Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,698 members, 7,862,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 11:04 AM

Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession (10219 Views)

#lagoslessons - Nigerians Give Important Tips On How To Survive Living In Lagos / What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by justwise(m): 5:04pm On Oct 26, 2010
funkybaby:

well, thats the posh and modern way of having ijebu garri.  grin you should try it.

pele oh. ajebutta   tongue i didnt attend a boarding school either. .

soaking garri is not the exclusive privilege of ''ex-students of naija boarding schools''  tongue
you like ijebu garri too? grin

Its the ultimate, expecially on a hot afternoon. grin grin grin
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by buzugee(m): 5:05pm On Oct 26, 2010
Tolulop001:

erm, how do they kill it? a private abbatoir or in their backyard?  undecided
grin ermm see what they do is they form groups. like say 8 of them. then they get the bus to the place. then they choose the goat they like. then they tell the person to kill it for them and share it into eight equal portions. then they each log their huge chunk of goat on the bus 12 headed for peckham. and thats all she wrote  grin
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by funkybaby(f): 5:07pm On Oct 26, 2010
justwise:

Its the ultimate, expecially on a hot afternoon. grin grin grin
grin u be correct guy.  kiss kiss kiss

buzugee:

grin ermm see what they do is they form group. like say 8 of them. then they get the bus to the place. then they chose the goat they like. then they tell the person to kill it for them and share it into eight equal portions. then they each log their[b] huge chunk of goat on the bus 12 headed for peckham[/b]. and thats all she wrote  grin

shocked o ga oh. grin grin grin
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by buzugee(m): 5:12pm On Oct 26, 2010
funkybaby:

grin u be correct guy.  kiss kiss kiss

shocked o ga oh. grin grin grin

too much wahala if you ask me. but hey ? some people love their naija food and habits for life. like say dem no dey sell beef for tesco
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by justwise(m): 5:22pm On Oct 26, 2010
buzugee:

too much wahala if you ask me. but hey ? some people love their naija food and habits for life. like say dem no dey sell beef for tesco

Its too much trouble buying live chicken and goat, when i was living n Zimbabwe with my elder brother and his wife, we never buy frozen chicken or meat, always live chicken and goat or cow and its a nightmare, i hated the idea but trust some Nigerian families there, they insisted on buying live animals from the farm, 3-4 families, they will buy one cow, killed it in the farm then share, thank God i'm not there anymore.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Tolulop001(f): 5:56pm On Oct 26, 2010
buzugee:

grin ermm see what they do is they form groups. like say 8 of them. then they get the bus to the place. then they choose the goat they like. then they tell the person to kill it for them and share it into eight equal portions. then they each log their huge chunk of goat on the bus 12 headed for peckham. and thats all she wrote  grin

hehehe for real grin grin grin nigerians will take naija anywhere they go!
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by buzugee(m): 6:36pm On Oct 26, 2010
justwise:

Its too much trouble buying live chicken and goat, when i was living n Zimbabwe with my elder brother and his wife, we never buy frozen chicken or meat, always live chicken and goat or cow and its a nightmare, i hated the idea but trust some Nigerian families there, they insisted on buying live animals from the farm, 3-4 families, they will buy one cow, killed it in the farm then share, thank God i'm not there anymore.
you lived in zimbabwe ? dayummmmm hehe i was thinking about moving to bulawayo one time sef because my neighbors in manchester were from zimbabwe and all the time when we talk, she and her sister were always talking about how nice it is and how you can get a mansion with swimming pool for 40 thousand pounds. this was in 2002. i was seriously considering it too. she will show me the houses online too and the prices. the place looked heavenly too.
but yeah back to topic, doing that kinda stuff in zimbabwe is kinda cool because the culture permits for such. doing it in london on the other hand is just ridiculous. in britain they like everything to be neat and packaged. trying to buy live animals is going against british culture and it just doesn't merge with the western lifestyle
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by buzugee(m): 6:42pm On Oct 26, 2010
Tolulop001:

hehehe for real grin grin grin nigerians will take naija anywhere they go!
lol you can take the boy out of naija but you cannot take naija out of the boy
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by justwise(m): 6:47pm On Oct 26, 2010
buzugee:

you lived in zimbabwe ? dayummmmm hehe i was thinking about moving to bulawayo one time sef because my neighbors in manchester were from zimbabwe and all the time when we talk, she and her sister were always talking about how nice it is and how you can get a mansion with swimming pool for 40 thousand pounds. this was in 2002. i was seriously considering it too. she will show me the houses online too and the prices. the place looked heavenly too. but yeah back to topic, doing that kinda stuff in zimbabwe is kinda cool because the culture permits for such. doing it in london on the other hand is just ridiculous. in britain they like everything to be neat and packaged. trying to buy live animals is going against british culture and it just doesn't merge with the western lifestyle

