Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree (29613 Views)

Nigerian Polytechnic Lecturer Bags Second Degree From UK University / How Can I Get A Second Degree From Another Course Without Starting From Scratch. / Unilorin: 7 Months In A Semester, The Fall Of A Stable Calendar !!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 27, 2019
Vicyace:

It's quite obvious you studied abroad. Spot on

I'm currently an international student in the UK and I can tell you for a fact that the difference is too clear.

It's almost impossible to remain the same if you studied abroad. Although, personal development is very important.
after the studies no work for u for uk. U have to come home to hustle for job. Personal development os not by school
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by omohlexy: 10:37am On Aug 27, 2019
chii8:
Huh..I don't think foreign second degree is devalued. Why would someone possess such and still want to scout for Nigerian jobs?Didn't you read the story of a Nigerian street cleaner in UAE, who earns more than some Nigerian bankers,engineers, lectures, etc on monthly basis?
Anyway by God's grace, my children tertiary education will be in a foreign land with well equipped facilities and conducive environment for learning and working as well
Street cleaner? Slave mentality!
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by fykes(m): 10:38am On Aug 27, 2019
Lamasta:
If you fortunate to study abroad for your second degree you should as well do well to gain all the required experience needed in the working environment if possible continue your career there and if you want to come to Nigeria make sure you coming as a consultant to big multinationals or establishment such as NNPC and the likes or You become a commissioner or minister to government of the day.

Never I advise to finish your second degree abroad and then come to Nigeria to look for job in Nigeria
Nice advice, but not every country gives u the previldege to work after study.
Some give u months to leave the country, some gives u no chance. U get ur certificates, u go higher or leave

2 Likes

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Nobody: 10:40am On Aug 27, 2019
Peaceagain:
Dear OP, this is purely your own opinion and one side of the matter. Truth be told, you haven't set foot in a foreign university that is why you made such a submission. As much as i agree with you that in Nigeria, a foreign degree has little or no edge over a local degree purely due to few opportunities available to all. Largely, a foreign degree still has an edge over local because your market now expands beyond local reach. Lets say i have an MSc from the University of Manchester in the UK and you have same from any nice Uni in Nigeria and we both apply for a multinational employment. Guess who would be recognised first. Yep, i thought as much!! If you know your onions, you will not be dragging job in Naija. Get a job relevant to your profession no matter how much it pays. Learn the ropes for a year or two and look for an international job. End of story.

I will suggest you try out a short course outside of Naija especially in the UK even if for a week or a month and then come back to write this essay again. The difference is clear. You will hardly get such tutelage anywhere in Naija.
your assumption is a fallacy. That is what he is addressing. Even with uk masters u still have to do shl gmat and other tests(many uk based could not even pass the test so as 9ja ones). No one will employ you these days because you studied abroad . I worked in a big 4 for 2 years. The performers were from places like lasu and osu. Not leeds university.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by jesmond3945: 10:43am On Aug 27, 2019
Mizwisdom:

Who told you that you're miles ahead because you schooled abroad? you're only deceiving yourself
lol. Is okay. People who did would tell you.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Ugosample(m): 10:45am On Aug 27, 2019
don4real18:

Schooling abroad doesn't mean that you become more efficient than those who schooled in Nigeria.

there is no basis for comparison

schooling in NiggerArea is trash

especially if you are not updating yourself with personal studies and personal research
the lecturers don't know shit, act like demi gods, corrupt the system and are frustrated bastards

schooling abroad will expose you to a world that a Nigerian yrained graduate can't even dream about

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by gforce5: 10:46am On Aug 27, 2019
The author is correct. Those arguing otherwise do not know the reality on ground. Gone are the days when a foreign second degree automatically guaranteed you a job. It's all about who you know. A lot of MSC degree holders are at home as they cannot secure a job. A lot of these firms hire children of the elite who are well-connected. Many of them even hire family members and children of their friends hence why it has become important to secure close relationships with the rich kids wherever you are. Government jobs are worse as they are dominated by the Hausa-Fulani. That's not to say that foreign second degrees are worthless. They still put you in front of the queue and companies that look at merit will always give you a chance.

