Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,997 members, 7,866,748 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 02:11 AM

Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession (10220 Views)

#lagoslessons - Nigerians Give Important Tips On How To Survive Living In Lagos / What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Abrantie: 11:31pm On Oct 28, 2010
After reading all these replies, I get the feeling UK or London, to be precise, is one huge third world cesspool. Muthafarkers talking about slaughtering chickens, goats, cows, bush meat and shiet -- and where to get cassava and plantains. Damn!

Don't you Nigerians eat non-Nigerian dishes? Get a grip!
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by justwise(m): 11:36pm On Oct 28, 2010
Abrantie:

After reading all these replies, I get the feeling UK or London, to be precise, is one huge third world cesspool. Muthafarkers talking about slaughtering chickens, goats, cows, bush meat and shiet -- and where to get cassava and plantains. Damn!

Oh please shut it!! What is wrong with Nigerians eating their own food?
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by debosky(m): 2:47pm On Oct 29, 2010
Abrantie:

After reading all these replies, I get the feeling UK or London, to be precise, is one huge third world cesspool. Muthafarkers talking about slaughtering chickens, goats, cows, bush meat and shiet -- and where to get cassava and plantains. Damn!

The aim is to devise a solution to address the problem - obviously the OP likes her Nigerian food, so she's being given options to reduce her costs.

Many people, including posters here don't eat Nigerian food daily for a variety of reasons, but as with all things we are all free to choose and do as we please.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Nobody: 3:25pm On Oct 29, 2010
Busy_body:

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

The boiler chicken in upton park is not live", it is the same you buy in other Asian shops, you see them hanging by the feet on the hook of any Asian meat shop anywhere in the Country from £1 to £3 per chicken depending on the shop, some would have been smoked too. You can only get "live" chicken in Liverpool Street and these were around £7/£8 as at 2 years ago.

Another important thing to note is that if you intend to come all the way to buy from Upton Park, veer right and only buy from the shop directly after the hairdressing Saloon owned by that Jamaican lady married to a Nigerian man. This shop "claims" to only sell non-halal meat, so there is always a looooooooong queue of people waiting to buy from them. You can't miss it, as there is a foodstuff shop right next to it too.

Try stay away from other shops as most of them barely get 20 customers a day, and these peeps don't throw stuffs away, so buy from them at your own peril lipsrsealed

Thank you very much Madam

Might be true, but the chicken tastes like live chicken to me. So I am good to go. I cant imagine going all the way to Liverpool street to queue for chicken. And besides, the chicken in Upton Park was once Live and then killed, does it really make any difference.

As par the shop, luckily for me, I buy from the shop you have described, never had issues with them and I keep going back there.

I hope everyone willing to go to Upton park reads this
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by funkybaby(f): 3:41pm On Oct 29, 2010
Abrantie:

After reading all these replies, I get the feeling UK or London, to be precise, is one huge third world cesspool. Muthafarkers talking about slaughtering chickens, goats, cows, bush meat and shiet -- and where to get cassava and plantains. Damn!

shut up jare. ode !

do you think its everyone that enjoys eating boiled green peas or lamb .
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Abrantie: 4:07pm On Oct 29, 2010
funkybaby, you're kinda cute -- at least half your profile pic is. wink so I'll ignore your harsh tone.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Busybody2(f): 4:40pm On Oct 29, 2010
aysometin:

Thank you very much Madam

Might be true, but the chicken tastes like live chicken to me. So I am good to go. I cant imagine going all the way to Liverpool street to queue for chicken. And besides, the chicken in Upton Park was once Live and then killed, does it really make any difference.

As par the shop, luckily for me, I buy from the shop you have described, never had issues with them and I keep going back there.

I hope everyone willing to go to Upton park reads this

You are welcome Madam.

This ain't a might be true case, you can only obtain live chicken with feathers, bells and whistles in Liverpool Street, unless have a hen coop in your garden or venture to the Countryside to buy one.

