Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration (7874 Views)

Poll: Was this punishment justified?

Yes. She should have declared the money and that's all there is to it.: 63% (30 votes)
No. She should have been warned or punished more lightly.: 36% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Sweeping Changes In Us Immigration Procedures: Law Abiding Illegals Able To Stay / What Next After US Immigration Form I130 Petition is Approved For Parent? / Us Immigration Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by Nobody: 3:43am On May 22, 2007
hbrednic:

its a pity some people can't read b/w the lines.THE WOMAN WAS CAUGHT WITH 11.8MILLION NAIRA,NAIRA NOT DOLLARS.
Rather,some people need to read outside the lines  grin grin (especially the beginning of the thread) to know that she was caught with $92,843 ,dollars not naira! tongue tongue tongue. A great mathematician converted it to naira grin grin
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by hbrednic: 5:29pm On May 22, 2007
@candy
i am sorry ur right.u gut me pants down.
still seun made some converting out there.dllrs to naira,naira to dllrs.
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by LadyTi1(f): 9:51pm On May 22, 2007
[quote][/quote]Another thing you have to consider is the direction in which the funds were coming. She was not taking the money OUT of the US, she was bringing it in. For all those who are talking about nurses making a lot of money, that might be true, but how do you explain the direction the money was going ? So what did she do ? Get paid her salary, invested it in Nigeria and then bringing it back in ? Hmm , And those who say she put in a lot of overtime etc etc , in that case, would it not be very easy for her to prove the source of the funds ? If she used all of her salary to build a house in Nigeria, and then sold the house and decided to repatriate the funds, would that not be very easy to prove ? Would she not have gone to trial to prove that ? If the funds were really her hard earned sweat, would she not FIGHT for it ?

@MSY.
Excellent point!!!!

I'm still looking out for an explanantion from those who claim nurses make alot of money, overtime, savings, blah blah blah, How could she have possibly saved all that money with 4 kids and bills to pay
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by mrmayor(m): 10:37pm On May 22, 2007
Lady-Ti:

@MSY.
Excellent point!!!!
I'm still looking out for an explanantion from those who claim nurses make alot of money, overtime, savings, blah blah blah, How could she have possibly saved all that money with 4 kids and bills to pay

Maybe she get PDP boyfriend,sorry Manfriend.
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by Nobody: 3:05am On May 23, 2007
Lady-Ti:

Another thing you have to consider is the direction in which the funds were coming. She was not taking the money OUT of the US, she was bringing it in. For all those who are talking about nurses making a lot of money, that might be true, but how do you explain the direction the money was going ? So what did she do ? Get paid her salary, invested it in Nigeria and then bringing it back in ? Hmm , And those who say she put in a lot of overtime etc etc , in that case, would it not be very easy for her to prove the source of the funds ? If she used all of her salary to build a house in Nigeria, and then sold the house and decided to repatriate the funds, would that not be very easy to prove ? Would she not have gone to trial to prove that ? If the funds were really her hard earned sweat, would she not FIGHT for it ?

@MSY.
Excellent point!!!!

I am getting sick of the same expressions too.
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by spoilt(f): 3:25am On May 23, 2007
this is just by the way but why is it so shocking to believe that nurses make a lot of money?

i manage people's portfolios and nurses make good money and they gross quite a lot annually too. grin
im amazed myself at how much these women make. just about every nigerian woman i know here has abandoned her college degree and headed for nursing. i know there's a disparity in wage levels among different states but in california, nurses get hecka paid! i kid you not. plus they get greedy with overtime and virtually sleep in the hospital. grin grin. $92,000 really doesnt seem like a lot to have. its just a lot to be carrying in cash. undecided
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by omoge(f): 3:28am On May 23, 2007
maybe sales of wheelchairs, might have gone to get her shares of the sales of ''sumthin''

well what's important here is the LESSON
cheer
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by Nobody: 3:33am On May 23, 2007
spoilt:

this is just by the way but why is it so shocking to believe that nurses make a lot of money?

i manage people's portfolios and nurses make good money and they gross quite a lot annually too. grin
im amazed myself at how much these women make. just about every nigerian woman i know here has abandoned her college degree and headed for nursing. i know there's a disparity in wage levels among different states but in california, nurses get hecka paid! i kid you not. plus they get greedy with overtime and virtually sleep in the hospital. grin grin. $92,000 really doesnt seem like a lot to have. its just a lot to be carrying in cash. undecided

Spoilt nurses get paid well,well is a relative term though.
However I don't know any Nigerian nurse that works a normal schedule.
They work on the average upwards of 60 hours a week.
When you get paid a time and a half for 40 hours in 2 weeks of course you will earn more than a a normal salary.

California has a higher pay scale,then again your houses cost 4 times the average unless the person lives in south central LA grin
Most nurses in America are married to husband who earn very little so of course she has to work tons of overtime to pay the bills hence the myth about how much they are paid.