Your neighbour is right but that was then, things starting getting bad end of 2002, yes houses there are gr8, big compounds, eletric gates massive swimming pools but u wouldn't get such house with £80,000 now.
Zim was pretty cheap at that time, not anymore.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by buzugee(m): 6:50pm On Oct 26, 2010
justwise:

Your neighbour is right but that was then, things starting getting bad end of 2002, yes houses there are gr8, big compounds, eletric gates massive swimming pools but u wouldn't get such house with £80,000 now.
Zim was pretty cheap at that time, not anymore.

so why did you leave ? and where did you move to ?
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by justwise(m): 6:59pm On Oct 26, 2010
buzugee:

so why did you leave ? and where did you move to ?

My elder brother was on official assignment then, as he was rounding up to go back to Nigeria, i decided to join the queue for UK visa, that was it. . . good morning harare, good night heathrow airport.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by buzugee(m): 7:04pm On Oct 26, 2010
justwise:

My elder brother was on official assignment then, as he was rounding up to go back to Nigeria, i decided to join the queue for UK visa, that was it. . . good morning harare, good night heathrow airport.
grin grin hehe. i hear ya. i tell you though, there are so many gems in africa yet to be discovered. maybe even nigeria sef. i remember hanging out in ibadan for a while. there is this posh place called bodija. this is where all the trendy people hang out. maybe i will retire in bodija ? who knows eh ? all i know is i dont want to become daddy london  grin. maybe buy a bike and hang out at UI and chill with the students ? ahhhh. the possiblilities
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by justwise(m): 7:15pm On Oct 26, 2010
buzugee:

grin grin hehe. i hear ya. i tell you though, there are so many gems in africa yet to be discovered. maybe even nigeria sef. i remember hanging out in ibadan for a while. there is this posh place called bodija. this is where all the trendy people hang out. maybe i will retire in bodija ? who knows eh ? all i know is i dont want to become daddy london grin. maybe buy a bike and hang out at UI and chill with the students ? ahhhh. the possiblilities
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by buzugee(m): 7:27pm On Oct 26, 2010
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Nobody: 8:08pm On Oct 26, 2010
buzugee:

yes ooo. all those isale eko women in london. they form groups and go and buy whole live goat. then they share it amongst themselves. they are also all over liverpool street haggling for live chickens. me myself, i like to kick in a bit of decorum to my persona so i get my chicken from asda or marks and sparks grin grin

Thats hilarious.
I am guilty of the buying chicken from special places. I get it from Upton park and it is usually sold after it has been killed and cleaned. A live chicken goes for 1.50.
I hate chicken from asda and tesco, always too soft.

I dont see myself going in a group to buy meat, that's outrageous.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by debosky(m): 8:41pm On Oct 26, 2010
aysometin:

Thats hilarious.
I am guilty of the buying chicken from special places. I get it from Upton park and it is usually sold after it has been killed and cleaned. A live chicken goes for[b] 1.50.[/b]
I hate chicken from asda and tesco, always too soft.

I dont see myself going in a group to buy meat, that's outrageous.

shocked shocked

How much do you buy the killed and cleaned ones?
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 26, 2010
debosky:

shocked shocked

How much do you buy the killed and cleaned ones?

1.50 each, no jokes and it is live chicken.
Remember how sweet layers chicken used to be in Nigeria grin
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by debosky(m): 9:00pm On Oct 26, 2010
Chei!!!

Oya send me the address in Upton Park! cheesy
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Nobody: 9:47pm On Oct 26, 2010
debosky:

Chei!!!

Oya send me the address in Upton Park! cheesy

Queens Market, Upton park E13 9AP ( I even know that off my head grin
Just by upton park underground station

Cowleg is 1.50

You will thank me for this info
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by buzugee(m): 10:20pm On Oct 26, 2010
aysometin:

Queens Market, Upton park E13 9AP ( I even know that off my head  grin

Cowleg is 1.50

ahhh just right beside queens pub ? this light skin jamaican guy used to own that pub in the nineties. the pub is just right beside the market
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Nobody: 5:14am On Oct 27, 2010
I think someone already mentioned this--learn to do your own hair by viewing videos on YouTube. I had to learn how to braid my own hair when I was a student because my budget was tight. Now I can braid and weave and I get a lot of people asking if I can do their hair, but I don't have time. If I had some spare time I could be making some extra money on the weekends.
Coupons are great for saving money on groceries and things such as diapers. Collect store flyers and shop around for the best price. Some stores  here will meet and beat the competitor's price by up to 10%. If a sale item is not in stock ask for a rain-check (the store will honor the price once the item is in stock). Trying things like bread from bakeries close to their closing time since some of them mark it down or buy the day old bread and treats for the kids. Freeze your bread and then toast it.
Find out if any churches in your area have food banks. The food there is not great but you can stock up on basics like rice pasta and canned items.
Instead if buying cleaning products, white vinegar and baking soda work just as well if not better and cost less (also safer to have around the children).
For children's activities, try the YMCA or YWCA. You can explain your situation and you may be eligible for lowered rates or free enrollment for your children for children's activities. Your local library is also great for free children's activities and free movie rentals for both you and the kids.
I hope this helps bbecausei am in Canada and may or may not be applicable to the UK.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Allwell(m): 12:58pm On Oct 27, 2010
Hey Poster.
I think the best way out in this austere times is to increase your cashflow. Although I don't live in the UK, I hope my advice will be of great help.
Set aside some amount of money from your income and use it to buy some assests that are sure to bring in some amount of money. You could also learn to braid hairs and I'm sure that would increase your income. Even though your assest base might not be as large as expected, you will agreee with me that overtime they sure will raise some money for you. Pls don't wait for the government to come to your rescue cos I'm sure they are all confused that's why we got in this financial mess in the first place.
God be with you!
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by kadman(m): 1:33pm On Oct 27, 2010
aysometin, may God bless you, may you never lack in your life in Jesus name.

Upton Park here I come . .

Abeg who help me see my travel card lol
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Abrantie: 5:09pm On Oct 27, 2010
Divorce you husband and move back to Nigeria.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by kadman(m): 5:59pm On Oct 27, 2010
Abrantie:

Divorce you husband and move back to Nigeria.

This is the reason I log on to Nairaland ! cheesy
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Nobody: 6:35pm On Oct 27, 2010
kadman:

aysometin, may God bless you, may you never lack in your life in Jesus name.

Upton Park here I come . .

Abeg who help me see my travel card lol

Big Amen o
Very glad my post is touching lives grin
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by jaybee3(m): 7:34pm On Oct 27, 2010
Debt consolidation is another major biggie
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by madlady(f): 8:15pm On Oct 27, 2010
^^^
That's very good advice. The @Poster can get free help to do this from the CAB.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by debosky(m): 9:46am On Oct 28, 2010
aysometin:

Queens Market, Upton park E13 9AP ( I even know that off my head  grin

Cowleg is 1.50

My  belly will surely thank you when it's full of chicken and cowleg. grin

jay bee:

Debt consolidation is another major biggie

I don't recall her mentioning they have debts. . . .personall, I don't think it works unless you owe loads on many different credit cards and you have debt collectors breathing down your neck.

Fortunately/unfortunately, if Cameron achieves his aim and cuts housing benefit to £400, maybe that will bring rent prices down as some folk on benefits are forced to move to the outer boroughs.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by jaybee3(m): 10:53am On Oct 28, 2010
debosky:

I don't recall her mentioning they have debts. . . .personall, I don't think it works unless you owe loads on many different credit cards and you have debt collectors breathing down your neck.
She didn't but my calculations based on a wild assumption suggests that they might have a bit of debt.
Here are my assumptions:
Total Income = £1450
Rent = £650
Household bills (Electricity/gas/phone/internet) = £100 tops
Food = £200 tops
Travel = £200 tops
Car = Don't think they own one
Childcare = She ain't working so shez probably taking care of the kids
Credit Cards/Debts = They must have cos based on the above they should comfortably have over £300 left at end of each month

debosky:

Fortunately/unfortunately, if Cameron achieves his aim and cuts housing benefit to £400, maybe that will bring rent prices down as some folk on benefits are forced to move to the outer boroughs.
Don't you think the demand that the policy is going to create will also make outer london properties out of rich for them? It's either they get on the social housing list or she finds a job to support her husband
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Busybody2(f): 9:31pm On Oct 28, 2010
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

The boiler chicken in upton park is not live", it is the same you buy in other Asian shops, you see them hanging by the feet on the hook of any Asian meat shop anywhere in the Country from £1 to £3 per chicken depending on the shop, some would have been smoked too. You can only get "live" chicken in Liverpool Street and these were around £7/£8 as at 2 years ago.

Another important thing to note is that if you intend to come all the way to buy from Upton Park, veer right and only buy from the shop directly after the hairdressing Saloon owned by that Jamaican lady married to a Nigerian man. This shop "claims" to only sell non-halal meat, so there is always a looooooooong queue of people waiting to buy from them. You can't miss it, as there is a foodstuff shop right next to it too.

Try stay away from other shops as most of them barely get 20 customers a day, and these peeps don't throw stuffs away, so buy from them at your own peril lipsrsealed
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Busybody2(f): 9:34pm On Oct 28, 2010
@ Tolulop001

Hypotension they call it, plus orthostatic hypotension cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Nairobi May Be Better Than Abuja Or Jo'burg / My Trip To Sweden And Poland / Nigerians In Dubai.-please, I Need Your Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.