Yes the chicken tastes fresh, not "live", because of the high volume they sell in that "shop" only, not just any of the over 50 meat shops in Upton Park, hence it would be grossly unfair for people to travel all the way from kutuwenji and beyond, to get the same even poorer quality of chicken they can buy on their doorstep cool
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by nattyspice: 4:45pm On Oct 29, 2010
@Abratie Amakye DeDe.kindly advice your bros and sis to stick unto the smelly kobi,momoni and akrantiye feaces
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by funkybaby(f): 4:51pm On Oct 29, 2010
Abrantie:

funkybaby, you're kinda cute -- at least half your profile pic is. wink so I'll ignore your harsh tone.

awww. you must be a gentleman wink

but its totally uncalled for to address people gisting about naija food as ''murthafuckers''
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by debosky(m): 4:55pm On Oct 29, 2010
@ Busybody

Thanks jare. . .it would've been painful for me to come from kutuwenji only to discover that it was not live chicken. grin

Anyways, as long as it was killed very recently, that's as good as live to me. cheesy
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 29, 2010
Busy_body:

You are welcome Madam.

This ain't a might be true case, you can only obtain live chicken with feathers, bells and whistles in Liverpool Street, unless have a hen coop in your garden or venture to the Countryside to buy one.

Yes the chicken tastes fresh, not "live", because of the high volume they sell in that "shop" only, not just any of the over 50 meat shops in Upton Park, hence it would be grossly unfair for people to travel all the way from kutuwenji and beyond, to get the same even poorer quality of chicken they can buy on their doorstep cool

I think what I mean is that it doesnt taste like the very soft chicken sold at Tesco, sainsbury's etc. It tastes more like Live chicken.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Busybody2(f): 6:56pm On Oct 29, 2010
Abrantie:

Look who's talking, at least our food are far healthier than your calorie-laden, heart attack inducing foods undecided Use a gallon of palm oil to cook bean stew for one, with fufu or koko drenched in 40 litre calabash of okra stew and the likes angry The kain food you only see in calabashes littering every junction in Naija as ebo (sacrifices to the gods) lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Busybody2(f): 7:05pm On Oct 29, 2010
debosky:

@ Busybody

Thanks jare. . .it would've been painful for me to come from kutuwenji only to discover that it was not live chicken. grin

Anyways, as long as it was killed very recently, that's as good as live to me. cheesy

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Yeah, they are still fresh, with dem juicy and succulent "transparent" bones, with juices which runs clear when embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Nah, its my dog that eats the bones lipsrsealed embarassed i think i talk too much lipsrsealed grin

aysometin:

I think what I mean is that it doesnt taste like the very soft chicken sold at Tesco, sainsbury's etc. It tastes more like Live chicken.

Again grin Opari o grin Today na today cheesy

tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Nobody: 10:08pm On Oct 29, 2010
Busy_body:

Again grin Opari o grin Today na today cheesy

tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

wink cheesy You have to accept that it is very close to "Live" chicken
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Busybody2(f): 10:52pm On Oct 29, 2010
^^^

I no go gree at all at all, you have to accept it is closer to "fresh" than "live" angry angry cheesy

We need a fair and impartial referee to decide the winner once and for all, and who better than my Darling lolo Debosky my loff kiss Honourable gentleman Debosky, whichever answer he chooses wins fair and square cool

Now Darling Debosky, which do you prefer -BB's choice of fresh prepared chicken imprisoned in suya spice, drenched in periperi sauce and garnished with onions and tomatoes or ay or az something or whatever that name is jare live chicken still covered in some feathers drenched and soaked in blood garnished with its innards such as the heart, the bile, the liver, etc tongue At least there can't be any claims of ojoro and favouritism because you are an impartial bystander and don't know either of us lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 29, 2010
Debosky will decide when he visits Upton park, buys the chicken and eats it

No cheating o
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Busybody2(f): 12:12am On Oct 30, 2010
Debosky, it is me your darling wifey again over to you, the battle line has been drawn, remember i will always loff you no ojoro or magomago, may the best lady B_B win grin
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by MzFrugal: 4:27pm On Oct 31, 2010
Thank you every one for your overwhelming positive responses and for not being judgemental. Speial thanks to my Sisters in the USA too for adding their two cents, please feel free to contribute as i am sure there woold be people who would benefit fromyour contribution too apart from me. Pardon me for not responding on time, we just recently moved and have not yet decided what internet service to connect and if we can afford it with our budget.