Go the department of labor website and see the ton paid jobs in America,nursing is way down the list.
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by Nobody: 3:41am On May 23, 2007
couldn't find the dept of labor listing but I had seen it previously but check this out from wiki

Here is a reasonable top ten (and top 20) list:

Surgeons: $65.89/hr; $137,050/yr
Investment Banker: $64.42/hr; $134,000/yr (entry level)
Obstetricians and gynecologists: $64.15/hr; $133,430/yr
Anesthesiologists: $63.31/hr; $131,680/yr
Internists, general: $61.03/hr; $126,940/yr
Actuaries, certified: $57.52/hr; $119,680 (base salary only)
Pediatricians, general: $56.03/hr; $116,550/yr
Psychiatrists: $54.60/hr; $113,570/yr
Family and general practitioners: $52.89/hr; $110,020/yr
Dentists: $53.28/hr; $110,820/yr
Pharmacists: $53.00/hr; $110,240/yr
Chief Executives: $51.77/hr; $107,670/yr
Airline pilots, copilots and flight engineers: (N/A); $99,400/yr
Podiatrists: $45.43/hr; $94,500/yr
Lawyers: $44.19/hr; $91,920/yr
Optometrists: $42.35/hr; $88,100/yr
Computer and information systems managers: $40.33/hr; $83,890/yr
Physicists: $40.26/hr; $83,750/yr
Air traffic controllers: $40.07/hr; $83,350/yr
Petroleum Engineers: $39.33/hr; $81,800/yr
Nuclear Engineers: $38.56/hr; $80,200/yr
Judges, magistrate judges, and magistrates: $38.24/hr; $79,540/yr
Marketing Managers: $37.70/hr; $78,410/yr

I did not see nurses on that list!
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by spoilt(f): 3:48am On May 23, 2007
nurses only work 3 days a week in 12 hour shifts.
if you calculate their annual salary based on those numbers of course its going to be nothing fantastic.but most of them dont just sit down at home for the other 4 days in the week doing nothing. they are used to working everyday at other jobs so they work on those days too and get paid over time for it. infact the so called overtime is how they make their money. infact i heard of a nurse who shocked her tax man when she whipped out her w2 during tax filing. this owu ite filipino woman had worked $500,000 for that tax year. i almost died of shock. she must have lived in the hospital from one shift to the other. wonders will never end.
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by Nobody: 3:56am On May 23, 2007
spoilt:

nurses only work 3 days a week in 12 hour shifts.
if you calculate their annual salary based on those numbers of course its going to be nothing fantastic.but most of them don't just sit down at home for the other 4 days in the week doing nothing. they are used to working everyday at other jobs so they work on those days too and get paid over time for it. infact the so called overtime is how they make their money. infact i heard of a nurse who shocked her tax man when she whipped out her w2 during tax filing. this owu ite filipino woman had worked $500,000 for that tax year. i almost died of shock. she must have lived in the hospital from one shift to the other. wonders will never end.

How did it happen,did she add more hours to her day?
It's not all hospitals that do 12 hour shifts,some do 8.
Nurses in doctor's offices or day surgeries work a 9 to 5 shift
Naija nurses work 12 to 16 hour shifts.
Whenever an oyibo calls in sick,they can be sure there is African nurse willing to stay on for days if need be.
I agree with you,the average wage for nurses is about $25 per hour,some make more,some less.
But Naija nurses in America work and work and some either drop dead at work or go mental due to lack of rest.

Most,like you said work other jobs on their off days,do home visits,even use the vacations from their regular jobs to work with agencies.
My own cousin literally collapsed on the floor and was rushed to the ER,from overwork,thank God she survived but she has since slowed down her pace.
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by MSY: 4:58pm On May 23, 2007
when she whipped out her w2 during tax filing. this owu ite filipino woman had worked $500,000 for that tax year.

And how much exactly did she take home after taxes ? Or she didn't pay tax on that income ?

In any case, the matter at hand is not whether this Nigerian lady made $92K, could have made $92K or whether she worked overtime or not. The issue is why did she fail to declare the money she was BRINGING INTO the US ? Oh yes, i remember, it was an oversight ! That is why when she was asked how much she had on her, she responded $20,000. She forgot about the other $100K. People, this woman knew exactly what she was doing.

While we may have sympathy for her, we also have to condemn her action. We have to remember that our actions reflect on us as a people. her actions have contributed to the image of Nigerians as dishonest people, and that bothers me !
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by mrmayor(m): 8:59pm On May 23, 2007
@Spoilt,

The Filipino woman made $500,000 in a year,I don't doubt it but how did she do it?

Assuming that she worked 365 days none stop that would $1,369 a day and works out at $57hr if she worked a 24 hour day,again am not doubting it but I just wonder. Can you tell us how much Nigerian Diplomats make a year?

[b]Nigerian diplomat caught with N300m in India

By Our Reporter
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
A senior Nigerian diplomat was reportedly caught by Indian authorities on Monday as he was trying to board a flight from New Delhi to Lagos with $2.27 million (about N300 million) in cash in his possession.

advertisement

The diplomat, Defence Adviser to the Nigerian High Commissioner in India, Captain G.A. Ojedokun, was reportedly caught when Indian Airlines staff members handling baggage on the early morning shift at the Indira Gandhi International Airport were alerted by the X-ray images of the contents of his bag.