2 Likes

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by jesmond3945: 10:46am On Aug 27, 2019
don4real18:

Schooling abroad doesn't mean that you become more efficient than those who schooled in Nigeria.
it means that. Can you present seminars on all your subjects every week? Can you read 200 journals in a month or conduct 1000 runs of experiment in a week or read 8hrs 7 days a week?
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by rajoys: 10:46am On Aug 27, 2019
Having a degree in Republic of Benin, Ghana, Togo and Malaysia is different from having one in the developed and advanced world of USA, UK, Canada and Germany etc. So the foreign degree need specification. shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by optimusprime2(m): 10:52am On Aug 27, 2019
Tell that to companies like; Shell or GE...
Mtcheew
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Peaceagain: 10:55am On Aug 27, 2019
Tina26:
your assumption is a fallacy. That is what he is addressing. Even with uk masters u still have to do shl gmat and other tests(many uk based could not even pass the test so as 9ja ones). No one will employ you these days because you studied abroad . I worked in a big 4 for 2 years. The performers were from places like lasu and osu. Not leeds university.

First of all, before you challenge me rudely. You should go back to elementary school to learn comprehension. I talked about recognition not performance. Performance is an individual thing not a result of your degree or the schools you attended. Even if you have a degree from Harvad but you are as lazy as a Tortoise, guess what. You will not advance. Performance is an individual thing.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Peaceagain: 10:57am On Aug 27, 2019
Wo, one Moet for u. I mean complete trash!

Ugosample:

there is no basis for comparison

schooling in NiggerArea is trash

especially if you are not updating yourself with personal studies and personal research
the lecturers don't know shit, act like demi gods, corrupt the system and are frustrated bastards

schooling abroad will expose you to a world that a Nigerian yrained graduate can't even dream about
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by lexy2014: 10:57am On Aug 27, 2019
jesmond3945:
Op your write up is purely your opinion. It is only an idiot that would go abroad to get a degree just to come and land a job in naija. Your abroad degree gives you international experience, exposes you on how to interact and collaborate with multinationals, exposes you to latest in technology and how to conduct independent study, most importantly how to make logical arguments and present your information. There are other benefits. You cannot compare the efficiency of someone who schooled abroad and someone in Nigeria to a job, they are miles apart. So dont judge the quality of a degree from the point of getting local jobs but what impact it creates in the economy. Afterall it is not their fault that Nigeria rewards mediocrity.

What impact does a foreign degree create in d Nigerian economy if d holder doesn't a job with it? If u say Nigeria rewards mediocrity, aren't u making d same point that d writer made?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Caseless: 11:01am On Aug 27, 2019
sorextee:
To be honest, I didn't read this long epistle. Story too long.
if you consider this too long, you are one of the problems created by our poor educational system.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by maasoap(m): 11:02am On Aug 27, 2019
jesmond3945:
if you read well, I correclty replied op's degrading of foreign degree due to Nigeria's labour issues. Do you know how much foreign degree can impart on you? If you put ideas into practice you would create jobs. That mediocrity and nepotism pervades the country is not a reason to cast aspersion on a foreign degree. If you go to abroad and you don't know what to do with your experience then your case is dire.

And it still boils down to jobs, whether under someone or the one you creates yourself. You see my friend, you need to stop the rush to attack just because you were going to have contrary view. Your view now is not different from the one you attacked.
Op didn't degrade the foreign degree. Op wasn't the writer, the writer is a prof. And he talked about how corruption and connection have rendered the foreign degree useless unlike in the past. He talked about the high number of graduates parading foreign degrees compared to the past. And lastly talked about the need to upgrade our own educational system so that the rush to acquire foreign degrees will subside. If he was degrading foreign degrees, he wouldn't have called for improvement in our own system

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by maasoap(m): 11:05am On Aug 27, 2019
lexy2014:

What impact does a foreign degree create in d Nigerian economy if d holder doesn't a job with it? If u say Nigeria rewards mediocrity, aren't u making d same point that d writer made?