I will try and respond to every query as much as i can. My status in this Country is as an international student so geting benefits is out of the question, at least for now and the foreseeable future. And the hours i can legally do is limited, besides if i try to cut corners, i would have to fork out more for childcare and nursery fees. I already have to pay £20 per 4 hours for my baby whilst i am at work, and the other girl is 3 so gets 12 hours free per week in nursery. My Husband also came in as a student and has managed to convert his status to the work permit one, i was delayed in getting mine because he decided we should start a family and start putting down our roots and i have to respect his wishes as the head of the household, unless i want to find my Husband elsewhere.

Even by the time we regularise ourselves in this Country, if i get a fulltime job alongside my Husband, and start earning over £25,000/annum, according to the Conservative government, we will not be entitled to any tax credit as from 2012/3 and any other benefit we get will be deducted from our income pound for pound. I don't even want to think ahead.

With regards to moving and getting cheaper properties to rent, we only just recently signed a 12 months lease so if we move out, we would still be responsible for the rent till the lease expires. (and when we got this place i was very happy because tenancy is usually only for 6 months so the landlord was being generous, little did i know)Besides it was only through the grace of the most high God that my Husband was able to get this job and if we were to move to the surburbs like Grays, Lakeside and beyond, what we save in rent, will be lost in the over £140 per month it will take him to travel to work in London. And owning a car is out of the question for now. People are reluctant to hand over their council proerties for now because of the news that the Government has said their is no more Council properties for life.

I guess i can't really complain and shpuld be counting my blessings instead. We stilll have a roof over our head and a little to put food in our mouth. I don't know if it is because i handwash my clothes, but is it me or do these clothes for children from Primark and Matalan fade quickly and don't last? And thank God to shops like Next, we were able to buy clothes for around £2 per piece in their clearance shops during the sales. Be prepared for combat though, because people that want to buy these to go and sell in nigeria will elbow you out of the way and step on you to get to the clothes, lol.

As for food, i am quite conversant with Queens market and this is good because if i eat these whitey's food too much, i will blow up, and again we all know how our Nigerian men likes moaning that their wives as gotten fat and blown up, as if they temselves are slim shady.

I have checked all the websites i was linked to, especially the money savings ones and i really thank you from the bottom of my heart for this. I am learning so much from that thread and i promise to come back to this thread to keep you guys upodated and if i find any offer or deal, would not hesitate to pass it to you. I am currently researching home phone package with brodband, etc so wish me luck. Thanks everyone for the encouragement and i hope and pray God meet everyone of us all at the point of our needs in the name of Jesus.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by MzFrugal: 4:34pm On Oct 31, 2010
Please i can do hair o, well let me rephrase, i used to pin my younger ones down and do their hair for them, years ago, so if anyone don't mind me using them as a guinea pig to perfect my hands, and of course you would only have to pay me half price. i am just joking, i have forgotten how to do this, but will start learning this again in my sparetime.

Thanks everyone again for being a blessing.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 31, 2010
Nice one dear
Wish u the best but I still think 780 pounds is too much for a flat. If you get one for say 500, u save 280. if your hubby spends 180 on travel card. You still have 100 + the amount he used to spend on travel card in the past.
It would also be easier for you to get a part time job outside London. You really have to leave your comfort zone.
If you tell your landlord your hubby has been transferred or something, do you think he won't end the contract??