It was reported that when Ojedokun was questioned concerning their findings, he tried to deceive the airline employees.

His case was later transferred to income tax officials, who seized the money from him.

An Indian tax department spokesman, A.K. Sinha, told the Associated Press (AP) yesterday that “the diplomat did not explain where the cash came from.”

He said when the tax department seized the money and handed Ojedokun to the country’s External Affairs Ministry, he had to be released on account of the immunity he enjoyed.

“The Income Tax department seized the cash, but released the diplomat after informing the External Affairs Ministry,” Sinha said.

AP also reported the ministry as confirming the report. The ministry was quoted to have said in a statement that Ojedokun was to leave New Delhi for Lagos by an Ethiopian Airline flight yesterday.

“He disclosed that he was carrying nearly $1.5 million in his check-in baggage,” the statement was quoted to have said, adding that a search by Indian tax officials resulted in “the seizure of $2.27 million in cash from his person and baggage. [/b]

Source http://odili.net/news/source/2007/may/23/552.html
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by Nobody: 11:46pm On May 23, 2007
these nigerians again.
Why now?
why can't these folks stop giving us bad names
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by yinkolo(f): 10:29am On May 24, 2007
do me, i do you god no go ves. abeg when sinners are receiving their punishment the faithfull ones will be partakers. she might have worked had for the money, but then she broke all the rules, it makes are not clean. because i dont know why she refused to declare in the first place.
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by Rlst84sale(m): 11:23pm On May 24, 2007
Not that I'm advocating breaking of law neither am I casting first stone, however reading this thread has somehow shown most of our fellow Naija frame of mind. Everyonei s crying her sweat, hard hard earned cash. She knew what she was doing and she knew the law. Anyone doing legitimate business would not carry that kind of cash entering US there must be other part of the story yet untold. Anyone that really works for a living in the US is very careful and protective of losing their money. She knew the the current state of the law and was aware of custom and immigration stand on carrying cash over $10, 000. For you symphatizer this is not Niaja and the law was not written specifically for any ethnical group. She could have easily sent the money via a bank all this would not have happened to her. I wish well, hopefully she has more money left to get a good lawyer.
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by mrmayor(m): 11:38pm On May 24, 2007
She got a good lawyer,she plea bargained her a$$ out of jail,she got three year suspended sentence.
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by bigbumper(f): 8:18pm On May 27, 2007
spoilt:

. . . $92,000 really doesnt seem like a lot to have. its just a lot to be carrying in cash. undecided

WORD.

@BABYOSISI

Abeg, in UK when recruiters from USA and Australia come looking for nurses to poach, they often throw in perks of offer of free accommodation.

@ all

How many of y'all have used the "nothing to declare" exit considering the fact that you are only allowed to have circa £150 of duty free allowance.  He who is without sin . . .
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by Nobody: 10:26pm On May 27, 2007
big_bumper:

WORD.

@BABYOSISI

Abeg, in UK when recruiters from USA and Australia come looking for nurses to poach, they often throw in perks of offer of free accommodation.

@ all

How many of y'all have used the "nothing to declare" exit considering the fact that you are only allowed to have circa £150 of duty free allowance. He who is without sin . . .

In motel 6 maybe
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by bigbumper(f): 10:36pm On May 27, 2007
Yeah a two bedroom condo in motel 6 indeed. Ignorance is bliss.
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by promise72(m): 10:39pm On May 27, 2007
be cordial ladies grin

cant we all get along?

@ babyosisi. wats up? wink
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by Nobody: 10:48pm On May 27, 2007
promise72:

be cordial ladies grin

can't we all get along?

@ babyosisi. wats up? wink

not much o.
I have a teacher willing to school the ignorant.
I'm all ears
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by Nobody: 10:49pm On May 27, 2007
people outside the US have all these tales by moonlight to tell until they land here.
I have a goose that lays golden eggs in my backyard grin
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by promise72(m): 10:50pm On May 27, 2007
hows things. im here in calif. were are u?
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by Nobody: 10:51pm On May 27, 2007
I live on the East coast
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by promise72(m): 10:54pm On May 27, 2007
hows d weather?
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by paperboy(m): 11:14am On Jun 23, 2007
This must be the loot from Edo State government where Oga wrecked the hospitals management board. Is this not Eki Igbinedion's younger sister? Married to Nick? The news is all over Benin City where indeed it is no longer news!
Abeg you, let us sidon look. More will be revealed w[/font][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]ith time.
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by 9ja4eva: 6:06pm On Jun 23, 2007
Why she no declare d money?She dey fear say EFCC go come carry am?

Sad though.US Immigration sef be ole
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jun 23, 2007
Eki igbinedion's sista?

this is another twist

mmmh EFCC must already know abt this
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by 9ja4eva: 3:08am On Jun 24, 2007
Igbinedions Sista ke?
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by MP007(m): 3:55am On Jun 24, 2007
forth-worth , that in ma backyard, omg ! embarassed
Re: Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration by 9ja4eva: 4:00am On Jun 24, 2007
DFW u stay near dere?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Need Tips For Entering Cameroun From Enugu Or Calabar By Road. / 9 Best Affordable Places To Live In Lagos / Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.