Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree (29608 Views)

Nigerian Polytechnic Lecturer Bags Second Degree From UK University / How Can I Get A Second Degree From Another Course Without Starting From Scratch. / Unilorin: 7 Months In A Semester, The Fall Of A Stable Calendar !!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by MiddleDimension: 12:30pm On Aug 27, 2019
DanXplore:
I think running abroad to advance your studies just to increase your employment potential is a wrong motiivation. Rather, there should be genuine passion for knowledge and skill acquisition. When the motive is right, other things would automatically fall into place. I learnt more during my 1year plus at the University of Manchester(Msc.) than the 5years spent during my undergrads in Nigeria (lol). Honestly after my Msc., I understood why most multinationals are biased towards foreign degrees especially in engineering. You are taught rigorouosly in good schools abroad. You are taught to be problem solvers and innovators - not just memorisers of theorems, irrelevancies an other inert mass of confusing and outdated knowledge. (especially in engineering).

I returned from the UK early this year and have gotten three job offers so far (rejected two), about to undergo medical examination for the third (might reject it though) and the last offer which is the one I am most interest in should come through by october/november. That is roughly 4 offers this year alone.

absolutely right with your first point
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Sleevia: 12:31pm On Aug 27, 2019
iHart:
There is this Indian PhD and MSC group I joined sometime ago, when i read comments there, its just obvious that higher degree is overrated. There are plenty of PhD holders in that group still looking for job. Many attended the best of schools, had the best scholarship, at the end it turns to wasted years and no job. If you are not a lecturer, forget it. If you manage to get MSc, just stop there. My in-law who stays in US told me he will rather do MBA than do MSc and PhD, I am beginning to see reasons with him.
people should stop acquiring degrees with the sole aim of getting jobs. They should should create jobs instead. The government can't do everything.

4 Likes

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by maestroferdi: 12:47pm On Aug 27, 2019
don4real18:

Schooling abroad doesn't mean that you become more efficient than those who schooled in Nigeria.
Nigerians can be very funny...

Studying abroad is no meal ticket.

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by jesmond3945: 12:49pm On Aug 27, 2019
Tunagee:

You are saying a different thing compared to what the OP is saying. OP is talking about dwindling job opportunities for foreign advanced degree earners cos of limited jobs being reserved for the children of the elite class; you are talking about difference in the quality of education. Read the post very well. Nobody disputes that western education is not the best.
not at all. Op used foreign degrees as a bait to prove his point while my opinion is to defend foreign degrees. Look at the title very well, when did foreign degrees start falling, look at the body when did foreign degrees start falling because of jobs. If the title was'foreign degrees are no longer a bargaining chip in Nigeria's job climate' I would have concurred.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by jesmond3945: 12:49pm On Aug 27, 2019
MiddleDimension:

all of your grammar should help you create jobs and solve our problems in this country, if foreign degrees make you any better.,you should not be joining the unemployment queue.
very intelligent response as if you know me from adam.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Vicyace: 12:57pm On Aug 27, 2019
Tina26:
after the studies no work for u for uk. U have to come home to hustle for job. Personal development os not by school

You obviously didnt understand my argument or maybe you just don't understand what personal development means.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 27, 2019
Where you get the data to support your claims
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by lexy2014: 1:04pm On Aug 27, 2019
MiddleDimension:

you with the foreign degree, you don't have to look for work to add your quota here. your foreign degree should be enough to make you provide solutions to anywhere in the world, including Nigeria!

Is it every person who has a foreign degree that can do or has done what u saying? Are there no Nigerians who don't have foreign degrees but who haven't worked a day in their lives buy have provided solutions & jobs for other Nigerians?
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by iHart(m): 1:14pm On Aug 27, 2019
Sleevia:
people should stop acquiring degrees with the sole aim of getting jobs. They should should create jobs instead. The government can't do everything.
Exactly,... In my MSc days, my supervisor once told me that nobody should be hungry with Master, you should at least create a job. It was one of those words that challenged me into entrepreneurship.

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Peaceagain: 1:27pm On Aug 27, 2019
You really do get the gist. Congrats in advance on your new job. I tell people. Living in the UK alone is work experience in itself. It builds your work ethics. You can survive any life (not living) condition by merely living in the UK for one year. For those that believe foreign degree is a joke. I pray you get an opportunity to study in the UK and then come back and tell me if your certificate is Moi Moi.

DanXplore:
I think running abroad to advance your studies just to increase your employment potential is a wrong motiivation. Rather, there should be genuine passion for knowledge and skill acquisition. When the motive is right, other things would automatically fall into place. I learnt more during my 1year plus at the University of Manchester(Msc.) than the 5years spent during my undergrads in Nigeria (lol). Honestly after my Msc., I understood why most multinationals are biased towards foreign degrees especially in engineering. You are taught rigorouosly in good schools abroad. You are taught to be problem solvers and innovators - not just memorisers of theorems, irrelevancies and other inert mass of confusing and outdated knowledge. (especially in engineering).