Try Talk Talk phone and broadband.
Broadband is free if u rent a phone from them for 12 pounds a month. you pay an extra 6.49 for essentials. In all, you get phone n broadband for less than 20 pounds.

I am not sure that's the cheapest though, just my 2 cents.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by denzel2009: 5:42pm On Oct 31, 2010
Please dont do them oyinbo foods,(The chicken sef dey always scatter for pot)they are more expensive than naija foods. If you try Peckham with £100 in your purse,you'd feed your family for a whole month.

Just buy in boxes,na your freezer go suffer.

A whole goat meat is just £16 for starters,then box of chicken,bokoto shaki and smoked turkey etc are not too dear.

Forget about yam till Christmas, I always cook my signature dish 4 plantains for dodo and egg with £2.

Buy things in Lidl, they even have the best orange juice and plum tomatoes.

They sell good stuffs in primark just dont wash them like a Nigerian.

You'll be good!
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Busybody2(f): 2:02am On Nov 01, 2010
denzel2009:

Please dont do them oyinbo foods,(The chicken sef dey always scatter for pot)they are more expensive than naija foods. If you try Peckham with £100 in your purse,you'd feed your family for a whole month.

Just buy in boxes,na your freezer go suffer.

A whole goat meat is just £16 for starters,then box of chicken,bokoto shaki and smoked turkey etc are not too dear.

Forget about yam till Christmas, I always cook my signature dish 4 plantains for dodo and egg with £2.

Buy things in Lidl, they even have the best orange juice and plum tomatoes.

They sell good stuffs in primark just dont wash them like a Nigerian.

You'll be good!

My Dazzling Dashing Darling Denzel, ko ni pami with laughter, which one be washing clothes like Nigerian style again grin And the chicken falling apart too grin No wonder lipsrsealed But gosh i am so lazy, why go all the way to the market when you can buy the oyinbo one that you can cook in 5 minutes medium rare stylee grin grin grin

Whole goat for £16 shocked Is that from top to toe, or those headless ones they hang on the rails with the prices stuck to them with white paper cheesy Yay, Peckham here i come too cheesy Thank God i can have you here all to myself without that greedy jennykadri stalking you all over the place, now pucker up and come to mama, you are in for a treat kiss kiss kiss tongue cheesy
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 02, 2010
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by armyofone(m): 7:30pm On Nov 02, 2010
Busy_body, how you dey dear,  wink see as your people dey chop fake chicken thinking na the real thing lol roflmao  grin grin
now you come warn them with ''to whom it may concern''  grin grin grin  Attention fake chicken eaters  grin

you guys come shop for New York, Georgia, MD etc for better fowl, hen, live goat carry go London Wemmy (webley)
oh mine i laugh die for the food talk wey guys like Debosky dey talk,

i usually eat the real chicken and we nicknamed it african chicken. didn't know folks in UK are having hard time with hard meat chicken. getting bored of it cuz i floss each time i eat them.

OP, stay strong okay. hard time don't last.

SemperFI
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by debosky(m): 8:55pm On Nov 02, 2010
^^ Hauwa make we come MD and Georgia just for chicken? grin grin

aysometin:

Debosky will decide when he visits Upton park, buys the chicken and eats it

No cheating o

No wahala. . . .next weekend I am carrying my white van to load it with 'live' Upton Park chicken. Kadman no need for travelcard, just pay a small fee and I will transport you there cheesy

Busy_body:

Debosky, it is me your darling wifey again over to you, the battle line has been drawn, remember i will always loff you no ojoro or magomago, may the best lady B_B win grin

If you make me pepper soup with the Peckham goat leg then I'm all yours. grin grin grin
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Nobody: 4:47am On Nov 14, 2010
Plz, how do I lose weight during this so called recession?

I've gained 30lbs, my azz have grown their own azz, my cheeks have grown their own cheeks.

How do I minimize my food intake?

