Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,863 members, 7,824,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost (37530 Views)

Abia Isolation Centres In Poor State – Resident Doctors / The Moment A Couple Lost Their Child In A Government-Owned Hospital / FMC Umuahia First Kidney Transplant Surgery Was Successful (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by Iamgrey5(m): 1:39pm On Aug 25, 2019
University of Ibadan is second most expensive but probably the most familiar with the procedure.

According to op's report, they carried out their first in 2008 and carry out Five yearly.

Good to know it is done in Nigeria anyways.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by teebaxy(m): 1:39pm On Aug 25, 2019
dust144:
How much can I sell one of my own?
100 k if you don't smoke

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by DesChyko: 1:39pm On Aug 25, 2019
4.5 million naira in a country where the minimum wage is allegedly #30,000 (unconfirmed reports) cheesy cheesy
A failed kidney then should be one of the 1000 ways to die in Nigeria o

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by Drake2021: 1:44pm On Aug 25, 2019
Jaymaxxy:
There is no need travelling to India, Dubai, the UK and the USA for kidney transplant anymore as there are now government owned kidney transplant centres spread across Nigeria with competent manpower and up-to-date facilities. Morever, why travel abroad when you can get a renal transplant done here at a cheaper rate with good outcome plus support from family and friends?

Below are are list of government own kidney transplant centres in Nigeria:

1. LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL (LASUTH)
Had performed a total of 5 kidney transplant so far. Had a second successful transplant on a 41-year-old policeman in 2016. The donor was his 42 year old brother. Both the recipient and the donor survived the surgery.

Cost: Announcing the surgery to newsmen, chief Medical Director of the hospital said the kidney transplant cost 4.5 million Naira.

2. Federal Medical Centre, Umuahia
Reputed to have performed the first kidney transplant in South-Eastern Nigeria.The first patient to receive a new kidney was a 37-year-old businessman, Mr. Oji Ogbonanya Ule, who had been battling with kidney problem for four years. His new kidney was donated by his 58-year-old uncle who is a civil servant.

Cost: They reportedly paid #5.5 million Naira for this procedure.

3. Lagos University Teaching Hospital
In 2011, a thirty eight-year-old woman was the recipient of the first successful kidney transplantation surgery at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital. Since then, they have carried out series of successful renal transplant.

Cost of renal transplant in LUTH is #8 million Naira.

4. University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital
Nigeria’s first kidney transplant was conducted on 31-year-old Suleiman Usman in Sept. 2010 by the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH), in collaboration with the Bayero University Teaching Hospital, Kano and the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.

The kidney was donated by his brother, Abubakar Usman at the university Kidney Centre.

Cost: #5 million.

5. Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital

Has performed the highest number of kidney transplants in Nigeria. The OAUTH, Ile-Ife, was the first teaching hospital in Nigeria to carry out an indigenous kidney transplant in June, 2002. According to the Chief Medical Director, the hospital has performed a total of 15 kidney transplants and over 70 open heart surgeries with no complications. They recently acquired modern facilities to enhance patient care.

Cost: With 6.5 million Naira, you can have a successful renal transplant in OAUTH.

6. Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital
The most successful of the government owned kidney transplant centres in Nigeria with 19 recorded successful transplants.

Cost of renal transplant Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital is 5.5 million including drugs.

7. Delta University Teaching Hospital (DELSUTH)
It was reported on Premium Times that DELSUTH performed their first successful kidney transplant in 2014. However, they have not been consistent with the renal transplant programme as there have been an interlude of 5 years now. Anyway, dialysis in this centre is highly subsidized by the state government for indigenes.

DELSUTH conducted their first renal transplant for #6 million Naira.

8. University College Hospital, Ibadan
University College Hospital is one of the oldest kidney transplant centres in Nigeria. Had their first successful renal transplant in 2008 and have been consistent ever since averaging about 5 transplants every year.

Cost of renal transplant in UCH is #7.5 million Naira plus drugs.

9. University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu
Located in Nssuka, Enugu. The University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (UNTH) performed their first successful kidney transplant in 2018 and has been consistent ever since.

The cost of renal transplant in UNTH is #3.5 million Naira including 6 months immunosuppressive drugs.

10. Uthman Danfodio University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto
Had plans underway to perform their first renal transplant in 2016 but has not really kicked started. The plans are still underway.