Don't mind him, I was telling him the same thing
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by larryking540: 11:08am On Aug 27, 2019
MicroBox:
Coming back to Nigeria immediately after your studies without oversea experience, is a mistake. You must try and engage yourself in something to have at least 2-years working experience before starting your application from your base. Beside, you can choose to become permanent resident of some countries before coming down.

when village people are calling ur name every day to come back, if u are not strong on ur own, bro forget it,
some of them it is after coming back to9ja they start regretting
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 27, 2019
Peaceagain:

First of all, before you challenge me rudely. You should go back to elementary school to learn comprehension. I talked about recognition not performance. Performance is an individual thing not a result of your degree or the schools you attended. Even if you have a degree from Harvad but you are as lazy as a Tortoise, guess what. You will not advance. Performance is an individual thing.
are you employed for recognition purposes If only you know how many uk degree holders are jobless

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Ugosample(m): 11:08am On Aug 27, 2019
Peaceagain:

Wo, one Moet for u. I mean complete trash!

what really do people learn based on the outdater curriculum in those graveyards we call university?
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Ugosample(m): 11:09am On Aug 27, 2019
Tina26:
are you employed for recognition purposes If only you know how many uk degree holders are jobless

They are jobless IN NIGGERAREA because the economy is fvcked and depressed

In a relatively buoyant economy
the unemployment rate will be much lower

the elite class have killed the country kpata kpata

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:21am On Aug 27, 2019
jesmond3945:
Op your write up is purely your opinion. It is only an idiot that would go abroad to get a degree just to come and land a job in naija. Your abroad degree gives you international experience, exposes you on how to interact and collaborate with multinationals, exposes you to latest in technology and how to conduct independent study, most importantly how to make logical arguments and present your information. There are other benefits. You cannot compare the efficiency of someone who schooled abroad and someone in Nigeria to a job, they are miles apart. So dont judge the quality of a degree from the point of getting local jobs but what impact it creates in the economy. Afterall it is not their fault that Nigeria rewards mediocrity.

You're indirectly saying that majority of abroad-trained Nigerians are idiots, cos the reality is, only a handful get to stay abroad after their studies.

No doubt, universities abroad will expose one to a level of education not available locally in naija, but it does not translate to what you wrote up there. We still have some abroad trained graduates who do not know jack about their discipline. I'm not referring to Benin or Ghana University graduates, but products of top American, Canadian and UK Universities (I don't want to mention names). Efficiency on the job does not entirely depend on education. #Fact
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Peaceagain: 11:22am On Aug 27, 2019
It is very clear you didn't read my submission before attacking. Please go over it again and find where i gave an advise. I know many UK degree holders unemployed. You know why The "Feel-Big Syndrom". I can't do this job or that job. Keep waiting for that big job. It will come eventually when you are 90 Years. That is what has happened to many of our youths. I am not saying a foreign degree is a panacea. You just have to be creative with it. Know where you are going and how to get there. If you keep waiting for the environment to be right before you launch out, you will remain there forever. Please go over the text again and let me have my Peaceagain!!!!

Tina26:
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by obamma: 11:24am On Aug 27, 2019
This is so true.

Check my signature to see how you can follow my steps to get your dream jobs. The same steps I used to get mine.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by jesmond3945: 11:25am On Aug 27, 2019
maasoap:

And it still boils down to jobs, whether under someone or the one you creates yourself. You see my friend, you need to stop the rush to attack just because you were going to have contrary view. Your view now is not different from the one you attacked.
Op didn't degrade the foreign degree. Op wasn't the writer, the writer is a prof. And he talked about how corruption and connection have rendered the foreign degree useless unlike in the past. He talked about the high number of graduates parading foreign degrees compared to the past. And lastly talked about the need to upgrade our own educational system so that the rush to acquire foreign degrees will subside. If he was degrading foreign degrees, he wouldn't have called for improvement in our own system
you read and understand my talk at all. So if you go abroad and study, the only think you think of is job? Then whats the point of travelling when you can still be in naija and get the job. You have not thought of public etiquettes, problem solving, politics, business and so on. You think is only job and creation of jobs. Nawaoo. Then your foreign degree is a waste. Now let me tell you my friend akin alabi got his bet idea when he schooled at manchester. What of inre mobile? Paystack ceo the same thing. Do you know most innovations you see in Naija were due to ideas gotten from schooling abroad? Have you heard of buffet business? Like i said if it only to get a job thats why you spent millions of pounds to acquire a foreign degree then you are stupid. Qed

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by jesmond3945: 11:32am On Aug 27, 2019
PatrickOkunima:

You're indirectly saying that majority of abroad-trained Nigerians are idiots, cos the reality is, only a handful get to stay abroad after their studies.

No doubt, universities abroad will expose one to a level of education not available locally in naija, but it does not translate to what you wrote up there. We still have some abroad trained graduates who do not know jack about their discipline. I'm not referring to Benin or Ghana University graduates, but products of top American, Canadian and UK Universities (I don't want to mention names). Efficiency on the job does not entirely depend on education. #Fact
it is now a personal issue if you went to abroad to acquire a degree that would make you earn salary. Right now a friend i know is building a care home in naija another is building a buffet based restaurant another a coding academy. Infact you can use technology to fight fulani herdsmen tell me how then get a foreign degree together with personal development.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Bbbwings: 11:35am On Aug 27, 2019
Do the commenters actually read the article.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Shaev7(m): 11:41am On Aug 27, 2019
jesmond3945:
Thank you. Well said.
Some people just come here to write gibberish.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by liohan: 11:45am On Aug 27, 2019
alignacademy:

Thanks for sharing

Without even considering the irony that the writer is writing from a foreign country himself, this is solely HIS opinion

Your career path is determined by what you CHOOSE to do with the skills and experience you acquire, not necessarily based on the shade of your degree certificate...

The bolded, what I wanted to say.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Tunagee(m): 12:12pm On Aug 27, 2019
jesmond3945:

You are saying a different thing compared to what the OP is saying. OP is talking about dwindling job opportunities for foreign advanced degree earners cos of limited jobs being reserved for the children of the elite class; you are talking about difference in the quality of education. Read the post very well. Nobody disputes that western education is not the best.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Nobody: 12:20pm On Aug 27, 2019
I think running abroad to advance your studies just to increase your employment potential is a wrong motiivation. Rather, there should be genuine passion for knowledge and skill acquisition. When the motive is right, other things would automatically fall into place. I learnt more during my 1year plus at the University of Manchester(Msc.) than the 5years spent during my undergrads in Nigeria (lol). Honestly after my Msc., I understood why most multinationals are biased towards foreign degrees especially in engineering. You are taught rigorouosly in good schools abroad. You are taught to be problem solvers and innovators - not just memorisers of theorems, irrelevancies and other inert mass of confusing and outdated knowledge. (especially in engineering).

I returned from the UK early this year and have gotten three job offers so far (rejected two), about to undergo medical examination for the third (might reject it though) and the last offer which is the one I am most interest in should come through by october/november. That is roughly 4 offers this year alone.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by MiddleDimension: 12:27pm On Aug 27, 2019
lexy2014:

you with the foreign degree, you don't have to look for work to add your quota here. your foreign degree should be enough to make you provide solutions to anywhere in the world, including Nigeria!
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by MiddleDimension: 12:28pm On Aug 27, 2019
jesmond3945:

all of your grammar should help you create jobs and solve our problems in this country, if foreign degrees make you any better.,you should not be joining the unemployment queue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Successors By Jerry Agada / What Course Can She Study With This WAEC Result? / List Of 12 States With Highest 2024 UTME Applications

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.