ndi ela
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by okeniti: 8:27pm On Aug 24, 2019
Misplaced priorities.
Re: Nigeria To Extend Electricity Line To Senegal, Ghana, Others by Jamersirwin1971: 9:01pm On Aug 24, 2019
Tina26:

Ghana has their own dam, and don’t depend on Nigeria .. make una stop all this wrong information that Nigeria sell to Ghana .. up till now ghana dam is controlled by an American company every three years they renew contract with them . The last 10 years had a change in contract from a company to another just few months ago . Go to google and read more . They call their dam Akosombo Dam

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2023: Oshiomhole Declares For Senate / IPOB Members Arrested At Abuja Federal High Court / Why I Don't Attend Council Of States Meeting With President Buhari – Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.