We need more kidney transplant centres in Nigeria to cater for the health of teeming Nigerians with kidney diseases.

https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/05/23/kidney-transplant-centres-in-nigeria/?amp

Believe this story u will believe anything. Much as I greatly wish it's true, am saying it from hindsight that it's a lie. Let the writer come up statistic and figure of success, and not mere wishful thinking. Buying and building the infrastructure is one having the manpower to carry out the operation is another

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by kunmiiii: 1:44pm On Aug 25, 2019
Skelewu:
Wow. I never knew kidney transplant was possible in any Nigerian hospital. With the way people rush to India for kidney transplant you'd think there's no qualified urological surgeon in Nigeria.

But then again, it remains to be seen how successful they are in the long run. I mean out of all the transplants carried out in all the listed Nigerian hospitals over the years how many of the patients did not suffer a relapse.
Ralapse from a successful kidney transplant is not possible, unless the kidney failure was initially caused by a metabolic disorder or immune disease, it may appear easily again after kidney transplant which is totally out of the doctor's control.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by Michdear(f): 1:44pm On Aug 25, 2019
Where did you put Ondo state medical village (Unimed) teaching hospital in Ondo City

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by mvem(m): 1:47pm On Aug 25, 2019
KingAzubuike:
Allow a Nigerian doctor to operate on you at your own peril. I'd rather save up and travel out of the country to do such surgery than risking my life with a Nigerian trained doctor.
do you know how many Nigerian trained doctors are overseas...and are doing very well there

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by Mizwisdom(f): 1:48pm On Aug 25, 2019
Drake2021:

Believe this story u will believe anything. Much as I greatly wish it's true, am saying it from hindsight that it's a lie. Let the writer come up statistic and figure of success, and not mere wishful thinking. Buying and building the infrastructure is one having the manpower to carry out the operation is another

See them, sadist sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by kunmiiii: 1:49pm On Aug 25, 2019
Drake2021:

No, you're actually saying this from an extremely ignorant point of view, great medical feats that seem like miracles are performed everyday in Nigeria by our doctors, don't sell them short because of your inability to broaden your knowledge about the daily exploits and accomplishments they are capable of.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by Hotzone(m): 1:49pm On Aug 25, 2019
Liver transplant nko?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by Originalsly: 1:49pm On Aug 25, 2019
Nice to know they have the centers... but who was first to do this and first to do that.... and who did more seem to be wayyy more important that how successful were the transplants. The numbers are enough to scare me..... LUTH... 5?...since 2016?....and boasting of two being successful? That's really awesome... as someone earlier thinks is very impressive. To me... this report is scary.
Prevention is better than cure.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by IYANGBALI: 1:50pm On Aug 25, 2019
This cheerful news go dey make kidney hungry some people now

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by gr8tone: 1:50pm On Aug 25, 2019
classicalbenson:
wow..this kidney business is lucrative
You think kidneys are grown on trees right?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by ivolt: 1:50pm On Aug 25, 2019
KingAzubuike:
Allow a Nigerian doctor to operate on you at your own peril. I'd rather save up and travel out of the country to do such surgery than risking my life with a Nigerian trained doctor.

Drake2021:

Can any of you guys come up with statistics and figures about those foreign hospitals?
We know you don't care about statistics and facts and figures, it is all about inferiority and
excessive love of foreign taste.

SMH

It is the same reason why some Nigerians travel to Libya to become modern day slaves.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by docadams: 1:53pm On Aug 25, 2019
UNTH is in Otuku-Ozzalla, Enugu not Nsukka
The DELSUTH renal transplant program was anchored on diasporan medical personnel and allied staff hence it could not self sustain.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by nasirujj(m): 1:56pm On Aug 25, 2019
Why 6million even though the kidney was donated, doctors are more corrupt than politicians, just simple operation they are calling this amount. Even to dismantle Boeing 737 engine will not cost that amount.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by nasirujj(m): 1:57pm On Aug 25, 2019
What's the price for kidney.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by Teejayphillip(m): 2:02pm On Aug 25, 2019
emmasege:
just the way your president patronises Nigerian hospital or doctors?

If Buhari couldn't treat ordinary ear infection in the Aso Rock clinic which is voted billions of naira every year, no privileged Nigerian should risk his or her life or that of his family members in any of those hospitals except if he can't afford the bill overseas.

But I said no one should quote me nah..... No let us fight oo grin grin

It’s just my own suggestion

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by kjsun15: 2:04pm On Aug 25, 2019
Hallelujah.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by Originalsly: 2:07pm On Aug 25, 2019
nasirujj:

Why 6million even though the kidney was donated, doctors are more corrupt than politicians, just simple operation they are calling this amount. Even to dismantle Boeing 737 engine will not cost that amount.