Serious question.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Busybody2(f): 4:49am On Nov 14, 2010
debosky:

^^ Hauwa make we come MD and Georgia just for chicken? grin grin

No wahala. . . .next weekend I am carrying my white van to load it with 'live' Upton Park chicken. Kadman no need for travelcard, just pay a small fee and I will transport you there cheesy

If you make me pepper soup with the Peckham goat leg then I'm all yours. grin grin grin

I would have loved to cook for you to celebrate my winning the duel with aysomethingsomething, but Hauwa's post sounds like a better idea, we can take a roadtrip down Maryland and ATL plus i am sure she will not mind cooking for us too, and boy can she cook a storm, my mouth is watering already from all the assorted fresh meat she is going to be cooking for us, infact i am not gonna eat or put food in my mouth anymore until we land in Yankee. And don't worry about transport cost, i will pay for the fuel the car needs to get us there tongue

One small favour please, can you bounce Kadman from the car for being surplus to the requirement abeg, he should walk joo or find his own way angry He wan shorten our ration, he wan cramp our style,na only am get two heads angry In case aggro catch us and we decide to play Daddy and Mummy in the car  tongue cheesy 

[s]Oh why oh why oh why, i only recently enrolled in Florida University so that Fl Gators would not steal my men on campus, now i have to enlist in the Army to stop Hauwa thiefing my men too angry If i get a bullet in my yansh because of my longthroat, it will not be funny angry angry angry [/s]
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Busybody2(f): 4:55am On Nov 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Plz, how do I lose weight during this so called recession?

I've gained 30lbs, my azz have grown their own azz, my cheeks have grown their own cheeks.

How do I minimize my food intake?

Serious question.

Post pics lets see fatty bombom, and i will give you tricks to become size zero lepa like me cheesy, but promise not to reveal my secret to Jennykadry, i don't want her fat yansh to learn all my tricks and slim down and steal all my men, she must remain a 600lbs yokozuna for life >:

Iya apati knock at the door grin grin grin
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Nobody: 5:02am On Nov 14, 2010
Busy_body:

Post pics lets see fatty bombom, and i will give you tricks to become size zero lepa like me cheesy, but promise not to reveal my secret to Jennykadry, i don't want her fat yansh to learn all my tricks and slim down and steal all my men, she must remain a 600lbs yokozuna for life  >:

Iya apati knock at the door grin grin grin

Infact, I have changed my mind.

Bawomolo, dayokanu, katsumoto, and all my concubines just sent me a reply after seeing this post. Them tell me to grow bigger, dem like extra extra to grab on to.

Please, try not to jelos me while I go and get on 30 more lbs.
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Busybody2(f): 5:06am On Nov 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Infact, I have changed my mind.

Bawomolo, dayokanu, katsumoto, and all my concubines just sent me a reply after seeing this post. Them tell me to grow bigger, dem like extra extra to grab on to.

Please, try not to jelos me while I go and get on 30 more lbs.

Feel free to suffocate them with your 350lb yansh, but wait lemme get them include me in their will first biko shocked tongue cheesy
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Nobody: 5:08am On Nov 14, 2010
Busy_body:

Feel free to suffocate them with your 350lb yansh, but wait lemme get them include me in their will first biko shocked tongue cheesy
Funny thing you should mention my azz. That's where bawomolo always hide.
Each time, I keep praying he comes out of it alive.
Omo yen ti feran ikebe ju
Re: Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession by Busybody2(f): 5:11am On Nov 14, 2010
Ok seriously, to answer your question, drink maltina mixed with milk 3 times daily unfailingly, and watch the weight drop off instantly, that is the secret of my lardarse lepaciousness tongue tongue tongue

Ileke-IdI:

Funny thing you should mention my azz. That's where bawomolo always hide.
Each time, I keep praying he comes out of it alive.
Omo yen ti feran ikebe ju

At least he is better than chic2pimp wey blomblom do scatteru hin oblong head cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Trip To Sweden And Poland / Why Nairobi May Be Better Than Abuja Or Jo'burg / Nigerians In Dubai.-please, I Need Your Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.