I returned from the UK early this year and have gotten three job offers so far (rejected two), about to undergo medical examination for the third (might reject it though) and the last offer which is the one I am most interest in should come through by october/november. That is roughly 4 offers this year alone.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 27, 2019
sorextee:
To be honest, I didn't read this long epistle. Story too long.

That is why people like you end up with third class cool
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 27, 2019
jesmond3945:
Op your write up is purely your opinion. It is only an idiot that would go abroad to get a degree just to come and land a job in naija. Your abroad degree gives you international experience, exposes you on how to interact and collaborate with multinationals, exposes you to latest in technology and how to conduct independent study, most importantly how to make logical arguments and present your information.

1. Your degree abroad does not give you International Experience. International Experience comes from WORK EXPERIENCE in your field of expertise. Again, degree abroad is not equal to experience.

2. Your degree abroad does not expose you on how to interact with multinational companies, you have to work in multinational companies to get this experience.

3. Your other points are 100% correct.

There are other benefits. You cannot compare the efficiency of someone who schooled abroad and someone in Nigeria to a job, they are miles apart. So dont judge the quality of a degree from the point of getting local jobs but what impact it creates in the economy. Afterall it is not their fault that Nigeria rewards mediocrity

It depends on the university you attended , and a degree without exprience will not create impact to the economy.

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by banio: 1:38pm On Aug 27, 2019
High IQ remains key.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 27, 2019
MicroBox:
Coming back to Nigeria immediately after your studies without oversea experience, is a mistake. You must try and engage yourself in something to have at least 2-years working experience before starting your application from your base. Beside, you can choose to become permanent resident of some countries before coming down.

Perfectly stated. Experience is the KEY.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by don4real18(m): 1:42pm On Aug 27, 2019
maestroferdi:
Nigerians can be very funny...

Studying abroad is no meal ticket.
No one said it is and no one said that they do not possess a better education system. Being efficient relies more on the individual(s). Today we have the internet from which you can learn practically everything there is to learn. So before making a has to generalisation, you should understand that it is not always so.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by benji93: 2:14pm On Aug 27, 2019
It's high time youth's that intend to further their studies(especially Engineers and Scientists) abroad do so with the purpose of acquiring enough skills and knowledge to start up technological units back home. We got to leave behind the notion that we need to study in better schools or study higher degrees to get higher paying jobs. If you studied electrical Engineering or Physics, why wouldn't you endeavour to work in research labs that are doing a lot of studies into solar cells, particularly perovskite solar cells-cos it's a potentially cheaper one. I think the various scholarship opportunities available to Nigerians should be research/project based. For instance the government could enter agreements with institutions specific about their research scope, send students there to study over and extended period of time. This is what Nigeria needs now. We are overdue for a massive technological/industrial revolution. This can only happen if Nigerian students become more lab-to-startup oriented. But what do you expect from a country ruled by some unaccomplished individuals.

2 Likes

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by madridsta007(m): 2:24pm On Aug 27, 2019
seguntijan:
By Moses Ochonu

Ochonu, a history professor, writes from Nashville, USA

Source: https://educeleb.com/rise-fall-foreign-second-degree/

Ochonu, a History Professor and a Buharist.

Yes, he may have publicly regretted and apologised for enabling Buhari in 2015, but to be known as a "history" professor and a supporter of Buhari in 2015, is to belittle and travalise the field of human history.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Nobody: 3:02pm On Aug 27, 2019
sorextee:
To be honest, I didn't read this long epistle. Story too long.
it's not about you, just typical of blacks. wanna hide something from a black? just put it in writing.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by opa4pr: 3:05pm On Aug 27, 2019
iHart:
There is this Indian PhD and MSC group I joined sometime ago, when i read comments there, its just obvious that higher degree is overrated. There are plenty of PhD holders in that group still looking for job. Many attended the best of schools, had the best scholarship, at the end it turns to wasted years and no job. If you are not a lecturer, forget it. If you manage to get MSc, just stop there. My in-law who stays in US told me he will rather do MBA than do MSc and PhD, I am beginning to see reasons with him.
What are the reasons? Why an MBA
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by iHart(m): 3:17pm On Aug 27, 2019
opa4pr:

What are the reasons? Why an MBA
His major is not business but he runs a business and want to set up more, so he wants to get himself equipped for the task.

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by mrkel(m): 3:31pm On Aug 27, 2019
I can relate. In 2014 or there about, I applied for the DSS nation wide recruitment. Amidst the mammoth crowd that partook in the exam in Rivers state, I was amongst the 30 persons shortlisted for the second round of the interview. when the DSS officials were scrutinizing our credentials, over 20 of the applicants had their first and second degree Overseas. What really struck me was one champ that had a first class in Electrical Engineering. The DSS official was startled that a first class brain has been unemployed for two years. The DSS official even asked him if his degree is the "Toronto" variant and told the lad that they will investigate his certificate.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by sorextee(m): 4:01pm On Aug 27, 2019
And funny enough that's what I came out with. I'm proud of myself. I can defend it anywhere.

frosbel2:

That is why people like you end up with third class cool
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by maasoap(m): 4:06pm On Aug 27, 2019
jesmond3945:
you read and understand my talk at all. So if you go abroad and study, the only think you think of is job? Then whats the point of travelling when you can still be in naija and get the job. You have not thought of public etiquettes, problem solving, politics, business and so on. You think is only job and creation of jobs. Nawaoo. Then your foreign degree is a waste. Now let me tell you my friend akin alabi got his bet idea when he schooled at manchester. What of inre mobile? Paystack ceo the same thing. Do you know most innovations you see in Naija were due to ideas gotten from schooling abroad? Have you heard of buffet business? Like i said if it only to get a job thats why you spent millions of pounds to acquire a foreign degree then you are stupid. Qed

Business and jobs, I meant both are similar. Don't get me wrong if both are different from your definition and end result
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by SpeedGod: 4:15pm On Aug 27, 2019
I will not talk much. I can say am underemployed or even unemployed right now with my UK MSc. But I feel the benefit inside me. I believe other benefits will still come. So my advice is go if you can. No regrets . cheers!

Let me just say it has given me a lot of confidence. Seems to me like I have seen it all.

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Antichristus: 5:40pm On Aug 27, 2019
MicroBox:
Coming back to Nigeria immediately after your studies without oversea experience, is a mistake. You must try and engage yourself in something to have at least 2-years working experience before starting your application from your base. Beside, you can choose to become permanent resident of some countries before coming down.

You’re right but Nigeria is doomed. I know a guy who, after gaining his PhD, lectured for 10 years in UK unis, and the desire to return home made him apply to UNILAG as a lecturer. This was in 2011. To this day, he got no reply. He relocated from UK to the USA where he continues lecturing. This is a guy with two PhDs one in legal philosophy from LSE and the second in jurisprudence from Birmingham.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by IamCharles123: 5:49pm On Aug 27, 2019
jesmond3945:
Op your write up is purely your opinion. It is only an idiot that would go abroad to get a degree just to come and land a job in naija. Your abroad degree gives you international experience, exposes you on how to interact and collaborate with multinationals, exposes you to latest in technology and how to conduct independent study, most importantly how to make logical arguments and present your information. There are other benefits. You cannot compare the efficiency of someone who schooled abroad and someone in Nigeria to a job, they are miles apart. So dont judge the quality of a degree from the point of getting local jobs but what impact it creates in the economy. Afterall it is not their fault that Nigeria rewards mediocrity.
I dont agree with the bold, speaking from some few foreign trained, i have met. They were just like a normal Nigeria graduate. Infact one ask me i question that i began to doubt the credibility of her degree.

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Lamasta(m): 5:52pm On Aug 27, 2019
fykes:

Nice advice, but not every country gives u the previldege to work after study.
Some give u months to leave the country, some gives u no chance. U get ur certificates, u go higher or leave
Yeah I understand but as a student you need to make connections now so you can stay back and work.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Ugosample(m): 5:55pm On Aug 27, 2019
IamCharles123:

I dont agree with the bold, speaking from some few foreign trained, i have met. They were just like a normal Nigeria graduate. Infact one ask me i question that i began to doubt the credibility of her degree.

there is nothing to disagree
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Ugosample(m): 5:57pm On Aug 27, 2019
Antichristus:

You’re right but Nigeria is doomed. I know a guy who, after gaining his PhD, lectured for 10 years in UK unis, and the desire to return home made him apply to UNILAG as a lecturer. This was in 2011. To this day, he got no reply. He relocated from UK to the USA where he continues lecturing. This is a guy with two PhDs one in legal philosophy from LSE and the second in jurisprudence from Birmingham.

NiggerArea is on self destruct mode
don't you know ?

the people who would have helped this country

the mediocre have sent them all running away

And anyone who dare set a spark to change things
get frustrated or even eliminated as the case may be

it makes me think that maybe many Nigerians are content with the rot
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by Saintsquare(m): 8:39pm On Aug 27, 2019
There is a difference between studying abroad to escape naija wahala and actually studying abroad to broaden ones horizon......nuff said
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by jesmond3945: 9:15pm On Aug 27, 2019
frosbel2:

1. Your degree abroad does not give you International Experience. International Experience comes from WORK EXPERIENCE in your field of expertise. Again, degree abroad is not equal to experience.

2. Your degree abroad does not expose you on how to interact with multinational companies, you have to work in multinational companies to get this experience.

3. Your other points are 100% correct.

It depends on the university you attended , and a degree without exprience will not create impact to the economy.
if you go to a good school with multinationals as students then you would know what international experience means. When you are in a lab conducting experiments with multinationals is it not experience? When you are doing simulations or field work with them is it not experience ?
Who are the the people working in mncs are they not foreigners? Do they interact differently from people in the academia? If you dont know, in abroad the people in academia are very much part of the industry.

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree by jesmond3945: 9:31pm On Aug 27, 2019
IamCharles123:

i mean majority of foreign grad. I cannot for someone that attended a mushroom university.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Successors By Jerry Agada / 2 Rivers University Students Suspended Over 'Inciting' Facebook Posts / Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.