I myself wonder why this ehmmm.... simple.operation costs soo much.... all they have to do is cut the person... find the kidneys... unplug the blood vessels and other tubes....put in the replacement kidneys... plug in the tubes... stitch up... and the person is good to go......just like changing car engine
6 million Naira is wayyyy too much. [s]How much did you pay for your road kill brain replacement?[/s]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by Asquare84(m): 2:08pm On Aug 25, 2019
Nigerians will still be rushing to india, we don't believe in ourselves

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by Sharafawizkidayo(m): 2:08pm On Aug 25, 2019
Lexusgs430:

The abroad you travel to....... High possibility the surgery would be conducted by a Nigerian Dr........ grin
u just said the word out of my mouth.. thanks bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by kophy(m): 2:09pm On Aug 25, 2019
fixedhollies:
Make God no allow us need another one
Amen, ooo even if the cost na #10, 000. I no want, and I will not need one by his grace, that is why I am conscious of what I put in my stomach and I also pray for God ultimate protection. For those for one reason or the other find themselves in that situation I pray God the greatest healer to heal them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by ehissi(m): 2:11pm On Aug 25, 2019
KingAzubuike:

Zenith Hospital in Abuja as well of Saint Nicholas hospital lagos will do an equally good job for #12million. Both are private and typically invite a foreign consultant to oversee the procedure from either, India, china or UK....

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by nasirujj(m): 2:13pm On Aug 25, 2019
Originalsly:

I myself wonder why this ehmmm.... simple.operation costs soo much.... all they have to do is cut the person... find the kidneys... unplug the blood vessels and other tubes....put in the replacement kidneys... plug in the tubes... stitch up... and the person is good to go......just like changing car engine
6 million Naira is wayyyy too much. [s]How much did you pay for your road kill brain replacement?[/s]

And the worse part is. They are going to use same equipment to treatment another person.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by Lexusgs430: 2:14pm On Aug 25, 2019
Sharafawizkidayo:
u just said the word out of my mouth.. thanks bro

The truth be told..... The main problem with Doctors in Nigeria is not the Doctors, but the system and lack of investments in the health sector.......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by Originalsly: 2:17pm On Aug 25, 2019
kunmiiii:

Ralapse from a successful kidney transplant is not possible, unless the kidney failure was initially caused by a metabolic disorder or immune disease, it may appear easily again after kidney transplant which is totally out of the doctor's control.

Never thought of a transplanted kidney going bad.... but even if... would be thinking the kidney was bad in the first place. Good to know. Transplant is one journey....... a trip ....but the follow up to suppress rejection is a journey.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by theNOISEmaker: 2:18pm On Aug 25, 2019
Yusfunoble:
Poor man with poor man problem.
Rich man with their type of problem.

I thank God for life, and good health.
i dey telk you.. No be small thing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by Originalsly: 2:20pm On Aug 25, 2019
nasirujj:

And the worse part is. They are going to use same equipment to treatment another person

Ah ah?...should they throw.away the equipment?? Is just about making sure the equipment is sterilized.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by George2164(m): 2:26pm On Aug 25, 2019
KingAzubuike:
...when it comes to intellectual capacity in the medical field, Nigerian Doctors are beating the record with outstanding achievements. The issue we are having is poor funding via procurement of equipment...
Before you say such try to know the mortality rate in surgeries by Nigerian doctors..
Be proud of your people and our product.. That is a classical sign that you are a disciple of improvement and betterment of the country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by EdiAbali: 2:27pm On Aug 25, 2019
KingAzubuike:

Nigerians are doing good at this,
When you go out you will probably meet Nigerian doctors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government owned Kidney transplant centres in Nigeria including cost by churchee: 2:28pm On Aug 25, 2019
domack99:

pray is good but we also need to take proactive step in ensuring we don't require one in the first instance. Chronic Kidney Disease mostly don't have early symptoms until end stage renal failure.

Anual regualr diagnosing of the internal organ is a key. This can help in early detection which can trigger slow down process or further damage and in some cases cure.

I have been to hospital like 20 times; once to get medical certificate (Unity College) and the other 19 times to visit the sick as a member of Legion of Mary; all as a teenager.
I am unbeknownst of hospital procedures, one of the reasons I can't even go for that check up you suggested. Do I just enter a hospital, open folder and locate a doctor for check ups?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

13 Symptoms That Shouldn't Be Ignored - By Lizgray / Small Animals And Insects That Cause Big And Deadly Diseases / So, Sperm Donors Are Charging N150k In Port-Harcourt, Egg Donors 400k?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.